PDA

View Full Version : 24th Cathayan Expeditionaries

Mephistofeles
09-11-2006, 17:30
Hi there folks, and welcome to my project log. Here within I will post pictures and ideas regarding my latest (and first really serious) army project, the 24th Cathayan Expeditionaries.

Basically, this is an Empire Horde Army, which is themed on Cathay. I will be using models from Perry Miniatures, and paint them in a redish colour scheme. The three first units are painted, and so is the first cannon, and pictures of them will be posted as soon as I get my hands on a camera.

Now this is going to be a 180-model army, so there is quite a lot to paint, and therefore I am dipping the army. For those of you who do not know what that is, dipping is when you paint the models without highlighting or shading, and then dip it in a laquer of sorts so that they become shaded and high-lighted without you having to do it yourself. With this method I paint 6 models in about an hour, and you can judge about the quality yourselves when I post the pictures.

The army will when finished include 90 spearmen, 40 Free Company, 20 Greatswords, 20 Handgunners, 2 Cannons, 2 Captains on Pegasuses, one mounted BSB and one Wizard Lord. They will be bought and finished in the following order:

30 spearmen
10 Handgunners+10 Free Company+1 Cannon and Crew
30 Spearmen
10 Handgunner+10 Free Company+1 Cannon and Crew
20 Greatswords+10 Free Company
30 Spearmen
10 Free Company+All the heroes.

I buy them in smaller portions and finish that portion, that is the only way for me to cope with painting such a large army. The first two lines on the list are done, and the models for the third are on their way.

Mephistofeles
09-11-2006, 17:42
Also, for this army, I am going to make the whole "train" of supply wagons and camp followers. I will make quite a lot of wagons and carts loaded with supplies, trading goods, prisoners and god knows what. I am then going to mount the army together with the supply convoy on a Display Base, featuring a steppe landscape with a wide muddy road (The Silk Road) with the caravan on, and then the whole army positioned on one of the Caravans sides preparing to fend of a HobGoblin assault.

The train will include:

Carts and wagons with supplies
Wagons with prisoners of war
Walking slaves
Trade-carts full of goods to be traded in the west
Walking civilians and Merchants who follow the army west
Livestock such as cows, horses and sheep.
Pack Animals loaded with goods and supplies.

If you have any cool ideas for this caravan, please let me know! I'm going to buy the animals and civilians, and the carts, wagons, supplies and goods will I make myself out of Green Stuff and Plasticard.

LordGoatee
09-11-2006, 18:07
Sounds like a really great idea! Have you seen one of the recent White Dwarfs, there's some Cathayans in the back (made by some guy, in the UK one at least, dunno if it's in the WD over in 'Sverige')
Getting some inspiration from the historic Chinese, I thought of some ideas for the wagon train:
Fireworks! The Chinese built rockets to shoot at people- A cart full of 'em would look cool! (maybe some kind of gun to shoot them...)
A warrior priest... with monks robes. (If you're OK with green stuff) like the Tibetan monks.
YAKS! Big hairy ones, too. They would make good pack animals, in my opinion.

Anyway, I think this is a great idea for a really individual and fun army! I would love to play against such an army and I wish you all the luck in persevering with this fantastic idea for a project!

Mephistofeles
09-11-2006, 18:58
Yeaks are a fantastic idea! I'm not that good of a modeller, but I'll see if I can find some nice looking models from foundry, I'll get back to you on that.

Fireworks would also be really cool, especially now that the Empire seems to get a Rocket Launcher á la Chinese Style, so I might actually be able to use it in the game! I will at the very least take a cart full of 'em, I mean, the merchants travelling with the army are bound to make heaps of gold of off them if they sell them in the Empire or to some Goblins!

The Monk will be there, he will have long robes and a hat like Raven has in Mortal Kombat, if you know how he looks? He might actually be my Wizard Lord...

And again, YAKS! I must have some, wonderful idea!

And no, I have not seen the WD, I'll check. We have the same WD as the UK, so it should be there. I'll check.

LordGoatee
10-11-2006, 16:23
Sorry not to give a issue number- I've lost half my WD's:wtf:
Anyway, I want to see how this idea turns out!
Have you converted the free company, cannon etc or painted any of 'em? I'd like to see some pictures! :D
(sorry that sounds a bit demanding doesn't it...)

Mephistofeles
10-11-2006, 20:46
I have painted the first two lines of the list, i.e. 10 Free Company, 10 Handgunners, 1 Cannon with crew and 30 Spearmen. I am now basing them, the peasants are done, the handgunners and perhaps spearmen will be done by sunday. I will try to get a picture of them during the week-end.

And on the subject of models, I am using models from www.Perry-Miniatures.com , the Samurai Range, they are damn good, and work perfectly well as Chinese as long as you stay away from the Samurais and ninjas, and use the basic infantry (Ashigaru). Which is what I do.

I have planned the conversion of the heroes on pegasuses, they will be knights on armoured horse, bought from Perry-miniatures, and with the wings from the Balthasar Gelt Pegasus attached.

baphomael
11-11-2006, 23:03
Those Perry Ashigaru still look a bit too "Japanese". You could always go the Nippon route, but there are plenty of companies that do ancient Chinese that might work better.

Arhalien
12-11-2006, 10:55
Those Perry models are nice! They are the first non-GW models I have seen that seem to be near GW quality.

Are they all metal?

CAn;t wait to see how this turns out eventually.

Mephistofeles
12-11-2006, 18:23
I think they look all cathay/chinese to me, at least if they are seen as early-mid Chinese infantry, which they are. I refuse to go the Nippon route, japanese stuff is just to lame.

I'll post pictures here now, of the first 30 spearmen, the first 10 handgunners and the first 10 Free Company Fighters. The Cannon will be done later this week.

baphomael
12-11-2006, 18:44
"I think they look all cathay/chinese to me, at least if they are seen as early-mid Chinese infantry, which they are. I refuse to go the Nippon route, japanese stuff is just to lame."

Good, it always niggles me when people begin talking about Cathay as if it is feudal Japan. Its like many forget there is an island to the east of Cathay called Nippon. If Cathay is like Japan then whats Nippon supposed to be?!
No, go with the Chinese route. At least it'll be less derivative than the Nipponophile "samurai-could-beat-a-full-plate-medieval-knight-katana-can-cut-through-a-treetrunk-in-a-single-swipe" type of thing

Mephistofeles
12-11-2006, 18:59
Yeah, I mean, Cathay is China, and Nippon is Japan, that's how I see it, and that's how it was meant to be. Cannons and infantry-hordes with broad-swords are cooler then samurais and katanas.

Side Note: Cathay was actually the late medieval European name for China. Nippon means Japan in Japanese...Point proven :P

asmodai_dark86
12-11-2006, 19:52
...and this is a fantasy game, so who cares?

Seriously though if you wanted to mash the two, it wouldnt really matter - make them look cool and jobs a good un

Mephistofeles
12-11-2006, 20:19
Well, that's why it was a side-note :P And I care...

Anyway, of course they can be mixed. In fact as I recall it Nippon is a province in Cathay, meaning that I can make a "chinese" army, and use samurais and ninjas in it if I want to. But I don't :P

LordGoatee
14-11-2006, 15:02
They look like good representations to me. Actually, if you look on page 202 of the new WH rulebook, they look very like the illustration there.

Mephistofeles
15-11-2006, 13:44
Here comes some pictures, not the best quality, but enjoy:

Boss_Salvage
15-11-2006, 14:22
Are they dipped? They look good all the same, and really awesome to see units of different, non-GW models. They rank up nicely too, though I'm guessing smaller in scale compared to Heroic Warhammer stuff. Keep up the good work!

- Salvage

Mephistofeles
15-11-2006, 15:58
They are dipped yes, I couldn't make myself paint over 200 models without dipping :P

How do you mean with "Heroic Warhammer Stuff" ? They are 28 mm, and done by the Perry Twins, who has made a lot of the current "real" warhammer models, so they are "the same" in scale and looks as the GW-stuff...

Zodiac
15-11-2006, 16:28
You might want to spray dullcoat over them though, they shine a little much..
As for the miniatures and the paintjob , COOL , I really like the
"inbred chinese peasants" and the spearmen are really awesome too!
Keep it up, but spray some coats :D

Boss_Salvage
15-11-2006, 16:53
Warhammer is 'heroic' 28mm scale, meaning that weapons, heads and hands tend to be exaggerated and out of proportion. The new Empire handgunners are a descent example of huge guns, and I'm sure you can think of more - like how people are always making 'true scale' space marines, lengthening legs and torsos to match their heads and arms. Go fig.

I'm not bashing the models at all, and perhaps I'm totally off in how these models stand up to current GW human models. They look good, and I'm just happy to see an army with some more proportionate limbs and heads ;)

- Salvage

Mephistofeles
15-11-2006, 16:58
Zodiac: Why thank you! :)
I will look up this "dal-coat" of which you speak, might fix my shiny problems. Thanks for the tip!

Boss_Salvage: Ah, you mean like that, sorry, then I missunderstood you. The warhammer range has some serious fallos-problems with hands, weapons and heads, but I think that the warhammer-models which are designed by the Perry-Twins usually look proportional and "good", but yes, compared to most models these guys are too "Proportional".

I just got another 30 spearmen, I have trimmed them and will undercoat and start painting them friday as it looks now. When they are done, I will have 85 models done, whoopie, a third...

Zodiac
15-11-2006, 19:36
I just got another 30 spearmen, I have trimmed them and will undercoat and start painting them friday as it looks now. When they are done, I will have 85 models done, whoopie, a third...

You know, the real truth is, that when an army is painted you must stop.
You cannot, I REPEAT you CANNOT finish another army.
You know why?
It will make me cry, so stop painting and go play outside. Its not funny anymore! :mad:

Mephistofeles
15-11-2006, 20:23
It will make you cry if I finish another army after this one? :p

Why is that then?

