PDA

View Full Version : what army to start?

Move Fast Hit Low
08-11-2006, 01:45
with my first real army for warhammer ( i have been just buying different units for different races) i want to start either Tomb Kings or High Elves, which do you suggest for a first time player?

i love archers and good heros, i like the way the HE have a uniform disciplined look and i like how the TK have the creepy unstoppable dead army look i am torn between the two, any suggestions are welcome

EDIT: I also want to add Wood Elves to my list, i over looked them when i was comparing all the races to each other, thanks Inkosi

Inkosi
08-11-2006, 01:49
hmmm good archers?

wood elves have better archers.

Good heros?

i dont know how you define good but ifs its powerful then chaos and vampire counts have some of the most powerful heros.

Ohh you say you are interested in HE and TK ?? =X

Mazian
08-11-2006, 18:33
interestingly enough in my opinion TK have better archers than HE. always hits on a 5+. in many situations that is arguably better than WE. let me say again ALWAYS hit on a 5+, dosnt matter wether they are behind walls or skaven censor bearers skirmishing at long range. this is why so many TK players have been turtleing lately. 2 catapults firong multiple times a turn and archers from hell raining down hits higher than thier ballistic skill should allow, guard them with a couple of nasties and you have the classic castle strategy.

Bloodknight
08-11-2006, 19:31
TK have actually the best archers in the game pointswise and skillwise (try shooting at skirmishers in long range in cover with other archers ;)). TK heroes are resilient and strong in combat. Some people say that TK are not a good beginner´s army, but I don´t agree. I started WFB with them when they came out, got beaten a few times and then got the hang of it. Since then I win with them more than I lose. Just don´t overestimate their chariot units - they look strong, but aren´t really. They´re more a tactical unit than a breaker, even with a hero.
Getting a uniform look with them isn´t really hard either. They are all bones and shields and I think no bad models ;). It´s not as if they were a chaotic rabble like Vampire counts, with mostly bad models.

javaguru
09-11-2006, 00:19
with my first real army for warhammer ( i have been just buying different units for different races) i want to start either Tomb Kings or High Elves, which do you suggest for a first time player?

i love archers and good heros, i like the way the HE have a uniform disciplined look and i like how the TK have the creepy unstoppable dead army look i am torn between the two, any suggestions are welcome

EDIT: I also want to add Wood Elves to my list, i over looked them when i was comparing all the races to each other, thanks Inkosi

The old standby answer is to start the army which you like the background and models the most. In my experience, if you like the hobby and are torn between armies you'll end up playing them all. Try and find the one you like the most, no army is truly "easy" to play. The keys to being a good player are, 1. Know the basic rules inside and out. 2. Know your army inside and out. 3. Know your opponent's armies inside and out. All tactical ability flows from knowing thoset hree things. What army you play is irrelevant because there are a lot of subtleties you'll need to understand which come through knowledge and experience. That's my two cents based on playing WHFB for ten years and WH40k for almost sixteen years.

Gimp
10-11-2006, 16:25
Take High Elves they also have some good magic too.

Bortus
10-11-2006, 16:55
You want good archers and heros and a diciplined uniform look? Well, I don't know about thier army having the best archers but what would meet the above criteria would be The Empire. I love my 3000 pt. Empire army, maybe you might like one to?

Move Fast Hit Low
10-11-2006, 20:45
You want good archers and heros and a diciplined uniform look? Well, I don't know about thier army having the best archers but what would meet the above criteria would be The Empire. I love my 3000 pt. Empire army, maybe you might like one to?

with the rumors that the boxs will only contain 10 soldiers, i think i will wait out empire, i dont wanna get stuck in an army that will cost too much to build

GreatRedGobbo
10-11-2006, 22:17
that is why God gifted us with Ebay :)

aforce808
11-11-2006, 15:01
TK is a fun army to play with and they have great archers as noted above. They can also have some very nasty heroes and their magic is very tricky.

Holy Crap! Manticores!
11-11-2006, 17:26
I started with Dark Elves and have recently started Tomb Kings.

Aside from my natural prejudice against High Elves, I've been able to play a few games with TK against DE and have noticed a few things.

1. The basic skellie warrior-types aren't very good at HTH combat, but being Unbreakable allows them to stay put. Even when Witches beat them by 8. (That was ugly!)

2. Skellie archers aren't half-bad. I like being able to shoot Skirmishers in cover at long range and needing a 5+ to hit. Shadow Warriors would truly have been my first choice here, but Shades proved the point quite well.

3. The Incantations are effective. The Magic phase is solid, although predictable, as dictated by the army rules. The movement cant is very sweet, especially as the army has some fast heavy hitters... Ushabti and Tomb Scorps. Both are excellent as flankers.

