PDA

View Full Version : Ulthwe and the eye of terror

Gimp
07-11-2006, 11:38
If the eldar from the craftworld ulthwe are so scared of chaos incursions from the eye of terror cant they just drive the Craftword away from the eye of terror to a safer and happyer part to the galaxy?

Slaaneshi Slave
07-11-2006, 11:45
Craft Worlds only have sublight engines, so no, they can't just drive it away.

Gen.Steiner
07-11-2006, 11:48
Craft Worlds only have sublight engines, so no, they can't just drive it away.

Well, they could, after all, under acceleration for long enough they'd reach about .9C (90% of the speed of light).

It'd take them quite a long time to get anywhere, but they could indeed drive it away. :)

Curufew
07-11-2006, 11:54
Then why didn't the Lyanden craftword try to escape from the hivefleet that assaulted them?

Latro_
07-11-2006, 11:56
plus ulthwe as i understand it acts like a bastion against chaos.

Slaaneshi Slave
07-11-2006, 12:02
Then why didn't the Lyanden craftword try to escape from the hivefleet that assaulted them?

The Hive Fleet uses warp travel to get about (correct me if I'm wrong) and so they are many times faster than a Craft World. Whats the point in running if all it does is drain energy from the weapons you could be firing at the 'Nids?

AventineCrusader
07-11-2006, 12:05

The Iyanden Craftworld did try to get away. The point is, the Craftworld was not fast enough to get away from the Hive Fleet.

Crusader

Gen.Steiner
07-11-2006, 12:18
...the Craftworld was not fast enough to get away from the Hive Fleet.

But it is fast enough to flee from an immobile warpspace anomaly. :p Even at the relatively sluggish speed of .9C

Kriegsherr
07-11-2006, 12:34
Maybe they need good enemies, and good enemies ar hard to find, as an old ork saying goes. :p

Seriously... the eldar seem to be quite in the know about the beginning of the galaxy, the old ones and their creations, and about how the future of the galaxy might look.

Why run away when you know you will have to fight against chaos anyway someday somewhere. Why wait for a distant day for the final attack when you could attack the chaotic followers while they are still weak and in the eye? As far as I know, the eldar from ulthwe featurea quite fatalistic, fanatical and devoted character and have accepted their fate of fighting the great enemy long ago.
So where should they be, if not in the first lines of this "war"?

Slaaneshi Slave
07-11-2006, 12:39
Other Eldar distrust them, consorting with Daemons and the Warp. They have even come to blows on occasion.

Barbarossa
07-11-2006, 13:05
I thought it was circling the EoT because it was caught in its gravitational pull in a slowly but steadily decreasing arc.

Slaaneshi Slave
07-11-2006, 13:17
The Eye isn't an object, it shouldn't have a gravitational pull, how would ships leave it if it were an object that large?

Gen.Steiner
07-11-2006, 13:20
The Eye isn't an object, it shouldn't have a gravitational pull, how would ships leave it if it were an object that large?

Warp jumps. It's almost certain that the Ocularis Terribilis rewrites the laws of space-time in its immediate local area on an hourly basis.

Slaaneshi Slave
07-11-2006, 13:23
Except assassins enter the Eye in small single man crafts, and then leave again. A small single man craft is too small to have a warp jump generator.

Infiltraitor
07-11-2006, 13:28
They might need to be there, being so close increases the number of powerful psykers born there. They've also taken a direct hand in foiling the plans of the various Chaos attempts to lay siege to the galaxy at large.

Gen.Steiner
07-11-2006, 13:30
Except assassins enter the Eye in small single man crafts, and then leave again. A small single man craft is too small to have a warp jump generator.

And you know this for sure how?

Remember, the Assassinorium has access to a lot of gucci tech (e.g. C'tan phase swords) that no-one else has. It's not too far-fetched to argue that they have single-crewed ships with Geller Fields and warp drives.

jansuza
07-11-2006, 13:32
I've always imagined the eye as a black hole filled with spiky people. Once you go in you can't get out very easily. Kind of the reason that the 13th company are still in there.

Maybe the 13th company just don't feel like stopping and asking for directions...

oh, and hi Gimp!

Scythe
07-11-2006, 13:35

They need a faster than light propulsion method. The eye is thousands of lightyears large. You won't ever reach your destination on sublight engines.

Slaaneshi Slave
07-11-2006, 13:36
And you know this for sure how?

Remember, the Assassinorium has access to a lot of gucci tech (e.g. C'tan phase swords) that no-one else has. It's not too far-fetched to argue that they have single-crewed ships with Geller Fields and warp drives.

Either the original Codex: Assassins, or some piece of fluff or other written around then. Knowing GW it could have changed since then though.

They need a faster than light propulsion method. The eye is thousands of lightyears large. You won't ever reach your destination on sublight engines.

Its quite possible the Assassinorium uses reverse engineered Necron drives, or some other form of travel, which is simply too power hungry to use on larger ships.

Icarus
07-11-2006, 13:40
I thought it was circling the EoT because it was caught in its gravitational pull in a slowly but steadily decreasing arc.

Thats it in a nutshell. Altansar and Ulthwe were both caught in the pull of the Eye of Terror after the Fall. Altansar effectively took the bullet for Ulthwe by allowing their Craftworld to be gripped by the full effect of the Eye's pull, allowing Ulthwe to escape, but only just. It made it far enough away not to be pulled in, but it also can't escape, so its stuck in an orbit.

Interesting point, there is some question as to whether it is actually gravity or another force, such as the warp/matterium overlap pulling more realspace into itself.

