PDA

View Full Version : Is Terra considered the Black Templars home world?

Slazton
03-07-2005, 18:20
In Words of Blood, in the short story Manskinner, the Balck Templars speak of Terra as their homeworld.

Now I know they are a Crusading force and only recruit as they go along, but is that out-dated fluff or is still considered tied to their background?

gunhed
03-07-2005, 19:36
They're still a Crusading Chapter, but seeing as how their Progenitors were the Imperial Fists who although originally had Inwuit listed as their homeworld (oddly though the SM Codex lists Terra as the IF homeworld. Anyone have any explanations for this?) yet recruit from everywhere including Necromunda and even Holy Terra itself, I suppose there might be some tenuous link between the BT's and Terra.

I can't really see it as being strong enough for them to say that Terra is their Homeworld though. At least not in the sense that the Blood Angels have Baal and the Space Wolves have Fenris.

Talkie Toaster
03-07-2005, 19:53
(oddly though the SM Codex lists Terra as the IF homeworld. Anyone have any explanations for this?)
The IF fortress-monastery was on Terra, and got wrecked during the Heresy. Only one bit of one corner survives, where they IF stick relics and stuff IIRC. They may have a space station base in orbit around Terra, I'm not sure.

Lord-Warlock
03-07-2005, 20:00
I believe they have - the Phalanx. Then again there was some blurb about an IF base-vessel being shot down over Terra during the Heresy, but I think that was a different craft.

Otherwise - the Black Templars probably have Terra as their symbolic homeworld vaguely in the same way as the Dark Angels have Caliban, IMO.

Brusilov
03-07-2005, 20:27
The Phalanx is the fortress-monastery of the IF, it's a space station the size of a small moon that Rogal Dorn offered to the Emperor when they found each other during the Heresy. As the guardians and builders of the Emperor's Palace the IF maintain a presence on Terra but their true home is Phalanx, and they recruit from many worlds including Necromunda IIRC.

Terra is not the homeworld of the Black Templars, they have none. They have no Fortress Monastey, only Keeps spread throughout the galaxy on worlds the Chapter conquered or liberated. They see themselves at home throughout the whole Imperium, in the void between stars and on the field of battle.

EmperorsChamp01
04-07-2005, 10:26
No the BT do not have a homeworld. They are a Crusading chapter. They have a bunch of ships and out posts. Just like Brusilov said. They have keeps and fleets of ships. They might have been Remembering Terra because all Humanity came from there so they have a sence of Kinship to it but its noth their homeworld.

And the Phalanx is a fortress monestairy that Rogal Dorn gave to the Emperor after the Emperor Rediscovered him. It wasnt given to him after the Heresy.

Psiweapon
04-07-2005, 10:30
In what kind of world did Rogal Dorn fall to be able to construct / get hold of such a "death star" thing?

EmperorsChamp01
04-07-2005, 10:38
Different worlds have different technology. This was durring the end of the DAoT. It wasnt a Death Star thing it was just like a Moon. And it all depensds on the Planets Tech level. Like you know how on Fenis is vary primitave and Baal is very advansed.

Karhedron
04-07-2005, 10:47
In what kind of world did Rogal Dorn fall to be able to construct / get hold of such a "death star" thing?
Rogal Dorn was discovered on the "Ice Hives of Inwit". This suggests a fairly high tech Hive world. The Phalanx itself is described as dating from the Dark Age of Technology so Dorn found it rather than constructing it.

During the Age of Strife, pre-Imperial human society collapsed. However not every world degenerated into total anarchy. Although Terra was completely isolated by Warp Storms, limited Warp Travel was still possible in other parts of the galaxy. This means that in some areas, small groups of systems banded together for mutual defence or were lucky enough to fall victim to alien or chaos attacks. It is quite possible that Inwit may have remained a relatively civilised world during the Age of Strife.

Remember that although a great deal of human advancement was lost in the Age of Strife, more was actually lost in the Horus Heresy. The Emperor spent the Great Crusade collecting advanced tech (among other things) with which to help build the Imperium. This archive was stored on Mars by the AM. However when the Horus Heresy broke out, half the AM sided with Horus and Mars became a battleground. The technology, data and other goodies the Emperor had collected were destroyed.

On Mars civil war rages between factions of Tech-Priests. Ancient, forbidden weapons are being deployed. Viral plagues kill millions. Fusion bombs scar the earth.

So much will be lost. He thinks of the slow piecing together of the old science. The Librarium Technologicus is in flame now, ancient core data systems in meltdown. The Great Crusade, as much a quest for knowledge as a war to reclaim the human worlds, is ended. The Warmaster's treachery has seen to that.

