PDA

View Full Version : How can people actually decide what army to collect?

Ziljin
10-11-2006, 00:49
All the armies look so awesome, except Dark Eldar. :P Well I like the Dark Eldar Warriors and Scourges but thats about it.

And I keep on looking through the many IG variants, gah so many cool looking minis.

Gen.Steiner
10-11-2006, 00:54
With great difficulty.

I settled on the Imperial Guard because they've got a lot of variety, and the fact that they're humans in a universe of monsters (and some of the monsters are in command...).

Join the Guard, Ziljin, and you'll never have to get another army ever again! :D

Ziljin
10-11-2006, 01:12
Well I definitely want cadians and orks. Maybe some catachans, the metal ranges look great, but the Vostroyan ones are the only ones that are affordable.

Heretic12
10-11-2006, 01:13
When I first started it was with squandered lunch money and birthday cash so I wanted to get the most for my money. Unwittingly I took orks, as they came with 16 models in a box, at that time I didnt know that the more models that came in a box generally meant the lower cost the model was in game. But after buying a few boxes of boys and acouple Ebay deals I found myself with my first ork army. After that I went Tau then Chaos and Im back to orks witha 3k force and counting.

Kromando33
10-11-2006, 01:37
Well I have to admit when I decided I wanted to collect 40k, I didnt have the slightest clue as to the rules and units, so I picked chaos because they looked so cool, and even when I did read the rules I liked them more just because of their customisability and the like. I did swing alot between Daemonhunters and Necrons though. Indeed it is extremely hard to actually choose an army and I went on for weeks without choosing, the best way is just to go straight out their and buy some models, then you have committed yourself not only to one army but to the hobby itself.

onnotangu
10-11-2006, 01:58
most of us can't and those with too much time and money o our hands eventually play some of everything till we settle on one favorite.

I know I like Tyranids best of all but Nurgle is near and dear to my colon.

BodhiTree
10-11-2006, 02:01
I have changed my mind on my first 4th ed. army 4 times. The other 3 are now side projects, and a lot of them are partly collected.

max the dog
10-11-2006, 02:22
I watch Alien too much because I have a thing for Sigorney Weaver and always will so Tyranids were a natural army to collect for me. 3000+pts later I wanted to set them out on display and needed an army to oppose them against so Ultramarines were next. 2000+pts later I'm starting an Lyanden Eldar army to add to the scene.

kman77775
10-11-2006, 02:33
When i start an army i always find what models i like and how fun the army is by asking other people. Its all about having fun.:D

Gop
10-11-2006, 02:37
The short answer is... you can't. Most people collect more than 1 army, or 1 army that has lots of variation like IG. In fact, IG is probably the way to go if you only want 1 army because it's so flexible.

ss_cherubael
10-11-2006, 02:37
in answer to ur question, we cant. Most people who play warhammer go from army to army through out their lives, its not until we decided to give the hobby away that we might settle on one army in our collection that we want to keep and then might use it every now and again.

Look at all the threads going around with topics such as "ive been bitten by the army bug!" or "i cant choose what armt to do next!". This is one of the best things about warhammer you are not forced to stay with one army for ever and you can chop and change at will for any reason. Some people play their armies because they like the rules, or the backround, or the minis or because they have had successs with them in the past.
Take me for example i play marines for years, then i started to play guard and im still playing guard today due to the amount of variety in a guard army you can continue to play guard through 10 or 12 different armies that are different enough to keep it interesting but while at the core you still have guards men and tanks galore!

NeonDante
10-11-2006, 03:00
Are you having trouble choosing which army to use? If so which ones are you considering?

For me, I started off wanting to play space marines, cause they are teh uber, you know, a young lad thinking that they are the best army. But my friend, who was also starting decided to play them, so I chose the orks instead. I'm so glad I did, as I love the ork fluff, and the reason they fight. They aren't fighting to defend their homes, or to gain power, or to cause pain or anything like that... they are fighting because they love a brawl, plain and simple.

So I say the way to pick an army is to choose the one that feels right. Read their fluff, check out the models, and don't worry about the rules. (except their general style of play.) I hope that's helpful to you.

