PDA

View Full Version : news for warhammer 40k dawn of war

Uriel
04-07-2005, 05:31
I was reading an article about an expansion pack in the dawn of war game, it's sweet, new features for all armies, and the impirial gaurd and a few other armies will be added. I can't find the article online, but I know it's coming out in a few months.

Galonthar
04-07-2005, 07:50
from what I`ve heard i only features the imperial guard as new (playable) race,... maybe the rest will be added like the imperial guard in the game (must have tyranids in DoW!!!!!)

Cypher
05-07-2005, 01:06
Ahem, rumour control here folks. This is pretty old news.

Dawn of War: Winter Assault will feature one new playable race, Imperial Guard, and one new unit for each of the four exisiting races (Fire Dragons, Mega-armoured Nobz, Khorne Berzerkers and a Chaplain).

Malen Kharn
05-07-2005, 08:46
They said in the initial press relese that there were 2 new units for each race, but they would only confirm one at this stage.

Ozorik
05-07-2005, 10:01
linkage (http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=56840)

This is the winter assault FAQ thread on the relic forums.

further linkage (http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=64646)

This page details the new units confirmed for Winter assault.

Frodo34x
05-07-2005, 18:07
I have an E3 video clip showing the new stuff for Winter Assualt. I think I got it from Cypher.

The basalisks are pretty sweet.

Uriel
05-07-2005, 23:39
basaliks...oh no!

anyways, yeah, it looks awesome. I hope it's priced reasonably because it's not adding that much to put a 50.00$ tag on it. 30.00$ is more than enough. They definatly need to put nids in there, along with some Which Hunters.

Cypher
06-07-2005, 05:32
Link (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2456)

Yup that was me who posted the E3 vid.

Ozorik
06-07-2005, 07:39
anyways, yeah, it looks awesome. I hope it's priced reasonably because it's not adding that much to put a 50.00$ tag on it. 30.00$ is more than enough. They definatly need to put nids in there, along with some Which Hunters.

Thge price depends on how much new content they include. Currently they are adding much more than your average expansion in the form of a whole new race in addition to the usual new units and campaign so I wouldnt mind paying 30 for it although it will almost certainly retail under that figure.

They definately dont need to put any other races in at the moment. They already have 5 diverse races of which 4 at least are well balanced. I cant think of another RTS that boasts more distinct races.

Adding more and more races simply unbalances the game. Each additional race needs exponetially more playtesting time.

Frodo34x
06-07-2005, 10:47
I would have thought the history of strategy games would teach us this. Starcraft, a game many would say is the best RTS ever, has only 3 races.

The pestilent 1
06-07-2005, 16:39
I would have thought the history of strategy games would teach us this. Starcraft, a game many would say is the best RTS ever, has only 3 races.

but is as balanced as my left foot.
Please note: my left foot is missing a large part.

besides which, Starcraft isnt nearly as good as people seem to insist, was personally attacked when i said that Dawn of war was better than it (far better graphics, gameplay, balance, etc etc)

shaw3029
06-07-2005, 16:44
The game should really have Nids, Just seeing thousands of them swarming over Imperial gaurd would be so cool!

The pestilent 1
07-07-2005, 00:22
thats what Mods are for.
theres a nid mod in production, coming along nicely far-as-i-can-see

The_Chaos_Seer
07-07-2005, 01:03
There's a race for pretty much every race, isn't there? I'm pretty sure I've seen models for Wychs, Gaunts, Grey Knights, Battle Sisters and Necrons. An let's not forget the His Righteous mod. I'd like to see what the modders can do before I play Winter Assault.

The pestilent 1
07-07-2005, 01:08
ummm, yeah pretty much.
yes. even those damned Sqauts :mad:

Ozorik
07-07-2005, 07:53

Its unbalanced? I never noticed any real unbalances, there were slight balance issues for example 6 pool zergling rushes but they were fairly minor.

Incidentally I dont agree with you on its quality. I have played it for far more hours than any other RTS over the years and while it has aged it is still a clissic in the RTS genre and certainly better than any C&C game you care to name.

Starcraft is 7 years old now so there is little point in comparing DoWs gfx and modern stripped down gameplay but I would definately argue the balance issue.

Samoth
07-07-2005, 12:34
I'd prefer zero hour to star craft any day, even despite the hacked generals, super weapons, auroras, and few crappy generals.

It's just more fun, ecspecially if you get people whp play for fun, use actual units, and dont just whore super weapons.

Ozorik
07-07-2005, 12:48
The standard game isnt that much fun IMO due to super weapons and the reliance on certain unit types, or at least generals isnt as I havent played zero hour. It is the best out of all the C&C games though.

The pestilent 1
07-07-2005, 14:53
Personally i hate generals, havent played it in a long time.
Balance is all well and good, but not when it sucks fun from the game.
maybe im just Biased that its not a real C&C.

and i havent played a game where ive not been all-but overwhelmed by Zealots/Zerglings/Whatever it is that Terrans rush with, maybe i just suck, but being overwhelmed time-and-time again by basic units within a few minutes of the game starting isnt my idea of fun.
hence why i dislike the orks aswell, ******* rushers.

Frodo34x
07-07-2005, 17:16
Personally i hate generals, havent played it in a long time.
Balance is all well and good, but not when it sucks fun from the game.
maybe im just Biased that its not a real C&C.
IMHO, Red Alert 2 is a truly great game, perhaps the best RTS I have played so far.

Ozorik
07-07-2005, 17:43
and i havent played a game where ive not been all-but overwhelmed by Zealots/Zerglings/Whatever it is that Terrans rush with, maybe i just suck, but being overwhelmed time-and-time again by basic units within a few minutes of the game starting isnt my idea of fun.

This may sound flamey but too be honest if you cant beat off most rushes then you do 'suck'. I love getting rushed as it basically hands you the game if you control it properly and your opponent isnt that good. A lot of rushers dont know what to do when there rush gets crushed and suddenly finds himself economically and technologically disadvantaged.

Uriel
08-07-2005, 01:32
Red Alert, was truely the best RTS IMO. I love the unlimited funding online, I use to build so many of those soviet tanks, ah, good ol days. I only like starcraft if it's a mod where you kill marines, other than that, not to sure about it. Has anyone noticed as graphics in rts get better, the gameplay isn't as fast? most rts's i play are slow. DoW was a bit faster then most, Ie : Generals. anyways, it's all good.

WLBjork
05-08-2005, 10:48
Just flicking through PCG, and the current version starts as IG then switches to Eldar - and that's the first mission!

Cade
06-08-2005, 15:36
I have also heard a rumour that Winter Assault will have up to THREE single-player campaigns, IG, Chaos and Eldar.

Dunno why the Orks don't get one, but after all this is only a rumour!

Chuffy
06-08-2005, 15:44
Please note: my left foot is missing a large part.

besides which, Starcraft isnt nearly as good as people seem to insist, was personally attacked when i said that Dawn of war was better than it (far better graphics, gameplay, balance, etc etc)

!!!

Starcraft is prehaps the most balanced RTS ever made!

Unlike DoW (Marines marines marines marines, or defilers and possessed and never use orks, they can never win).

blitz589
06-08-2005, 15:51
I have also heard a rumour that Winter Assault will have up to THREE single-player campaigns, IG, Chaos and Eldar.

Dunno why the Orks don't get one, but after all this is only a rumour!
Its 2 Campains, 1 for Imp Guard and Eldar with ultramarines in 1 mission, and the other is orks and chaos.