PDA

View Full Version : Iron Warriors 9th Grand Company: The Dire Legion

Acolyte
08-11-2006, 03:54
Ok, since my next army is going to be extensively converted, and looks to be a lot of fun to make, I've decided to create a project log for it. No pictures, not even any models yet, but they're coming. For this, I'm starting the planning stages.
First, the mandatory army list:

HQ: Chaos Lord-165
-Mark of Nurgle
-Manreaper
-Daemonic Aura
-Daemonic Armour
-Daemonic Flight
-Infiltrate

Elite: Obliterator Cult-70
1 Obliterator

Troop: Chaos Space Marine Squad-130
5 Marines
-2x Plasma Rifle
-Mark of Nurgle
-Infiltrate

5 Marines
-2x Plasma Rifle
-Mark of Nurgle
-Infiltrate

5 Marines
-2x Meltagun
-Mark of Nurgle
-Infiltrate

5 Marines
-2x Meltagun
-Mark of Nurgle
-Infiltrate

Heavy Support: Chaos Predator-183 Points
-Lascannon Turret
-Lascannon Sponsons
-Mutated Hull
-Smoke Launchers
-Extra Armour

Heavy Suppory: Chaos Havoc Squad-280
10 Havocs
-4 Plasma Rifles
-Mark of Nurgle
-Infiltrate

Heavy Suppory: Chaos Havoc Squad-280
10 Havocs
-4 Meltaguns
-Mark of Nurgle
-Infiltrate

Obviously, this looks more like a Death Guard army then an Iron Warriors army. This is because the 9th is a Grand Company that specializes in smashing through fortifications, the first ones into the breach and, as such, the ones who get shot to hell the most. I want each Marine to look like he's charged into an withering barrage of firepower, either barely made it through or went down, then, after the battle, got picked up, patched up, got new limbs where needed, then did it all again...for 10,000 years.

I want every Marine to be unique. Therefore, I'm looking for some suggestions on converting individual soldiers. All will have multiple bionic limbs-generally a replaced arm and/or legs, and some other bitz. Higher-ranking ones will be more damaged (Although this list has no Aspiring Champions in it, I'm still making models that could work as some, and they've being converted out of Iron Fathers). Most of the replaced arms will be weapon-type arms-drills, saws, and the like from Necromunda, for starters.
Some ideas I have so far for conversions:
-Marine wielding his shot-off bionic arm as a club
-Marine with a piece of junk hastily attached to knee to replace a recently-shot-off shin (Thinking an Ultramarine shin)
-Marine with a Guardsman (Or an Ultramarine) impaled on his weapon

In addition, the Obliterator is going to be custom-made. I'm thinking of using Abbadon's body, making one hand a gigantic claw with an inset Flamer, the other hand as a combination plasma/meltagun, then attaching a servo-harness, with each arm holding a heavy weapon. And a Cyclone on his back for the missile laucher.

I'm still undecided on how to build the Lord. I want him to basically look like a sentient, vaguely Marine-ish machine (Basically, they stuck his brain in a machine), but I'm unsure where to start.

The Predator will be a project I've long-wanted to build-a Marauder-Pattern Predator, more-often seen as a Knight Titan.

Scorpio
08-11-2006, 03:59
I love a good Iron Warriors army. I hope you can come through. A good start and i hope to see good things to come!

-Scorpio

doghouse
11-02-2007, 12:05
Hmmm, sounds interesting to me. Have you thought about using the arms from the techmarine servo harness? Look forward to seeing more. :)

Yog_Sothoth
11-02-2007, 12:22
How bout adding a Chirumek working on a fallen/injured comrade?
I got something similar (no pics, sorry) by adding Fabius Bile bits (the hand with the pistol/styringe and the servoarm with another injector thingy) to a regular CSM.
In addition to that, you can use the other of Bile's servoarms as a bionic arm. I tried it on one of my CSM; the drill and the chainsaw-like thing look kinda intimidating imho.

Also: How bout bionic legs cut off from Necron Warriors? Add some green stuff as armor and it might look pretty cool.