PDA

View Full Version : Custom Grey Knights - Winter War IV

Badgobbla
09-11-2006, 08:08
Hi there,

So the Dark and Stormy Knights I tournament (Bergen - Norway) has come and gone. It was a total blast and as I ended up third in the category Best Painted Army I feel I want more next time.

So, the next tournament in Bergen will be Winter War IV (40 K) and I thought I just get into it and start preparing my army. A while ago I decided on taking Grey Knights, because I've always loved the background for the Ordo Malleus and the new models look ace.

But instead of just collecting and painting them up, I want to do something different and customize each model.

To start of, this is the armylist that I want to use at the tournament:
Brother-Captain = 61pts
3 Grey Knight Terminators with Psycannon = 163pts

Inquisitor with Emperor’s Tarot and Bolt Pistol = 36pts

Callidus Assassin = 120pts

6 Inquisitorial Storm Troopers with 2 Melta Guns = 80pts
Rhino with Extra Armour And Smoke Launchers = 58pts

6 Inquisitorial Storm Troopers with 2 Melta Guns = 80pts
Rhino with Extra Armour And Smoke Launchers = 58pts

8 Grey Knights with 2 Psycannons including Justicar = 275pts

8 Grey Knights with 2 Psycannons including Justicar = 275pts

Grey Knights Dreadnought with Extra Armour, Missile Launcher and Twin-linked Lascannon = 145pts

Grey Knights Dreadnought with Extra Armour, Missile Launcher and Twin-linked Lascannon = 145pts

I've already decided that I want to 'pimp' the whole army with Forgeworld upgrades (extra armour, doors, top hatches and dreadnoughts), so I bought everything I could use from their site a few months ago.

So, first things first then and here is the first WIP shot of a Grey Knight:

As you can see I've replaced the normal backpack with a backpack of a 40k chaos sorcerer, as I feel they look really cool on these guys. I plan to give all my Grey Knights these backpacks. The next thing is that I want to give all of my normal Grey Knights swords instead of halberds and a shield on their bolterarm to fend of blows.

I'm still not sure if I should cut off the bolterfeed, because there's a big gap between the shield and the arm as it stands now. Any ideas anyone?

You'll also notice the 'crystals' on the base: these will be painted up with ice blue and the bases will be flocked with baking soda to represent snow.

Well, I guess that's enough for the first installment. C&C are welcome.

BG

Pertinax
09-11-2006, 09:17
I'd put the shield with the point down, not along his arm.

Look forward to seeing more.

Lavfluris
09-11-2006, 16:17
As you can see I've replaced the normal backpack with a backpack of a 40k chaos sorcerer, as I feel they look really cool on these guys.You may want to consider cutting off the gargoyle heads and Ďarmsí from the Chaos Sorcerer backpacks and reattaching the heads o that the backpacks look more like Space Marine backpacks. As it stands, your Grey Knights look more like those they seek to defeat. ;)

HiredSword.
09-11-2006, 21:49
cool, what kind of colour scheme will you be using? normal silver, dark silver, grey, black, red or something different? will definately be following this log.

I agree with lavfluris btw on the backpack.

Lavfluris
09-11-2006, 22:03
I agree with lavfluris btw on the backpack.Your payment is in the post. ;)

If my description was not clear, then please find attached an image that will help you out.

Pertinax
09-11-2006, 22:26
Could you just trim them off all together, and put on the muzzles from the Chaos Vehicle sprue?

If you want to do this, I've got a good bunch of them...

violenceha
09-11-2006, 23:36
How did you make the crystals?
I'll have more sensible comments to make later when this booze haze fades.

ghostmaker12
09-11-2006, 23:59
that looks pretty cool. one thing is that you should either have the shield point facing the way he is aiming or down.

Badgobbla
10-11-2006, 12:37
Colour scheme still has to be decided on, but I was thinking along the lines of dark grey for their armour with highlights up till space wolf grey. I'll try not to use any metallics on the army and do everything as much as possible in NMM.

Testmodels (Grey Knight and Stormtrooper) will be painted up during the weekend, so watch out for that.

And I'm not convinced of cutting the dragonheads, because I like the way they look as it is, very sleek and cool. Maybe I'll just try it with one and see how it turns out.

The crystals were cut out of isolation material, but I got the tip to cut them out of leftover sprues so I'm gonna try that as well.

Next up is the first Forge World Dreadnought:

The only thing I'm thinking about adding here is some plasticard to represent the extra armour, but I don't want to lose the nice Forge World details. Any ideas perhaps on this one?

Pertinax
10-11-2006, 12:50
I don't think I would add extra armour. Rather say that the writing is the extra armour (sacred rites of protection), or something like that...
If you do feel for modelling something though, I'd try to add a little re-inforcement around the corners of the arms, where there is no detailing. Just thin strips of plastic card, with rivets.

violenceha
10-11-2006, 13:16
you could always bulk out it's groin and add a little shazam in the way of armour plating over the weapon arms.

