PDA

View Full Version : Skaven and HIgh Elf Battallions up on UK Advanced Order

Etienne de Beaugard
02-04-2005, 12:53
The title says it all: http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=List_Models&code=301241&orignav=13

The High Elf Battallion is exactly what people expected.

I'm interested that the Skaven Battallion includes two clanrat regiments but no Eshin regiment. I'm also a little annoyed that GW is trying to pass off a single sprue as the Moulder Regiment.

Anyways, hope this helps

(Ducks for cover, expecting to be flamed for posting something that is hidden away on page 3 or 4 of some other thread.)

Major Defense
02-04-2005, 14:39
Meh.

I could eSnipe the 3 HE units for about $60 so I'd be looking at $40 for the plastic RBT. I guess I'll stick with the metal ones and hope somebody sells the bolt rack and spear-in-the-ground thingie on eBay.

Ethereal Alpaca
02-04-2005, 15:06
The title says it all: http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=List_Models&code=301241&orignav=13

I'm interested that the Skaven Battallion includes two clanrat regiments but no Eshin regiment. I'm also a little annoyed that GW is trying to pass off a single sprue as the Moulder Regiment.

People will need 2 clanrat units more than they need an eshin one. And that isn't one sprue, that is the regiment. :confused:

Anyway, nice to see that the battalion is looking like the perfect way for a new player to start off with skaven now. Think I'll be getting one to bolster the ranks of my rats when I have the cash... (ie, the far, far, far, far, far, far future ;) )

Baggers
02-04-2005, 15:19
Clanrats are a mainstay unit, so you need at least two units before you can think about adding anything else in.

Etienne de Beaugard
02-04-2005, 15:23
And that isn't one sprue, that is the regiment.

I know. That's what I find so annoying. Most regiment sets consist of at least two sprues worth of models. For ~$34 U.S. Why can't we get 4 ROs, 6 handlers and 12 giant rats? (asking rhetorically)

Akuma
02-04-2005, 16:17
One great thing is that in HE batt units are packed in 20 models standard not this 16 in box crap but way archers and not the other way :D - I wander - bacause its 4 boxes in battalion what will WE get ??? Any ideas or clues - my guess it's archers cavalry and ??? wardancers :confused:

Festering Chantor
02-04-2005, 16:30
Is there a set poins value on Regiments and Battalion sets? Are either ready for gaming (with the addition of a General and a decent paint job)?

Etienne de Beaugard
02-04-2005, 18:25
Is there a set poins value on Regiments and Battalion sets? Are either ready for gaming (with the addition of a General and a decent paint job)?

Nope. The Battalion sets are designed to include 4 plastic sets, which have a value of ~$120 U.S. retail for the retail price of $105.

The current trend seems to be 3 core regiments and a special regiment.

In fact, now that I think of it that way, perhaps the Moulder box will only cost $25 U.S., instead of $30. That makes things a little more palitable (though not by much).

Festering Chantor
02-04-2005, 18:31
Thanks for clearing that up for me, but the skaven battalion has three core and two special choises. Ooh... Skaven are special... nice.

Akuma
02-04-2005, 20:17
1 buy the army book than constuct army AND then buy miniatures ( it would be the best if you playd a coulple of times with it using prox ) - It has saved me multiply times - something looks good on paper but suck on the fild

Baggers
02-04-2005, 20:40
Akumua most of the army boxes are designed to give a player the core of a 1000 point army so when the characters and maybe a new unit is added they can get playing straight away.

ReaperOfSouls
03-04-2005, 10:55
Must say this batallion looks really nice. I was thinking about adding another unit of slaves + another unit of clanrats to the army, so 40 clanrat models comes really handy.

Next priority on the list was a regiment of plaguemonks, which is also in the box, and I actually need another pack of giant rats.