Gensuke626
10-11-2006, 03:11
I asked my friends to help me choose, I got led down the Path of the Eldar....but I was a weak Eldar player...My mind turned to the Swarms of the Tyranids around the time of the 3rd war for Armageddon. I loved my Tyranids, but I grew bored of playing them...my army had gone from being the frightening machine it was when I started, and became predicatable enough for my opponents to defeat me. It was about this time that Codex :Chaos Marines was revised...and I was drawn to nightlords...but I wasn't very good at playing Night Lords, and my Champion, 'Gensuke Chaosbringer' was killed during the eye of terror. My Nightlords live on in the form of a Kill Team, but I no longer field the majority of them...I went back to nids, but I feel like their flavor changed when they hit 4th ed....and that brings us to my current army.

Orks! Generally...How I choose armys, I go with what I think is cool, and if I enjoy playing them I keep adding to them...

My advice is if you don't know what you want to play, put together a combat partrol for the army you think is coolest and play a combat patrol...go from there

devolutionary
10-11-2006, 03:40
Lessee... if I was to offer you one model of each army to have (basic infantry) what would you instictively pick? Now go with that gut feeling :)

Ziljin
10-11-2006, 03:50
Uh all of them lol. I wouldn't be able to choose.

devolutionary
10-11-2006, 03:51
Sounds like you need a D10 :p

Seth the Dark
10-11-2006, 03:58
Yea I have a tough time since I start to collect an army and then move onto something else...

sephiroth87
10-11-2006, 04:12
I chose Chaos because I wanted the models with the biggest, horniest helmets.

It was an inferiority complex thing, I think...

Psycho_Laughs
10-11-2006, 04:31
some armies hold appeal to me for short periods of time. i've never been fully drawn to loyalist marine armies, and even though the new eldar stuff is fantastic i doubt i'll bring myself to buying more than 1000 pts of it.
as it stands my first love is guard, having a cadian army, with both a storm blade and a thunderbolt heavy fighter, standing at a respectable 2500.
my vostroyan army stands at 1800pts.
i also have 1850pts of word bearers, 1500pts of tau, and soon 1700pts of witch hunters.
i've been tempted to order a tanith army, but there are only 4 model variants for the army... too bad, as their rules are sweet.

Brother Antonios
10-11-2006, 04:39
As has already been said Combat Patrol forces are imho the best way to find out. You can buy 3-4 different CP armies and will be able to easily sell the forces from a CP if you don't want to keep them. Plus if you keep 2 you will always have enough to give to a friend for a quick match.

fwacho
10-11-2006, 08:28
i statred with spcae marines fro pure reason they were cheap and easy to paint.

I treid Dark eldar next ... that was a no go.

I read the rules to teh eldar codex and said, " wow, speed." and so I collected a basic force that later held ulhwe and aliatoc varients (i sold my ulthwe list casue I needed alot of cash) I'm now slowly buying it back. (that's how you know you have a favorite army)

I pinat a BA army for a friend to compatet agaisnt. (not my thing)

then I got into IG. why... I'm a lousy roller. I need a lot of rolls so I can even hope to hit a statistical average. also I don;t depend on making saves. real handy that. these guys are my tourney army

moved on to Necrons cause I wantd somethign simple to apint (and did a complex job, stupid me) I liked this army mobile but not fast, not all that complicated. sold em.

Orks came next... I love converting. If you like converting and painting orks are for you. i use some 45 grots (they only 20 minutes each to paint nice). havne't won a game yet but hanve't played that many with em.

left the game for awhile and came back with the Tau. (I;m a good guy and love their look, i would also rather shoot my opponent, than hit him over the head.)