(By the way, I'm planning on starting to convert a turn-marker, captured- banner-tokens and Misscast-markers next week)

Arhalien
15-11-2006, 20:27
Warhammer is 'heroic' 28mm scale, meaning that weapons, heads and hands tend to be exaggerated and out of proportion.

Have to agree. Sword from the HE archer champ is about a head shorter than an elf archer. The bows on the elves don;t seem to fit this theory though, as longbows are meant to be taller than their wielders.

I really like those models, and the red lacquered scheme looks good as well. Keep it up!

LordGoatee
17-11-2006, 15:55
They look good!
I agree about the proportion stuff, and these do seem a little more... (I don't want to say realistic because it's fantasy anyway)

Cool!

Zodiac
17-11-2006, 16:57
It will make you cry if I finish another army after this one? :p

Why is that then?

(By the way, I'm planning on starting to convert a turn-marker, captured- banner-tokens and Misscast-markers next week)

I never finish one! :P Just a joke though.

Mrlemonjelly
17-11-2006, 17:23
This is certainly an interesting army theme, and they're very well painted. I can't help but think you've washed them a bit much though (The dark patches are very dark and gloopy looking).

Mephistofeles
17-11-2006, 18:28
Zodiac: Of course I understood it was just a joke :P By the way, I've never managed to complete an army before, I have been playing this since I was a small kid (in -96) and this is my first real army...

Mrlemonjelly: They are actually not washed at all, they are dipped, and they are far less dipped then what they "should" be, since I tried to avoid the "gloppy" effect. It's hard though.

Easy E
19-11-2006, 07:08
Great thing about this army is you can also use it for Historical gaming. Two armies for the price of one!

Job's a good 'un.

||-MARKO-||
19-11-2006, 11:07
I tried to avoid the "gloppy" effect. It's hard though.

nice army theme, and well painted too. you said you wnated to avoid the gloppiness, id say you could try painting the original colour over the dipped colour, ot give some depth and act as highlighting. it will also take away the gloppiness of those areas to some degree...

marko :cheese:

Mephistofeles
19-11-2006, 11:27
nice army theme, and well painted too. you said you wnated to avoid the gloppiness, id say you could try painting the original colour over the dipped colour, ot give some depth and act as highlighting. it will also take away the gloppiness of those areas to some degree...

marko :cheese:

Well, there is the fact that then I would almost spend as much time on each model as if I didn't dip, and I just won't cope that on all 220 of 'em... :(

And then there's the fact that I don't know how well the colours would stay on the bistrot laque I've dipped 'em in...

Mephistofeles
28-11-2006, 19:16
Well, now another 30 spearmen are done, and I thought I'd update this log on my proceedings:

I have now finished (painted, dipped, based, ranked and equipped) 60 spearmen, 10 free company, 12 handgunners and 1 cannon with crew.

The Cannon have been mounted on a display base, with one crewmen lighting his fuse-torch and one holding his hands over his ears. The Display-Base is a simple one which is just a square base covered with sand, painted and flocked.
Pictures of the Cannon with crew will be posted ASAP.

I have just (this past sunday) ordered 12 handgunners, 12 Free Company, crew for another cannon and officers for my next two Spearmen units.

I plan on finishing those by the end of next weak, at least I'm planning on ordering new ones that friday.
My painting schedule has been accelerated, my original plan was to paint one unit each month, but my last 30-man unit was done in 9 days, and the two 10-man groups before that was done in 3 weeks I think. I'm therefore planning on finishing these two 10-man units in roughly 1½ weeks.

After those guys are done, I'm moving on to the Greatswords, which I'm immensly looking forward to painting! I'm going to use these models to represent them: http://www.perry-miniatures.com/images/sam54b.jpg
I just have to come up with a good way to differentiate them from eachother, since there are only 6 variants. Any ideas?

That's all for now, hopefully there will be pictures of the Cannon by the week-end, we'll see.

Calgar
28-11-2006, 19:43
Ace job on those Cathayans, truly ace indeed! :)

Arhalien
29-11-2006, 18:25
I'll say it again, those Perry Minis are nice. Are they plastic or metal?

Mephistofeles
29-11-2006, 18:27
Calgar: Why thank you, I do my best ^^

Arhalien: They are super-sweet! They are all metal, all of them, even the horses. And they are super-nicely priced to, 6 pounds for 6 of 'em, that's nice IMO.

Zodiac
29-11-2006, 18:38
I'm looking forward to seeing the greatswords.. just a thought from me:
Paint them all in their own heraldry, they will look rag-tag, but like gentlemen :D

BTW: Did you try the testors dull coat?

Arhalien
29-11-2006, 18:40
Calgar: Why thank you, I do my best ^^

Arhalien: They are super-sweet! They are all metal, all of them, even the horses. And they are super-nicely priced to, 6 pounds for 6 of 'em, that's nice IMO.

mmm, one pound a model. Pity that they probably wouldn't be allowed in a GW store, or I might try an army of some kind out of their minis. Although, I do find metal models a real pain,they just break too easily.

Mephistofeles
29-11-2006, 19:31
Zodiac: I'm planning on painting them in different colours, at least so that no identical models have the same colours. That will go a long way I think. Plus the fact that I realized that I won't be getting that many duplicates, since I will have a unit of 25, with 3 different command models and 6 different sculpts for the other ones, it will look like this:

Models: 1,2,3,4,5,6, + (S)tandard, (M)usician and (C)hampion

Unit:

1 M C S 2
3 4 5 6 1
2 6 1 3 5
3 4 5 2 6

Or something like that. Each model will only repeat 3 times, and in very remote locations from eachother. Then they will be painted in different colours as you suggest. Piece of cake ^^

And no, I have not yet had the time to try the dull-coat, but I think I will. Anybody who knows where I can buy it?

Arrhalien: Here in Sweden we don't seem to have that many actual GW-events, and all tournaments I've checked allow non-GW-models :)

They don't seem to be breaking that easily for me (pure luck I guess), and when they do, they are easily glued together again :)

bobert the great clen one
05-12-2006, 22:08
u must update u muuuuust (gets eaten by zomies )

woot! im undead !!!

woot!!!! 500th post!!

Arhalien
06-12-2006, 13:42
Seconded, please update this mephistopholes, I want to see more! They are all very good!

Mephistofeles
07-12-2006, 16:47
The reason why I have not updated yet is because there was problems with my credit card for my last order from Perry, but it seems to be fixed now. I will take pictures of the finished cannon and some group pictures of the whole army, they are over 500 points now :)

Mephistofeles
11-12-2006, 22:04
Ok, small update:

My stuff from Perry have finally been shipped, after much hassle, and are now on their way, should arrive by tomorrow. I will try and paint them in 3 days (10 Free Company and 10 handgunners) and I will then order 30 more spearmen...

The long promised pictures of the Cannon will be posted wednesday!

mrtn
12-12-2006, 23:14
...If you have any cool ideas for this caravan, please let me know! ....
Bactrian Camels! (Håriga kameler med två pucklar, in Swedish) :)

...After those guys are done, I'm moving on to the Greatswords, which I'm immensly looking forward to painting! I'm going to use these models to represent them: http://www.perry-miniatures.com/images/sam54b.jpg
Aren't Greatswords supposed to have Heavy Armour? Those guys hardly have any... Or will you ignore that part of WYSIWYG?

Looking nice. :cool:

13-12-2006, 01:15
O M F G those minis are goregeous how are you going to unify them or are you going to make them all like a band of heros like really individual

Mephistofeles
13-12-2006, 20:36
mrtn: Well, they do have armour, and the ones who doesn't have "enough" have big robes and stuff which could presumably cover their armour :P
I reckon that heavy armour and light armor in warhammer take a variaty of forms, from chainmail to breastplates and just helmets. Now, the problem with Greatswords is that they should even have Full Plate Armour. I am going to ignore that part of WYSIWYG, and just say that: Hey, they have armour on them, and the robes cover yet more armour, I promise you!

Bobert: The whole army is unified by the colour red, these guyes will be looking like a big unit of heroes yes. I might give them red details to make them fit together.

Mephistofeles
13-12-2006, 21:02
And now, finally ladies and gents, the long promised Cathayan Great Cannon with Crew!

13-12-2006, 21:25
wow ! may i ask how much these models are?

asmodai_dark86
13-12-2006, 22:28
Well I had thought for a long time that this'd be a log that talked the talk but didnt do the walk - the cannon looks smart and I cant wait to see the infantry although they look overbased...

LordGoatee
14-12-2006, 18:25
Those cannons are really nice. I like the paint scheme for the crew as well.

Arhalien
14-12-2006, 18:38
woo! Update, at last! Looking nice. Can;t wait to see more.

Mephistofeles
14-12-2006, 19:31
Bobert: They are all metal, and priced 6 GBP per 6 models. The cannon is the same, but you get a cannon and 4 crew, allthough I use the Empire cannon from warhammer (since the perry cannon is a portugese naval cannon which looks...pathetic :P)

Asmodai: I will take some pictures of the whole army soon, since I now have 600+ points or something like that. Explain how you mean overbased?

LordGoatee: Thank you very much kind sir :)

Arhalien: Thank you, I just got the models which were 2 weeks late, they will hopefully be done by next week and I'll post pictures of them then. Hopefully I'll post pictures of the whole 800 points force then ^^

pililuk
14-12-2006, 22:29
Side Note: Cathay was actually the late medieval European name for China. Nippon means Japan in Japanese...Point proven :P

Just to tell you nippon isnt japanese for japan Nihon is.

Mephistofeles
15-12-2006, 09:40
Nihon is the way you pronounce it, you still spell it Nippon. If the japanese were to use our letters that is...

asmodai_dark86
15-12-2006, 13:36
Well the bases look really chunky when compared to the model itself.

