PDA

View Full Version : New Gaunt and Warrior boxes.

de Selby
02-04-2005, 15:08
My local indy store is now selling Gaunt and Warrior boxes with the new paint-scheme. I assume the boxes won't change again, and that they reflect the contents of the new boxes, in which case: no change.

I bought some gaunts (8 of each plus some rippers; same old contents as before) and I've scanned the box for those who are interested since I haven't seen it anywhere else. Albino gaunts; they look ok.

I also looked at the warrior box. Oddly, the box shows warriors in the BfM red/black scheme, with albino warriors on the back. Judging by the pictures (I looked carefully at the weapons) the contents are completely unchanged. I didn't buy any 'cos I have enough already.

Of course, GW could always change the packaging now and the contents later (images are for illustrative purposes only, dontyaknow). But the continuing presence of gaunts and warriors on the online store seems to be the final confirmation that only the packaging will be changing. Let me know if the box pic has been seen before and if so I'll take it down.

Alternatively, I do have bigger pics too. But Portent has a very low file-size restriction, it seems.

zealousheretic
02-04-2005, 15:31
Photoshop and Tyranids really don't mix. Ugh.

Brimstone
02-04-2005, 15:37
I guess that disproves the rumour about the warriors being revamped with enough rending claws etc to outfit all of them. :(

de Selby
02-04-2005, 15:43
Yeah. Based on what I saw of it, there is no new sprue in the new box. I suppose GW could put 3 old monstrous arm sprues into the new box instead of the current one sprue, but I don't believe it.

Akuma
02-04-2005, 16:43
Ironicly only thing that is left from my old nid army ( I've sold it due to financial problems - and it was 6000 points one :( ) Are 3 warriors and 1 gounts box - maybe it's time to devour something agin ...
Besides I'm realy anxious how the dex looks like - I've read the rumor round up but could someone who has it and bulided an army post it here - just for compering purposes of what you can fit in 1000 and 1500 army ;)

plasmadaemon
02-04-2005, 19:33
expect the new codex to be with the black-prints like in the space marine one.

Wolflord Bloodangel
04-04-2005, 01:52
Those monstrous creature-sized Rending Claws are too large anyway. Judging by the new Stealers though there should be enough spare claws to fit out a swathe of warriors...

Delicious Soy
04-04-2005, 08:01
Photoshop and Tyranids really don't mix. Ugh.
Seconded. Though as far as I'm concerned it can be applied to the entire range. I guess its cheaper to have a 5 minute Photoshop Job on the fron than having an artist draw something. Of course its even cheaper to simply photograph the damn thing and put it on the box, but that would be just crazy.

Wez
04-04-2005, 11:14
I can confirm that the warriors are unchanged. My local GW hs a box. Oddly enough, the one I saw had the albino warriros on the front...

-Wez

Wraith
04-04-2005, 11:22
Those monstrous creature-sized Rending Claws are too large anyway.

They are to be honest I agree.

Judging by the new Stealers though there should be enough spare claws to fit out a swathe of warriors...

Well... depends how you choose to equip the 'Stealers.

Marty D
04-04-2005, 13:00
didnt they do this with the marines though? bring out boxes of the old minis with new photoshop covers, but waiting a while to include the new sprues?

they may be doing the same here, bring out the new box cobers but wait until all the backstock is out before giving us new bits and bobs

Tyra_Nid
04-04-2005, 13:11
Gah, I hope my eyes are deceiving me and that the fleshborers ARENT shooting out light/laserbeams/lots of little borers... :s

Eversor
04-04-2005, 13:32
Gah, I hope my eyes are deceiving me and that the fleshborers ARENT shooting out light/laserbeams/lots of little borers... :s

All the photoshopped covers look like that ;) I guess it's more appealing to the special-effects-addicted ADD kids of today. They can't be bothered to read background text on how weapons work, so you'll have to show them pictures instead. Which all turn out wrong...

(sarcasm mode off ;))

my_name_is_tudor
04-04-2005, 17:47
Eversor, ADD references are uncalled for mate, you could easily offend people - namely me.