Usually I just roll to se what army I'll use to keep my opponents honest.

best way to decide....
borrow a few codexes/ read over them / make soem sample army lists/ do a pretend setup on a sheet of paper/ if you like the feel of one then go with it.

jubilex
10-11-2006, 11:43
I'm not sure if you are asking for advice or just posing a question, so all I can do is tell my story.
About 10 years ago I was a dedicated roleplayer and in those times, wd carried roleplaying material. When they moved away from that and toward wfb/40k I stopped buying the mag. But while bored/needing something to read on the loo I dug out an old copy. I think it was 177. The first aspect warrior fluff and list. That was it, I weigh about 4500 points now (I need to diet). So for me, it's fluff and the feel of an army that gets you. Imo read what you can and hopefully the muse will strike and you're done.

Kriegsherr
10-11-2006, 11:49
start reading the background, look at the minis....

Soon there will an army that just seems to attract you more than others....

Okay, in the case of chaos its more the background and my personal conversions than the actual chaos minis, but in the case of the orks its both the Background and the minis. As in the case of the sororitas...

Jesse Custer
10-11-2006, 12:22
The universe is the first thing that talks to me in the first place.
Then I'm goin for the miniatures themselves (the army).
I then choose which style of play I'm going to have.

The trick for me is discipline. I choose an objective and I try as hard as possible to reach this objective even if like a lot of us I'm attracted all the time to new armies, new conversion ideas, etc...
having this objective in mind is the only way I can manage to paint and finish an army.

Ziljin
10-11-2006, 18:06
I guess I wasn't clear in my topic title, but it was meant as a question to others. But I liked reading the posts.

stonefox
10-11-2006, 19:58
If you like the look and gameplay of several armies, you could always research their tournament viability and pick the best one.

Captain Micha
10-11-2006, 20:02
Easy. there are 4 methods I find to be nice
1 buy a bunch of codexes read the stories (not the army themselves...)
and decide which one you liked the best.
2. Buy one squad of each that you think you might like (again you need the codexes.) and play some kill team games.
3. The old fashioned method of seeing a mini that you like and deciding that should be your army.
4. Picking up whatever armies your friends don't care about.

chaos0xomega
10-11-2006, 21:34
Who said anything about deciding on one army? I'm doing all of them! Seriously...

I chose Tau, and I was like, Tau are cool, but Necrons are cool too. Then I was like, AC, WOOT!, then ELYSIANS WOOT! and so on and so forth.

Mojaco
10-11-2006, 22:27
I have no dificulty focussing on one army at a time at all. I've got multiple armies, yes, but that's just because you can't expect interest to last over a year or so. So I project-hop a lot.

Right now eldar, then probably orks or Dark Angels, then guard, then orks again (if they do come out as rumoured), some WFB or LotR in between and then it's 2008.....

Kromando33
10-11-2006, 23:29
Well I have decided to restraint and discipline myself to stick to one army until I am completely done with it.

TCUTTER
10-11-2006, 23:50
started with ultras, logical step was to pick armies they fight, now ive expanded out of the eastern fringe towards the eye so as you can imagine theres a few armies in my collection.

you could use that method, pick the coolest force and then move on to there protagonists, but several other methods work too

Hobgoblyn
10-11-2006, 23:53
For me it really wasn't much about choice.
My friend bought the battle legion back in 2nd edition and used the Space Marines and gave me the Orks in it. So I just bought a few more models at a time to build up a relatively small Ork army. I always wanted to play Skaven in 40K, but there weren't any.

And then when I went back to the game after a many year break and had more money I initially made that 'Space Skaven' army I always wanted. Of course, it wasn't at all legal so I got a Space Marine army because they are cheap and by far the most supported. I wanted an unusual chapter so I went with the Raven Guard (which became popular only after the new Space Marien book). But, ultimately I went back and bought up a bunch of Ork models to make an Ork army again.

I guess when it came down to it, Orks really are my favorite of all the available armies. Although I usually like fast thiefy types, I hate elves and so Eldar were right out and the only other one that fit the bill were Tyrnids which I never found appealing.

Davout
11-11-2006, 02:22
Man, I started out with the old metal Cadians (2500 points) then moved on to Mordians (2500 points). Now I've got Space Marines and Sisters going at the same time. I also picked up Vostyrans on ebay as well as an Eldar battle force, so those are next in line.

