PDA

View Full Version : What to do exept runing at the enemy and waving a choppa.

Shadow-Under-Rock
09-11-2006, 19:30
Im new with orcs n gobbos and im wondering about the doīs and dontīs.
my regular opponet is an almost-gunline Empire army, and im wondering what i should do aganst this most enoying of foes?

Arhalien
09-11-2006, 19:53
Im new with orcs n gobbos and im wondering about the doīs and dontīs.
my regular opponet is an almost-gunline Empire army, and im wondering what i should do aganst this most enoying of foes?

Be glad you aren;t facing a dwarf gunline? I have yet to come up with a way to beat a gunline army. YOu could just run at them with squigs I suppose, adn scouts of some kind would be very useful.

Mephistofeles
09-11-2006, 19:55
Well, uhm...don't play him?

If that feels a bit to immature for you, then I would say take a lot of fast stuff, and a lot of skirmishers, and a lot of flyers...Uhm...looks like Orcs can't really do any of that very well...

Actually, I have no idea. How much shooting does he have exactly?

Voltaire
09-11-2006, 19:57
WYVERN!

*ahem*

I would go magic heavy if you are facing an Empire gunline. The Big Waagh list is very nasty. You would be able to pick apart the enemy characters etc quickly if you tooled the list properly.

eldrak
10-11-2006, 01:29
OnG has lots of stuff to counter a gunline.
You could take some giants/chariots to attract most of his missile fire but the key is to use lots of really fast wolf and spider riders. Use your advantage in number of units to overload one flank during setup.

Perhaps Skarsnik is an option to if you play with SC's.

Crazy Harborc
10-11-2006, 02:09
Flanks, flanks...use fast movers to go around the flanks. Spider riders with spears, shields, add shortbows. Wolf riders, add shortbows and spears..NO shields (they lose being fast cav. then;) ) Fast cav and the way it can "flow" while moving.

40 NGs (two units of them is better) with 3 fanatics(in each)...maybe with standard and musician. Aim them at his money units.

A Goblin Doom Diver (or two) can be nasty. Besides.....I LIKE the model (old one and new).

If money allows have extra units. Rotate units in and out of the army. Keep opponents guessing as to what they will see next time.

I like to use my Orc bows as meat shields for important HtH units.

So far, the new animosity chart is better than the old. I still like BO lords and or heros (because of the armed to the teeth), nevermind the "quelling".

devolutionary
10-11-2006, 02:21
An army of Wolf Scouts sounds like fun. Or, failing that, you can get something close to 500 Night Goblins in a 2000 point list. There is no way he can kill that many :D

Highborn
10-11-2006, 04:44
He doesn't have to - Night Goblins aren't exactly known for sticking around and fighting ;)

Reckoning06
10-11-2006, 05:23
first...make sure you set up any terrain. do not randomize it.
set up big terrain blocks and favor one side.

hope you get that side and the place all your models behind them at the beginning of the game.

from then on just chill for 6 turns. ;) guaranteed draw.

Shadow-Under-Rock
10-11-2006, 05:24
Well, uhm...don't play him?

If that feels a bit to immature for you, then I would say take a lot of fast stuff, and a lot of skirmishers, and a lot of flyers...Uhm...looks like Orcs can't really do any of that very well...

Actually, I have no idea. How much shooting does he have exactly?

I dont think i can do that he being my littlebrother and all (and one of two gamers i town that i know of)

But thanks everybody for your advise and your wisdoms.

Snotteef
10-11-2006, 14:45
Don't forget the new, very cheap Trolls. These things can soak up quite a bit of fire-power, but he can't really afford to ignore them. They move six, so he either ignores them and they wreak havoc on his line, or he wastes huge amounts of firepower trying to beat regeneration; just make sure you have something mounted providing leadership.

Crazy Harborc
10-11-2006, 19:29
IMHO, most Orc players aren't just after a win every game. The Orcs are an excuse to...well, running at the enemy and waving a choppa.:D

I break out my greenies when I am in the mood for what the title says.;) Orcs may spend time squabbling, gobbos run away too easily, gobbo shaman heads can explode, Orc Boarboyz cost too much (points wise). But, but, so??? Hey, it da boyz, green is well, the best:D

Alex
10-11-2006, 21:23
Totally off topic @ Arhalien:

Love your avatar. Jethro Tull are king. :)

boardbox
11-11-2006, 03:19
ye should be able to eat 'im alive, unless he manages a very large amount of guns and being able to shoot most of them

first stop fightin da 'umies on open fields. guns and horses wreak havoc on da plains. fight in da woods or hill so bullets and kannon balls hit trees instead'o da boyz. then gobbos, lotsa gobbos, jus give em a knife and push em in da right direction and if dey die who cares? they're fodder. them wolf boyz and spiders are fast and gunnas don't take flank charges too well. have the shamans blast away at 'em from inside units. send chariots at em too, dem 'umies don't like boars for some reason. lastly get da boyz in combat, lots of boyz in combat. dey should be tough enough the weather the da shootin and fielded in numbers them humies won't kill enough before dey hit the line. then it's time for lunch.

don't forget da roasting stakes

nightcrawler
13-11-2006, 11:45
Goblin wolf riders are the key to killing off an EMPIRE gunline. I have to yell empire because it isn't as effective against dwarves. Put your wolf riders in units of 5 with spears and musicians (I wouldn't bother with champs) stick them on your flanks (in 2k go with 3 units per flank so 6 units overall) then charge his guns as fast as you can. priority goes with warmachines, specifically the helblaster and any mortars but any shooter will do.

Don't be overly concirned about killing his units in the first round. You will tipically route about 50percent of the units you charge into. Its not important to kill them off, just to hold them in combat while your real units get across the field. Also, when your wolf riders break from combat your opponent has 2 choices. Chase them (thus bring his shooters closer to your units) or let them go (giving you a small chance of getting a wolf rider unit back later in the game. hence the musicians)

Anyway, thats what seems to work for me. I'll say one other thing, I'd avoid silly things like giants. They tend to die very quickly...

and sorry about the spelling, i'm in a hurry

Arhalien
13-11-2006, 12:13
Totally off topic @ Arhalien:

Love your avatar. Jethro Tull are king. :)

Sorry about the off-topic, but scouts (if orcs have them) are always useful against artillery. Also I presume cavalry would be useful, charging on teh second or third turn will be very helpful to avoid taking too many casualties. However, the only experience I have had of gunlines is a dwarf one, but I presume the same things are needed against both.

And about my mention in the first post of being unable to beat a gunline army; things have changed since i posted them, as I came very close on saturday.

Crazy Harborc
13-11-2006, 20:44
I still am using Orc Arrer Boyz units as meat shields in front of my Orc HtH units. I've found a unit of 30 or more NGs with bows (and 3 fanatics) can get across the field to shoot bows and launch fanatics. (Remember if fanatics touch a war machine crew member, not the machine-hehehe....Aim well)

davidvonhauser
16-11-2006, 11:28
The only scout orcs and goblin's have is maad's map...

he he he.

Lord Of The Night
16-11-2006, 15:45
don't forget spiders, they aren't as fast as wolfs but can go right thru terrain no problems

Zethal
18-11-2006, 18:59
As people have mentioned, The core fast cav is always a great option. It will force the gunline to kill them before he starts working on your blocks. Another great option for this would be the wolf chariots, 27" in turn 2 should get you to your opponent.

If you have blorcks or just big orc units that will move forward with the waaagh i suggest you use it early. Try to shorten the gap between the armies, saving it and relying on it to charge is just to unreilable. Shorten the gap get your units as close as possible as quickly as they can.