PDA

View Full Version : Direct Sales only

taedore
08-11-2006, 00:32
Hey, hate to sound stupid but what is "Direct Sales Only"? Does that mean I have 2 go to the GW store 2 buy it? And why do the minis cost so much, I want that ranger and the bone singer, but I see no point at the price listed, I can buy 5 rangers for the price of 3 and a bit of those direct only ones.:mad:

rivers3162
08-11-2006, 00:41
Direct sales only means that you can only order it through mail order. As for the price...there are a lot of various arguments to why prices are what they are but they could have something to do with them being kinda like special editions so you only need one or 2 per army etc

Mikari
08-11-2006, 00:58
Prices are so high as they are limited edition and won't make more in a couple of months time.

They cost more because they are limited runs, theey arn't designed to be used ingame on any sort of scale (commander figures are the exceptions).

Direct is online dtore or mail order only.

taedore
08-11-2006, 03:12
Thanks for the info. I didn't know what the deal was. Might buy one of those box set deals but really I am just going to wait until they are available on ebay or something.

TheWarSmith
08-11-2006, 03:42
Prices are so high as they are limited edition and won't make more in a couple of months time.

They cost more because they are limited runs, theey arn't designed to be used ingame on any sort of scale (commander figures are the exceptions).

Direct is online dtore or mail order only.

Uh, that's pretty much not true at all. The 2 mail order maneater ogres, techmarine, and others are in plenty of supply and they're nowhere close to limited.

Vesica
08-11-2006, 14:20
I think the price difference would be worth it to have models on youre army that arnt like other peoples.

Death Before Dishonour
08-11-2006, 16:42
Hey, hate to sound stupid but what is "Direct Sales Only"? Does that mean I have 2 go to the GW store 2 buy it? And why do the minis cost so much, I want that ranger and the bone singer, but I see no point at the price listed, I can buy 5 rangers for the price of 3 and a bit of those direct only ones.:mad:

When I was in my local store the other day they said in the case of the bonesinger that you had to order it online rather than use the direct sales, seems an odd distinction but thats what i was told

The Orange
08-11-2006, 16:43
I think the price difference would be worth it to have models on youre army that arnt like other peoples.

Yea, but it's the shipping costs that kills it for me :( , I'd actually pick up a few if they could at least let me get around the shipping cost by sending it to my local GW store, or something like that, but the fact that shipping prices are based on the order total makes any online purchase useless (IMO) unelss it's something big.

t-tauri
08-11-2006, 16:50
Yea, but it's the shipping costs that kills it for me :( , I'd actually pick up a few if they could at least let me get around the shipping cost by sending it to my local GW store, or something like that, but the fact that shipping prices are based on the order total makes any online purchase useless (IMO) unelss it's something big.
And there lies the point of the direct sales models. We all want them but to get one you have to make a GW mail order. The postage nearly doubles the cost so to make it worthwhile you order more stuff-a prerelease model or a load of bits. GW makes a bigger profit on mail order and makes another bigger sale.

Given they've done direct sales models with every release since Ogres then it's clearly working for them.

TheWarSmith
08-11-2006, 17:33
shipping costs as a function of product cost is absolutely rediculous. It's basically their way of saying "we're not going to bother knowing how much our product weighs".

Some items have disproportionately high shipping costs due to their weight being proportionally lower to cost

rushputin
08-11-2006, 18:28

I'm pretty sure you can. I've ordered some direct sales minis (the two Skaven warlords) from the GW store, and am pretty sure I didn't have to pay shipping. You might want to ask.

Gray_Wolf
08-11-2006, 19:55
had to direct order Shadow at my local game store, they just charge me the cost of the fig...