Would love to do Orks when the new models come out.

boardbox
11-11-2006, 03:41
For me it was fairly strait-forward at first. My dad surprised me with a daemon prince, a rhino, and chaos marines. That was my start in 40k. As I got into it more into it and saw more models and armies it was hard to stick to just chaos (and even build an army within that).

My recommendations would be to first not pick an army if there are models in that army's range that you don't like. I for one don't like tyranids, the models don't appeal to me, it's an awesome army, I could never build one. Then pick an army where the fluff really agrees with you. Necrons are really cool but I really like the heroic (or villainous) image of marine forces. Also, consider how the army plays and what its strengths are. I like the fluid nature of tau armies.

Lastly you don't have to stick to an army. My group has number of players that switch around or proxy. Just make something you can play with and if you get bored with it try your hand at another army, it is a hobby after all.

Warlord Kyle
11-11-2006, 05:10
When my friends got me into the game they asked it i would rather nuke/shoot/slash the enemy army. I naturally picked slash so nids, a friend was selling his tiny ork army so i got it so now slash and crunch, and i love the de fluff so now i slash, crunch and drink souls:D
Honestly i play the bad guys because in real life im always the good guys so i wanted to go evil:evilgrin:

newpaintbrush
11-11-2006, 05:36
That's why you need to collect EVERY army!

buy buy buy!

lol . . . ?

I just look at whatever models I think look fun. Then I collect 'em. If the price is right.

Like, I would never collect an army of Catachans, because I think it's too repetitive. But Cadians with Catachan elite, sure. But would I have collected pewter Cadians, no. I waited for plastics to be released. If only GW would release plastics of those IG dudes with the masks and fur hats. I like furry hats.

lordmetroid
11-11-2006, 08:44
You just have to settle for one option, take the one you like the background stories for, the one that you like the models available for and you are set!

Crenal
11-11-2006, 08:48
I look for the armies i like and then look for an army with a different playing style to the one/s i currents have.

fwacho
11-11-2006, 11:14
How I decide what army to teach some one with....

for a first time I ask a few questions...

1. What is your favorite stratagy to use when playing Risk.
a. Asia-- DE, drop troop IG
b. Austrailia-- heavily armored SM or tanking IG, Necrons
c. Africa-- something assaulty orks, chaos, blood angels, Space wolves
d. Europe-- Eldar, Tau, Demon hunters
e. North America-- fast SM or Tau, Witch hunters
f. South America-- Space marines, Necrons

2. Are you naturally...?
a. conservative--IG, Space marine shooty, static Tau
b. agressive--Blood Angels, Chaos, Orks, NIds, Raven wing, BlackTemplars, Space wolves
c. depends--Eldar, Tau, Space marine speedy, Necrons

3. do you mind seeing your army die in front of you?
Yes---All Space Marines, Necrons, Chaos, Deathwing, Mechanized IG, aspect eldar, Demon hunters
No--- horde IG, Nids, Orks, gaurdian based eldar

4. I would rather...?
a. move and shoot-- Eldar, Tau, Mechanized Gaurd, Deathwing, Demon hunters
b. sit and shoot---Imperial Guard, Dark Angels, static Tau, Space marines
c. charge and fight CC---Blood angels, orks, chaos, nids, black templars, Sapce wolves
d. all the above--Eldar, Space Marines, Necrons

