PDA

View Full Version : Theming My Bretonnians

Steel_Legion
07-11-2006, 23:09
Well having got around to finally painting them, i think a theme would be nice too... An idea i have was to theme it around an army of Henry V, just because i liked the armys then, and they seem to fit bretonnians very well, and of course i can add a few Perry Miniatures to teh collection as he does some excelent Agincourt Era miniatures, my only problem is including knights and such like, how to do it, as at that point Chivilry was loosing it touch, basically, can someone help me finish up my fluff ideas or theme, not going for historically acurate, just a good theme and reasons for having such units
cheers

Voltaire
07-11-2006, 23:34
If you go away from Henry V, I recommend approaching the area of the latter crusades. Chivalry was falling to greed and people were going to war for profit, something very un-Bretonnian, but still quite possible.

Move Fast Hit Low
08-11-2006, 00:46
i would definitely theme the bretonnians around the crusades, because i think thats what GW had in mind when they made the models, i think either of these color schemes would work

http://www.hennessy.id.au/quentingeorge/archives/crusaders.jpg

rivers3162
08-11-2006, 02:09
I'd tend to move towards more of a crusade theme rather than a Henry V theme, if only because the type of armour at the time of Henry V was moving more towards an Empire knight look (just a suit of armour, no cloth barding for horses) so wouldn't translate all that accurately into the Bretonnians.

There was a really nice Bretonnian army in WD around 290ish (Bret Vs. Tomb Kings Bat. Rep.) themed around the St. Georges Cross Crusaders/ Knights Templar. Although the Knights Hospitallier colour scheme from the last post would look very interesting on Brets!

Steel_Legion
08-11-2006, 08:02
very tempting to do them hospitaler or templar, but i was thinking use a colour scheme relating to the fluff (like for my army, it would be lord theodoric, so black and white, king louer in time, red and blue) and they all bring separate men wuth them, much like the crusades, i will think about all this today and try and come to a conclusion

Mephistofeles
08-11-2006, 10:55
So you want two different counts/lords/generals of sorts, with half of the army in the heraldry of one of them and the other half in the heraldry of the other?

Steel_Legion
08-11-2006, 15:58
pretty much, as thats what i have started (so far, each lord brings a host of men, like units of knights and men at arms, archers all band together from different places and make there own units, but everyone else will belong to a lord, was the idea, i just want to "Henry V" up this idea somehow

Rathgar
08-11-2006, 17:28
Been thinking about this one form a background perspective; why don’t you have your army involved in a camping in the Border Princes? They could even be from a satellite Bretonnian kingdom invading it’s neighbour, and through that you could parallel Henry’s campaigns in France.

Move Fast Hit Low
09-11-2006, 02:02
Steel Legions idea sounds extra fluffy, none of the crusades were made up of one faction so i would think that you could have different schemes for your men

10-11-2006, 07:25
I just about did a hospitaler, templar, santiago bret crusaiding force.

but I changed my mind and went with the charging rainbow of death look...and Im not satisfied...so Im starting to redue my army with my first idea

although Im keeping my grail knights lich purple and chaos black with gold trim...they look cool

Hobgoblyn
11-11-2006, 00:07
You could turn them from British to Iris and get some Wood Elf accessories to put wreaths and stuff on them and paint all their clothing green and brown with shamrocks, banshee and other irish symbols on their shields and tabards...

Well... its just a thought.

Meraklis
11-11-2006, 00:22
Why don't you try to paint each unit with the colours and heraldry of its champion. This way you can represent various knights that fight with their respective retinues.