PDA

View Full Version : In Need of Help: 2000pt Best Dwarf Army Ever

kermit
06-11-2006, 23:05
Hello Everyone,

I am in need of a little bit of help. In December my local store is having their Warhammer championship tournament... so I come here with "enough" time for me to finish the army to play.

I would like to come up with the strongest, take all comers dwarf army possible. I know I will be going against Chaos (Khorne), Ogres, Wood Elves, Lizardmen, High Elves, Orc & Goblins and probably Bretonians.

What I have to choose from:

Anvil of Doom
Thanes, Lords, Engineers etc.
Warriors (2 squad of 25)
Long Beards (1 squad of 25)
Thunderers (15)
Quarrellers (15)
2 Bolt Throwers
2 Cannons
1 Organ Gun
1 Gyrocopter

I am hoping to get 20+ miners in the next few days.

I have read as many tactics I possibly can, I just can't choose what would do me the best. So, please provide your opinions on how I could best field this army to WIN!

Thank you in advance,

kermit

Danger Rat
07-11-2006, 07:56
Looking at the list of opponents I would go with the anvil, both bolt throwers both cannons and the organ gun. both missile units and a unit of warriors. And then take the enginneer upgrade with the bolt throwers and 1 master enginneer for one of the cannons. Id take a thane to beef up the warriors in combat.

Not sure about the miners as most of those armies are going to have to come to you and the miners ability may be wasted that and there special slot could be used by another war machine

Rikkjourd
07-11-2006, 12:57
A smallish unit of miners can be very handy against enemies that want to get into CC as fast as possible, for several reasons:
1. If he leaves nothing in his table side you get a free table quarter (can be very important in some scenarios)
2. If he tries to go after the miners you will have less to deal with for your gun line. The miners can try to utilize terrain to deny him getting the points for them too.
3. If he leaves so much as a single warmachine or shooting unit in his deployment zone they are in trouble. If he tries to guard them with another unit it is just better for you, diverting units from getting to your gun line.
etc.

Finn Sourscowl
07-11-2006, 14:05
I really don't like gun line armies, since I find them very dull. So my advice would be to take all the combat units you have including the miners and (my own preferance), a lord, BSB, runesmith and possibly a dragon slayer if you have one. A gyrocopter should also be an automatic choice. Any points left, take a warmachine or 2 (a bolt thrower with engineer upgrade and a rune of penetrating will deal with most things). The anvil would probably make this an even stronger list, especially in conjuction with the miners, but I'm contrary and don't like the current "you have to take one to make a strong dwarf list" theory :p This gives you a really attacking army that can hold its own against most opponents.

A more balanced Dwarf list should also work well, with a combination of missile troops, combat troops and warmachines. Form a castle of the missle/warmachines and let them come at you.

At the end of the day, though, it's up to your style of play.

Good luck!

kermit
07-11-2006, 14:45
Thank you very much for the feed back.

Yes, I do have something that could pass as a dragon slayer... the nice GD Slayer will make his premier... maybe!

I have tried the gun line at the last tournament I was in... which made one of the ogre players bring a gorger to the last tournament... that I couldn't play in. It did work very nicely, but I am not sure what people thought about it, except one person who defended it as a "good dwarf army" to his mother when I was handing him his back side.

I have never used my anvil, and was leaning that way. With that said though, I would be very happy to have more ideas on what to do!

Thank you again!

kermit

Rikkjourd
07-11-2006, 15:52
I really don't like gun line armies, since I find them very dull.

Well, in my post I really didn't mean the horrible gun line of doom, I just meant that most dwarf armies tend to have some shooting (too good to not include!) and generally be attacked by the opponent who tends to cover ground alot faster. I too prefer mixed dwarf armies (though I play against them, not with them).

Finn Sourscowl
08-11-2006, 07:54
Well, in my post I really didn't mean the horrible gun line of doom, I just meant that most dwarf armies tend to have some shooting (too good to not include!) and generally be attacked by the opponent who tends to cover ground alot faster. I too prefer mixed dwarf armies (though I play against them, not with them).

Fair enough :) I have to say that for the past 13 years, my dwarf armies have tended to be mixed with a smatering of missile troops and a handful of warmachines as well as a tooled up lord and a couple of hard combat units. It's only with the new book that I've started to think about the "horde" dwarf army and how effective it could be. That said, I still think I'd end up taking at least one warmachine... it'd just feel wrong not to :p

Kermit has almost enough units to make such a horde army at 2000 points. Although maybe he could do with a unit of Hammerers or Ironbreakers as another elite... So maybe a more balanced army would work better. All three 25 dwarf combat regiments, the miners, the thunderers, gyrocopter, bolt thrower and a cannon, led by either the anvil, a BSB and a dragon slayer or a Lord, BSB, Runesmith and dragon slayer.

Good luck with it, let us know how you do and what you decide upon!