PDA

View Full Version : Overrun over friendly models.

T10
05-11-2006, 17:29
Simplified situation description:

Troll charges Dire Wolves and fight a round of combat.

Draw.

Black Knights charge the troll in the flank and kill it.

Overrun for the black knights.
Dire Wolves stay put - no overrun.

The Black Knights will need to move over the Dire Wolves in order to carry out the pursuit move, but the rules indicate that pursuing (overrunning) units must stop when they contact friendly units.

Allowing the overrun was reasonable (the Black Knights did, after all, win) and the situation was resolved in favour of this with the D6 roll.

-T10

Falkman
05-11-2006, 17:50
Well, going by RAW (but any sane gamer should stay away from RAW for RAW's sake) it would not be allowed, but as you say, it would be reasonable to let them pursue, and I would certainly let them do it.

WLBjork
05-11-2006, 17:52
I always thought that any friendly unit from the same combat would be discounted for pursuing, but unfortunately I cannot find anything to support this.

I can argue it either way, but in this case would come down on the side of the unit being unable to overrun.

Festus
05-11-2006, 17:58
Hi

I am still on the fence with this one. It is not allowed by the letter of the rules, and I don't see the necessity to do so... but I still understand the reasoning from a simulation point of view... but there always is the other side: Your own troops will not want to be braought into disorder just because you are headstrong... but...

If asked now in a game, I probably won't allow it - barring any good arguments...

Festus

mageith
05-11-2006, 20:19
The Black Knights will need to move over the Dire Wolves in order to carry out the pursuit move, but the rules indicate that pursuing (overrunning) units must stop when they contact friendly units.

Allowing the overrun was reasonable (the Black Knights did, after all, win) and the situation was resolved in favour of this with the D6 roll.

I've always argued that the overrun was legal.

I've always argued that units cannot move through other units and the direwolves would block the knights. But the current edition now has units running through each other all the time, so that argument's not as strong.

I actually couldn't find the rule that says units must stop when they hit friendly units on page 43 or 45. Am I blind?

I did find this: "Occassionally, pursuing units can get in each other's way as they pursue. In such rare cases, move the pursuing units in order of decreasing unit strength." (43) Also the graphics on 43.1 show units moving through each other, sort of. This is not quite on point, of course, since both units are not pursuing/overrunning.

At this point I wouldn't claim the ability, but would allow my opponent to pursue through friendly units as long as he got all the way through them pursuant to a dice off. Since this can be either deterimental or advantageous it would be nice to have a definitive answer.

If you find your quote on stopping when hitting friendly units, that would probably be definite for me.

Festus
05-11-2006, 20:37
Hi

I actually couldn't find the rule that says units must stop when they hit friendly units on page 43 or 45. Am I blind?
No, you are not blind. It is only well hidden :)

Page 43 (right column) says that an overrunning unit behaves like a pursuing unit, and the left colum tells us that a pursuing unit stops if it hits friendly troops. This is not a problem in a pursue situation, as the other unit would pursue as well, and then you have the rule to move them in order of US.

If you restrain from pursuit, this unit may well block friendly units in a pursuit.

Festus