Scythe
07-11-2006, 13:49
Sure it can have a gravitational pull. It is what keeps the milkey way and star clusters together. A dense cluster of stars or other extreme heavy objects still have a large gravitational pull on objects outside it. Something doesn't have to be a single object to have a strong gravitational pull to objects outside it.

Slaaneshi Slave
07-11-2006, 13:56
But the Eye doesn't have enough mass inside it to have a noticable gravitational pull. It is simply an area of warp overlap, the only planets in there are the ones which were in that area of space (such as the Eldar homeworld) before the Fall.

Scythe
07-11-2006, 14:15
Who knows? The breaking of the border between warp and realspace did have some effect I guess, affecting mass and the glow of gravity perhaps?

It is also not impossible that the eye was a very dense cluster of stars before the fall to begin with.

Gen.Steiner
07-11-2006, 14:18
But the Eye doesn't have enough mass inside it to have a noticable gravitational pull. It is simply an area of warp overlap, the only planets in there are the ones which were in that area of space (such as the Eldar homeworld) before the Fall.

This is the warp where the laws of physics etc are meaningless, right?

What's there to stop the warp having a gravitiational pull where it shouldn't - it is, after all, insane.

Slaaneshi Slave
07-11-2006, 14:25
But its warp overlap, meaning its only the very edge of the warp, were the Laws of Physics are still mostly the ruling factors. It is only as you go deeper (for want of a better word) the laws break down.

Tastyfish
07-11-2006, 14:46
Alternatively, because of the wierdness that happens to time and space when the warp gets involved, the space is a lot denser than would be expected. Sort of like a Tardis Nebula, 2000 light years overlayed and cramped together in a space of 100 light years or so.

Rockerfella
07-11-2006, 14:47
Either way, arent craftworlds able to enter some vast areas of the webway? Even if this isn't the case, i think that with the psychic shielding, most of the Eldar technology is geared towards misdirection and stealth/subterfuge. Craftworlds may be massive, but i'm guessing if you happen to come across one, they are likely to have known you were coming long before you detected them.

I thought Ulthwe was SLOWLY drifting from the Eye.. away from it. Ah shucks, what do i know. :P

Slaaneshi Slave
07-11-2006, 15:12
My 2 Ed codex (lost my 3 Ed one :( ) says that a Craftworld may NOT enter any part of the Webway. It makes sence really, since the webway openings are built inside craftworlds and on planets. It would be turning the warp inside out.

Gimp
07-11-2006, 15:44
And remember the Ulthwe strike force list in the Eye of Terror codex it said that large equipment like Falcon grav tanks and wraith lords are to big to travel in the webway so in the webway I think size does matter ;) .

Farseer
07-11-2006, 15:49
First of all, Craftworlds can travel by webway portals. Second, Iyanden got hit by surprise, and third Ulthwé are the Damned, because Eldrad forsaw the death of the craftworld, so they stay and fight.

But haha!! I imagened a big black eldar with big gold chains "driving off" in the lowrider Craftworld.:)

Farseer
07-11-2006, 15:55
I pretty sure I read that the Imperial or other armies cant find the craftworlds, because the move arond in special webway portals for the craftworlds, not the same size as normal webway gates.

Slaaneshi Slave
07-11-2006, 15:57
Are you sure you aren't confusing that with PEOPLE and SHIPS from the craftworld travelling via webway, because all the official fluff I have read says otherwise. Can you give a reference? Not that I disbelieve you, I just really like the Eldar fluff, and would like to read it myself.

Slaaneshi Slave
07-11-2006, 15:57
I pretty sure I read that the Imperial or other armies cant find the craftworlds, because the move arond in special webway portals for the craftworlds, not the same size as normal webway gates.

The Imperials cannot find them because they are floating in deep space and give off no light or signals. But they obviously HAVE been found, since you can use them in BFG.

Gimp
07-11-2006, 16:07
Wanna the dark eldar city/planet Commo-whatever does it not stay in the warp. and how do you guys get the cool quote at the bottom of each reply I amjust so confued

Slaaneshi Slave
07-11-2006, 16:09
Its in the webway, so its technically inside the warp, but doesn't get the nasty side effects. Sort of a tunnel of real space inside the warp.

Click on User CP at the top of the page to edit your signature ("cool quote at the bottom of each reply").

Gimp
07-11-2006, 16:19
Thanks man. still what about the dark eldar and there pimping city/planet

t-tauri
09-11-2006, 11:04
The Eldar/Khaine discussion from here has gone to it's own thread here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55798).

elvinltl
09-11-2006, 12:51
Hey people, though i am a huge fan of Eldar, Craftworlds does not exist. :/

Tastyfish
09-11-2006, 13:07
Hey people, though i am a huge fan of Eldar, Craftworlds does not exist. :/

Not sure what you're getting at here, can you explain it a bit more?

Bregalad
09-11-2006, 15:47
There are huge doubts whether Eldar exist in real life ;)
But according to official background, Eldar craftworlds certainly exist

Rockerfella
09-11-2006, 20:29
There are huge doubts whether Eldar exist in real life ;)
But according to official background, Eldar craftworlds certainly exist

No.. that can't be true. The Eldar must exist, they must be real.. I mean, if they arent real, then who made the Tau? :confused: ;)

Scythe
10-11-2006, 06:28
It is all a conspiracy of the C'tan of course! The deceiver is the Eldar, and the Tau at the same time!:eek:

Chaos is just imperial propaganda made by the dragon, who is the real one bound to the emperors throne.

It all makes sense now. :D