PDA

View Full Version : Hellcannon queries.

Makaber
06-11-2006, 22:23
I recently played a tournament with an army containing the Hellcannon, and while terribly fun to use (if not exactly cost efficient), I do have the following questions about it, that I was hoping I could get some feedback and rules clarifications on.

Can the Hellcannon pursue enemies it breaks in close combat?
Can the Hellcannon use it's breath attack in the close combat phase? The rules for the Ichor attack states it works like a breath attack, not that it technically is one. Also, the rampage rules says its limited to its Ichor attack when rampaging or in close combat.
If the Hellcannon spews Ichor, any units under the template must take a Terror test. How will this affect units that cause Fear?
The large template effect of a Hellcannon shot forces a Psychology test, and if failed the unit in question will flee. This means it works exactly like a Panic test, even if it isn't one per se. Does this mean a unit might have to take two "Panic" tests in the same round, one for casualties suffered and another for the large template effect?
How are victory points for the Hellcannon calculated? By the rules, it grants its full point value once the crew is dead, being a war machine, but this seems odd in the Hellcannons case.
And, similarly, can a Hellcannon claim quarters?

kaldour
07-11-2006, 01:17
- I don't really know about this one... and I ran into it on saturday, any help?
- no it can't. It was a little ambiguous under old rules, but 7th edition rules are very explicit about breath weapons. So no, you can't shot it in CC, regardless of the poor wording.
-Units who cause fear would not be affected by terror tests.
-Yes. The first one is a direct effect of the shot, and despite similarities isn't explicitly defined as a panic test... you can in fact require two test-or-flee tests in the same turn.
-don't know.
-also don't know!

Makaber
09-11-2006, 23:42
Nobody knows?

TheWarSmith
10-11-2006, 00:30
Just gotta give props to Kaldour's name. I have a whole unit based around Kaldour and his knights, with full conversions.

sphincter man
09-02-2007, 19:13
a unit that causes fear is not affected by a unit that causes fear.

if facing a unit/monster etc. that causes TERROR the fear causing unit only has to take a fear test and not a terror test.

a terror causing unit is not affected by terror/ fear at all.

T10
09-02-2007, 23:44
I recently played a tournament with an army containing the Hellcannon, and while terribly fun to use (if not exactly cost efficient), I do have the following questions about it, that I was hoping I could get some feedback and rules clarifications on.

Without going into technicalities: Yes. The crew and the warmachine pursues as a unit. Normal warmachines don't pursue because the artillery piece does not move on its own volition. The Hell Cannon most certainly does.

Can the Hellcannon use it's breath attack in the close combat phase? The rules for the Ichor attack states it works like a breath attack, not that it technically is one. Also, the rampage rules says its limited to its Ichor attack when rampaging or in close combat.

It can be used, if awkwardly, in close combat. Try it: it works.

If the Hellcannon spews Ichor, any units under the template must take a Terror test. How will this affect units that cause Fear?

It will have no effect. Failing a Terror check causes the unit to flee from the source of Terror. Failing a Fear check causes the target unit to flee if CHARGED by an OUTNUMBERING unit.

The large template effect of a Hellcannon shot forces a Psychology test, and if failed the unit in question will flee. This means it works exactly like a Panic test, even if it isn't one per se. Does this mean a unit might have to take two "Panic" tests in the same round, one for casualties suffered and another for the large template effect?

Yes. And it sucks.

How are victory points for the Hellcannon calculated? By the rules, it grants its full point value once the crew is dead, being a war machine, but this seems odd in the Hellcannons case.

Awkward. I would prefer to treat it as a Monster with Handlers rather than a warmachine with crew in this matter.

And, similarly, can a Hellcannon claim quarters?

As above.

-T10

ZomboCom
10-02-2007, 10:17
The victory points are worked out as follows (per the SoC FAQ)

If you kill all the crew but the machine lives you get half points.

If you kill the machine you get full points, whether the crew live or not.

Festus
10-02-2007, 11:21
Hi

It has not to restrain itself if it does not want to pursue. It can always stay put (BRB, p.86)

Yes, it may use the Ichor in the shooting phase, even if it is in combat. It may only spew Ichor then, and may not shoot normally (SoC, p.16)

Models who cause fear, treat Terror as Fear instead. So the models would take a fear test. As this cannot make you run away, there is no point in doing so if not in close combat with the Cannon at the same time(which could cause your troops to only hit on a 6)

Correct.

How are victory points for the Hellcannon calculated? By the rules, it grants its full point value once the crew is dead, being a war machine, but this seems odd in the Hellcannons case.Odd or not, that ^^ (see FAQ) is the rules.

And, similarly, can a Hellcannon claim quarters?As the Cannon has US 6+X for the crew, it is more than US5 and thus can claim or contest quarters.
BRB, p.102

Festus

jullevi
10-02-2007, 13:17
The first two questions are answered in the Hellcannon rules:

When the Hellcannon is rampaging or in combat it may only Spew Ichor in the Shooting Phase. It may never pursue.

Festus
10-02-2007, 16:50
Hi

The first two questions are answered in the Hellcannon rules:
This is in the Rampaging rules of the Hellcannon. Only if it is rampaging it may not pursue.

Festus