PDA

View Full Version : UK GT Heat 2 Review

ewar
08-11-2006, 12:56
Hi all,
I thought I'd let you know how my first ever tournament went (heat 2 of the UKGT). I've been playing warhammer longer than I care to remember now, but haven't been bothered to get out and find any new opponents in at least 6 years, so myself and my 3 regular opponents went up to Nottingham to see how we'd cope with a bunch of new enemies! I was fielding my brand new Bretonnian force of 3 lances of realm and errant, men at arms, bowmen, trebuchets and a small unit of pegasus knights. I'll just recap each game briefly, as I'm sure no one has the time to read 6 full battle reports! Actually, I don't have the time to write it either...

Game 1 vs Wood Elves
He had a highborn on dragon, 2 alter nobles, lots of dryads, some treekin, a big unit of wild riders, 2 units of wardancers (8 each I think) and a small unit of way watchers. Game went fairly well, my knights errant got the charge on the dragon, but found out to their horror the sod had a 3+ ward save. On the other flank my archers and trebs shot his wild riders to death and got a few dryads before the forest spirits massacred them. Peg knights and mounted yeomen managed to miraculously beat 8 wardancers and run them off the table. Dragon was routed but not caught after my general managed to get the highborn down to 1 wound. The errants were all killed along with BSB after being flanked by the second unit of wardancers. All the peasants were killed. End result was a draw, but my inexperience of actually counting up vp's (we always just concede and leave it at that) meant that I forgot to reclaim all my lost banners, including the BSB, and gave away 100 for the men at arms standard - how stupid! So despite destroying his entire army bar the dragon and 6 dryads it was a draw, with me giving away 500 vp's by accident.

Game 2 vs Tomb Kings
I had only played tomb kings once before, and that was years ago and against a much less skilled player. I saw his army (all horse archers, screaming skull, bone giant, 3 scorpions, unit of 15 (spear armed?) cavalry, hierophant, 2 lesser characters and a tomb king) and thought that it would be a walk over... how wrong was I. While my plucky knights were on their knees praying, his shooting (in two phases I quickly discovered!) caused nearly all of my peasants to run directly off the board. I lost 1/4 of my army without twitching a muscle. I only had 3 dispel dice and 2 scrolls which essentially left him to waltz his army round the board at will, so all my knights were charged and crush by a variety of giants, scorpions and cavalry. I lost every model by the end of turn 4, and he then healed everything I'd hurt to deny me those precious few vps. Result: total massacre against me... I think I need more practise against these sods.

Game 3 vs Skaven
Again, a complete first for me and due to their reputation, one of my most feared opponents. He had a huge army of clarn rats, some slaves, lots of skirmishers, 3 warlock engineers, giant rats, warp lightning cannon, 4 ratling guns, big unit of plague monks plus a bunch of skirmishers such as plague censors, tunnelers and more that I can't remember. Essentially his army stretched from one side of the board to the other, so I focused on one side. All my shooting killed the plague monks in one turn (2 deadly treb shots did the trick), 2 lances charged a rat swarm that was in the center of the table, and used the skirmishers to line up the over run into his larger units. This paid off nicely and they rolled along his line killing pretty much everything. My peasants were all killed (again) by a tunnelling team. They were starting to be a real liability. His shooting didn't manage to do much as I avoided the ratling guns, charged the cannon and got most of the engineers in combat after scrolling all their lightning attacks. Result: solid victory and a happy end to the first day.

*I was pleased with the results so far, which for my first tourney weren't too bad. Bit annoyed about getting a draw when I really won the game, won't make that mistake again.

Day 2

Game 4 vs Ogre Kingdoms
Never fought against these guys either, but at least I've got their army book! The poor guy had put them together at the last minute and had designed a list perfect for Brets: no butchers or gnoblars, just lots of 3 strong iron guts, a man eater, some bulls, 2 bruisers and a tooled up tyrant. My peasants had their best ever game and managed (very flukily) shoot their way through 3 bulls, 3 iron guts and a man eater in 2 of his turns and one of mine - their stand and shoot was exceptional! Other than that, the lances broke the other units that had the big characters in and the game was won. He was a really nice guy, and I feel bad that his army only killed a single knight errant. He did score 700 vps though, because my treb blew itself up and my high dice counted against me when I opted to flee a charge with my generals lance... they managed a cheeky 17" which took them just off the board. The cowardly swine. Result: massacre for me.