Actually having look again its not too bad (damn my tired eyes) but I'd watch out for it as it has a tendancy to happen with historical figures.

Mephistofeles
15-12-2006, 19:26
Yes, I try to use a very fine sand, and not have too much grass, since it looks a bit silly

Voronwe[MQ]
15-12-2006, 20:46
Nice great cannon. Or, to say it in swedish; gött! :p

The halberdiers look like a mercenary unit, whilst the (hakebösseskyttarna i svenska) is convincing.

Voronwe

Mephistofeles
16-12-2006, 09:52
The Halberdiers (Greatswords) are supposed to look like they don't really belong, since they are not part of the standing army fluffwise here. The Handgunners (Arquebusiers) and spearmen (Yari Ashigaru) are supposed to be a standing regiment of soldiers of the nation, and thus have a colour scheme to fit, they all have the same uniform and armour.

The Monks (Ikko-jikki) are supposed to be more of the personal bodyguard of the wizard lord (Taipingzhenjun) and as such are not a standing part of the army, but more characters in their own right, specialised elite warriors hand picked to protect him, his temple and his family. As such they are supposed to look a bit out of place, but still as a part of the army, which is why their armours will also be red, but their clothing individual.

Mephistofeles
16-12-2006, 23:32
Also: I know this doesn't really have anything to do with the actual painting and building of the army, but I just have to brag about it: Yesterday I played against a SAD-army (Skryre army of Doom/Death), containing 3 Ratling Guns, 2 Warplightning Cannons, a Grey seer on Doom Bell and other nasty stuff. He had 13 power dice, I had my mighty 4 dispel and one scroll.

I won a Solid victory, he had one unit left in the end, sadly that was the unit containing the Grey Seer. That unit was surrounded by five of my units on all sides...

I really like this army ^^

LordGoatee
17-12-2006, 19:46
Your ideas for the fluff of your army sound ace- I always think it's the fluff which really makes the army...
(cringes ready for 'no it doesn't!' reply)
Anyway.

Mephistofeles
17-12-2006, 19:55
I couldn't agree more, I think it's the fluff which makes the whole game!

I could write the "basic" fluff behind this army in this thread if you'd like to read and say what you think?

Jimbobjeff
17-12-2006, 21:02
wow they look really good!, its too bad they wont be allowed in gw stores(where I usually play) or Id do some!

Mephistofeles
17-12-2006, 21:23
Basic Background of the 24th Cathayan Expeditionaries

Commander Taizu was for many years a regular officer in the Cathayan Army. He was the commander of a small contingent set to guard the eastern coast of Cathay from raiders, both human and otherwise.
After having guarded the coast for many years, that which Taizu long had dreaded one day happened: a large force of Dark Elves landed on the shores of his territory, and with ruthless savagery they destroyd several villages and slew all who came in their path, children and elderly alike.

Taizu gathered his host and attacked the elven raiders, but was swiftly driwen back into the woods on the borders of the province. There he rallied his men, gathered a sizeable force of the local peasantry which had also been driven into the woods from their homes, and attacked the Dark Elves with renewed strenght. He managed to beat them and drive them back to the sea, where he and his force utterly annihilated the elves to the last man, and set their whole fleet alight and sent it back over the seas as a warning sign to all other would be invaders not to come near the shores guarded by Taizu again.

When word of Taizus great victory reached the court, he was immediately summoned to the capital and appointed General Commander. He was granted command over a vast warhost and was sent on a mission to expand the borders of Cathay westwards and on the way set up trading posts, outposts, found villages and trade with the foreign peoples of those far away lands.

On his journey westwards he has brought a small community of merchants, soldiers-families, bearers, animal handlers, cooks and all manner of other camp followers, not to mention the whole herds of chickens, cows, sheep and all manner of other creatures needed to supply the force on its great mission.

Zodiac
17-12-2006, 22:14
I really like your story, what about your commander having a dark elf head beneath his foot, to show you didnt just make it up before the game :D?

Mephistofeles
18-12-2006, 20:17
I will probably not have a dark elf head on his base, but I'm thinking of giving him some other token which he took from the Dark Elves commander after he beat him in single combat (with some help from his family heirloom pendulum). I don't quite know what though...

Or I just model him standing on a dark elf shield...

19-12-2006, 04:58
or give him a sea dragon cloak .....

Mephistofeles
19-12-2006, 12:12
Yeah I was thinking about that, but it didn't seem right that he would carry the armour of his fallen enemy, it seems to be a bit "dishonourable" for him, to lower himself to looting in that way.

I'll see what it ends up as...

Small update: I have now primed and painted the red on 12 handgunners and 12 free company, hopefully they will be ready to dip by thursday, and then you might have pictures by friday, hopefully of the whole army (almost 800 points)

Arhalien
19-12-2006, 12:23
Have you got the greatsword models yet? And I;m looking forward to seeing this new update (as ever :)). It's nice to see a unique project log like this, not only fantasy but non-GW.

Mephistofeles
19-12-2006, 14:25
I have not gotten the greatswords yet, but i think they are the next ones I'll order (on thursday or something like that). I have settled for 25 of them, with a 10-man Free Company Detachment. I'm just trying to figure out how to do the banner for them...

I also don't know how to make the BSB, I want him to really stand out from the rest of the force. He will be the only mounted model in the army as it seems know, but i don't know how to make the banner. I am thinking of making a HUGE banner and print the heraldry on it. I want the motive to be something like this: http://www.draconika.com/img/chinese-dragon-black.jpg

What do you think?

Arhalien
19-12-2006, 14:33
are you going to have a unit of cavalry then for your bsb to be in (didn;t see it in the original list), or are you just going to ahve him in an infantry unit?

That banner motif should look nice.
edit: maybe the third mini along oin the mounted commanders page with a banner stuck on his spear for the bsb?
http://www.perry-miniatures.com/index2.html

Edit2: I;ve just had a look at the crusades knights, and I was thinking how good they'd look as a bret army. Just a random little point :D

LordGoatee
19-12-2006, 15:08
Your story behind the army sounds great by the way.
For the commander: why not give him the dark elf's sword? It may seem like looting but surely he's showing respect for his opponent by using his sword from then on? (Also it would probably look cool)
I must also say that I love the way you've taken the baggage train into acount:

On his journey westwards he has brought a small community of merchants, soldiers-families, bearers, animal handlers, cooks and all manner of other camp followers, not to mention the whole herds of chickens, cows, sheep and all manner of other creatures needed to supply the force on its great mission.
I always try to do this with my armies (limbers for cannons etc) as I think it makes it much more believable- an army is not just the bit that fights!
Are you going to model ALL of the baggage train?

Mephistofeles
19-12-2006, 18:09
Arhalien: Yeah, that guy would suit very good as a BSB, but then I would lower his arm a little bit so that he holds the banner upright...it might work good. Thanks for the tip.
He will be with a infantry unit, I will have no cavalry in the army at all actually, at least not in 2250 points.

LordGoatee: I will try to model the whole baggage train, I will plan it tonight and write a suggestion for what it will consist of later tonight.

I will think about the dark elves sword, it would be cool I think, but I'm not sure, the dark elves swords are so big, but I'll check what my options are. Do you have any suggestion for what sword he might have?

Zodiac
19-12-2006, 18:20
I will have no cavalry in the army at all actually, at least not in 2250 points.
---- any suggestion for what sword he might have?

If you are planning a GT, you will need 75% GW models!
Did you know this? Cause it sucks I think.. and it makes a little sense.

You can use the weapons from the witch elves! Or even a dark eldar one if you must, but the metal weapons are smaller than the plastic ones!
Will look good... Hope you can use it!

Mephistofeles
19-12-2006, 20:05
I thought I had to have 100% GW actually, so I was not aiming for a GT no :P

I live in sweden, and here non-gw models are allowed at (nearly) all bigger tournaments, so I had no worries about that.

I am (hopefully, I'm on the reserves list) attending a 2250 tournament on the 19 (I think) of March, and I am trying desperately to have the army done by then. I have painted 85 models, and I thus have 160 left...it's going to be HARD to get them done in time, but I can always hope.

I have one or two holidays to work on, christmas and some spring break, I'll make those count.

It's hard to paint 250 models in 6 months, especially when you have a girlfriend :P

Mephistofeles
20-12-2006, 20:23
Small Update: Managed to finish 24 models today, I painted them this past monday and today, making them now completely finished, in 9 hours of work!

That almost 1 model every 20 minutes...*brag brag*

I'll try and post pictures of the army tomorrow, it now consists of:

60 Spearmen
24 Free Company
24 Handgunners
1 Cannon

Roughly 750 points.

Mephistofeles
21-12-2006, 19:31
Ok, I am the only one writing in this thread, but never mind, I'll talk to myself :P

I just completely finished the bases and all the last things on my handgunners and free company, I will post pictures of both them and the whole army tomorrow. 108 models, 752 points.

Khrangar
21-12-2006, 19:36
It's hard to paint anything with a girlfriend most of the time :P. I've been keeping an eye on this thread but haven't posted in it.

I'm here to say good job and keep it up.

Khrangar

tancrede
21-12-2006, 20:22
i think the same as khrangar.
i keep an eye on your thread (mainly because i have a personal interest on japanese things, but your army is original), as i do on some other, but i can't post a word to everyone...

keep it up!

LordGoatee
22-12-2006, 10:20
108 models, 752 points.
Blimey all that done already? You're more motivated that me... takes me ages to do anything substantial.
I don't know too much about DE swords but the metal ones do look smaller.
For the wagons, I must voice that they should be pulled by yaks, 'cos it would look cool. Maybe a 'wickerwork' effect on th sides would look cool?
Maybe have a wagon with monks brewing tea in.

This is why I never get round to things- too many ideas!