Brother Smith
04-07-2005, 11:02
Baal is very advansed.

Baal WAS extremely advanced but towards the end of the age of strife was completely obliterated.

EmperorsChamp01
04-07-2005, 11:21
Yea i know ive read the fluff on Baal. They have to be advanced if all thier people have to wear special suits to travel around
In like Fenris which is so primative that they dont even build their houses out of stone

Karhedron
04-07-2005, 12:09
Yea i know ive read the fluff on Baal. They have to be advanced if all thier people have to wear special suits to travel around
Umm, there are no people left alive on Baal, suited or otherwise. Only the moons are still inhabitable (barely) but the inhabitants use suits patched together from what little scrap they can find. Plus they are not uniformly irradiated meaning that some places are less hostile than others. The Blood Angels can survive on Baal thanks to their enhancements but there is no native population on the planet itself.

EmperorsChamp01
04-07-2005, 14:16
No there where people who in habitated Baal. Go to google and look up Red Elf and youll find the answers there.

Brusilov
04-07-2005, 18:45
On the matter of the Phalanx, it's a leftover from the technology of the Dark Age of Technology, from a time when humanity could blew up worlds for breakfast and build ships the size of small moons to carry their armies...

gunhed
04-07-2005, 20:08
Rogal Dorn was discovered on the "Ice Hives of Inwit".

I'd say the name Inwit is a corruption of Inuit, which would suggest the natives are decendants of North Alaskan/Canadian ice dwellers. That and the fact that the IF still practise scrimshaw on the bones of their fallen.

DantesInferno
04-07-2005, 23:43
No there where people who in habitated Baal. Go to google and look up Red Elf and youll find the answers there.

No, the planet of Baal is uninhabited (except for the Blood Angels, presumably). The Baalite tribes referred to in the IA article are the inhabitants of Baal Secundus, one of the moons. The people of Baal have always lived on its moons Baal Prime and Baal Secundus, not the actual planet.

Check the 2nd ed Codex: Angels of Death if you are still unconvinced, it's explained more clearly there.

On the matter of the Phalanx, it's a leftover from the technology of the Dark Age of Technology, from a time when humanity could blew up worlds for breakfast and build ships the size of small moons to carry their armies...

"That's no moon." :p

just
05-07-2005, 02:55
Rogal Dorn was discovered on the "Ice Hives of Inwit".

Actually, according to the IF Index Astartes, it was Rogal Dorn who sought out the Emperor. He is pretty unique in that aspect. His pod did crash on Inwit though, so he supposedly grew up there.

Brothergrimm
05-07-2005, 03:37
Most of the legions/chapters can call terra a brith place but not a home world most of the space marines who followed the emperor on the great crusadei n the beging where recriuted from earth and it's surrounding system's. Dorn did indeed go looking for the emperor that's way the imperial fists are littel changed from there origins since 70% of the chapter where iniates when dorn found the emperor (I.A tellls it better.).

Slazton
05-07-2005, 04:17
As stated, I know about the Black Templars, but alas you should read that short story then, as the way they talk about Terra, it as if they are talking of their homeworld.

Read it.

Words of Blood, first short story called 'Words of 'Blood' by Ben Counter, the known Fluff Heretic.

All I am asking, is or was it ever Black Templars homeworld until GW altered the fluff?

Or is there a Black Templar base there? As the Commander speaks of his Assault Sergeant being tested there to see if he would suffer from rebellion or not, and at the end of the story, they talk about going back to Terra.

So is this is be considered fiction then? ;)

MorningStar
05-07-2005, 04:45
Well considering Terra is the cradle of human civilization it would seem that it is the "home world" of all humans.

EmperorsChamp01
05-07-2005, 05:45
No the BT have never had a home world. They have always been on crusades(Longest running crusade in the Imperium over 10,000 years). They might have been thinking that sence Earth is the Cradle of Mankind that It is thier homeworld but its not. They are the BT CRUSADE army. Note the Crusade part. They have no homeworld. Thread Closed!!

MorningStar
06-07-2005, 05:17
Not that I don't agree the BTs have no home world, technically they are an IF successor so by proxy it is theres, just like Macragge is homeworld to all UMs successors, and Baal is homeworld to all BA successors and so on. But again Holy Terra is all of mankinds home world. Be it the mighty space marine to the lowly hive gangers.

Brusilov
06-07-2005, 06:35
I'm not so sure successor Chapters would consider the home world of their parent Chapter to be their home world. Just look at the Mortificators in Warriors of Ultramar, I don't think they look at Macragge at their home world. Chapters can have a widely different personality, and Chapters consider themselves to be independent and sovereign and don't want to be seen as subordinated to anyone else.