PDA

View Full Version : Jacka's Leviathan Project Or When is a Sand Crawler not a Sand Crawler!

Colonel Jacka
05-11-2006, 01:32
All,

This idea has been floating around in my head for a while. In the Star Wars Sand Crawler I think I have found the perfect foundation for a Capitol Imperialis. As you can see it's the right size. I was going to use Leman Russ's to provide mobility, but they will be to small and Baneblade will be to expensive. And who knows when the plastic ones will be out. Do any of you know of a military model that might do to provide mobilty for the beast? Any way have a look at the pictures and see what you think. Oh and the Chimera / Rhino Project will continue.

Kotobuki
05-11-2006, 03:10
It's close, but the front of the Capitol Imperialis sticks out at the bottom, rather than the top. Also, it has a single set of tracks on either side. But, the sand crawler is a pretty good way to get a start. (Gee, I wonder where GW got the design from in the first place)

Colonel Jacka
05-11-2006, 03:14
That's correct and I will be using extensive amounts of plastic card to develop this shape further. I have bought a Demolisher and will use this to finish my latest Destroyer (another project sperate from this one). That has some Plasma and Flamer Sponsons. The beast will have twin linked sponsons, a Leman Russ or Baneblade Roof mounted Cupola, a Demolisher gun and on the roof a heavy linked Twin Stubber (FW) with two crew served Auto Cannon / Las Guns mounts. I have got the new Cadian Command Squad from FW and I have plenty of Squats and Cadians to man crew served positions.

Galvatron
05-11-2006, 03:19
Perhaps some further inspiration with a picture. Just make sure to make it look gothic, and not so plain like the gw one done in the picture.

Ziljin
05-11-2006, 03:52
wow that thing looks great. Do you plan on doing any other star wars conversions?

Maus
05-11-2006, 04:06
I wonder if you could use any of the Cities of Death parts to dress it up a little. Might look pants though.

Colonel Jacka
05-11-2006, 04:24
Perhaps some further inspiration with a picture. Just make sure to make it look gothic, and not so plain like the gw one done in the picture.

Not bad at all. I am trying to get away from the epic shape a little but that one looked great. I will make it look Gothic and I will use City of death parts.

Easy E
05-11-2006, 07:07
I actually think that the Sand Crawler is to small for a CI. In addition, the sand crawlers proportions are the reverse of a CI. The top is wider and the front sticks out on the sand crawler, where it is the reverse on a CI.

I personnally feel that a completely scratchbuilt frame is needed.

That being said, I love the idea of using CoD parts to "gothic it up". I look forward to seeing this project develop.

citizenkade
05-11-2006, 07:24
Man, that beats the hell out of my shoe box on roller skates proxy model!

Colonel Jacka
05-11-2006, 11:33
Man, that beats the hell out of my shoe box on roller skates proxy model!

True but the whole point of this is to try! :D Ok my first problem is the drive chain! I was going to use Leman Russ's as the basis of this, but they are two small. Does anyone know a military model kit that will give me long and broad tracks to attach to the hull? Advice is requested! :D

firestorm40k
05-11-2006, 11:49
Hmm, I just don't think it's big enough. In Epic, the CI was nearly as tall as a Warlord Titan, so I think a 40k one would need to be at least 3foot tall, perhaps 3-4foot long (at least).

The pictoral representations of them in codexes and other artwork depict them as being absolutely huge, looming over the battle-field.

Anyway, good luck with this, hope this is of some use to you! :cool:

Mr Zephy
05-11-2006, 11:53
Maybe two 1:32 Tiger models? Can't remember who makes them, (Taimco?) but they're next to the airfix in my hobby shop. big rubber tracks with plenty of wheels. The turret might even work as a gun for the top and it'll have some smokestack gubbins for sprucing it up.

Colonel Jacka
05-11-2006, 12:00
FS40K,

You are thinking of a Leviathan! A CI is a Command Vehicle for a Brigade Group. About 60 Troopers man it. What I want to achieve it a vehicle that met the rules. And is something I can field in a game! At the end I think you will say, 'Jacka you mad bugger that works!'

Hmm! And this is huge its four times as big as a Leman Russ and it makes my Baneblade look small!

Colonel Jacka
05-11-2006, 12:17
Maybe two 1:32 Tiger models? Can't remember who makes them, (Taimco?) but they're next to the airfix in my hobby shop. big rubber tracks with plenty of wheels. The turret might even work as a gun for the top and it'll have some smokestack gubbins for sprucing it up.

Yes I know double post! :( Sorry! But, thanks mate that's what I would like to know! :D Big wheels wide tracks I think you are right! I saw a model of a railway gun but I am not sure of the size, does anyone have one? Also I'm not sure if 1:32 is the way to go. Hmmmm! 1:48 maybe any ideas?

Rictus
05-11-2006, 12:32
FS40K,

You are thinking of a Leviathan! A CI is a Command Vehicle for a Brigade Group. About 60 Troopers man it. What I want to achieve it a vehicle that met the rules. And is something I can field in a game! At the end I think you will say, 'Jacka you mad bugger that works!'

