PDA

View Full Version : Possible Codex Harlequins

Arhalien
12-11-2006, 13:07
Not sure how reliable this is, but i jsut found this on the GW forums. Apparently there will be a mini codex-harlies after Dark Angels. it;s the second last post in the thread.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/forums/warhammer40000/

What do you think?
And does anyone else have any rumours that may be added to here?

squigsnok
12-11-2006, 13:46
I couldnt say for sure either way, but I honestly wouldnt bet on it at all. GW arent doing mini-dexes anymore. Jervis' "Standard Bearer" article in WD explained that they're doing full codexes or Campaign books (ala EoT, but which wouldnt have army lists in).

Basically they thought it was too confusing having lots of mini codexes that referred to other books. This is one of the reasons that EoT, Armageddon and Craftworld Eldar were taken out of the UKGT this year (CW Eldar is there coz we're still using the old codex).

So I would not expect a Harlie Dex anytime in the forseeable future I'm afraid. There might be a WD article with The Solitaire in it, but that might be pushing it as well.

Course I know very little about it, I'm just going off my orky logik. But I'd take most "AmAzInG rUmOuRs" you hear off the GW forums with a large pinch of salt...

Arhalien
12-11-2006, 13:47
hmm, maybe just wishful thinking, as i would quite like to do a harlies army, especially with the new models looking as good as they do.

Inq. Veltane
12-11-2006, 13:53
Although if the Harlequins codex actually included the normal Harlequin profile from the Eldar Codex (and any necessary weapons rules as well) the 'problem' with minicodexes would disappear. It would be a full (standalone) codex, just a 'small' one with a lot less choices. 24 pages or so instead of the usual. Such a 'minidex' would actually be more likely than include rules for a Solitaire in WD and so on because it would keep all an army's rules in one place, nice and simple for the kiddies...

DarkWarrior1981
12-11-2006, 14:11
Maybe it will appear as some kind of a free booklet, like Warhammer Armies:Kislev some time ago.

(Evil)Ash
12-11-2006, 14:26
I actually think the quickest and easiest way would be a WD article. And it would give the WD something interresting to put in.

(I btw couldn't find the tread)

EDIT:

Maybe it will appear as some kind of a free booklet, like Warhammer Armies:Kislev some time ago.

now that would be even better.

greetz,:evilgrin:

A neutral shade of black.
12-11-2006, 14:35
http://uk.games-workshop.com/apps/eshare.pl?do=ReadThread&BoardID=4&ID=5385684&template=uk

Third post from the bottom by some guy named plasmadog.

It's another "the people at the local GW told me" thing. Complete crap in 99.99% of cases. That said, I do foresee a WD article trying to cash in on the new harlequin models by introducing an alternate and entirely opponent's approval list, though.

Sandlemad
12-11-2006, 15:16
How curious, the GW forums have improved in layout since I saw them last. And yet they will be closing soon. Rather odd.

Back on topic, anyone who knows the new harlequins well, has practise-gamed them, etc., how well would a new harlequin army work? I know you could really only judge based on the idea of having the new troupes as core troops but would it work?

Zerosoul
12-11-2006, 15:24
How curious, the GW forums have improved in layout since I saw them last. And yet they will be closing soon. Rather odd.

Back on topic, anyone who knows the new harlequins well, has practise-gamed them, etc., how well would a new harlequin army work? I know you could really only judge based on the idea of having the new troupes as core troops but would it work?

I've seen them played a couple times though I haven't proxied them myself yetd(and don't plan to - not really interested in fielding them), but - the Troupes as core units would be completely overpowered without tweaking. At the very least no Shadowseer, but then you'd have to come up with something to make them more survivable so they could actually stand a chance of getting across the board.

Maxis Lithium
12-11-2006, 15:55
There was some questions about this before.

GW has stated that if the Harlaquins do well (I assume retail wise) then they may get their own list in the future.

I don't know what they're going to do in regards to publishing the list. I suspect either a WD artical, or an internet release like the Catachan codex. (which would be my prefered method)

I don't know if there's going to be anything else on this.

NakedFisherman
12-11-2006, 15:56

The UK forums and US forums share the same content, but have different methods of diplaying the content.

