PDA

View Full Version : Holy Hannah- Lysander bomb + FoD!

damiengore
09-11-2006, 14:28
My friend and I are warming up for a tourney next weekend, I'm taking my screeming jets DE and he's got a Lysander bomb army. I've been trying to give him some variety of armies to play against so I tried out my tau for him.

He has 3 squads of terminators, lysander and a Librarian making up 65% of his force. The rest is made up of 2 ML scouts and 3x Teley assault oriented scouts.

I took a pretty Csuit heavy tau army. 2x Shas'el, 3xfireknife, 16 kroots, 12 FW, 2x8 FW, 8 pathfinder, 2 x Railhead and 2 BS's.

The bomb didn't go off till his turn 3 which gave me 3 turns of shooting to absolutely wreck his scouts. Despite heavy cover his scouts were 90% destroyed by turn 3 and all his teley's were smoked. I had lost 3 kroot and a HH to a lucky crack missle. I had come out of my quarter a bit to maximize my fire and claim quarters. He went for some pretty risky DS locations but it paid of in spades.

The shooting casualties were minimal from the terms but FoD practically raped a third of my army. 12 FW's broke and were driven off the board the next turn, my big fireknife squad (3 suits and 6 drones) fled an astonishing 17 inches right past the terms and off the board. My pathfinders also broke but managed to rally next turn although it meant their ML were unussable. To shooting I lost a shas'l, 6 FW's and my other HH to another glancing crack missle. Despite the horrendous losses I still managed to kill 10 of 16 terminators the following turn but it wasn't enough to recover.

All I can say is wow! Against the right opponent with a little luck FoD can win you games! I'm not saying it's cheesy, I'm actually happy to see anything that upsets a gun crazy all on the table at once player but WOW! FoD accounted for about 500+ points of direct losses, scary!

xibo
09-11-2006, 14:44
Hmmm... My thousand sons would have turned that librarian into a spawn, if he had done that to us(all our demons, damn it!).

... unusual to see FoD is that effective, but well... **** happens...

ss_cherubael
09-11-2006, 14:52
sounds like he was bloody lucky with rolling, playing tau u probably wanted to knock the scouts out before the third turn and win the game, and u should have been able to. the kroot here were a mistake, he wopuld totally out class u with combat so take more fire warriors to balance that out, and get another HH to hit those scouts with a sub shot! FOD seemed pretty damn good, so i would say that luck was on his side

Voodoo Boyz
09-11-2006, 14:58
I fell into the Librarian Hype with my Pod List and have the requisite Libby + FOTD/FOTA and Assault Cannon Command Squad in a Pod.

FOTD is so risky and so overrated. The chances of it working on a LD8 squad is a little better than 50/50, which is a bit risky to me. It really only shines when your opponent is clustered up in a big firing line and you can nail a bunch of FOTD checks, making it worthwhile. So basically guard are really scared of it.

I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather have the Libby be casting FOTA from far away while the assault cannons go abalzing and I don't have to worry about being close and being charged and having my guns silenced.

marv335
09-11-2006, 15:09
i've tried it, and yes it can work.
a deep strike librarian (with two heavy flamers)
did really bad things to a dark eldar army i was fighting last week.
i don't use it very often though.
i prefer a jump pack chaplain or a plain captain as my hq.
and i never have more that one hq in less than 2000pts.

Captain Stuart
09-11-2006, 16:45
FotD is great against Tau. Unless they upgrade, the FCW are LD7. So Kroot, Pathfinders, and FCW are relatively easy to get to rout. I find retaliating against the Librarian difficult.

damiengore
09-11-2006, 17:55
I don't know that it's overrated and it is a big risk but it can play huge dividends with some luck.

I wasn't really in a firing line, nor did I think I was particualarily clustered. He landed in the middle of about 4 units and it was a good 8+ inches to each unit. What made it really effective was the loss of my fireknifes a 300pt unit that would have made swiss cheese of the librarian if they hadn't run an astonishing 17" off the board. Out of 4 units it was only the LD 7 FW security detail that didn't bolt!

Certainly it was a bit of luck but when your willing to take a risk it can turn a game around!

I fell into the Librarian Hype with my Pod List and have the requisite Libby + FOTD/FOTA and Assault Cannon Command Squad in a Pod.

FOTD is so risky and so overrated. The chances of it working on a LD8 squad is a little better than 50/50, which is a bit risky to me. It really only shines when your opponent is clustered up in a big firing line and you can nail a bunch of FOTD checks, making it worthwhile. So basically guard are really scared of it.

I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather have the Libby be casting FOTA from far away while the assault cannons go abalzing and I don't have to worry about being close and being charged and having my guns silenced.

FearFrost
09-11-2006, 18:03
Im not super knowleadgable about the newer tau book, but isnt this why you bring an ethereal?

Pavulon
09-11-2006, 18:50
The bomb didn't go off till his turn 3

What bomb?
What is FoD?

Guess I'm retarded.

GodofWarTx
09-11-2006, 18:55
the "lysander bomb" is when every single terminator unit lead by Captain Lysander hits the table at the same time, a very scary prospect when you have teleport homers to guide them right where you want them, with no scatter.

FoD is the psykic power "fear of the darkness" which can be murder on those armies who overlook leadership .

CaptainDaris
09-11-2006, 19:34
I think the Lysander Bomb is uber-cool, I used it and decimated a TS army

Core_Commander
09-11-2006, 19:47
Im not super knowleadgable about the newer tau book, but isnt this why you bring an ethereal?

The Ethereal got messed up pretty bad in the new codex, you have to SEE the guy for rerolling your Ld. Stupid, unfluffy and very crippling if you ask me.

damiengore
09-11-2006, 19:50
I don't think I've seen a list since Empire that uses an Ethreal, he is pretty useless, fluffy but pretty useless.

The Ethereal got messed up pretty bad in the new codex, you have to SEE the guy for rerolling your Ld. Stupid, unfluffy and very crippling if you ask me.

Core_Commander
09-11-2006, 20:12
An Ethereal overseeing the battlefield is a nice, fluffy addition to big games. The unfluffiness I meant was the LOS part.

It shouldn't be like "Run away, oh wait the gramps is watching, don't run away", rather "The Celestial is with us, the Tau'va will prevail! Hold the line!!!". My soldiers are facing the enemy, they don't have time to look at the Ethereal anyway :wtf:

That change was stupid, that's all.

Mr Zephy
09-11-2006, 21:27
Agreed, also they all have radios for encouraging messages to be broadcast over.