Hmm! And this is huge its four times as big as a Leman Russ and it makes my Baneblade look small!

It's the other way round, the Leviathan is the command vehicle while the Capital Imperialis is a pure transport vehicle, designed to carry a huge amount of troops or vehicles, and is bigger than the Leviathan by quite a degree. From what I can remember from my Epic days the CI could carry three super heavies (the the epic model was under size).

Brush your teeth
05-11-2006, 12:35
ok, just looking at your sand crawler and the picture Galvatron posted, would it be easier to turn the sand crawler upside down rather than do lots of work to make skirting at the base of the sand crawler?

just that upside down, the basic shape of the CI and sand crawler would look far more similar and it would involve a lot less plasticard constuction work...

you'd obviously have to take the trakcs of the sand crawler and find some trancks to put on the underside.

Colonel Jacka
05-11-2006, 12:41
Yes I have considered this. I may turn it upside down. Be patient though I think this will work as a Command Vehicle for the 'Orphans'!

Gen.Steiner
05-11-2006, 12:42
You mad bugger, Jacka! :p

All the best for this project...

...try not to go completely barking though, we'll need you for the next global campaign.

Colonel Jacka
05-11-2006, 12:43
Agreed General. Now suggest a good track system that I could use.

Brush your teeth
05-11-2006, 12:49
http://www.tamiya.com/

take a look through the 1/35 range, that should work for this beast

marineowar
05-11-2006, 12:51
Gen.Steiner - what do you mean "go completely barking"??? Jacka's been completely barking for years now. Possibly decades. I'm sure he'll make the global campaign anyway, being stark raving mad has never stopped him before.

Jacka - Can't wait to see the finished product mate. Great idea.

rabid stoat
05-11-2006, 14:53
MAUS! MAUS! For crying out loud!

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned it yet but Dragon (plastic scale model manufacturers) have released a 1/35th scale WWII German Maus Heavy/Super Heavy Tank. I've seen the tracks for these used for Baneblade scratchbuilds and they should retail for $40-$70, not bad when compared to a FW Baneblade.

firestorm40k
05-11-2006, 16:25
It's the other way round, the Leviathan is the command vehicle while the Capital Imperialis is a pure transport vehicle, designed to carry a huge amount of troops or vehicles, and is bigger than the Leviathan by quite a degree. From what I can remember from my Epic days the CI could carry three super heavies (the the epic model was under size).

Thanks for the clarification, Rictus. Yeah, I've got an Epic Leviathan (boxed up in storage at the mo!), and if I remember correctly it is slightly longer than a Super-heavy tank and about 2 1/2 times the height, at least. It'll be the command tank of my Epic Mechanised Guard.

So yeah, a CI IS much bigger than a Leviathan... I'll try and find some pics to illustrate!

*EDIT* I've found a pic of the Epic CI: from stuff of legends (http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c2125epiccapitalimp-02.jpg)
and a comparison pic with some other miniatures: Kotrin's Ultramarines (http://www.stephane.info/res/gallery/ne_ultramarines/4_epic_ultramarine_tanks.jpg)

Sotec
05-11-2006, 16:38
True but the whole point of this is to try! :D Ok my first problem is the drive chain! I was going to use Leman Russ's as the basis of this, but they are two small. Does anyone know a military model kit that will give me long and broad tracks to attach to the hull? Advice is requested! :D

http://www.pbase.com/tepoc/cathedral_imperialis

This project was for epic but you could use the tracks plan idea as a basis more making much bigger tracks as big as you need them. Try using Hellcannon wheels or large plastic artillary wheels as drive wheels and scratch bulding something with titan basis (60mm thins) for the drive wheels.

Cheers!
Sotec

Galvatron
05-11-2006, 17:44
I was thinking about this capitol imperialis project because of how great it would be for mega games.

I think you could actually keep it quite "modern" if you took the original design and added flying buttresses to the sides, maybe 3 or 4. That would goth it up plenty without overkill. I think that "Catherdral Imperialis" is a bit overkill on the gothic side of things. Knowing what army its going to be for or where it was manufactured will also determine its gothicness I think.

As for large tracks... I don't know if there are any big enough for a 40k scale CI.

Colonel Jacka
05-11-2006, 20:56
Thanks for the clarification, Rictus. Yeah, I've got an Epic Leviathan (boxed up in storage at the mo!), and if I remember correctly it is slightly longer than a Super-heavy tank and about 2 1/2 times the height, at least. It'll be the command tank of my Epic Mechanised Guard.

So yeah, a CI IS much bigger than a Leviathan... I'll try and find some pics to illustrate!

FS40K and Rictus,

Thanks for that guys as you can see I have modified the title of the project to 'Jacka's Leviathan Project '. It will be a Command vehicle for the 'Orphans'. And keep the ideas coming on tracks.

Rictus
05-11-2006, 21:30
FS40K and Rictus,

Thanks for that guys as you can see I have modified the title of the project to 'Jacka's Leviathan Project '. It will be a Command vehicle for the 'Orphans'. And keep the ideas coming on tracks.

