PDA

View Full Version : The time of Macharius

2_heads_talking
08-11-2006, 21:34
I noticed this when reading over the established fluff for Macharius:

After millenia of disorder the Imperium was finally united in mr thn name. At the Conclave of Gathalamor held in the shadow of Mount Amalath at ther tomb of the Great Confessor, over eight hundred Masters of the Space Marine chapters gathered together to reswear their oaths of loyalty.

The old power of the Ecclesiarchy was waning... the hard-core of Bucharan dissenters had fled far and wide into the Eastern Fringe away from the Imperium...

Okay, I have never heard of this before. Has there been any other established background concerning the Conclave of Gathalamor? Did the Space Marines, fo a while, simply look after their sections of space as they saw fit, effectively splitting from the Imperium?

Was this durin the time of Sebastian Thor?

Can anone help?

Inquisitor S.
08-11-2006, 22:33
It's (at least) in Codex Imperial Guard (2nd and 3rd edition) and in the Inquisitor rulebook.
It was after the Reign of Blood during which the AdMech and the Adeptus Astartes had retreated to their own dominions and so there were oaths to be renewed. Similar to the Treaty of Ceres, where the AdMech renewed their allegaiance after the Age of Apostasy.

By the way this is also the beginning of the Amalathian faction in the ][nquisition.

Commander Ozae
09-11-2006, 00:12
Basically, it was after a really bad time in Imperial politics and everything could more or less get back to normal.

Nazguire
09-11-2006, 07:49
Basically, everyone kissed and made up. The Astartes stopped just acting on their own because they had forsaken the infighting the Imperium (they still fought for Mankind, just were much less likely to listen to the Administratum, even less than normal) and renew their oaths.
The Adeptus Mechanicus renewed their oaths to serve alongside the Imperium as its closest ally (which the Administratum seems to take for granted that the Imperium doesn't own the Mechanicus, rather, they are the same entity which can't survive without the other).

deversnik
09-11-2006, 10:38
the amalathian faction or inquistors is named after this conclave which set Macharius off on his conquests, the greatest expansion of the Imperium since the Great Crusade still unmatched. its based on Alexanders adventure through Asia, until his generals would go no further. basically the Imperium got back to kicked alien ass, bringing light to the galaxy reabsorbing lost humankind into the Imperium and annilated those who resist or who are too horribly mutated

CELS
09-11-2006, 10:55
To answer the original question; yes, the Adeptus Astartes were split from the Adeptus Terra for a period during the Age of Apostasy, due to the tyranny of Lord Vandire, the Administratum and the Ecclessiarchy. They declared war against Lord Vandire, along with the Adeptus Mechanicus, the Adeptus Custodes and the Adeptas Sororitas, if I'm not mistaken, untill Lord Vandire was finally slain by a member of the Adeptas Sororitas.

malika
09-11-2006, 11:51
The Adeptus Sororitas were formed later as the official military arm of the Ecclessiarchy, first they were this group of female bodyguards of vandire. They turned against him in the end

Inquisitor S.
09-11-2006, 11:52
No, the Adeptus Sororitas wasn't in existence, its predecessor was something like Brides o the Emperor (renamed from Daughters of the Emperor) that fought against the Space Marines and Admech. The Adeptus Custodes did not actually fight much, but they brought the leader of the Brides of the Emperor to the Golden Throne and after that Vandire was executed by this leader.

CELS
09-11-2006, 13:43
Ah yes, right you are. Who is the Great Confessor though?

Commander Ozae
09-11-2006, 13:51
He's probably some really famous priest who worked with the Ecclesiarchy or an important Inquisitor who interrogated a lot of people.

Voronwe[MQ]
09-11-2006, 14:12
The Great Confessor? Perhaps you mean Sebastian Thor?

deversnik
09-11-2006, 15:14
The Adeptus Sororitas were formed later as the official military arm of the Ecclessiarchy, first they were this group of female bodyguards of vandire. They turned against him in the end

ah yes the Brides of the Emperor! they were more like Death Cultists then. Vandire turned them into his own bodyguard, they were persauded to turn against him by the Captain of the Adeptus Custodes

2_heads_talking
09-11-2006, 18:15
Mind if I ask another question; what happened to Mr Thor after Valdire's reign ended?

