PDA

View Full Version : Night goblin shaman: as strong as a 2nd gen. Slann

Zonq
07-11-2006, 02:46
Hi everyone,

By reading the O&G book, I found out a great idea for a night goblin great shaman. I make him level 4, give him the Staff of Baduum (+1 to casting rolls for 40 pts) and 6 Magic Mushrooms (+1D6 to cast, on a roll of a 1 the spell is miscast for 10 pts each).
So, for 285 pts, I get a Lv 4 caster who can cast 6 spells with a casting bonus of (1+1D6)...that's as effective as a 2nd gen. Slann! :D
Of course my shaman will miscast a lot and I'm at risk of losing my expansive Lord choice, but hey I'm playing Orcs and Goblins! Also, with the new O&G miscast table, the results for miscasts are less dangerous than in 6th ed, so this can be an interesting choice.

What do you think?

Zonq

Sotec
07-11-2006, 06:16
Your gobbo can only cast each spell once per phase. And each magic mushroom is a one use item only.

The slann is far more powerful since it can have better access to magic items, cannot miscast, and is more resiliant to ranged damage.

No contest.
Cheers!
Sotec

Wargamejunkie
07-11-2006, 06:27
But you then have to consider the point cost of the two choices. Sure the slann is better but you have to pay for it, also the 285 is the total for the goblin shaman where for that much you get the the skink that spounge baths the Slaan.

Dtrik
07-11-2006, 14:17
No way as effective as a slann. Can he cast on multiple lores? Immune to miscasts? Extra power and dispel dice? Still a great caster for orcs but no where near as effective as a slann (who is over two times the price of your shaman:p )

zak
07-11-2006, 14:30
This is a clear no contest. Take 3 reasonably equipped Shamans so that all the eggs are not in one basket, unlike the 2nd gen Slaan.

Akah Dofleini
08-11-2006, 02:19
I'm partial to goblins so I'd agree that having 3 shamans for the price of one slann is a bit more versatile

Nkari
08-11-2006, 07:43
2nd gen slann, or no slann at all imho in 7th ed, =)

DirtJumper
08-11-2006, 19:53
Although you do have the 6 mushrooms, it still does not measure up to the Slaan's extra dice each time he casts. He can easily roll the 6 extra dice in a turn or two, wheras the Gobbo can only do it 6 times in the whole game, and increases his chances of miscasting by 16.5% each time he casts.

thrandywill
10-11-2006, 16:33
the point is mpre than just the fact it can cast as wel as a slann it dosent have all the other goodies such as 6 wounds toughness 5 and and the option of temple guard and that awsum 4+ automatic ward save!! boo-ye

10th clancannach rangers
10-11-2006, 17:50
And he'll run away, blow up or be in a unit that squabbles