Stouty
22-12-2006, 16:01
Just read through this whole thing and I must say I'm very impressed and awaiting further updates!

I'm interested in how fantastical you'll make you're characters though, at the mo it seems very historical.(not saying that as an altogether bad thing)

Mephistofeles
22-12-2006, 23:02
Khrangar & Tancrede: Thank you very much ^^

LordGoatee: The Wagons will be pulled by oxens as it seems now, it's damn hard to get hold of Yak Models. But I might try to make one wagon like that :P

The monks would be cool to, at least to have a wagon full of pots and stuff.

Stouty: Thank you very much.
I will try to make the characters very fantastic, the BSB will be the only mounted model in the army, and he will have a HUGE banner with a blazing Chinese Dragon on it, and the Wizard Lord will be based on the new Eldar Farseer with some add-ons and another head and such things. Hopefully that will work.

Mephistofeles
22-12-2006, 23:33
Ok, and here comes the promised army picture, it's about two fifths the final army, 108 models our of 260. Hope you like 'em!

spikedog
23-12-2006, 01:39
Very nice looking army and you are steaming through it at a rate of knots!

Also good job making Japanese (Dai Nippon Teikoku) models look Chinese, I think the red red really helps achieve this.

I look forward to seeing your display base when you have a chance to make it, as well as all the extras you talked about in the start, wagons, carts etc.

tancrede
23-12-2006, 08:31
very, very nice army.
i think i will show your work to a friend of mine, who started a japanese themed army or battle, mainly with perry miniatures.

Rikkjourd
23-12-2006, 09:08
Nice work, very inspiring. Where do you live in Sweden exactly? Those look so good that I want a chance to kill them =)

Mephistofeles
23-12-2006, 09:41
Spikedog: Thank you very much, I was a bit worried in the start that they would look to japanese, but when I look at them I think they look more chinese then japanese. A bit ironic that the red achieves this, since I based the colourscheme on the army of Li Naotaka, a japanese general :P

Tancrede: Thank you, tell me what he thinks of it, I would love to inspire someone with this :)

Rikkjourd: I live in Nyköping, ten "mil" south of Stockholm. I'm trying to finish this army for Rouge Trader Open, and hope I get to play in it, maybe I'll see you there? I'll also be playing at Lincon next year.
Or we can just arrange a meeting when the army is finished in a couple of months, we have a great place for playing games here in Nyköping.

Mephistofeles
09-01-2007, 13:47
Ok, there has been a real shortage on updates here, due to more delivery problems and general **** ups...

Anyway, I have now gotten 30 spearmen, including casaulties, which I really look forward to painting.

They will hopefuly be done by next week, but right now I can't work on 'em since I'm so sick that I can hardly move, and there's blood and mucus and all manner of nastyness everywhere. This night I had such a fever I thought me feet were squids, and then bulldozers...

Anyway, hopefully pics of the new unit by next week-end.

mrtn
09-01-2007, 18:02
Krya på dig!

Looking forward to see updates.

Mephistofeles
10-01-2007, 20:54
Ok, today I have started on the 40 spearmen, I filed and primed all of 'em, and started painting 7, didn't have time for much.

Now, two strange things happened:

1: My parents told me that I got the 40 models as a birthdaypresent. It's about 60£

2: The Perrys sent me another package of 40 models, since I completely blundered with the order form. This was another 60£. My parents told me that I got these as a birthday present too...

That means I just got 120£ worth of models as birthday presents from my parents. I mean, seriously, it's not like we are rich or anything, I mean that's a HELL of a lot of money!

Well, I'm happy anyway, now I have just 1 more regiment of spearmen to buy, and then the greatswords, and then I'm done. Wonderful.

Oh, I just counted, and my parents actually gave me 96 models for the army. That's almost exactly a third. A big thanks to them :P

Mephistofeles
16-01-2007, 18:48
OK, I have now finished one more unit of spearmen, and will post pictures soon. This unit includes wounded and a real unit champion, I hope you like it.

Arhalien
16-01-2007, 18:54
96 models, a third of your army? Are you insane!

Looking forward to the next update though :D

Mephistofeles
16-01-2007, 20:08
96 models, a third of your army? Are you insane!

Looking forward to the next update though :D

Well, remember that this army is going to be 263 models in total... I have almost 160 or so ready now... I will count them tomorrow when I take pictures.

Arhalien
16-01-2007, 20:10
:O 263 models, you are mad. :)

Mephistofeles
18-01-2007, 16:20
:O 263 models, you are mad. :)

Why thank you very much :p

I will be done with the next two units of spearmen (60) by sunday, and will post pictures of them then. Maybe their detachments will show up then too, we'll see.

NornTyrant
22-01-2007, 02:21
Hi there Mephistofeles, I am also working myself on the Perry Twin Japanese models, which mean the same one as you! I live in Hong Kong so it is really nice to see that there is another person half the way around the world working on the same model as me! :D

I am using the same models for a Japanese theme army, target to use the Empire rules (if I can ever finish it). I paint the models instead of dipping, so I am much slower. For more than 3 years, I can hardly manage to paint less than 100 models. (I am a lazy painter):p

My theme army is Takeda, a warlord in the 16th century in Japan. I used orange red for his army.

There is a suggestion for the Greatsword. I am planning to use the Samurai with Yari, and change the Yari to Naginata (can be bought in the Perry models, SAM 29), it could give you a good Greatsword block ;)

Are you planning to have some Fagellants? If you do you can buy the "Armed Monks attacking with naginata"

lilljonas
22-01-2007, 18:11
I'm actually doing exactly the same thing, using Perry Miniatures for Empire as it seems to be impossible to find 28mm historical gamers in Sweden. However, I'm going all Japanese, basing them on the eastern army at Sekigahara. But painting those Perry samurai takes ages, compared to anything I've done in Warhammer! Too many details!

Anyway, it's great to see those units together, they look really good and it's a good source of motivation to get my force going. Keep up the good work!

NornTyrant
23-01-2007, 00:45
I'm actually doing exactly the same thing, using Perry Miniatures for Empire as it seems to be impossible to find 28mm historical gamers in Sweden. However, I'm going all Japanese, basing them on the eastern army at Sekigahara. But painting those Perry samurai takes ages, compared to anything I've done in Warhammer! Too many details!

Anyway, it's great to see those units together, they look really good and it's a good source of motivation to get my force going. Keep up the good work!

Way to go, man, another collegues here for the eastern army :)

The Perry Twins did a really good job at those minatures. The details in those miniatures are historically correct. Since I am deeply interested at that period of Japan, so I had quit some books. When I compare those miniatures and the illustration of the books, they match! This is simply outstanding ;) I will not be suprise if an Japanese sculptor can produce that kind of quality, but an Briitish scultor! Amazing :eek:

If you are gonna to be historical, then lilljonas, I would suggest that you can have some books that contain material and colour scheme at that period. It helps a lot to create an historical accurate theme of army. I had at least 4 feet of books about that period of time (all in Japanese :rolleyes: ) and at least 5 books that are theme at the Takeda army.

What is your color scheme? Do you have some pictures to share with us?

lilljonas
23-01-2007, 10:35
Yes, the Perry Twins are amazing in that they can pick up virtually any era of historicals and make good miniatures out of it. I've even been tempted to pick up some of those napoleon wars miniatures, and that's really an era I don't find very thrilling usually.

Regarding litterature, the idea has been brewing since I studied japanese history some years ago at university, and since then I've been living in Japan for half a year, and I'm going back there this autumn. Seeing castles and armours in museums is a good inspiration, even though Osprey's books works just as well! :D Being interested in Takeda, have you checked their book on Kawanakajima? It's quite nice.

Regarding colour scheme, I'm really torn between a "realistic" samurai army and a "table top" army with a proper colour scheme. The first one would probably be much less cohesive, but it would allow myself to put many of the generals from Sekigahara on the table, since Perry miniatures have several of them made. However, it would be more of an explosion of colour like Bretonnia, and I have yet to see if it works out well, since I'm still on my first samurai, trying to figure out whether black primer (my usual method) it better than white primer for them, since I'm having a hard time getting all the details to show. Those Perry do are so tricky to paint! The ashigaru will probably be easier, as they will allow me to paint them in uniform colour, either I'll go with only ashigaru from one general for a complete uniform look (all red, like Mephistofeles, looks great), or I'll make them from several attending lords. Hopefully the flags will make it more coherent, but I'm slightly afraid that they will end up like a big blob of paint from a distance. *sigh*

No pics for now, we'll see if Mephistofeles would approve of us making it into a general "Perry fans"-thread, or if we should get separate project threads. I've never taken good pictures of miniatures, so it would be interesting to experiment once I have done some white primer experiments so I can put them up for comparison.

Mephistofeles
23-01-2007, 15:22
Hi there Mephistofeles, I am also working myself on the Perry Twin Japanese models, which mean the same one as you! I live in Hong Kong so it is really nice to see that there is another person half the way around the world working on the same model as me! :D

I am using the same models for a Japanese theme army, target to use the Empire rules (if I can ever finish it). I paint the models instead of dipping, so I am much slower. For more than 3 years, I can hardly manage to paint less than 100 models. (I am a lazy painter):p

My theme army is Takeda, a warlord in the 16th century in Japan. I used orange red for his army.

There is a suggestion for the Greatsword. I am planning to use the Samurai with Yari, and change the Yari to Naginata (can be bought in the Perry models, SAM 29), it could give you a good Greatsword block ;)

Are you planning to have some Fagellants? If you do you can buy the "Armed Monks attacking with naginata"

Hehe, cool to see other people making the same type of army as I am, even though yours are more japanese than chinese (as I'm trying to make mine appear).