Glad to be of some help. I am looking forward to watching the project progress. I am a fan of the Leviathan (and the CI) even though i've never been a big fan of it's main weapon. I would love to have a Leviathan leading my IG and armoured company.

I admit that a part of me is a bit worried that I will be inspired to build one myself, I have enough on my to do list without adding 'Leviathan' to it. But one would look good....

Galvatron
07-11-2006, 00:43
Oh ok, leviathan now.

I actually prefer leviathans to CIs. More of a front line command fortress/vehicle than a behind the lines command vehicle/hospital/transport in a jam like the CI is.

I was actually playing around with some Leviathan VDR options. It ended up being around 1000pts. With an IG crew, Long barreled Demolisher cannon (anything beyond long barrel makes it pointless in a game IMO, unless you really needed the titan killer ability), A battle cannon, 4 twin linked heavy bolters (2 on each side) and 3 twin linked lascannons (1 on each side, one on the back). 4 damage points, 3 void shields, and can carry 26 (although the rules dont allow for more, I would bet it would be closer to 100). But with 26 it can still carry a tank of some kind, a full squad, and a command squad. or two squads and a command squad.

The german fellow who did those lovely "taipan" 40k tank company made a wonderful side profile drawing of the leviathan. Perhaps it will help you with construction. It even has some gothic windows etc to keep it current.

As you can see in the picture, the tracks are obviously chimera chassis. Given that, I would say this drawing is to scale.

Quin 242
07-11-2006, 01:24
ok, just looking at your sand crawler and the picture Galvatron posted, would it be easier to turn the sand crawler upside down rather than do lots of work to make skirting at the base of the sand crawler?

just that upside down, the basic shape of the CI and sand crawler would look far more similar and it would involve a lot less plasticard constuction work...

you'd obviously have to take the trakcs of the sand crawler and find some trancks to put on the underside.

I second this idea... Turned over it is almost dead on.. just need to get the tracks in one continuous band rather than 4 sets...

Colonel Jacka
07-11-2006, 10:03
Oh ok, leviathan now.

The german fellow who did those lovely "taipan" 40k tank company made a wonderful side profile drawing of the leviathan. Perhaps it will help you with construction. It even has some gothic windows etc to keep it current.

As you can see in the picture, the tracks are obviously chimera chassis. Given that, I would say this drawing is to scale.

Galvatron,

Thanks for the drawing that is excellant! It gives me a good guide to shape and size. I will use some of the ideas in it. :D I have thought of turning it upside down , but I have an idea that may negate the need and produce the shape I want!

Mr Zephy
08-11-2006, 17:54
Any news? Please say the project's not going to die...

Colonel Jacka
08-11-2006, 20:04
No the project is not going to die. But it will be a slow one! I am gathering parts at the moment.

asmodai_dark86
09-11-2006, 03:42
Ahhh Jacka, bringing another tear to the old dogs eyes

I'll keep an eye on this one matey, although by the looks of it your doing alright.

If your after something totally new, hows about a double wedge at the front?
So it looks like it has two prongs, and in the middle is where troops can disembark... I dunno if that makes sense but give me a shout if you want a picture (it reminds me of the societ harvester in Red Alert 2)

Anyway keep it up!

Colonel Jacka
09-11-2006, 04:39
AD86,

I have worked the rear door out and this involves a bit of cutting , but this should not present problems because of the type of plastic it is made out. The double prong idea is not bad, a bit like a battering ram on a war galley. I just have to get the basic shape right first and that will involve a lot of work in changing the profille of the front of the vehicle.

Gonfrask
09-11-2006, 23:15
Mine is bigger XD, well, this is a good idea, i will follow this project very closely

Colonel Jacka
09-11-2006, 23:55
Gonfrask,

Haha! Sorry yours is a bigger XD? :wtf: You have to explain that one I'm lost! :eyebrows:

Mr Zephy
11-11-2006, 16:10
I think he just means that his is bigger, and then laughs...

Easy E
12-11-2006, 07:19
Mine is bigger XD, well, this is a good idea, i will follow this project very closely

He's refering to his on Capital Imperialis project thread. His own design is a larger construction than Jacka's attempting.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49230

That is all.

Colonel Jacka
12-11-2006, 07:28
Easy E,

Ta thanks for that mate it all becomes clear! Thanks for the link. Two projects on similar theme. We can steal ideas from each other.

Gonfrask
12-11-2006, 12:46
We can steal ideas from each other.

I hope you donīt...i will hate have to kill you XD

Zorgislav
12-11-2006, 15:01
I love the multiple builds of the Leviathan thats been popping up lately :)
Heres another one for studing: http://z11.invisionfree.com/Work_In_Progress/index.php?showtopic=5771&st=30
I like the size and overall dimension on this one.

Colonel Jacka
17-12-2006, 05:21
Zorgislav,

Thanks for that mate, got a coule of ideas from that. The projects not dead yet, but will continue in the new year.