PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions abotu WHF system

timorek
11-11-2006, 19:16
Hi all.

A bunch of newbie questions. After playing with myself (pun! pun!) with the Battle for Skull Pass, the following questions came to my mind:

1) Oh my Lawd paint how many figures now (sorry cant reist this)

2) Magic phase - Do unused power dice and dispel dice get deleted from the pools at the end of the turn? Or do they carry over to the next turn (making for the absurd situation of say 16 power dice for two level 2 wizards at turn 4?).

3) Can you use general for stupidity test if he is in range of the stupid model? Or does he have to be in the stupid model's unit to use the general's LD? Or do I have to make the gobbo big boss walk with Slugdroll the trool holding hands like the Saudi prince with GW Bush?

4) In close combat, do units that were killed by the charing side/side with greater initiative, get to fight back or not? Say, a charging dwarf unit kills 3 gobbo models out of the first row - do the 3 "dead" gobbos fight back or not?
This is crucial for me...

5) Charge does not give you extra attacks; what exactly is the benefit of a charge? Seems I am missing something here....

6) This last question is because I am a total newbie to WHF. I cant tell what the models for gobbos are with the totems it seems the gobbos have 2 standards...I treat the night goblins as having 1 standard and 1 musician and 1 hero in each unit of night gobbos spears and night gobbos archers.

The dwarves I am clueless about - I think one model is a rune priest really...

Anyways - I like the system of unit moves, and somehow I think I like this more than WH40K. It got me painting again, which is great. Army battle standard is crucial and so is a good general next to it. Thunderers rock gobbos world - a 2nd unit of thunderers and gobbos should run for mommy, without the dwarf warriors being needed. In fact, I dont see how the gobbos can win in the Skull pass, barring a mishoot on the cannon and the thunderer's rolling really crappy rolls...

DeathlessDraich
11-11-2006, 19:23
2) No, power and dispel dice are generated for each magic phase and not carried over. Some magic items from LM or Empire enable you to carry over magic dice
3) Yes general's Ld can be used for Stupidity unless he is fleeing or beyond 12"
4) No, slain models do not fight back - the no. of attacks is reduced from the no. in btb by the attcks of the number slain.
5) A charging unit attacks first unless the charged unit has a special rule to enable it to strike first. There are also specific bonuses like added strength, cause Fear etc for some units.

I'll leave 6 for the others

Falkman
11-11-2006, 19:51
6) This last question is because I am a total newbie to WHF. I cant tell what the models for gobbos are with the totems it seems the gobbos have 2 standards...I treat the night goblins as having 1 standard and 1 musician and 1 hero in each unit of night gobbos spears and night gobbos archers.
The Night gobbo musicians look somewhat like standard bearers, I agree.
The standard bearers are the ones with moons on sticks (one has a banner with a moon on), and the musicians are the ones with little gongs on sticks.
I'm not sure what you mean about the Dwarfs, post some pics of the models you're unsure about and I'll help you with who's who.

And Thunderers are good in the small introductory rulebook, but their effectiveness is somewhat lessened when you start using to-hit modifiers, and the points system to even up the armies a bit.
Other than that, I held some demo games with the Skull pass content in a local game store, and I'd say that the gobbo side seems better than the Dwarf side, the gobbos vastly outnumber the dwarfs and have the Spider riders to stop the cannon or the Thunderers to fire, as they will probably engage them on turn 2 already.
Both demo games were won by the gobbo side btw.

timorek
11-11-2006, 20:05
Ahh thanks for the replies this clarifies the game system for me.

Especially:
2) No, power and dispel dice are generated for each magic phase and not carried over. Some magic items from LM or Empire enable you to carry over magic dice
3) Yes general's Ld can be used for Stupidity unless he is fleeing or beyond 12"
4) No, slain models do not fight back - the no. of attacks is reduced from the no. in btb by the attcks of the number slain.

This. This explains the game to me basically.

Ok, so the gobbos with the round totems (not the half moon bearers) ar the musicians. Thought so, thanks. How do they play these things, bang against them with their sickles :-D?

Falkman
11-11-2006, 20:15
Ok, so the gobbos with the round totems (not the half moon bearers) ar the musicians. Thought so, thanks. How do they play these things, bang against them with their sickles :-D?
Yeah, the small "half-moon sickled blades on sticks" they carry is supposed to be some kind of drumstick.

metro_gnome
11-11-2006, 22:17
it is "music" in the broadest sense of the word...