This is one of the factors why I am thinking of using the naginata-armed monks as greatswords, since I think that samurais will gear the army more towards a japanese feel, which I am really keen to try and avoid. I will probably use samurai miniatures converted to carry shields (which I am very aware no samurai ever would consider) as my swordsmen, but I shall see. I am very torn here, since the armour of the samurai models would fit the greatswords so much better, but at the same time, they are samurais...

Maybe I could make them samurais after all, since in the warhammer world Nippon seems to be a province of Cathay, which would make it perfectly logical for a high ranking commander of the Cathayan army to have a bodyguard of Nipponese auxillaries...

This requires some thinking... ;)

Mephistofeles
23-01-2007, 15:24

Hehe, thank you very much for that, I need all the encouragement I can get, I'm getting a little weary of painting the Yari Ashigaru now, I'm on my 130th model now...

By the way, I've started a "Perry-Models" thread in the painting forum now, were all can post their pictures of their own perry-works.

NornTyrant
24-01-2007, 00:53
Regarding litterature, the idea has been brewing since I studied japanese history some years ago at university, and since then I've been living in Japan for half a year, and I'm going back there this autumn. Seeing castles and armours in museums is a good inspiration, even though Osprey's books works just as well! :D Being interested in Takeda, have you checked their book on Kawanakajima? It's quite nice.

Regarding colour scheme, I'm really torn between a "realistic" samurai army and a "table top" army with a proper colour scheme. The first one would probably be much less cohesive, but it would allow myself to put many of the generals from Sekigahara on the table, since Perry miniatures have several of them made. However, it would be more of an explosion of colour like Bretonnia, and I have yet to see if it works out well, since I'm still on my first samurai, trying to figure out whether black primer (my usual method) it better than white primer for them, since I'm having a hard time getting all the details to show. Those Perry do are so tricky to paint! The ashigaru will probably be easier, as they will allow me to paint them in uniform colour, either I'll go with only ashigaru from one general for a complete uniform look (all red, like Mephistofeles, looks great), or I'll make them from several attending lords. Hopefully the flags will make it more coherent, but I'm slightly afraid that they will end up like a big blob of paint from a distance. *sigh*

Wooo, I envy you lilljonas, for you have the chance to be in Japan for half a year. I've only have a chance to have a visit there with my wife (Honey moon;) ) for 2 weeks. But still I went to Osaka, Keyoto and Nagoya (spell?) and visit the castle and museums there too. Great experience, you see those nice katana there....... *off topic*

*Three hours later* Well, back to the miniatures, I think they look great in a uniform colour, since it gives them a much more uniform look as the pictures of Mephistofeles had already demonstration that. You can give the general a bit different look though, e.g. their pants, and give then special patterns and it will look great.

For the book, I am not sure about the Kawanakajima books, but I got a bunch of oranged page books which describe different warlords of the feudal Japan. Great books.

By the way, I've started a "Perry-Models" thread in the painting forum now, were all can post their pictures of their own perry-works.

Thanks Mephistofeles. Really glad to see other people has the same enthusiasm towards the same models as myself, its been a great pleasure ;) Those Perry miniatures really looks great, aspecially in large number. Work on it and really love to see your whole army.:)

Mephistofeles
24-01-2007, 20:03
Ok folks, today I finished a unit of free company and two (yes, TWO) units of spearmen. pictures will probably not be up until sunday (since I'm going away for the week-end and have a gig tomorrow night).

lz7947
25-01-2007, 14:41
Hey, I`m Chinese. You army looks very nice, but I regret to say that your army is Japanese style. According to the Empire army style, I think the Cathay army may refer to the Ming Dynasty period of China history. You can find some references from Osprey series.

Mephistofeles
25-01-2007, 21:55
I know my army is japanese, since the models are models of japanese soldiers. I am however trying to make the models look more chinese, which I have thus far succeeded in since all my opponents have said "wtf, chinese?" when I have placed my army on the table.

The Cathayans of warhammer are however not any particular dynasty of china, but more a fantasy version of a lot of the dynasties. There are dragons, magic, warrior-monks á la Shaolin, monkey-archers from the djungles, jade-lions and lots more.

For the record, I already own Osprey books on ancient and medieval China, but if I was to historically correct than I would ruin the fantasy of warhammer...

Alathir
28-01-2007, 07:29
A Takeda based army would be better suited to Bretonnia methinks...

And Mephisto, you already know I am a fan of this project and, god(s) willing, I'd love to try and do one myself eventually.

Love all of it and it would be awesome to play against.

Mephistofeles
28-01-2007, 14:36
And Mephisto, you already know I am a fan of this project and, god(s) willing, I'd love to try and do one myself eventually.

Love all of it and it would be awesome to play against.

Hehe, thank you very much, I hope that more people feel like you, since I'm bringing this to a big tournament in May and hope people will like it and have fun playing against it :)

Voronwe[MQ]
28-01-2007, 14:44
Have you any plans to use the new Empire rocket battery as the basis for a Cathayan one?

Here is an excellent simple conversion of the battery itself: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66263

Voronwe

Anardakil
28-01-2007, 15:47
Really nice army. I'd love to play against them!
But why do you want to make japanese to look chinese? Why not make a Nippon army instead of a Cathayan?

lilljonas
28-01-2007, 16:51
Mephistofeles: I just ordered some of those pikemen today, and I noticed that you had the usual spears, not the pikes. Since all the pictures on the site seems to have Adcocks homemade (yet nice) pikes, I'm kinda curious how they will turn out. And since you can't order less than 80(!) at a time, I'll have plenty of those I guess... :D

lilljonas
28-01-2007, 16:53
A Takeda based army would be better suited to Bretonnia methinks...

I think it is pretty much down to what rules you want, too. Bretonnia has much more "high" rules with magical protections, chivalrous virtues, magical lances and such stuff. I don't really feel that it fits really well, but I think that depends on what you want to portrait. You can still field plenty of mounted units in Empire, and Takeda was in no way a clan that fought with cavalry alone.

Mephistofeles
28-01-2007, 20:29
;1251498']Have you any plans to use the new Empire rocket battery as the basis for a Cathayan one?

Here is an excellent simple conversion of the battery itself: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66263

Voronwe

I really wanted to include one, just because it just screamed "Cathay" when I first saw it, but to my disapointment GW made it suck so big time that I'd rather have a Mortar, for almost half the cost...

So no Rocket Battery for me, sadly :(

Mephistofeles
28-01-2007, 20:32
Really nice army. I'd love to play against them!
But why do you want to make japanese to look chinese? Why not make a Nippon army instead of a Cathayan?

Well, simply because Nippon is just a small island which is "japan" with a fantasy twist, while I feel Cathay is more in line with the warhammer world, and has been given some more thought by GW, and thus fits in better.

I also happen to think that China is in almost every aspect so much more interesting and "cool" as a historical nation than Japan is, so I wanted an army like that.

I will however include a unit of samurais from Nippon in the army, just for flavour :)

NornTyrant
29-01-2007, 02:02
I think it is pretty much down to what rules you want, too. Bretonnia has much more "high" rules with magical protections, chivalrous virtues, magical lances and such stuff. I don't really feel that it fits really well, but I think that depends on what you want to portrait. You can still field plenty of mounted units in Empire, and Takeda was in no way a clan that fought with cavalry alone.

Agreed with that one. Takeda is just another warlord. His army use more horse than guns, but basically followed the rules as other, which, IMHO, suits better in the Empire rule than the Brets ;)

Also historically, Takeda is a cunning warlord which follows the teaching of Sun Zi. Not very knighthood to me :D

Voronwe[MQ]
29-01-2007, 09:33
I really wanted to include one, just because it just screamed "Cathay" when I first saw it, but to my disapointment GW made it suck so big time that I'd rather have a Mortar, for almost half the cost...

So no Rocket Battery for me, sadly :(
It ain't actually that bad (I suppose you wants at least four or five rockets on the rack), and the detailing fits Cathay very well.

I suppose one part of the reason GW released it was that it'd buy them time before they've to release Warhammer Armies: Cathay, since this makes it much more viable to play Cathay with an Empire army list.

Voronwe

Mephistofeles
29-01-2007, 19:35
Oh I didn't mean the model sucks (I don't like it, but with some converting it could be awesome), what I meant was that it's terrible rules-wise, and even though I'm a very themed and fluffy kind of player, I like my army too be good as well...

Voronwe[MQ]
30-01-2007, 12:52
Alright, then you could buy it and convert it and repose it in a way that would convince one it's an ordnance rocket battery - using the mortar rules.

Voronwe

Mephistofeles
30-01-2007, 14:55
Yeah, that could be an idea, but then again, there are two things which speak against this:

1: I haven't got the points, I really want a horde, and I have already compromised that for the sake of fluff by including monks, nippon mercenaries and magicians, I can't go further down that path if I still want a horde.

2: I don't need the mortar games-wise, it's used to take out big heaps infantry, but seeing as how I will NEVER find myself outnumbered, I don't really need it.

lz7947
02-02-2007, 14:06
Sorry for my reading your log in haste, and giving a imprudent comment. I wish you will show us a amazing Cathay army someday.

Mephistofeles
02-02-2007, 17:51
Sorry for my reading your log in haste, and giving a imprudent comment. I wish you will show us a amazing Cathay army someday.

Hehe, thanks for that.

Wait a moment, you said that you were chinese right? From what part of China, and what's your native language?

lz7947
03-02-2007, 03:18
Hehe, thanks for that.

Wait a moment, you said that you were chinese right? From what part of China, and what's your native language?

I was born in southwest China. But I’m living in east China now. My native language is similar to the official one. There are so many native languages in my country, especially on the west and south border. What do you want exactly? Some Chinese characters? Or some pronunciations? Could you give me detailed hints? I will try my best to give you the answer.

Mephistofeles
04-02-2007, 20:06
I was born in southwest China. But I’m living in east China now. My native language is similar to the official one. There are so many native languages in my country, especially on the west and south border. What do you want exactly? Some Chinese characters? Or some pronunciations? Could you give me detailed hints? I will try my best to give you the answer.