I knew about the demise of Valdire, an his famous "I don't have time to die, I'm too busy!" before he lost his head; I also know about the devastation his armies caused to Fenris. However, of Mr Thor I've heard comparatively little.

Can anyone indulge me?

Inquisitor S.
09-11-2006, 18:56
He was made (or better forced under threat of death) to become the new ecclesiarch by the Senatorum Imperialis and then he reformed the Adeptus Ministratum. Thor I became the 292nd Ecclesiarch and died of natural course on Terra at the Age of 112. It's all in Codex Adeptus Sororitas and quite a long story.

Terminatorphoenix
09-11-2006, 19:28
and they say theres no happy endings in 40k...

CELS
09-11-2006, 20:46
Indeed. "And so he was forced under threat of death to live happily ever after." :)

Pilgrim
11-11-2006, 16:08
;1062935']The Great Confessor? Perhaps you mean Sebastian Thor?

The Great Confessor was Dolan of Chirosius. The background is in the 2nd edition Codex: Sisters of Battle. The events took place during the Age of Apostasy.

Basically he was a priest on the planet Chirosius, who rejected Cardinal Bucharis' authority. Bucharis claimed that the Imperium, and Ecclesiarchy, were corrupt, and that he alone represented the Emperor's will. He used these claims to try and build an empire in his area of space, and conquered a large number of systems by force, with the help of renegade members of the Imperial armed forces. Dolan was one of those who spoke out against Bucharis, maintaining that he was a traitor, rebel and apostate.

For this stance, he was tried (in a show trial), imprisoned, and tortured to death by Cardinal Bucharis and his followers. This ultimately backfired, since, by his piety, dignity and beliefs, he then became a figurehead and symbol for the resistances against Bucharis, which culminated in the death of the Apostate Cardinal, and the re-establishment of Imperial rule (which had already begun to act against him, with uprisings and counter-invasions in many of his conquered systems).

Adrian

Minister
11-11-2006, 16:14
Mind if I ask another question; what happened to Mr Thor after Valdire's reign ended?

I knew about the demise of Valdire, an his famous "I don't have time to die, I'm too busy!" before he lost his head; I also know about the devastation his armies caused to Fenris. However, of Mr Thor I've heard comparatively little.

Can anyone indulge me?
Vandire was actually chopped in a more vertical manner, but yes.

The invasion of Fenris was Bucharius, and was one of his more spectacularly stupid moves.

Nazguire
13-11-2006, 04:32
Vandire was actually chopped in a more vertical manner, but yes.

The invasion of Fenris was Bucharius, and was one of his more spectacularly stupid moves.

Resulting in a thorough whooping by the defence servitors and the Great Company stationed there. :D

deversnik
13-11-2006, 14:37
it almost suceeded though, it was only the revival of the Dreadnought Bjorn the Fell Handed and the heroics of the Space Wolfs and thralls in the Fang at the time that held it long enough for the other Space Wolfs to get back from the shops

Nazguire
14-11-2006, 03:52
it almost suceeded though, it was only the revival of the Dreadnought Bjorn the Fell Handed and the heroics of the Space Wolfs and thralls in the Fang at the time that held it long enough for the other Space Wolfs to get back from the shops

What's cool is that a bunch of zombified cyborgs and a single Great Compnay can hold off an entire Eccleisarchy Crusade for however long it was ( I heard somewhere 3 years). The Fang is the most impregnable fortress outside Terra, Mars and Cadia.

2_heads_talking
14-11-2006, 11:21
They also enlisted the help of the local Fenrisian population as well (at least, the ones who weren't enslaved), from what I can remember.

So what was the difference between Bucharis and Valdire? How much of a timescale, and was Bucharis alone in his plans or did he have the kind of support Valdire did?

deversnik
14-11-2006, 14:10
Valdire was originally head of the Adminstratium and seized control of the Eccessiarchy, he controlled the entire Imperium bar Adeptus Mechanicus and Adeptus Astartes realms, Bucharis was more of a localised short lived heretical insurrection.