Tastyfish
12-11-2006, 16:10
Something akin to the Kroot merc list would be what I would expect. Would allow them to be fielded alongside Dark Eldar or Imperials (when fighting chaos or necrons) as well.

Eblis_Dead_Forever
12-11-2006, 16:41
I think it's just a way for GW to sell more harlequins, get people extremely excited about their release by promising a potential codex if they do well. It makes sense that they didn't get released with the codex as they would want all the other new models to sell well. If they released the harlequins as well there would be a competition within the eldar model range. As theres a respite between the new eldar and the harlequins it allows people to get money together to buy lots of them. Which they will espically if they think theres going to be a codex for them.

The fact that they're also in the new Dawn of War as well is really subtle. Oh look we put in unit that doesn't have a model out for it yet, yes we forgot that we could have put in the striking scropians or the dire avengers instead. Oh well!!!

GW suliminal advertising:
(Look at these nice new rules for the harlequins go on proxy models in for them we won't mind. Look at all those attacks, yes they are all rending. Oh no he can't see them and now they will chop those nice terminators into confette. Guess what they're also in Dawn of War and they have very nice combat animation look at them dance and leap and kill. All shall love the space mimes of doom. So how many of them do you want when they're released??? Only 3 you know we might be doing a codex for them. Yes 18 more like it)

UltimateNagash
12-11-2006, 17:12
Here's the prototype one from 1999 (I think): http://uk.games-workshop.com/eldar/harlequins/assets/harlequins.pdf

Shadowseer Crofty
12-11-2006, 17:15
I seriously doubt there will be a new harlequin list in white dwarf, they've stopped doing new rules now. A codex in the far, far future (ie, a few years after the horus heresy:P) is more likely. The old eldar rumours thread containing what Orbital had managed to get out of phil kelly had this to say on a new harlie 'dex.

If they are popular enough, GW may consider giving them their own codex at some later date.
next thing

I couldnt say for sure either way, but I honestly wouldnt bet on it at all. GW arent doing mini-dexes anymore. Jervis' "Standard Bearer" article in WD explained that they're doing full codexes or Campaign books (ala EoT, but which wouldnt have army lists in).
if GW arent doing mini dexes anymore, what pray is the new dark angels one? Also, i thought they were scrapping campaign books altogether, and all we're getting is new codexs and IAs (though a complete lack of new races)

UltimateNagash
12-11-2006, 17:22
The Dark Angel one is the same format as the Black Templars one: all their rules in one book.

Atherakhia
12-11-2006, 17:27
Such a 'minidex' would actually be more likely than include rules for a Solitaire in WD and so on because it would keep all an army's rules in one place, nice and simple for the kiddies...

Yeah, but it means people wouldn't be buying up all the other stuff that they will nead if it's spread out over multiple volumes. You know how they like to rake in the green....

Dosadi
12-11-2006, 17:28
Here is what I heard...

There is going to be a new box set like the one we got for Vostroyans with about 30 or so minis in it. It's basically an update to the old harli box from way back in the day. Itb will have a bunch of troupers, Leaders, Shadow Seer (possibly lesser seers as well?), A Great Harlequin, A Solitair and a couple of Death Jesters. Maybe it will have Mimes in it as well? I know that Jes has made a lot more Harlequin models than the six we have seen so far.

There is going to be a stand alone Harlequin army list. It will not require any other codex to use. I don't think you will be able to use it with Eldar/Dark Eldar armies. It's a seperate list for just Harlequin armies.

I don't know how they plan on publishing the Harliquin Codex. It may be a "mini-codex" (i.e. something with a smaller page count than normal) part of a rules expansion (I doubt this as we know what the rules expoansion for next year is going to be.) or an Internet download (GW give it away for free? Stranger things have happened.). It will most likley not be in a WD as there is a new standard of "no rules in WD". But this may change as WD is getting pretty dull without this sort of content in it anymore (IMO).

Personally I'd love to see it part of some larger Xenos Book with army lists for all sorts of alien races. A Kroot merc list, Hrud perhaps? Genestealer Cults, Demiurge (stunties!) and some other aliens we have yet to hear about. Put it out around the same time as the Ordo Xenos Codex as a sort of "Antagonist Codex". Only problem with this is that I've heard there will not be a Ordo Xenos book. Just a new "forces of the inquisition" book with all the ordos in one codex. Either way, I can't wait for the new harlequin models. I've already decided that I want to use 2 squads in my Eldar army. \

Dosadi

Atherakhia
12-11-2006, 17:48
in that case, i'm guessing Imperial Armour ;o)

Only problem with this is that I've heard there will not be a Ordo Xenos book. Just a new "forces of the inquisition" book with all the ordos in one codex.

