PDA

View Full Version : O&G vs Dwarves battle report

Bloodthirster90
08-11-2006, 20:12
We were playing a 500pt game with unlimited turns. The winner would be decided on VP or on who annihilated the enemy first.

Orks & Goblins
Goblin shaman (skull pass)
Giant
20 Ork Boyz

Dwarves
Thane (hand weapon, shield)
10 Thunderers
12 dwarf warriors
8 miners
Cannon

Turn 1
The dwarves got first turn with a 4 against the enemy players roll of 1. The miners and warriors both marched forwards, the warriors pulling up behind a wall. The thane followed just to their left, ready to support the warriors if need be. The Thunderers and cannon stayed in place. No firing occurred and it was the O&G’s turn
He marched his Boyz 8 inches and the same with his giant up to 24 inches. He then managed to cast the ‘Foot of Mork’ which achieved the feat (no pun intended) of killing three Thunderers.

Turn 2
The miners again advanced towards the giant, around the wall. The giant was still some way off from the wall, but the miners would need something to fall back to if they were to fail. The thane moved forwards more, planning to assault the Ork Boyz. The Cannon fired this turn, landing just short of the Ork Boyz. Thankfully, the ball bounced and smashed three Orks from their feet. They didn’t get up.
The Ork Boyz marched another 8 inches and the giant also moved forward again. He was now in close combat with the miners. He let out an almighty roar, but the stout dwarves stood their ground and were unaffected. He swung his massive club at the miners and, though they were tough, four fell. They passed a panic test, proving their bravery and courage. This fact was reinforced when the four remaining dwarves struck back and inflicted a wound on this massive opponent. The shaman again was able to cast the Foot of Mork and took out two members of the cannon crew.

Turn 3
Things weren’t looking good for the bold dwarves. They had lost the cannon for a few turns and half their miners. The thane, noticing the miners’ plight, rushed towards the giant to lend a hand. The miners themselves, still showing their bravery, attacked the hulking giant and were able to inflict another three wounds. The giant struck out again, but missed. The miners breathed a sigh of relief. They were safe for now.
On the O&G’s next turn, the giant struck yet again and killed another of the miners. The shaman didn’t cast anything this turn, and the Ork Boyz had remained as statues.

Turn 4
The thane finished his charge at the giant, while the warriors jumped over the wall as fast as their legs would carry them. The thane attacked and took the final two wounds out of the giant and it fell to the ground with an almighty crash. The Thunderers were still lying in wait for the Ork Boyz to come to them, while the warriors waited for their chance to attack the flank of the Boyz.
The Boyz, furious at the loss of their giant charged forwards, towards the Thunderers, but fell just short, much like dwarves themselves. The shaman manages yet again to cast the foot of Mork, killing the last of the miners.

Turn 5
The Thunderers start a strategic retreat to get behind the wall. The thane turns to face the Ork Boyz squad and the warriors remain still.
The Ork Boyz and the shaman move forwards, with the Boyz getting into combat with the Warriors. They strike and take out a whole rank of dwarves.

Turn 6
The Thunderers move into position, ready to shoot the shaman next turn around while the thane charged the flank of the Ork Boyz. He attacked and took out three Orks then the Warriors struck and killed another four. This brought the squad to half strength and a panic test was taken and passed. The Orks struck back, but killed nothing.
When the Orks turn to fight came, they missed every single attack. Typical of an Ork. The shaman was able to cast the hand of Mork, but it wouldn’t help his Boyz and decided not to use the spell.

Turn 7
The warriors and thane attacked again, all attacks but one, finding their mark. The front rank of warriors, having moved into 5 abreast, felled 5 green skins as the thane took down another two. The Orks took another panic test and again passed it, much to the displeasure of my opponent. His three remaining Orks attacked the thane, inflicting only one wound. The Thunderers, now in range of the shaman, opened fire and filled him with lead.
The three remaining Boyz struck back in their next turn, and killed another warrior. They passed their panic test and attacked back, killing the last of the Orks.

It was a great victory for Hyrule’s Finest dwarves.

Arnizipal
08-11-2006, 20:43
Nice battle rep. :)

Some oddities though. I'm surprised the shaman got so many spells off. he could only use three dice as a max, and Dwarfs get 4 dispell dice as standard.
Must have been some unluck dipell rolls.

Also, the Giant should have autobroken the miners as soon as he killed three. The Unit Strength of a giant is 6, and since he causes Fear he would have autobroken the Miners in the first round of combat (as he killed four out of eight). Unless the Dwarf player rolled snake eyes for the break test of course. :p

Tutore
09-11-2006, 06:10
I find always interesting to read battle reports. There are some oddities...for example the infinite round rule: I don´t like it. Shouldn´t there be 2 core units in every army? Whatever!

zak
09-11-2006, 10:47
That's only if you use the border patrol rules printed by GW. It appears as if they were using house rules as I don't think you can have a giant in the border patrol rules either.

Tutore
09-11-2006, 13:13
That's only if you use the border patrol rules printed by GW. It appears as if they were using house rules as I don't think you can have a giant in the border patrol rules either.

Exactly. You cannot, even in the warbands rules on the GW website, nor in the normal rules which state ´under 2000 points, 2 core, 0-3 special, 0-1 rare, 3 heroes´. Those are all house rules, but a good battle is still a fun battle.

Bloodthirster90
09-11-2006, 16:04
it was a good battle. The fact that I won made it better too. Neither I nor the opponent had a rule book to hand and all he had was his army book. It was more of a blunder on my part that this was the case. The few oddities you saw were there only because of the absense or real GW rules. I was just lucky that neither of us knew the rules too well. My thunderers got a 12" range and I'm sure it's supposed to be more. We didn't use dispel rolls, mainly because neither of us knew they existed.
anyway, I hope you enjoyed reading it, even with the few oddities

Madgit
10-11-2006, 01:36
He marched his Boyz 8 inches and the same with his giant up to 24 inches. He then managed to cast the ‘Foot of Mark’ which achieved the feat (no pun intended) of killing three Thunderers.

Damn you Mark! Daaaaaamn yooooooou!

It was a fun batrep to read though. Playing fuled by excitement rather than rules mongering is a beautiful thing. I remember those days fondly.