I agree about the covers though, but I supoose they want to more accurately represent the contents without losing the atmosphere.

I wouldn't rule out the possibilities of new bits just yet, I can quite easily see GW repackaging the old sprues in new boxes, and then eventually including new sprues, to make the transition more seamless, but to be honest I doubt they will - the 'nids were already in the regiment-style boxed sets, so they dont really have a need to make new sprues, beyond including the bits that everyone wants - but never gets. And surely we'd have seen pics of them by now.

Eversor
04-04-2005, 18:10
Eversor, ADD references are uncalled for mate, you could easily offend people - namely me.
Sorry about that... We Swedes aren't much for PC:ness. But at least it made you post! Welcome (back?) to Portent ;)

zealousheretic
04-04-2005, 18:28
The photoshopping looks okay on the marine boxes, but on the Tyranid boxes it looks unspeakably hideous.

The Ape
04-04-2005, 19:50
With the new boxes showing the models "shooting", im just waiting for the day a mother comes up to me and complains that they dont actually "shoot" and demands a refund.

Iv already had one woman complaining her son had been hallucinating from using GW super glue... (I was far too polite to suggest it may be something else her son was using)

Inflammable
04-04-2005, 20:08
With the new boxes showing the models "shooting", im just waiting for the day a mother comes up to me and complains that they dont actually "shoot" and demands a refund.

Iv already had one woman complaining her son had been hallucinating from using GW super glue... (I was far too polite to suggest it may be something else her son was using)

haha. She probably meant "sniffed" by "used" :p

de Selby
05-04-2005, 17:01
didnt they do this with the marines though? bring out boxes of the old minis with new photoshop covers, but waiting a while to include the new sprues?

they may be doing the same here, bring out the new box cobers but wait until all the backstock is out before giving us new bits and bobs

Maybe so. I'm only going by the new box picture, which shows nothing new. To me, it would be odd if they introduced new contents at odds with the box. I don't think there are enough changes to the marines for this to be a concern with them. Anyway I think the marine release schedule didn't go as it was planned in the first place (didn't they have problems with the new moulds?).

Another possibility is that they could release a second box of 'assault warriors' later on, to complement the 'shooty warriors' we have now. Second box; new art and sprue. As with terminators/assault terminators coming out of different boxes.

^above is rampant speculation.

Edit: since everyone hates the photoshopping so much, here's a little pic of the gaunts on the back of the box.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89/deSelby/boxbacksmall.jpg

New Cult King
06-04-2005, 01:21
I'm disappointed that they don't look like separating the Hormagaunts and Termagants... I don't want to use any Termas in my army, but I would love a swarm of Horms...

The Inedible
06-04-2005, 05:00
Wow that's the first time I seen the new scheme on hormies, they look ridiculous with those pink humps, like brains are coming out of their backs.

Brimstone
06-04-2005, 06:28
they look ridiculous with those pink humps, like brains are coming out of their backs.

They are biomorph upgrades, you can paint them whatever colour you like of course but it's always a good idea to make them stand out.

poopoodindin
06-04-2005, 20:56
I hope that's not real. It looks like crap.

The Ape
06-04-2005, 22:57

What? You think he made it up? :confused:

Boduddley
06-04-2005, 23:56
You are right. Boy they are scary. Here comes the pink powder puffs!
:p

Wow that's the first time I seen the new scheme on hormies, they look ridiculous with those pink humps, like brains are coming out of their backs.

You would think that they would get painters that new what the army is all about! FEAR!!!!!

The Tyranids should make opponents shudder with HORROR and FEAR! Not laughter!!!

:rolleyes:

charlie_c67
07-04-2005, 10:56

Are you talking bout the mini or the paint job here?

de Selby
07-04-2005, 14:05
:D

OK, I admit it. I studied the available rumour images very carefully, then painted 8 hormagaunts and 8 termagants in the new scheme, photographed them, scanned them, added some little information boxes about the colours I'd used, some photoshopping and voila!! Pointless little fake rumour images were mine to command!

No. They're as real as anything GW sell.