Which is what they should have done in the first place, like the Chaos Codex. Seeing as how the Inquisition is the Imperial Anti-Chaos (well, Ordos Hereticus and Malleus at any rate), they should have the Imperial variant lol

Nah they should have just put the Inquisition in one book anyways, imho

Iron Buddha
12-11-2006, 20:49
I love the idea of a smaller 'dex espescially for harlies :angel: and as much as I would like to believe there will be one, i cant help but be a bit reserved as to my expectations. but heres hoping:eyebrows:

Feral
12-11-2006, 22:03
Could it not be possible that they'll release a pdf codex on the web site, just like they did for Codex:Catachans?

that would seem to make the most sense to me.

charlie_c67
12-11-2006, 22:06
Why won't people accept that no mini-dexes means no mini-dexes? I'm sure this comes up each time talk of a new codex comes up. Also I can't see all the inquisition being clubbed together in the style of codex:chaos cos the developers admitted that that codex was way too full nd would be split down.

Atherakhia
12-11-2006, 22:32
i can imagine a harlie codex, but it will be like the kislev army book
oooh free harlie codex w/ white dwarf oooh

Tastyfish
12-11-2006, 22:41
Can't remember reading that they weren't going to do new rules in the WD, just that these wouldn't be tournament legal armies (which makes sense given its a Harlequins list almost).

As for the Inquisition, given that they really weren't happy with how the Chaos codex came out I can't see them continuing down that route.

Mr_Rose
12-11-2006, 23:02
I would like to see it combined with the exodites and maybe the pirate fleets in a single tome, called codex: eldar outcasts or something, as a third pointy-ear 'dex, after the Dark Eldar one is out.

But that won't happen, because it would have to be huge to do both harlequins and exodites justice...

In the meanwhile, I shall just continue with my plans to make an Exodite army using the new Codex and some wood elf bits...

Tastyfish
12-11-2006, 23:06
I'm always a little suprised my the phrase 'do the harlequins justice' as clearly incorperating them into a 40K army isn't that. They don't fight on the battlefield as an army, they are primarly concerned with keeping the old legends and myths going amongst the populations and quietly dealing with threats as they come (or informing others so that they can do it instead).

Doing the Harlequin's justice requires a novel or a sourcebook for 40KRP, not an army.

Saithis
12-11-2006, 23:07
I don't think there'll be a Codex: Harlequins. They're going to sit in the Eldar codex, methinks.

Although I wouldn't be surprised to see one thing - as we all know, the Harlequins come from Eldar and Dark Eldar. I wouldn't be surprised to see Harlequins in the Dark Eldar codex.

althathir
12-11-2006, 23:10
I can't see them making a codex for them anytime soon. It wouldn't suprise me if though if one came towards the end of the release cycle but I kind of doubt it. I could see a WD list that wasn't tournment legal though, and if the early trend of everyone using them conitunes (which I gotta admit I think they are overated) it might be sooner then later.

cailus
12-11-2006, 23:13
Here's a theory involving the Dark Eldar codex:

Perhaps the Dark Eldar codex won't focus entirely on the Dark Eldar. Perhaps it will be more about non-Craftworld Eldar with an emphasis on Dark Eldar but also include corsairs, Exodites and an expanded Harlequin list?

It's kinda like the Witchhunter codex emphasises Sisters Of Battle but includes other units as well.

Just a theory...

Carnelian
12-11-2006, 23:49
Let's hope that they make them more balanced than the underpowered non - SoB units in Codex Witchhunters

Xisor
13-11-2006, 04:09
To draw a distinction I didn't see mentioned before:

'No minidexes' does not mean 'no smaller codices'

Minidexes, as far as I'm aware, refer to the 'supplement' style Codices. Small Codices as many folks, I believe are proposing are still perfectly viable. Especially for Harlequins.

Why?