Game 5 vs Dark Elves
Another great opponent with a nice balanced list: big unit of cold ones, 2 RBTs, 2 RXBs of 10 each, big unit of spearelves, 2 lvl 2s, 2 chariots, some dark riders. I've fought dark elves as a regular opponent for the last ten years and knew pretty much what to expect. In the first two turns my knights withstood a withering hail of fire, losing nearly half of the knights of the realm. In return my bowfire and trebs took out a chariot and reduced the other to 2 wounds. Luckily his knights and dark riders had been set up as far away from my missile fire as possible on one flank, which meant that they had a lot of marching to do before getting into combat. Two of my lances broke and ran down the big block of spears, the duke and his remaining 2 knights killed the last chariot, the peg knights killed the bolt thrower crews. After that, it was a relatively simple job to swing around and face his knights, who couldn't withstand the combined charges of the knights. A fun game, which looked like it may have swung his way if he'd had one more turn of shooting! Result: massacre for me.

Game 6 vs Dwarfs
Having moved up to table 12 now, I was getting a bit smug with the days results so far. The Dwarfs has brough along 3 blocks of warriors, long beards and hammerers. The hammerers were led by a lord with bearers and BSB. He also had 20 hand gunners, bolt thrower, grudge thrower and organ gun. I was a complete plank in this game as he set up his entire army in a classic castling formation on the corner hill he had. Realising that with getting the flank charges in there was no way I would be able to break those infantry I sat back and used my bowmen (out of his range) and trebs to try and shell him out of position. Had I been thinking straight I would have just hidden the rest of my army in the other 3 quarters of the board and waited him out. Instead I was stupid and crept forward waiting for the perfect treb hit to all a decent chance of breaking the sods. As it was I got rune of challenged into charging his hammerers with my dukes unit (doh), was compelled to challenge because of the virtue of confidence and his lord was immune to my killing blow... very annoying. Of course my duke couldn't stand up to the dwarf with a great weapon and re rollable 1+ save, so the knights fled were run down after the dwarfs got a double 6. They pursued into another unit of knights of the realm, broke them and guess what? Another double 6. The hammerers had moved about 30" across the board in two turns! Result: solid loss.

Overall:
I had a great weekend, my friend didn't fare so well with their results though so they seemed a little less impressed. This was mostly because we've been playing in a closed group for so long that we;ve all just got used to out particular style of play i.e. we never take monsters, special chaacters etc. We also normally play much less competitive lists, as the aim isn't just to spank your opponent as badly as possible - we normally play for an entertaining game! Having said that, all of my games were good fun and I think I learnt more in that weekend than in the last 6 years of playing. I was surprised by how overtly powergaming some of the armies were - one was an all chariot (19!) beastman army with 2 giants. Another was a chaos tzeentch army with only 17 models. Maybe because we're not used to them that it seemed worse than it is, but I think we've all made some serious changes to our lists, eg I'm dropping absolutely all of the peasantry, except for the trebuchets, as they are lovely models and great fun, but a complete liability in a tournament like that! For anyone who's not been I'd really recommend it, there are a lot of great players and the whole thing is very well organised. Just make sure that your hangover doesn't affect you too badly on day two!

Finn Sourscowl
08-11-2006, 13:38
Thanks for posting that entertaing summary, Ewar! Your experiance at the GT heat mirrors my first tournie experiance a few weeks ago at a local fanatic here in the north of Sweden (so not quite as prestigious as the GT!). I had spent years playing warhammer against a select group of friends and very rarely played anyone else. So the games were very eye opening! It was also very well organised and I had a very good time and would thoroughly recommend giving tournaments a go, if only for the experiance!

I guess if you came up against some of the really powergaming armies, it might not be as fun, but if the guy (or gal!) playing it was a good fun, I suspect it would still be entertaining!

Were did you finish in the end, by the way?

ewar
08-11-2006, 15:13
He he, forgot to include that bit. I came 45th of 142, so now I'm busy preparing for the grand final (in early february). Only bugger is that I'll be going alone as none of my mates qualified!

Is there anyone else headed into the grand final from warseer?

Theres got to be a few. I'm so sick of warhammer, it's all I've thought about for the past month, and now I can't stop thinking of ways to tune my army for the next one! doh.

