PDA

View Full Version : Tools breaking?

Mikari
10-11-2006, 19:08
I know GW has an excellent replacement policy but I'm unsure how it covers tools.

Earlier my clippers broke and while I've had them a while (a year or two), I figure it's worth asking what you guys have exprience wise with it. Is it worth trying to get them replaced or just buy a new pair?

Hlokk
10-11-2006, 19:11
I think if the product is defective in terms of missing/incorrect bits, or isnt what you wanted (but is unopened), you can exchange it. This shouldnt get you an exchange as you've obviously been using it for a year or so with no problems, therefore it was fine when you bought it (or you wouldnt have used it or would have taken it back, right?). Any damage/stress/breakages after such a long time would probably be seen as your fault and you wouldnt be given an exchange.

Mikari
10-11-2006, 19:18
I figured as much, but can't hurt to ask the staff right? Strange how I didn't have a single sign of it untill it snapped.

rivers3162
10-11-2006, 21:14
I bought a set of clippers from GW about 4 or 5 years ago. Got them home, clipped a couple of sprues and then i was trying to clip the slottabase tab of a mini when one of the 'prongs' flew off and missed my eye by less than an inch. I got a new set but I think that was more to do with them almost blinding me than anything else. It can't hurt to ask but after a year of use, its probably just one of those things.

The Winslow
11-11-2006, 03:28
GW buys and distributes a pretty shoddy set of cheap clippers, and they do tend to break easily. The clippers from Gale Force 9 are far superior, as are the ones from most hardware stores.

That said, if you got a year or two of use out them, I'd say you just need to buy another set. It's not like they broke immediately. And yes, that's how they break, with no warning, the metal isn't bending slowly, it's snapping off, and happens all at once as the right amount of pressure is applied. The little piece almost always tries to pop you in the eye, had it happen to me twice now, and then I quit using their clippers. (Quit selling them too, soon as GF9 put theirs out.)

newpaintbrush
11-11-2006, 05:27
GW clippers break easy. Files and pin vice, I wouldn't bother with either.

I use - I think it's Craftsman. I've had it for four to five years, and it never even wiggles. I don't think it will ever break, honestly, I've really abused them. I had a GW one for about two days. Busted.

Files, I use Nicholson. Very good, though I broke the round tip file off in a pewter gun barrel once. Far better and gives better results than anything else I've seen.

Pin vices, the drill bits break easily. I buy the drill bits in bulk from . . . I forget. I'll look it up if you drop me a msg.

cookiescrumble
11-11-2006, 10:40
Just tell them that they a couple of weeks old ;) .

Luke
11-11-2006, 10:47
My advice is "dont use GW crap". It always stuns me how people keep running back to GW for shoddy and defective products at extortionate prices when you can get cheaper, higher quality gear elsewhere. Brushes, paints, clippers, saws, measures, glue, files, sculpting tools....the list goes on.

Gaebriel
11-11-2006, 11:07
My advice is "dont use GW crap". ...
Seconded. Instead of trying to get a replacement of similar "quality", save time and breath and buy a pair of clippers elsewhere.

Also look better (http://www.order.conrad.com/xl/8000_8999/8100/8110/8119/811977_LB_00_FB.EPS.jpg) ;)

generulpoleaxe
11-11-2006, 12:16
get a set of xuron track cutter shears.
they are desighned for cutting model railway tracks. i use mine for trimming steel wire pins as well and the blade has no nicks in at all.

if your uk based then heresy miniatures does them. http://www.heresyminiatures.com/

3 0f 6
11-11-2006, 13:14
i have busted the flex of my gw clippers.... cutting up old sprues for rubble... and my pin vice is ok at present but certain bits dont hold well, makes pinning impossible... my clippers still work but they dont open without extra effort now...