Hehe, chinese characters I have, but my chinese grammar truly sucks big time, so what I was going to ask you for was how to say the following:

Zhaowang the Giantslayer, bearer of the Emperors Emblem

If it's not too much trouble, you would make me a very happy man ^^

lz7947
05-02-2007, 08:52
At first, there is something that I should make clear. Zhaowang may be a commander of your army. I think Zhao is his surname, and I translate his name to 趙王. 趙 once was a royal name of Song Dynasty in Chinese history, and 王 means king or nobleman. Because this game has a fantasy background, I translate these sentences with traditional style. The translate result is:

皇帝象徵執掌者,巨人殺手趙王也

I’m very happy to do a litter insignificant work for you, and more requests are welcome.

Mephistofeles
05-02-2007, 10:19
Zhaowang is not the general of the army, he is however the bearer of the armies standard, and his name is indeed taken from an emperor of the Song Dynasty in China.

I would be very happy if you could help me with the rest of the names for the army, and if you could help me by writing the pronounciation of them, as I am not in any way skilled in reading chinese. The sentence you have written above, how would you write that out in terms of "our" letters, i.e. how would it be pronounced, and what does it literarily mean?

Voronwe[MQ]
05-02-2007, 11:08
Any chance of an update?

Voronwe

Mephistofeles
05-02-2007, 11:46
I have just finished two units, meaning that I only have the greatswords with detachment and the flagellants left, and the greatswords with detach are ordered and should arrive today!

I will try and get pictures of the whole army as it stands now, which includes:

2 cannons
4 units of spearmen
2 units of handgunners
4 units of free company

I will try to take pictures today, but I am not sure, maybe tomorrow.

Mephistofeles
05-02-2007, 17:57
I have now gotten pictures, I will try and upload them tonight!

One of the cannons aren't on them, it's just one of them and the crew for both, but it will have to do for now.

Also, there are no close-ups of anything, that will come on wednesday I hope.

lilljonas
05-02-2007, 18:55
You used the empire cannons? No conversions? I'm thinking about how to make cannons myself, one or two. There's a great looking cannon protected from rain in Ospreys "ashigaru 1467-1649", but I have no idea which model to use. As you mentioned, the perry cannon is a bit too tiny and not that tempting.

Mephistofeles
06-02-2007, 14:59
Yes I used the Empire cannons without any conversion, I felt it looked good and worked well both to give it a cathayan feel and to give it a more warhammer-esque look.

I have pictures of the army now (only the flaggies and greatswords missing) but my computer had problems uploading yesterday, so I'll try again tonight!

lz7947
06-02-2007, 15:33
Zhaowang is not the general of the army, he is however the bearer of the armies standard, and his name is indeed taken from an emperor of the Song Dynasty in China.

I would be very happy if you could help me with the rest of the names for the army, and if you could help me by writing the pronounciation of them, as I am not in any way skilled in reading chinese. The sentence you have written above, how would you write that out in terms of "our" letters, i.e. how would it be pronounced, and what does it literarily mean?

Could you give me a list of your men`s names?

lilljonas
06-02-2007, 15:41
Yes I used the Empire cannons without any conversion, I felt it looked good and worked well both to give it a cathayan feel and to give it a more warhammer-esque look.

It would be nice to see how it turned out. Perry's is too puny, foundry has no samurai at the moment and Dixon's samurai, why very cute and nice.... well, a friend saw one and compared them to ewoks, which is not completely unfounded. So I'm stuck between using the empire one or scratch-build, and I haven't built something as big as a cannon before. Hm....

Mephistofeles
06-02-2007, 18:31
Could you give me a list of your men`s names?

Ok, here goes, first the names of the characters:

Taizu, the Emerald Dream

Zhaowang, Bearer of the Emperors Emblem

Taiping, the Golden Star

And then the names of the units:

The Tigers
The Lion
The Vipers
The Eagles
The Brotherhood of the Crescent Moon
The Golden Legion

And the Cannons:

The Dragons Breath
The Dragons Thunder

Arhalien
06-02-2007, 18:56
Umm, Mephistofoles, it's not working...

lilljonas
06-02-2007, 18:57
The link only brings me to the page asking you to log-in. :(

Mephistofeles
06-02-2007, 19:53
Okey, I'll try this then, hope it works:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/Mephistofeles_album/IMG_3572.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/Mephistofeles_album/IMG_3578.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/Mephistofeles_album/IMG_3579.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/Mephistofeles_album/IMG_3581.jpg

Arhalien
06-02-2007, 19:59
WOO!! Update! Haven;t been following this recently (too muich delving into theory for me :D), but it;s ncie to see some more pictures.

I'll reiterate what I;ve already said Mephistofoles; that army is ridiculously big!

Looking good though :D

lilljonas
06-02-2007, 20:04
Looking good! Do you have any pictures of the cannons from more angles? And are you planning something special for characters?

Mephistofeles
06-02-2007, 20:07
I will take pictures of both cannons tomorrow, including close-ups and the like (they and the free company are my babies!).

I am planning something special for characters yes, the general "Taizu, the Emerald Dream" will be a conversion from one of the new Eldar farseers, the BSB Zhaowang will be a perry mounted ikko ikki holding a huge banner instead of a spear and the level 2 mage which will most likely be included (Taiping) I have no idea for yet, any ideas?

Arhalien
06-02-2007, 20:09
For the second mage you clould try that Mordheim Elf mage with Fu Manchu as was suggested to you in another thread. For those who ahven;t seen it it's on the US GW brettonian page in the Cathayan army there. Looks really good with an oriental style paint scheme :)

lilljonas
06-02-2007, 20:13
Looking forward to those pictures. :)

For a mage, perry has some non-warrior monks among their civilians, like that creepy flute-player with the all-covering hat. Not very cost effective if you just use one from the pack, but could be useful if you are aiming for some scenery or a baggage train for your army.

Boss_Salvage
06-02-2007, 21:03
Pictures!! Been waiting for these for a while, good to see proof of your prolific progress ;);)

The army is looking nice and big - you about half way then? Love the big unit standards, and just solid work in general.

- Salvage

lilljonas
06-02-2007, 21:22
Approximately how many points have you painted? It's definately a horde all right...

Mephistofeles
06-02-2007, 22:12
Lilljonas: Oh by damn, you just revived a part of my brain long since dead! The white monk in the civilians set was the model I intended to use for a mage in this army back when it all started, and I think I still want to. The creepy flute player is also a great alternative, we'll see which of them I end up with.

And on the points, I have painted all but the two most expensive units and characters, which means that the current army is about 1200 points (and over 180 models!), but the remaining 1000 points are flaggies, greatswords, swordsmen and characters, so it will go quickly.

Boss_Salvage: Hehe, thank you very much, and in fact I'm more than half way, it's "only" 58 models left to paint now, and then it's all done, all 245 of 'em!

mrtn
06-02-2007, 22:43
Oh, pretty pictures!

*mrtn get's distracted by a ball of twine*

lilljonas
06-02-2007, 22:49
Lilljonas: Oh by damn, you just revived a part of my brain long since dead!

In creepy, biblical voice:

It... is... alive!

Anyhow, 1 200 points? Ouch. I'm hopefully getting my next regiment any day now, but I have soooo long to go. I might ending up with more cavalry than planned, just to keep the miniature count on a realistic level.

Mephistofeles
07-02-2007, 20:04
Anyhow, 1 200 points? Ouch. I'm hopefully getting my next regiment any day now, but I have soooo long to go. I might ending up with more cavalry than planned, just to keep the miniature count on a realistic level.

1200 points sounds like I'm having almost half of the army left, but I really only have two units and the three characters, so I should be done before March, hopefuly.

I now have pictures of the cannons, from different angles, and will post later tonight!

Arhalien
07-02-2007, 20:06
What models will you use as swordsmen Mephistofoles?

Mephistofeles
07-02-2007, 20:52
I will use the perry samurai with swords, but I will make them hold shields in their off hand. In the case of samurai holding their swords twohanded, I will strap the shields to their backs.

These are the models, from the website:

http://www.perry-miniatures.com/images/sam/SAM%2025.jpg

http://www.perry-miniatures.com/images/sam/SAM%2024.jpg

I know that it is not historicaly correct to arm samurai with shields, which is exactly why I do it, I'm trying to get this army more geared towards warhammer Cathay and less geared towards medieval china/japan.

This is also why both the detachment and the parent unit will have golden armour...

lilljonas
07-02-2007, 21:01
Should work. I'm bumping mine up towards greatswords, I think, so I'll be barred from swordsmen (or any shields) in my army. So much for min-maxing, I guess.

I'm looking forward to those golden armours, they should grasp the attention pretty well in that ocean of red you've created. :)

Arhalien
07-02-2007, 21:10
Looking forward to seeing those Mephistofoles, they are very nice models :)

What shiedls are you using btw?

Mephistofeles
07-02-2007, 21:35
I will make my own shields, somewhat like the fifth edition Lizardmen Saurus ones, but without the totem-images and with chinese characters instead, I'm leaning towards the sign for Strenght or the one for Devotion, not sure, but since they are bodyguards I think that Devotion will be the best.

Here comes the pics of the cannons by the way!

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/Mephistofeles_album/6.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/Mephistofeles_album/5.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/Mephistofeles_album/4.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/Mephistofeles_album/3.jpg

mrtn
07-02-2007, 22:23
The cannon looks very nice! :)

It sounds weird to use the samurai as swordsmen if you're gonna use unarmored guys as greatswords. :s

lz7947
08-02-2007, 09:53
Here come the translations.