Archaon
08-11-2006, 15:41
Hi all,

Overall:
I had a great weekend, my friend didn't fare so well with their results though so they seemed a little less impressed. This was mostly because we've been playing in a closed group for so long that we;ve all just got used to out particular style of play i.e. we never take monsters, special chaacters etc. We also normally play much less competitive lists, as the aim isn't just to spank your opponent as badly as possible - we normally play for an entertaining game! Having said that, all of my games were good fun and I think I learnt more in that weekend than in the last 6 years of playing. I was surprised by how overtly powergaming some of the armies were - one was an all chariot (19!) beastman army with 2 giants. Another was a chaos tzeentch army with only 17 models. Maybe because we're not used to them that it seemed worse than it is, but I think we've all made some serious changes to our lists, eg I'm dropping absolutely all of the peasantry, except for the trebuchets, as they are lovely models and great fun, but a complete liability in a tournament like that! For anyone who's not been I'd really recommend it, there are a lot of great players and the whole thing is very well organised. Just make sure that your hangover doesn't affect you too badly on day two!

Sounds nice.. i went to a geran GT this year and it was a mixed experience for me.

The german HQ where the tournament was held is very nice and their gaming tables (complete with a side pen for lost miniatures, books and everything else is a very nice idea so the table doesn't get cluttered) were good to.

Day 1 was very fine.. i had the fortune to avoid powergaming armies so the day was nice and i did reasonably well and had much fun.

Day 2 saw me fighting two extreme powergaming armies.. the typical Blood Dragon vampire army (2 big blocks of knights with Vampire, Vampire Lord on flying monster, some ghosts and ghouls and lots of Wolves.. you know this type) and i did ok until i got too greedy at the end and needlessly risked my Lord.. lost him and the game.

The second game was against a goblin wizard horde.. 2 large blocks of Night goblins, 5-6 chariots, 2 giants, 4 or 5 Boltthrowers and 4 or 5 wizards totalling 16 powerdice per turn.
Got massacred pretty good.

All considered it was way too expensive and way too competitive for me (no army restrictions since it was an official GW tournament and their armybooks are perfectly balanced :rolleyes: ) but the venue was very nice and we were invited to an evening dinner on Saturday evening at a nearby mexican restaurant.. all you can eat baby! :D

It was an experience but i doubt i'll be going a second time.. i prefer privately organized tournaments where the people know the imbalances and implement measures to curtail the worst. They are usually much cheaper and you can use non-GW models (i have a beautiful non-GW Hydra for my Dark Elves).

Last note.. your Bretonnian force:

A friend of mine plays Brettonians too with at least two men-at-arms regiments, bowmen and a few mounted squires.. no trebuchet or Pegasus Knights too.

He placed amongst the top in the GT and could have gone to the finals but didn't because he didn't have the time.

One of his tricks are his immune to psychology and well protected heroes which he likes to charge out of the regiment to hold up an opponent regiment which is threatening his lines.. he has rerollable armor saves and sometimes the characters are stubborn. They only need to hold them one or two turns by which point he has brought up reinforcements which usually crush the regiment.

He's a very good player and knows his armies inside out which is why he's one of our best players around and it is a high point for us "middle class" gamers to beat him :p

ewar
09-11-2006, 08:00
Cheers for the comments,including the 6 games at the GT my Bret army has only played 10 games now - so I'm still learning their ins and outs. Believe me, I'm going to put in some more playtesting before the finals!

Danger Rat
09-11-2006, 08:19
Glad to hear you really enjoyed your first GT I finished 99th (too many draws that and having to face wood elves 4 times with combat dwarfs) so no final for me this time.

Toddums
09-11-2006, 08:39
Thanks for the report, sounds like you had fun!

Count Zero
09-11-2006, 10:41
are you sure that the army you took was legal?

ewar
09-11-2006, 15:26
Yeah, its legal. What do you think isn't legal about it?
1 duke
1 BSB
1 damsel
1 paladin on foot
2 units of Realm (core)
1 unit errant (core)
1 unit men at arms (core)
2 units of bowmen (core, one skirmishing)
1 unit peg knights (special)
2 trebs (rare)

If I've made a glaring mistake then let me know!

Baindread
09-11-2006, 16:06
and gave away 100 for the men at arms standard - how stupid!

M@A standard isn't worth any victory points last time I checked.

NakedFisherman
09-11-2006, 16:11
If I remember correctly, that 3+ ward save for the Wood Elves goes away after it's failed once.

truthsayer
09-11-2006, 16:14
If I remember correctly, that 3+ ward save for the Wood Elves goes away after it's failed once.

you do indeed remember correctly ;)

Nice report Archaon, Ive PM'd ya a question

ewar
10-11-2006, 09:16
Yeah I know about the men at arms standard, that was my point - for some reason I had a mental blank and gave away the vp's. Won't make that mistake again though!

As for the woodies, the guy did remove the ward when he failed it, but it was a bit too late for me as he'd passed all of his dragons saves.