PDA

View Full Version : 1000pt empire army.

showmydog
07-11-2006, 02:08
I'm Painting up this 1000pt army to play at my local club/store.
I Don't want it to be uber-competitive or powergaming, I want a balanced army that relies very little on any one unit and showcases the army.
Here are my thoughts so far:

Captain Full Plate, Halberd 62
19 Swordsmen Full Command 158
8 Free Company 40
8 Crossbows 64

Battle Wizard Wizard Staff, Doomfire Ring 100
10 Archers

20 Free Company Musician

6 Pistoliers Marksman with Repeater Pistol 131

6 Inner Circle Knights Standard, First Knight 188

I'm just unsure what to spend the other 70pt on, perhaps a mortar? or maybe a war banner for the knights?

Ps. i enjoy Free company and anything built out of the militia box.

showmydog
07-11-2006, 07:17
*bump?*

Mephistofeles
07-11-2006, 17:19
I say take the Free Company Detachment up to 10, same with crossbowmen, and take the Swordsmen up to 25.

Take a Musician for the Knights, but maybe take away the banner, not sure there.

And yeah, if you don't have any personal feelings for the Halberd, use a Great Weapon, I think it might be better, as long as he's on foot.

That leaves you 9 points. If I would have my way, I would take away the archers, and take Handgunners or a Cannon. I think you really need a Cannon.

showmydog
07-11-2006, 22:03
Musician but not a standard for the Knights?

*Not taking HG's as it gives me a reason to paint the archers, plus i want an army thats more clean shaven.

*No cannon so i have to deal with big bad men another way, gives me a challenge.

*Wont bother going up to 25 swords as i find that 20 is enough in a 1000pt.

*Is there any alternative to pistoliers as fast cav?

Mephistofeles
08-11-2006, 10:07
You want your precious knights to stay strong so as to give your opponent as few points as possible. If the run away, you want them to stop, quick. If they are killed in action, you don't want your opponent to get those pesky 100 points. To easy VP:s in such a small unit.

I respect you not taking any handgunners, allthough I don't see what you mean with "Clean Shaven" ?

Why not take a cannon? I don't think the big bad beasties challenge will be much of a challenge, rather a BIG problem.

Going up to 25 swords was to make sure you get +3 rank, even if your opponent shoots a couple of 'em. And taking the Free Company up to 10 would help a lot in combat res. too.

You can take DoW as fast cav, since you have a rare slot open. You can take "Light Cavalry" from the DoW list, or you can take Hobgobla-Khans from the RoR-list, but they might interfer with your theme, don't know...

showmydog
08-11-2006, 23:14
DoW fast cav. excellent i shall try them

Yeh Standards are pretty risky, I took it for a war banner.

Well the overall theme was meant to be an Arby force, hence not much black powder, but i guess the presence of knights ruins that really.

I'll redo the list....

Mephistofeles
09-11-2006, 15:56
That depends on what models you use. There are some excellent Arabian (K)nights models done by both Perry and Foundry, you should check 'em out.

www.perry-miniatures.com
www.foundryminiatures.com

Artemis
10-11-2006, 13:46
Try upping the wizard to lvl 2. Then he can use 4 dice to cast one of two spells. And you can draw out more dispel dice, letting you use the ring more often.

And you can build and paint the knights as Panther, they're araby-themed.

showmydog
11-11-2006, 11:14
Try upping the wizard to lvl 2. Then he can use 4 dice to cast one of two spells. And you can draw out more dispel dice, letting you use the ring more often.

I suppose an extra spell, and up to 4 dice, but then i wouldn't really bother with the staff.
I much prefer saving the points and casting my one spell (usually a base 5+ magic missile) everytime.
I am not a gambling man at all and hate to rely on the dice.