5. Anything about you personally?
1. I like to take gambles---Death Wing, Demon hunters, Orks, Eldar
2. I love Lord of the Rings--- Eldar, orks
3. I want to be the good guy---Tau, Eldar, Demon hunters, Space marines, IG
4. i want to be a bad guy---Chaos, necrons, Orks, nids, sisters,
5. I'm a quick learner (good stratagist)-- Tau, eldar, Dark Eldar, orks, Demon hunters, Death wing, Raven wing, sisters, black templar, Space wolves
6. I'm a slow learner (not so quick with tactics)---necrons, Space Marines, most chaos, Imperial Gaurd, blood angels, horde nids.
7. I don't have time to paint-- Death wing, Space marines, Chaos, Necrons, big nids.
8. i want the biggest tanks-- IG, necrons
9. what do you enjoy?---fast Eldar, balanced Tau
10. Are you gogin to eat that?--- Nids
11. I'm all about chivalry--- Space marines
12. What looks cool?--- Tau, Eldar, some Chaos
13. I love anime--- Tau
14. Terminator is my favoruite movie---Necrons
15. i want to be the evilest army--- Necrons
16. You mean my army cuold get back up after it dies.. sweet!--- Necrons
17. just let me play a regular human--- imperial guard
18. i'm a fan of the inquisition--- sisters, Demon hunters
19. oooh chicks in power armor!--- sisters
20. i love modeling and conversions-- orks, chaos, IG, DEmon hunters, Sisters
21. how many models can you use at once?--- IG, orks, nids

last question...Your personality type is?...

Choleric, Red, task oriented and in charge. asks what's effective?--- Eldar, Chaos (one of big four), Death Wing, Blood angels, Tau, Necrons.

Sanguine, Yellow, people oriented and just friendly, capricious, asks what's fun?--- Tau, Orks, Space marines vannilla, Chaos (undivided), IG

Melancholy, Green, shy but friendly once they know you, asks what are you not using? Then lays awake figuring how to win.--- Nids, Tau, Orks, (odd marine varients that reflect their nuances) Witch hunters, Imperial Gaurd

Phlegmatic, Blue, task oriented kinds of quiet, what really messes with my opponets head or gets a reaction?----Dark eldar, Necrons, Nids, Eldar, Space wolves, Chaos (demon army)

that should about sum it up. or at the very least provide some starting places.

ashc
11-11-2006, 11:20
Don't look at me; I sold off my last army in June and still haven't picked a new one :rolleyes:

Its incredibly hard to choose i find; all the races have some endearing/attractive quality to them. I think i am the sort of person who would actually own every army, if it wasn't for the crippling cost that would be that i cannot afford.

Ash

MadJackMcJack
11-11-2006, 11:22
I looked for an army that was Orky. After that, it was easy!

So how I started with Tau is beyond me :wtf:

Venomizer
11-11-2006, 11:28
Phlegmatic, Blue, task oriented kinds of quiet, what really messes with my opponets head or gets a reaction?----Dark eldar, Necrons, Nids, Eldar, Space wolves, Chaos (demon army)

uncanny....................have you got a network of cameras & spys following me :eek: :p

in all seriousness though, I started Necrons after my brother wanted to do a Tau army, so I inherited 2 boxes of warriors, a destroyer lord and the codex, thought they looked cool then had a read of the codex - cue a sly, evil grin and my love for the 'Crons

probably the only 40k army I'll collect (besides possibly Harlequins but the chances of them getting an official codex are slim & none - and slim is leaving the country)

Kamin_Majere
11-11-2006, 12:44
It was pretty easy.

The eldar models were "teh sexah" so i chose them. I basically scanned the racks until i found an army that i liked the looks of and i stuck with it.

Over the years i have ended up collecting a 2K sisters of battle army and a 2K salamanders army. BUt i've rarely played them. Nice models and it gives me something to paint when i'm tired of looking at eldar but i will always go with the army that the look brought me in

Curufew
11-11-2006, 13:21
I dunno why I started Tau either. I think it's because when I went to the shop, they didn't have the new Space Marine Battleforce MK2. So I got the Tau battleforce instead. Now feeling if I got the wrong race to start with.

Killgore
11-11-2006, 14:19
I'v nearly got 1 of each army but I'm currently buying lots of Eldar stuff, mainly because I'v found a real easy way of painting Ulthwe craftworld, that and the new codex ^_^

Daemon king Mad Dog
11-11-2006, 20:50
Simple! I Write down all the anmes of all the armies i want to collect, fold up the peices of paper and pull one out. Then i write that down on several peices of paper with the words "I swear to collect...." infront of it and blue tak it over ALL the walls of my room! Wake up, it says it on the ceiling!

