PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elves

Gimp
11-11-2006, 18:13
Are Dark Elves really dark and evil or just missunderstood and all that killing and plundering just a cry for attention.

Maybe they should change the name to Naughty Elves or Slightly Missunderstood Elves or We Have Some Issues Elves.

Banesword
11-11-2006, 18:33
Or "We Like To Bathe In Blood To Look Younger Elves"?

policy-boy
11-11-2006, 19:02
or maybe just no?:eyebrows:

Bingo the Fun Monkey
11-11-2006, 19:58
They're emo boys (and girls). Therefore they're evil.

Bregalad
12-11-2006, 02:24
Are the "DARK Elves", the "Masters of EVIL" (quoted headline from the army book), really dark and evil? That's a tough one ;)
How about "morally challenged Elves"? :)

der_lex
12-11-2006, 03:40
Of course the dark Elves are evil. they're the only Elves in the Warhammer world who seem to be heterosexual, and everyone know heterosexuals are eeevil... :D

Max_Killfactor
12-11-2006, 04:16

They have nothing to do with emo music. Nothing in this game does.

Iron Clad MacFearson
12-11-2006, 05:39
They got screwed, and they're pissed as hell!!!!! their bitter , and for good reason. The kind of bitterness that won't go away until every pansey HE has been flayed, and their skins used for T.P. by young Druichi to teach all the worth of the pathetic H.E.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
12-11-2006, 06:10
They have nothing to do with emo music. Nothing in this game does.

I'd say Malekith was pretty emo. After 6000 years he's still suckling off his (admittedly sexy) mommy's teet. He threw a big ass emo-fit when he didn't get to be king then he cut himself bigtime (ok so he stepped into the fire, same ****, it's a call for attention). Behind all the spikes and pizzaz and flesh-hooks is a sad little boy who got his toy truck taken away.:rolleyes:

Scythe
12-11-2006, 13:06

Emo's cut themselves. Dark Elves cut others. ;)

sigur
12-11-2006, 13:16
*choo, chooo* :rolleyes:

Holy Crap! Manticores!
12-11-2006, 13:49
Of course the dark Elves are evil. they're the only Elves in the Warhammer world who seem to be heterosexual, and everyone know heterosexuals are eeevil... :D
:D

on the other hand, with the various decrees sent down, they are also quite sexually frustrated.

Witch Elves... no-no
Sorceresses... no-no

:mad:

that would make most go from zero to vicious in 4.1 seconds.

Rathgar
12-11-2006, 14:04
Actually not as daft as it sounds. I remember the explanation of why Dark Elves hate High Elves in the 4th edition army book; ran along the lines of ever Dark Elf at some level despises what he is and vents this in the direction of his ‘uncorrupted brethren. Bit naff, and it seems to have vanished from the background, not a great loss.

Dark Elves aren’t misunderstood; their social structure actively encourages the seemingly pathological personality traits they posses. They don’t take slaves and sacrifice prisoners as a cry for attention, they do it because its perfectly acceptable in their society.

And they’re evil, can’t really argue with that. They revel in the darker side of the elven psyche. Fair enough concepts like honour and loyalty are not alien to them, but from a human perceptive they’re psychopathic.#

…this thread is still off to the wastes though, isn’t it?

Gimp
12-11-2006, 14:07
All this destruction and murder is just a way for them to vent some of there frustration.

Gimp
12-11-2006, 14:07
wait another one My Father Did Not Love Me Elves.

A neutral shade of black.
12-11-2006, 14:17
Are Dark Elves really dark and evil or just missunderstood and all that killing and plundering just a cry for attention.

Maybe they should change the name to Naughty Elves or Slightly Missunderstood Elves or We Have Some Issues Elves.

The search function is your friend. I can remember a good few threads discussing that over the last year or so.

Anyway, contrary to what Rathgar says, dark elves are not evil... Simply because evil doesn't exist. "Evil" just means that you disagree with it (and let's please refrain from mentioning the pile of crap that the D&D alignments are).

Everything the dark elves do is justifiable from a sociological point of view. They kill because they live in an environment where it's kill or be killed. They take slaves because all elves would take slaves, given the chance - all elves view the other races as inferior to theirs; simply, the high elves are too busy moping around on their little magical island going "we're all going to die. I'm so sad" whereas the dark elves are hell-bent on getting Ulthuan back by every possible mean.

The dark elves' behaviour is perfectly rational for individuals living in the environment they were forced to live in after they were thrown out of Ulthuan (and environment where the very land they lived on was out to get them, or so it seemed). See William Graham Sumner or anything that has anything to do with moral ethics in philosophy, really: Sumner found that infanticide in Eskimo society is viewed as something natural. It isn't evil, it just is - to the Eskimo, if a child needs to die so that the rest of the family survives, then that's the way things are. It's the same for the Druchii; they need to survive, and they need to get Ulthuan back. Anything they do is, full stop. You may not agree with it, but it isn't evil.

