PDA

View Full Version : Goblin Cavalry Army. Thoughts.

Akah Dofleini
08-11-2006, 02:43
Well I'm a bit new to these boards, but thought I'd post a version of the fantasy army I play regularly. It's an all cavalry goblin list that I just recently modified for the new orc & goblin army book. I'm still tweaking it, but will be playing in a 2250 point tourney a couple weeks from now. Advice is very welcome.

Heroes:

Goblin Warboss (Wolf, Light Armor, 'ead kickin' boots, Gnasha's{killing blow}, porko's pigstikka, shield) - 156pts

Goblin Big Boss (Chariot, Shagga's Screamin Sword, shield, light armor) - 139pts

Goblin Big Boss (wolf, Battle standard bearer, Big reg raggedy Banner, light armor) - 125pts

Goblin Shaman (wolf, lvl2, 2x dispel scrolls) - 152pts

Core:

15x Goblin Wolf Riders (Spear, musician, Standard, shields) - 228pts

15x Goblin Wolf Riders (Spear, Musician, Standard, Shield) - 228pts

6x Goblin Wolf Riders (Spear, Musician) - 84pts

6x Goblin Wolf Riders (Spear, Musician) - 84pts

6x Goblin Wolf Riders (Spear) - 78pts

10x Spider Riders (Musician, Standard) - 148pts

10x Spider Riders (Musician, Standard) - 148pts

5x Goblin Wolf Riders (bows) - 65pts

Special:

Goblin Wolf Chariot - 60

Goblin Wolf Chariot - 60

2x Spear Chukka's - 70

2x Spear Chukka's - 70

Rare:

2x Snotling Pump Wagons - 80pts

Doom Diver - 80pts

Total: 2250

This is the most recent version of this list. I've played with a shaman rather than the chariot boss mostly but want to try him out. I've gone 7/10 wins so far with the new book, and usually have the most trouble with fear causing armies. Whatcha think?

althathir
08-11-2006, 02:59
I like it, it looks well executed, it seems like if it ran into something huge like a dragon, giant, demon, etc. that it might run into problems, but other than that it seems good.

Akah Dofleini
08-11-2006, 03:02
The spear chukka's work well in dealing with large targets, and with the army's speed I can usually avoid them. But Fear + terror definately seems to be the heaviest weakpoint I've experienced playing this army.

Zonq
08-11-2006, 03:29
Could you please explain why you use spider riders in units of 10? IMO it seems a little too much for fast cavalry.
For example, you could drop 4 spider riders in each unit and add 4 wolf riders in your units of 15, gaining a 3rd rank bonus in each of your big units.

Except for that, everything looks pretty good.

Zonq

Akah Dofleini
08-11-2006, 03:38
The problem I have with the size 20 units is that they become a bit unwieldly. Although... I may try it during my next game. Would need to modify my movement trays if it works well =O

Dranthar
08-11-2006, 05:02
As useful as they probably are, I think the Spear Chukkas and doom diver ruin the theme of the army. I'd much rather see them replaced with either more chariots or more spider/wolf riders.

Level 2 on your shaman also seems like a waste. With just him and no other shamans and bound items, I can't see him getting off any spells against any army.

Akah Dofleini
08-11-2006, 05:06
Ironically the doom diver and bolt throwers are actually mounted on wheels with wolves pulling them. Though I agree they kinda impact the theme. If I was to lower the mage's level, what would you suggest I place that 35 points into? maybe champions for the large units?

Omegakai
08-11-2006, 06:56
1 remove the warmachines... your lines will be starged enough as it is possible mount all your toons in chariots or at least make a suicide wolf big boss to hunt down expensive or solo mounted heros/giants/costly and soft.
i my self have giants in my list. not very themed i know but mines a raiders theme

Yaffar
08-11-2006, 06:58
Goblin Warboss (Wolf, Light Armor, 'ead kickin' boots, Gnasha's{killing blow}, porko's pigstikka, shield) - 156pts

that does not work ... you can not give the Waaghboss the "KickingBoots" and the "Gnashas" ! both are enchantet itmens... one charakter may only have one of them.

Akah Dofleini
08-11-2006, 07:03
Oops >< meant for the amulet of protectyness, instead of the boots.

Mephistofeles
08-11-2006, 10:03
If the doomdiver and the spear chukkas are mounted on wheels with wolves pulling 'em, they don't inpact the theme, I think they further it!
I would love to see those spear chukkas, do you have a picture of 'em? Maybe one of the whole army?

Other then that, I think the army looks good, but I agree that the spider riders should be a bit fewer, maybe use the points for even more wolf riders. If I were you I would take the unit of 6 with just spears and put 3 from each into the other 6-strong groups, making them 9, and then use the 35 points to take them up to 10 each.

popisdead
14-11-2006, 20:11
See you really wanted to play the all mtd goblin army in the last edition so you can get 8 chariots and 6 wolf mounted heroes.

I've played the list (VERY last day possible) w/ my Woodies and did ok. It is still fairly powerful.

Take 3 goblin chariots and mount all your heroes in chariots.

Then take two units of 10 fast cav

two units of 5 fast cav

then two units of goblin 'heavy' cav at about 20 man strong.

I mean you can make it worse but at least in this edition it's fun to play against ;)

pcgamer72
14-11-2006, 22:30
I really like the theme your army takes on. I'm sure it would be a blast to play against. Have you ever played against VC with it?

The one real standout thing in the list that could be changed is that lvl 2 on the shaman, as somebody else has already mentioned.

Cpt. Drill
14-11-2006, 22:41
I think you should try ranked up blocks of 20+ wolf riders with a boss in the front... they hit quite hard and have the three ranks standard and out number bonus! They arnt bad units and it would look cool as a center piece of your army!

Also you probobly want to have two wizards and hope they get the movement spells! The horn of urgoth (cant remeber exact name!) Would give your whole army +1 leadership if you can get it off aswell!

eldrak
15-11-2006, 00:10
Doesn't the wolf riders need light armor to get rid of their fast cavalry status so they can get a rankbonus?

Can't see any reason to have a unit of 15 if they don't get rankbonus.