So by mere chance the batallion includes the exact things I've been looking to add to the army, and I even get 2 more ratogres. me likey :)

Major Defense
03-04-2005, 17:55
One great thing is that in HE batt units are packed in 20 models standard not this 16 in box crap but way archers and not the other way :D

Good point. I'd only ever take 20 archers in 2 units of 10 and I'd usually forego the command unit but somehow I doubt that they will happen to leave that option open in the sprues. 20 spearmen, on the other hand, is a great idea!

Akuma
04-04-2005, 13:51
He wil get shooting from two ranks - you'll see ;) - Thay wanted to keep it for the WE so the small and manuvrable units of 10 could shoot with 5 frontage only but since we hare that WE will skirmish as herds do ( and thay should ) there is no need for such a solution

Baggers
04-04-2005, 18:23
The High Elves had the power to shoot from two ranks in the fifth edition, along with the spearmen's power to fight in three ranks. I don't think we will see that in any update as the developers are trying to shy away from giving rank and file troops special rules.

Falkman
04-04-2005, 18:44
I think it is a typo, and that there´ll be only 16 each of archers and spearmen.
If you look at the picture, it only shows 16 of them.

Akuma
04-04-2005, 21:57
Yeah but at first thare was 20 and 20 then when i've checked up it was 16 and 20 and now you say its 16 16 :D its just get better and better :D

shutupSHUTUP!!!
05-04-2005, 06:22
I think its so you can make two units of ten archers, I doubt its a typo when the picture and text state 20 models.

Falkman
05-04-2005, 07:36
I think its so you can make two units of ten archers, I doubt its a typo when the picture and text state 20 models.

1. They always put complete box content in the Battalions, no extra sprues.
2: The picture only shows 16 archers, 8x2.

Scanno
05-04-2005, 08:13
2: The picture only shows 16 archers, 8x2.

But if they say on the website when you order it that it contains 20 archers, they have to give you 20 archers. Otherwise it would be also advertising.

ps: It's good to be back on portent; I was afraid it was dead forever.

Falkman
05-04-2005, 09:45
But if they say on the website when you order it that it contains 20 archers, they have to give you 20 archers. Otherwise it would be also advertising.

The thing is that they often have typos on the website, both regarding components of a box and the release dates of new models.

TheeForsakenOne
05-04-2005, 11:58

If thats true then why does the Empire one come with 12 knights (box of 8), 18 soldiers (19 in box) and 8 free company (20 in militia box).

Also the Orc one that comes with 19 boys (16 in box).

Although I don't know if the Skaven one contains only whole boxes the ones above most certainly do not.

Personally I'm looking forward to the lizardmen one.

Falkman
05-04-2005, 12:17
Also the Orc one that comes with 19 boys (16 in box).

As far as I know there´s 19 Orcs in a box, if they haven´t repackaged them sometime the latest year.

TheeForsakenOne
05-04-2005, 12:26
As far as I know there´s 19 Orcs in a box, if they haven´t repackaged them sometime the latest year.

I admit I was sure it was 19 as well but the online store says 16 (although the online store isn't the most accurate in the world.)

Falkman
05-04-2005, 13:13
They´re wrong on many things, that is for sure :p
Last time I checked at the back of an Orc box it said 19 models at least.

Sgt John Keel
05-04-2005, 13:36
If thats true then why does the Empire one come [...]18 soldiers (19 in box) [...]

That's actually impossible. With four men on the sprues, there can only be 4x+3 men in the box considering the three man command sprue. Or they put 3.75 sprues of soldiers in the box, which would be unlikey to say the least.

*Checks the online store.* Ah, yes. They use the parts for the champion for the general instead. Still, you can make the ordinary box in either case.

/Adrian

Akuma
05-04-2005, 14:48
Yeah and tahy often put extra things in AB ( I've got another trapper ) but sometimes thay don't put something in at all - I've bought Chaos Cavalry box and it didn't have herses inside :( - I've went to my local GW menager and he fixed it but if it would be from internet sotre ...