If nothing else, I'd suggest doing TK just for the models... the Ushabti are particularly cool.

vinush
13-11-2006, 08:24
As things stand at the minute, I'd go TK as the HE have some seriously bad rules in the list, and army composition tends to be very samey.

If you were to wait til the new HE book comes out, then I'd ask again.

Vince.

zak
13-11-2006, 08:35
Another vote for TK. I think they are a heavily under rated army and a 2000 pts are a match for any army. It's only in smaller battles that they suffer from the lack of magical backup.

Move Fast Hit Low
14-11-2006, 03:58
ok im more of a defensive tactician, how are TK for defensive tactics?

vinush
14-11-2006, 07:35
Quite good actually. Their shooting abilities make them one of the best in the game.

Vince

Chiron
14-11-2006, 08:18
ok im more of a defensive tactician, how are TK for defensive tactics?

TK magic can make screaming skull catapults (cause panic with 1 wound) and skeleton archers shoot again every magic phase, should give you plenty of firepower

if the catapults get damaged you can heal them easily

get your army led by Queen Khalidra and your archers are poisoned and hit everything on a 5+

bob monkey
14-11-2006, 10:12
holy crap! thats pretty awesome makes me wish i colledcted TK but i cant be bothered to paint them...

Gimp
14-11-2006, 10:54
HE have some rel good cavalry but TK have some hard hitting bone giants and ubshuti

Fhoen
14-11-2006, 11:02
i prefer high elves before tomb kings tho , if u go full out on magic u're like omg wtf is this dude doing??? 3 fury's of khaine in 1 magic phase i got pwnd...:wtf:
but don't screw it up afterwards by getting ur mages in combat for example :p
(like i did) u'll die a horrible death :D
but that's just my style :evilgrin:

Gimp
14-11-2006, 11:22
TK magic can also be deadly having screaming skull catipults shooting twice onto you infantry blocks in one turn is not cool. And after finally shooting the crews dead they are just brought back to life/dead

Chiron
14-11-2006, 11:26
TK magic can also be deadly having screaming skull catipults shooting twice onto you infantry blocks in one turn is not cool. And after finally shooting the crews dead they are just brought back to life/dead

you can bring the catapults back as well if you still have crew, now thats a surprise an Empire/Dwarf player doesnt like...

Curufew
14-11-2006, 11:55
*Borrows topic*

Are the Empire a fun race to play? I'm also thinking about HE and Brets

bob monkey
15-11-2006, 06:12
go lizardmen the slann mage have a freaken good offensive magic power...they pwn man and if u have a skink u can just fly aounrd(cloak of feathers of course) then just blast ppl with missile spells or spells that need LOS

vinush
15-11-2006, 08:12
Curufew, out of your options I'd go Empire.

A lot of people think they're a simple army to play, and in some respects that's true, but they are difficult to master.

The new army book comes out soon, which means that it's going to be more up to date than HE or Brets, and you don't need to worry about getting a shed load of models and then to find you have too few/many of specific units/models.

Vince.

Gimp
15-11-2006, 10:44
Tk can also make there sreaming skull catipults shoot twice with the help of there magic. so if you have 2 of the thingd that gives you 4 shots in one turn, and if the crew dies dont worry just bring them back to life.

Taldaan
15-11-2006, 18:50
Not to mention that, with Skulls of the Foe, if you cause wounds on a unit with LD 7 (a lot of Empire troops, for example) they have a better than even chance of fleeing. Combine that with a potential two shots per turn each, and you can do severe damage not just to their units but also to their battle plan.

Thargrund
15-11-2006, 19:35
hi,

HE are better imo both in game terms and fluff wise : ). Its always a pleasure to read HE fluff. ANyway their archers are pretty damn good with bs4 and there bolt throwers are very reliable. HE heroes are also very nice, they look slick and perform very well on the field, especially in a big unit of swordmasters : ).

bob monkey
17-11-2006, 12:09
hey if u liek HE u should also look a bit into wood elves...imo they look muchg much cooler and their units are jsut as maneouravable as high elves if not more...horsies charging through a forest...NO WAY!

Reckoning06
20-11-2006, 20:37
Ok...so you like strong heros, you want to play more of a defensive style, and you want some good range.

Pick up dwarves. They have a lot of choices as far as artillery goes and their ranged units, thunderers and quarallers, arent bad at all.

Their heros are amazing. Dwarves may not be the strongest heros in the game but when they are geared out properly i have seen dwarven heros do amazing things.

Last but not least, defensive style game play. .....they move a max of 6 inches.....need i say more?
(of course...this is assuming you do not take the anvil of doom. :wtf: :cries: )