Real reason, look at my avatar and work out why it's that!

thelightbringer
11-11-2006, 21:42
Im a simple Ultramarine player! I do have a squad of the redeemed!!Pre heresy emporers children, who survived Istvaan 3 and are hell bent on annihilating their former brothers!! My army is more a battlegroup ala German late war doctrine then strict codex!! I like the fluff so!!

Z-chan
11-11-2006, 21:43
It was in 2000 when I was deciding between who looked the coolest between an Imperial Fist, a Dire Avenger and an Incubus. After around three weeks I settled on Eldar seeing the new at that time Guardian models.

Zothos
11-11-2006, 21:43
My advice to someone just starting is to choose the army that has the models they like best.

When it comes down to it the game could be played with cardboard chits. We play this game because we like playing with cool looking toy soldiers.

So be honest with yourself, embrace your geekhood and buy an army because it looks damn cool to you.

'Nuff said~;)

ElPhantasmo
11-11-2006, 23:14
I personally picked my armies based on their general mindset in fluff and how much I liked their troops.

I originally went with the Necrons because I have severe difficulty saying no to robotic skeletons wielding nifty lightning guns, but I quickly came to love their fluff - aside from the vaguely Lovecraftian ancient, evil star-gods, I like the idea of the Necrons themselves as bitter alien souls encased in indestructible killing machines. To be totally honest it didn't hurt that they had a full and completely modern model range, but as a side note, don't go Necrons unless you really like Necron Warriors, you build and paint a lot of them and they get kind of repetitive.

I next turned to the Orks because of their fun-loving, reckless attitude toward life. I like how in the grim and nasty world of 40K, we have the Orks who approach war in much the same way as your average frat boy approaches a keg party. Plus the thought of hurling myself off a moving vehicle and krumping some uppity Marine-boy in the 'ead appeals to me in an irrational and dangerous manner that makes it difficult for me to ride in the back of pickup trucks.

The exception is my Ultramarines (counting as Deathwing) army. I've never really been able to get behind the xenophobic Imperial mindset, but I love the Space Marine troop and vehicle designs, and the gorgeous new Terminators had just been released. In fact I liked the Terminators so much I decided to use the Deathwing list.

As for your situation, I recommend the Combat Patrol route. 400pts is just enough to get a feel for the playstyle of an army, gives you an idea of what building a full army of the models will be like, and isn't too expensive to collect. If you're more concerned with the gaming aspect of the hobby, you could also just join a 40K group or club and borrow the models to see how they play, many players have an extra side army that they don't mind lending out.

Z-chan
11-11-2006, 23:28
My advice to someone just starting is to choose the army that has the models they like best.

When it comes down to it the game could be played with cardboard chits. We play this game because we like playing with cool looking toy soldiers.

So be honest with yourself, embrace your geekhood and buy an army because it looks damn cool to you.

'Nuff said~;)

Signed. I don't mind fielding units that supposedly "suck" but look damn cool. Works vice versa though. Hence me not playing Dark Eldar.

blood_god
12-11-2006, 09:36
hmmm i have to say that i get sucked in by theme. or models. or some great idea that i had... or... ahhh there are so many reasons. this might sound stupid, but go with whatever appeals to you most. for whatever reason!

Slaaneshi Slave
12-11-2006, 11:03
Join the Guard, Ziljin, and you'll never have to get another army ever again! :D

Mainly because you'll never manage to finish your Guard arrmy. :p There is always "one more platoon". :p

Mrlemonjelly
12-11-2006, 16:46
My brother started collecting before me. I asked him "Which army has the most guns?". He said Orks, so I bought some. That's how I started my Ork army. I have my space marines because I liked the models, I think. I just decided to buy a few to paint up and now I have 4000pts worth.

Gen.Steiner
12-11-2006, 16:50
Mainly because you'll never manage to finish your Guard arrmy. :p There is always "one more platoon". :p

Guard armies, plural. :p "One more range of models" is more accurate...!

swamp_slug
12-11-2006, 21:58
It was easy for me, I loved the look of the Tau most and decided that I would collect that. I now have over 2500pts which consists of at least 1 squad of every unit from the codex.
Since then I have been collecting Guard with a 1000pt Grenadier army to which I will add a few platoons.