Taizu, the Emerald Dream
太祖,翡翠之夢
趙王,帝王象徵執掌者
Taiping, the Golden Star
太平,金星

The Tigers

The Lion

The Vipers

The Eagles

新月兄弟會
The Golden Legion
金色軍團

The Dragons Breath
龍息
The Dragons Thunder
龍霆

Sorry for I don't know how to give you the pronunciation of these words in your language.

Vattendroppe
08-02-2007, 18:03
Maybe you can record it and send it to him? Just a thought...

Mephistofeles
08-02-2007, 20:43
The cannon looks very nice! :)

It sounds weird to use the samurai as swordsmen if you're gonna use unarmored guys as greatswords. :s

Oh, sorry if I have not written this, but the samurai will be used both as greatswords and swordsmen (since a detachment is supposed to be members of the same unit armed differently). The difference will be that the greatswords will have naginatas, whilst the swordsmen will have swords and shields...

Mephistofeles
08-02-2007, 20:45
Here come the translations.

Taizu, the Emerald Dream
太祖,翡翠之夢
趙王,帝王象徵執掌者
Taiping, the Golden Star
太平,金星

The Tigers

The Lion

The Vipers

The Eagles

新月兄弟會
The Golden Legion
金色軍團

The Dragons Breath
龍息
The Dragons Thunder
龍霆

Sorry for I don't know how to give you the pronunciation of these words in your language.

Thank you very much for the translations!

If you can, you can just write how you say it in chinese, not neccesarily in correct english or anything, just the way it sounds?

Like 趙王 is written like Zhaowang, simply because that's the way it sounds?

lz7947
14-02-2007, 08:23
Sorry for delay.Here come the pronunciations:

Taizu, the Emerald Dream
太 祖 ,翡 翠 之 夢
Tai Zhou, fear tree de men

趙 王 ,帝 王 象 徵 執 掌 者
Zhou won, de won sang gang k Than Zhou

Taiping, the Golden Star
太 平,金 星
Tai pin, Jim Sin

The Tigers

who

The Lion

see

The Vipers

sea

The Eagles

Yang

新 月 兄 弟 會
Sin you sang de hall

The Golden Legion
金 色 軍 團
Jim sin June tan

The Dragons Breath
龍 息
Long sin

The Dragons Thunder
龍 霆
Long ting

Mephistofeles
14-02-2007, 18:50
Oh my sweet celestial Emperor I don't know how to thank you for this, if I was just slightly less heterosexual I would kiss you!

Thank you so incredibly much, Thank you ,thank you, thank you!

Mephistofeles
16-02-2007, 20:00
Just so that you guys don't think that I've taken a break or something, I just wanted to update this log by saying that I have now finished half the greatswords unit, and the other half will be finished next week, probably around wednesday, and with some luck the detachment will also be finished next week (I don't have school next week, which means I can work on the army, wohoo!)

kruzkal
04-03-2007, 03:13
Loving your work and what you have done with the models. Looks very neat indeed.

Please take the my following comments as well intended advice rather than pissing on your parade. A couple of points about the Chinese translations:

Taizu, the Emerald Dream
太 祖, 翡 翠 之 夢

太祖 is a the title meaning the first emperor of a dynasty. It is not name. For instance 明太祖朱元璋, 明 (Ming Dynasty) 太祖 (First Emperor) 朱元璋 (Zhu Yuanzhang), translates to Zhu Yuanzhang, the First Emperor of Ming. At the moment you have two titles but no name: First Emperor, the Emerald Dream.

趙 王, 帝 王 象 徵 執 掌 者

Similarly 趙 is only a surname and 王 is a title. 趙 is one of the most common surnames in China, so effectively you have two titles and a very common surname for this character. A bit like calling him "Lord Williams, Bearer of the Emperor's Emblem".

To be honest, I think you should keep your army Japanese. From how your models look there is no conceivable way you could pass them off as Chinese. The weapons, helms, armours, flagpoles, all the way down to the style of the peasants' clothings are all distinctively Japanese. It is not a good idea for your fluff to rely on the ignorance of your opponents.

However, Japanese names are usually written in kanji (characters of Chinese origin), which means the transition should be rather simple:

Taizu, the Emerald Dream
Taizu, 翡翠の夢

Zhaowang, Bearer of the Emperor's Emblem
Zhaowang, 天皇紋章の看守者

Taiping, the Golden Star
Taiping, 金の星

The Tigers

The Lions

The Vipers

The Eagles

三日月の兄弟団

The Golden Legion
金の軍団

The Dragon's Breath
竜の火

The Dragons Thunder
竜の雷

Note that I am not actually Japanese. Only someone who has spent years playing Japanese computer games lol... So do correct me if I am wrong.

lilljonas
04-03-2007, 08:40
Nah, that's the point: they're not chinese, they're Cathayan, which leaves a lot of wiggle space.

kruzkal
04-03-2007, 11:35
They are not technically Chinese. I hear you. However, my point is that consistency makes a stronger theme. If you look like a race, then it would probably be a good idea to use their language too. If you look Chinese, use Chinese. If you look Japanese, use Japanese. If you look Korean, use Korean. If you look like you have drawn inspirations from a mix and match, use whatever. Looking 100% one but using the language of another just felt a little odd to me personally. Maybe I am just a bit pedantic. But I am only trying to be constructive.

If your heart is on China then I would highly recommend that you consider the weapons, armours and clothings of the Ming Dynasty. It is within the same time frame of which Empire is supposed to have been set upon (the Holy Roman Empire in the Renaissance period). It matches the introduction of gunpowder to firearms. The 18 Weapons of China (you might know if you are a martial arts fan) were standardised in that period. Not to mention that Ming was arguably the most prosperous period in the history of China. A quick look at Google found me this link (http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4254&PN=1) of armours from varies periods of China.

Anyhow, keep up the good work.

lilljonas
04-03-2007, 13:01
With the complete lack of imagery from GW, I'd say that you are as free to make your nipponese as chinese (or korean, or indian, or burmese, or...) as you want, and vice versa. I'm doing my force like you propose: I stay as strict to the historical date and location I've picked, and could just as easily whip it out as for a historical recreational battle. However, on the other hand I have just as much respect for the choice to go the different route, which is actually more GW, and make an amalgamation of languages, time periods and geography to make it a whole that you are satisfied with. This gives the player the opportunity to pick the pieces he or she likes the most, and I don't see any more of a problem with cathayans with japanese swords using Chinese names than I see with Bretonnia having a Robin Hood character speaking French.

kruzkal
04-03-2007, 13:50
The very word Nippon in the dictionary is defined as Japan. Cathay was actually the name given to northern China in the 14th century by Marco Polo. Fluff wise they are pretty much set in stone to that respect. I mean having one or two characters who has obtained a weapon from afar is very much different to an entire army of Chinese men covered head to toe in Japanese gear. However, I do think it is fine so long as his army specific fluff covers the origin of the Nipponese equipment rather than simply passing them off as Cathayans.

Vattendroppe
04-03-2007, 14:06
But this still is warhammer, we know that gw steals names and such things from reality. We also know that habitantas of the empire doesn't speak italian, nor german. Brets doesn't speak french as far as I know and chaos/norse doesn't speak scandinavian. This army isn't thought to be a realistic army, this is a warhammer army. Warhammer isn't the real worl ;)

lilljonas
04-03-2007, 14:12
The very word Nippon in the dictionary is defined as Japan. Cathay was actually the name given to northern China in the 14th century by Marco Polo. Fluff wise they are pretty much set in stone to that respect. I mean having one or two characters who has obtained a weapon from afar is very much different to an entire army of Chinese men covered head to toe in Japanese gear. However, I do think it is fine so long as his army specific fluff covers the origin of the Nipponese equipment rather than simply passing them off as Cathayans.

Nah, the fault is to assume a correlation between real world history and WHFB. And no, names doesn't necessarily translate: Albion in WH is not Albion in RL: it has similarities, and it has differences. There are several towns that have had the name of Marienburg, yet the Marienburg of WH is different. Whether such a correlation exists or not, especially in areas not properly covered by GW, and in which ways existing correlation works, is purely up to the gamers. Thats why the statement of "It's called Nippon, so it must be Japan! It's called Cathay, so it must be Marco Polo era China!" could either be very true or not true at all. But it's definately not a necessity.

After all Nippon, in the few instances I've seen the political situation mentioned in fluff, is sometimes described as a sort of vassal state to Cathay, something that is definately not comparable to RL history (unless you do something daft like a Asuka or Nara period army, and good luck with finding proper models...), and a fact that could greatly affect the mix of the different cultures in the WHFB world. For example, the fanmade Cathayan army list published here on Warseer portraited the nipponese as a source of master weaponsmiths that served the greater armies of Cathay. Again, the definitions of Nippon and Cathay in WHFB is so loose that I wouldn't say that any representation is better or worse than any others, it's all about how they represent the mental image of that particular player. If you have a different mental image, you are free to make your own army. And us nipponese and cathayan generals should greet each single interpretation as just as true as the others, since we are all out in the vast and grey areas of undocumented WH culture.