Badgobbla
10-11-2006, 13:24
BTW Pert what do you think of the list itself? Since you never came back to me on that one...

Pertinax
10-11-2006, 13:51
I'll take a look...

Muffe
10-11-2006, 14:43
List seems pretty ok, just hope your terminators stand up better against Fragmissiles then Railgunners :p but I will be looking forward to seing you back for Winterwar and with greyknights. Should be a blast..

Also like the idea with doing minimal work with metal colours.. will be nice.

Railgunner
10-11-2006, 20:12
Hold kjeft løs tøs!:p

Back on topic:
I have to say i'm not a great fan of the whole shield and backpack thing.
It will be interesting to see if you finish your army before mine:evilgrin:

Railgunner

Muffe
11-11-2006, 02:13
he probably will finnish before yours:P

Lavfluris
11-11-2006, 10:29
he probably will finnish before yours:PAnd my Thousand Sons. ;)

Lord of Skulls
11-11-2006, 11:51
I just thought I'd point out one thing about the list: A Rhino with Smoke and Extra Armour is 58 pts, not 53.

Apart from that the list looks good, if somewhat low in numbers...

Railgunner
11-11-2006, 15:49
I just thought I'd point out one thing about the list: A Rhino with Smoke and Extra Armour is 58 pts, not 53.

OMG!!! Badgobbla you fiendish powergamer!!!:p

Railgunner

Badgobbla
11-11-2006, 23:33
I copy/pasted this list from Lav, so blame him.

Lavfluris
12-11-2006, 09:48
I copy/pasted this list from Lav, so blame him.Always worth proof-reading, especially if the person who wrote the army list is foreign or cannot count. :p

Badgobbla
12-11-2006, 12:03
So I've noticed. :)

OK, little update: Here are some pics of the test GK (still WIP) I painted up during the weekend.

First try at NMM and it worked out quite OK. The only thing that I'm not convinced about (and actually not happy about) is the blade of his weapon. I wanted to create some kind of marble-effect, but failed miserably. I did this in the past and that worked out pretty good, but now I kinda screwed up. Maybe I'll stick to my original plan and do them in bone-colour.

Punk_in_Drublic
12-11-2006, 16:56
your NMM kicks ass. I like the concept of doing an entire army without using any metallics.

I'd go for bone or some powerweapon effect on the blade (I'd go for purple). I'm also tossing my salad, as well as my lot, in with the guys that have commented upon the chaos backpack. I think the straight lines of that backpack kinda crash with the curving lines of the GK sculpt. Also, I'd like to see a bit more blacklining, but as you said, it's WIP.

All in all, I think this will be a kick ass looking army. It will inspire me to do a better job on my up and coming deathguard. :cheese:

Later,

-Punk

Muffe
12-11-2006, 18:07
yup looking good, but there is something,, I kinda feel the basecolour is abit flat, maybe abit more highlighting or shading would do the trick, not sure. But as you said its WIP... Looking good so far though... and will be a condender for best painted again I believe;)

Punk_in_Drublic
12-11-2006, 19:56
Yeah, I think me and morten sees the same thing, and what the model need is more definition. And I think you can achieve that by blacklining it more, not just the big transitions, but between places like the elbow guard and the upper and lower arm, on the feet etc..

Later,

-Punk

Badgobbla
05-12-2006, 14:54
OK,

Seeing as my bitz for the conversions still haven't arrived I decided to start painting up some other models:

Pics were taken at night with flash, but it turns out my flash isn't as good as I thought it would be. In one month there's a tourney in my gamesstore, so if I find the time I'll paint up a whole army.

Badgobbla
23-01-2007, 20:42
OK, update. My bitz have finally arrived and I've started assembling my Grey Knights.

Also, I've started painting my first dreadnought. And there has also been some work on my first Kasrkin

Badgobbla
23-01-2007, 20:51
Some more pics of my dread, still WIP.

Also, some WIP shots of my first converted Grey Knights: all will have swords and the Justicar will sport the sword from the Emperor's Champion into combat.

And a very special pic of my out of print assassin

HiredSword.
23-01-2007, 21:32
expensive, but they're going to look really cool when they're finished! I'd still prefer the backpacks to be shortened so the heads are lower down though, they look unwieldly at the moment. Just a thought.

McMullet
24-01-2007, 11:23
The dreadnought is very nicely done, the paint looks very smooth and crisp (even though it's NMMy, which I'm not a fan of). The stand out super thing for which you get a gold star is the power cable on the Kasrkin's gun.

*ignores*

Still learning
24-01-2007, 11:43
i like the colour range you have choosen. They work well together.

Badgobbla
24-01-2007, 12:21

Well, I can just stop then, can't I? ;)

My granny always said:"stop while you're ahead".

Boss_Salvage
24-01-2007, 14:00
Colors look great on the dread, and the big guy is looking mighty nice in general. Good to see the project rolling again, and I look forward to seeing that ninja assassin with paint too :D

- Salvage