Rathgar
12-11-2006, 14:35
Anyway, contrary to what Rathgar says, dark elves are not evil... Simply because evil doesn't exist. "Evil" just means that you disagree with it (and let's please refrain from mentioning the pile of crap that the D&D alignments are).

I said they're evil from a human perspective (which is our perspective), you can argue till the cows come home about where or not ‘evil’ exists or not, and how that within any given moral structure what’s acceptable differs. But from the perspective of your average Johan Schmitt, dark elves are bastards.

Arhalien
12-11-2006, 14:42
I said they're evil from a human perspective (which is our perspective), you can argue till the cows come home about where or not ‘evil’ exists or not, and how that within any given moral structure what’s acceptable differs. But from the perspective of your average Johan Schmitt, dark elves are bastards.

As a High Elf player I am highly inclined to agree with you. In many ways the Druchii seem quite immature. When they were thrown off Ulthuan they acted just like a child and tried to destroy it just because they couldn;t have it. Child throwing the teddy out of the pram I think.

Gimp
12-11-2006, 15:04
All humour aside (which was the origonal aim of the thread) lets face it the dark elf land its self Naggaroth is a dark and depressing place its always cold and the sky does not shine most of the time. But yes the dark elves are just trying to get by and servive in a very hostile world.

Rathgar
12-11-2006, 15:14
In many ways the Druchii seem quite immature. When they were thrown off Ulthuan they acted just like a child and tried to destroy it just because they couldn;t have it. Child throwing the teddy out of the pram I think.

No no. That wasn’t my point. They’re not immature, they’re a highly sophisticated society. But their cultural practises are ones that our society (and by extension the humans in WHW) find unacceptable and evil.

12-11-2006, 15:31
I said they're evil from a human perspective (which is our perspective)

Which is wrong. They're evil from your perspective, perhaps, which in this case might the globally-accepted christian perspective. They certainly aren't evil from my perspective.

(That said, yes, I understand where you were getting at.)

But from the perspective of your average Johan Schmitt, dark elves are bastards.

Oh, sure, there's no denying the fact that they're not exactly nice to people. That still doesn't make them evil, though - just right bastards. :P

Mad Doc Grotsnik
12-11-2006, 15:53
Of course they aren't evil. Any non-Dark Elf is seen as an inferior species, and probably regarded as barely sentient.

Do we consider it evil if a Cow is killed to provide meat? Do we consider it evil to hunt a creature, putting it under duress for our own gratification? Essentially, no. We may not find it palatable, but we don't regard it as Evil.

Evil is an act reserved for an equal. In the eyes of the Druchii, not even the Asur are equals, thus nothing they do to other species can possibly be interpreted as Evil.

Arhalien
12-11-2006, 15:56
No no. That wasn’t my point. They’re not immature, they’re a highly sophisticated society. But their cultural practises are ones that our society (and by extension the humans in WHW) find unacceptable and evil.

Just trying to make a joke at the expense of Ulthuan;s greates enemy. It wasn;t a serious point at all.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
12-11-2006, 16:02
Also, do remember that Malekith WAS the rightful heir to the Crown, and it was petty politics that kept him off it!

Rathgar
12-11-2006, 16:08
Which is wrong. They're evil from your perspective, perhaps, which in this case might the globally-accepted christian perspective. They certainly aren't evil from my perspective.

Flippin’ heck, what is this? World Pedantic Day?

I take issue with the Christian reference (I‘m most certainly not Christian), the vast majority of modern day moral systems find mass murder, dancing around in entrails and slavery as evil.

I never claimed the Dark Elves see themselves as evil, simply that from our perspective they are. I have grasped the concept that evil is an entirely subjective term, this I stated, quit patronising me. :p

12-11-2006, 16:29
Flippin’ heck, what is this? World Pedantic Day?

What? It's world me day, and no one told me? How rude! :p

I take issue with the Christian reference (I‘m most certainly not Christian)

I didn't say you are. The fact remains that most of the Western world's morals are based on the christian faith.

I never claimed the Dark Elves see themselves as evil, simply that from our perspective they are.

From your perspective. :p

I have grasped the concept that evil is an entirely subjective term, this I stated, quit patronising me. :p

Hey, I'm not the one to blame - you're trying to engage a philosophy student currently writing an essay on moral ethics on the topic of good, evil and all that jazz. :p

Also, do remember that Malekith WAS the rightful heir to the Crown, and it was petty politics that kept him off it!

Except that Ulthuan had never had a king prior to that whole war thing against Chaos, and thus the heredity of the Phoenix Crown hadn't been established. Malekith had no claim to the crown other than the fact that he was his daddy's son.

cerealkiller195
12-11-2006, 16:51
they aren't emo they aren't wearing girls pants, make up, and holding a girls pocket.

Gimp
12-11-2006, 17:07
Was it not his mother and her cult that currupted Malikith and the other now dark elves.