Memphistofeles: sorry for us hijacking your thread, you are free to boot us (at least me!) out if you feel like it.

kruzkal
04-03-2007, 14:43
I understand that completely. Don't get me wrong, I am not against drawing inspirations from varies cultures. I don't see a problem with merging the Chinese with Japanese cultures. I am merely stating that at the current state the army looks 100% Japanese 0% Chinese where Cathayans are supposed to be somewhat Chinese and the only thing Chinese like in the army are the names.

lilljonas
04-03-2007, 14:53
Well, being an avid reader of everything that has to do with japanese history, I find many things that are clearly not japanese and more chinese, such as the heraldry (or rather the lack of) and the army composition. I see what you mean though, even if I don't agree 100%. Yes, there's more of a japanese touch to it than in most Cathayan armies I've seen. It will be interesting to see how the army develops when the extra flavour that are not rank-and-file troopers comes into play, I think it can add a lot of flavour. :)

kruzkal
04-03-2007, 15:05
Japanese - heraldry = Chinese? Be careful what you are saying there! And I failed to see how an army composts of Samurai Warriors could be more Chinese than Japanese :D

Vattendroppe
04-03-2007, 15:23
Japanese - heraldry = Chinese? Be careful what you are saying there! And I failed to see how an army composts of Samurai Warriors could be more Chinese than Japanese :D

You might want to read lilljonas' post again, I think you misunderstood some things :)

lilljonas
04-03-2007, 15:37

Er, no. I was referring mostly to the banners, which you spoke about earlier, and my mentioning of heraldry is that they are not done in a typical japanese way (with heraldry and geometrical patterns) but in colours that I find more often in chinese regalia (red and yellow) in a single, unpatterned painting scheme. When I look at those banners, I definately see more of a chinese vibe than a japanese, due to the colours and lack of heraldry or geographical pattern. I'm very careful with what I'm saying, are you careful with how you read it? ;) To me, the colour adds a lot of the Cathayan feel of the army, but if you want to just look at the sculpts, it's up to you.

EDIT: compare it to modern day China, where you are much, much more likely to see red and yellow/white coloured banners and signs, and modern day Japan, where I almost only see white banners and signs with black or red designs on them. While this is obviously affected by modern era symbols, it also rubs off in how we view historical (and especially imaginary) versions from said cultures.

EDIT2: and if you are still caught in the "more japanese than chinese =! possible Cathay" issue, then you clearly are stuck in the "RL =! WH" part of the discussion, and I can't help you any more with that one.

Mephistofeles
04-03-2007, 19:39
My only real excuse is what has already been said: This is Cathay, not China. I see Cathay as a nation with Chinas military organisation and cultural/political climate, but with heavy influences from Japan when it comes to mysticism, equipment and mindset. This is just my take on them.

That, and the fact that it's so DAMN hard to get hold of chinese models, foundry are the only semi-ok ones I've found, but the perry stuff is so much better!

Strelok
25-03-2007, 11:02
I apologize for the vicious case of threadomancy. buuuut, is the army done now? I'd love to see the final product, especially the characters. Also, your color schemes, as well as your use of dipping, are very well done!

Arhalien
25-03-2007, 11:04
Supporting threadnomancy; what's happened to the army!
As I'm a simple sort i've lost interest in this thread as it's turned into more of a fluff discussion; I want pics! :p

Sorry, minor fit over. How is the army going and what have you been working on recently? Looking forward to more pics :)

Vattendroppe
25-03-2007, 11:07
Supporting threadnomancy; what's happened to the army!
As I'm a simple sort i've lost interest in this thread as it's turned into more of a fluff discussion; I want pics! :p

Sorry, minor fit over. How is the army going and what have you been working on recently? Looking forward to more pics :)

I've wondered about that to, seems like it died away or something. I've also done some research, and of what I've heard he's sitting in a friends basement, watching movies and eating sandwiches all day long. This is unconfirmed information however.

Arhalien
25-03-2007, 11:10
I've wondered about that to, seems like it died away or something. I've also done some research, and of what I've heard he's sitting in a friends basement, watching movies and eating sandwiches all day long. This is unconfirmed information however.

Supported by who? Is it possible for you to reveal your sources or do they insist on remaining secret to allow them to continue their watching without interuption. Are you maybe planning to kill Mephistofoles! :eek:

I have to warn him!

:rolleyes:

Vattendroppe
25-03-2007, 11:16
Supported by who? Is it possible for you to reveal your sources or do they insist on remaining secret to allow them to continue their watching without interuption. Are you maybe planning to kill Mephistofoles! :eek:

I have to warn him!

:rolleyes:

I think I've heard this unconfirmed info from Haking, maybe Rasmus. I don't think it matters for you :p

But enough spamming now, we don't want to ruin this great log!

Intranetusa
12-04-2007, 01:35
My only real excuse is what has already been said: This is Cathay, not China. I see Cathay as a nation with Chinas military organisation and cultural/political climate, but with heavy influences from Japan when it comes to mysticism, equipment and mindset. This is just my take on them.

That, and the fact that it's so DAMN hard to get hold of chinese models, foundry are the only semi-ok ones I've found, but the perry stuff is so much better!

So Cathay is basically a conglamerate of East Asian nations?

Religion: Mahayana & Zen-Chan Buddhism from China, Daoism, Confucism, etc
Shintoism from Japan
Original/Thervada Buddhism from India

Millitary: Samurai (14th cent and later) from Japan
Millitary structure/organization from China
Bushido mind set from Japan

Special units such as Zen-monks of the shaolin temple, elite samurais, etc?

Anyways, some research should be done on wikipedia, so you don't end up with some retarded sterotypes of the cultures:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samurai#History

and what time period is this going to take place?

Mephistofeles
26-05-2007, 16:18
Hello there folks,

I am sorry that this log died down the way it did, but I have been kind of "away from the world" for the last couple of months, I logged on to Warseer today for the first time in two months...

Anyway, the army is doing good, I have about 10 Greatswords left to do and then the characters, which is the really fun part. I will try to get me some pictures of the army soon, and I hope to finish the rest in the coming weeks, we shall see.

And , concerning the research and the like which should be done, I will not do any research on samurai, I know enough already and I am in no way a japan-fanboy, so I will try to avoid that. I do not think that Samurai should be in a Cathayan army, they fit better in a nipponese one; I have included one regiment to serve as mercenary Ronin, hired as bodyguards for my general and his family.

PS: And regarding those fiendish rumours of me sitting in some friends basement eating sandwiches and watching movies, I can say the followin:

We do not eat sandwiches, we drink tea.
We do not watch movies, we listen to old LP:s of Bowie.
We do also play a lot of Trivial Pursuit and Scrabbles.

In other words: Yeah yeah, I know, I should get back to work :P

Arhalien
27-05-2007, 18:27
I agree wholeheartedly with that last statement, but would like to add something more to it; Show us some pictures! :p

Mephistofeles
30-05-2007, 08:41
Ok, I´ll try to take pictures of the whole shebang on thursday, hopefully...

Mephistofeles
13-06-2007, 00:44
Well...uhm...no pictures no, but they are coming!

Anybody have any good ideas for Cathayan BSB, Wizard Lord, Warrior Priest and level 2 Wizard? And please don't link me those god-awful american GW-website things again. I get sad just by looking at them.

Arhalien
13-06-2007, 12:34
Gribble gribble GRr..... :mad: :mad:

;)

Erm, cathayan bsb and wizard.... erm....

Didn;t I suggest something for the mounted BSB earlier?

Mephistofeles
10-07-2007, 14:28
I can't really remember actually, but maybe you did.

Damn it I really need to get my act together here, I haven't painted a single Cathayan in several months! *slaps self with cold tuna*

Arhalien
10-07-2007, 18:19
That banner motif should look nice.
edit: maybe the third mini along oin the mounted commanders page with a banner stuck on his spear for the bsb?
http://www.perry-miniatures.com/index2.html

Muhahah ;)

Hashut
14-01-2008, 07:52
Updates please?

Mephistofeles
08-02-2008, 09:49
Greetings Warseerers,

This army has had quite a long down-time for a while now, as has all my other gaming hobbies, but I am finally regaining interest in the game again (as I know I always do, I have been doing this for too long to be able to stop...). So, here is a little update, sorry, no pictures, but at least something.

I have finished everything with the army except for some Greatswords now, which I will hopefully finish quite soon. I have not finished the character yet either, but I now have a good idea about how I want them to look.

I have been planning to sell this army as well, but I have almost desired not to now (I really love my little soldier), so unless anyone gives me "an offer I can't refuse" then they will stay with me from here on.

So, basically, what I can tell you about the army is:

* Everything but the Greatswords and characters are finished.
* Only the Characters are left for me to buy, and convert.
* I will try to get them ready for an annual tournament held here in Sweden in April-May (Lincon).
* Any help/tips on how to make and convert my characters is welcome. Remember I use the Perry Miniatures Japanese range, and that the characters are a level 4 Wizard Lord/master strategist magician, a level 2 wizard and a Battle Standard Bearer.

Thanks all those who have watched this thread, and a special thank you to all of you who are still checking in on it from time to time.

*edit* I just saw that this thread has been moved to the historical projects forum, and I don't really see why. The army consists of historical models yes, but is in all ways a warhammer army, and it includes warhammer miniatures as well as perry-historical ones. Please move it back, pretty pretty please?

donuter
18-03-2008, 19:29
nice, really nice. any ideas on dragon cannons, the dwarf flame cannon head may help.

Mephistofeles
18-03-2008, 20:07
The cannons I have now are without dragonheads, and although I agree that it would be cool, I am satisfied with the cannons I have now.

LordGoatee
06-04-2008, 21:01
Hi again Mephistofeles
I haven't posted on Warseer in ages it seems, but now I'm 'back on track'
If you're still looking for stuff for the baggage train, Copplestone Castings do some 'Tibetan Baggage Train' and 'Baggage Yak' models.
Here's the link, scroll down to "Tibetans" and "Baggage" and you'll see 'em.
http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/range.php?range=BOB

Hopefully this helps, I think they fit with your army's character. An they're in scale, which is a plus. Well done on the army, as well. It's looking good.

Mephistofeles
06-04-2008, 22:45
Wow, that was infernally cool, and you actually gave me the inclination to finish this army up!

We will see when it is all ready, I sadly have no place to build or store anything right now, which is why it is postponed at the moment, but I will get round to it!

LordGoatee
10-04-2008, 11:05
Cool! Looking forward eagerly..

Balthar
26-06-2011, 12:57
I Like them a lot, only the're more Nippon than Cathay i think.
Cathay is the Warhammer equilavent of China, While Nippon is Japan's counterpart.

Anyhow, great army.