My problem, however, is "Magpie Syndrome", the shiny new Eldar models just make me want them, which means another army to 1500pts and I haven't finished my Guard yet!

I think the best piece of advice for choosing an army is go with the army and models that appeal to you.
If you like how the models you are fielding look, then you are more inclined to enjoy the game and the hobby.

althathir
12-11-2006, 22:34
Ziljin, I gotta couple of suggestions for you. If have some friends that are into the game see if they teach you how to use thier army and see if you like a style of play. the other suggestion is to start an army no one you know has. When I got into warhammer for the second time, my brother and a couple of our friends were getting into the game so we decided that we should all get different armies. If we got bored then we would trade armies for a while and it let us all get experience with each army.

Ziljin
13-11-2006, 00:15
I can officially afford to collect an army or two. (from grants for college lol). But I cannot go through with it. I have no clue how I could explain to my parents why I want to buy some minis. They would definitely frown upon it.

But I think I might be buying some minis soon(just to assemble tho). I can either buy metal minis for cheap on websites,(but not much to assemble since most are single piece) or buy loads of the plastic minis instead. I think I will limit my first purchase to either 100 USD or just one battleforce.

NeonDante
13-11-2006, 01:22
just one battleforce.

Right. Just one battleforce. you go on telling yourself that. :D

Ziljin
13-11-2006, 01:34
Well the battleforce is 90 usd, and with an online retailer, I could get it for cheaper. And a battleforce will have plenty of minis to work with to tstart out with.

Lyinar
13-11-2006, 05:08
I knew from the very beginning that I wanted an Eldar Army, the only problem was that once I got the Codex and actually analysed the rules, it turned out that they kinda sucked (plus, the whole "mostly metal" thing kinda sucked for a beginner like me). So, instead, I went with the monetarily cheapest of the armies that I actually identified with: the Tau. Of course, thanks to some horribly bad basing and the fact that they were my first attempts at painting miniatures, I've since decided to redo them when the new Codex came out for them, and thus my only complete army at either 1500 or the tournament size of 1850 is...

Black Templars. Because after collecting a Tau army up until the new 'dex made me want to do something that was as close as I could get to the exact opposite, and the chainsword-waving maniacs of the Black Templars definitely contrast nicely with the "Get it the frak away from me! *BLAM*" attitude of the Tau. ;)

Ziljin
13-11-2006, 21:03
zomg my mom just said I can buy some because she was saying how its bad to have money lying around in a bank account, and that the government will give me less financial aid because I have money.

I think I will stick to the budget of 100 bucks tho.

I can either buy Vostroyan platoon(they still have on ebay), cadian battleforce, tau battleforce, or storm boyz+stikk bombas+nobz box.

Well if I choose anything but the Vostroyan platoon I should have plenty to tinker around with.

Mojaco
13-11-2006, 23:02
Space Marines - check (~3000 pts)
Imperial Guard - double check (~1500 pts & ~400 pts)
Orks - check (~500 pts)
Eldar - check (~2000 pts, but growin fast)
Chaos - check (~1700 pts)

What do you mean, choose an army?

edit: out of the post above choices, I'd say Tau. I'm not a fan of the cadian battleforce and orks might turn you off from 40K, as they tend to lose. A lot. Vostroyans are a painters dream.... and therefor probably your nightmare. Not a beginner army if there ever was one.

Ziljin
13-11-2006, 23:12
I would just make them. and just leave them lying around on my shelf. And occassionally admire its detail. So i guess I would probably want to stick to a plastic army, cheaper and more assembling options.

Crimson Templar
13-11-2006, 23:20
From reading this thread, i would have to say that most of us can't pick "an" army to play. Everyone that I have gamed with has 2 or 3 to bring to the table. i have a harder time deciding which on eto use.

Ziljin
13-11-2006, 23:28
but even if you have 3-4 armies, there are a few more armies other than those. So many cool looking minis. I am sort of choosing them based on which has more plastic minis.