- It needn't be a big book (half-a-dex)
- It can easily be stand alone (all rules in one place)
- As it's small, it won't take that much investment
- As it's not much investment, but can stand to make profit it is viable.

Easy. No reason to rule 'em out yet.

Xisor

Sergeant Tanthius
13-11-2006, 08:17
I think we should separate "minidex" and "Supplement" from now on.

[Professor Tanthius]
A minidex: a codex smaller than a normal one, yet to be produced.

A supplement: A codex that gives more units and background to a larger and more widely used codex, usually used to add theme and add new rules for specific and less widely seen armies, i.e. Blood Angels, Space Puppies etc.

A WD article: Chapter Approved article that give new rules, usually to supplement an existing codex, such as the old KT rules

Webdex: A codex that for some reason GW thinks that its not worth the waste of paper, but popularity amoung a small amount of old gamers keeps it within the game, hence a free way of getting a dex. Codex Catachan and Kroot mercs are good and possibly only examples.

[/Professor Tanthius]

So there are no supplements any more, but there may be a minidex for it. Considering that they may be a quite popular army (or else they wouldn't do it,) we can assume the minidex option is one of the most likely, if it ever comes out.

leonmallett
13-11-2006, 08:31
I worry about how much credence is being given to very vague rumours. An earlier post mentioned and independent GW stockist as a source, and the source from the GW forums was short on specifics. As to the idea of a box set with more models than would form a game-legal squad, that seems particularly unlikely. The question is does Brimstone know anything?

leonmallett
13-11-2006, 08:31
Met Phil Kelly at the Grand Tournament yesterday. I wish I had remembered to ask about Harlequins!

Alaryel
13-11-2006, 08:43
A few weeks ago when I went to my GW store to see the eldar codex, the manager told me that the harlequins were back in the codex.
He also told me that there will be an harlequin list in a future white dwarf.

Let's hope...

static grass
13-11-2006, 09:11
Here is what I heard...

There is going to be a new box set like the one we got for Vostroyans with about 30 or so minis in it. It's basically an update to the old harli box from way back in the day. Itb will have a bunch of troupers, Leaders, Shadow Seer (possibly lesser seers as well?), A Great Harlequin, A Solitair and a couple of Death Jesters. Maybe it will have Mimes in it as well? I know that Jes has made a lot more Harlequin models than the six we have seen so far.
Dosadi

If this is true then there must also be harlie dex in production too because there are no rules for Solitair or the Great Harlequin in the eldar dex.

Please let it be true :)

Bregalad
13-11-2006, 09:22
Harlequins have a lot of background, new Codices have a lot of background, so you could fill a Harlequin Codex easily in the Witch Hunters way:
Harlequin HQ (Great Harlequin, Shadowseer)
Elite (Solitaire, Death Jester)
Standard (Harlequin Troupe, Mimes)
Fast Attack (Jet bikes)
Support (Venom)
Then you can add Guardians or Pathfinders (Harlequins allied with Alaitoc and Lugganath), Vipers, a Harlequin Phantom Lord, and possibly Dark Eldar transports and flyers.
With all that fluff you can get a Codex more filled than the Demon Hunters one.

I'm always a little suprised my the phrase 'do the harlequins justice' as clearly incorperating them into a 40K army isn't that. They don't fight on the battlefield as an army, they are primarly concerned with keeping the old legends and myths going amongst the populations and quietly dealing with threats as they come (or informing others so that they can do it instead).

Doing the Harlequin's justice requires a novel or a sourcebook for 40KRP, not an army.

That is not right. Harlequins fight Chaos (campaign) and work together with Scouts, Alaitoc and Lugganath. While not every combo is supported by fluff, a Scout/Harlequin army is reasonable.

Tastyfish
13-11-2006, 09:39
A Harlequin army backed up by scouts, vypers and pathfinders is possible using the Eldar codex though.

Mojaco
13-11-2006, 09:41
I'm guessing and hoping WD article.
A full codex would remove all mystery, which is their one redeeming quality (imo). And it would mean 3 eldar codexes, which I think is too much for a dying race (I know the same argument can be made for elitist SMs, but shove it :) We've gotten over that, right?) Imperial Guard and Orks would be more deserving of such honour.

Sagatarius
13-11-2006, 11:26
I really hope thank something is coming out for Harlquins.
At least an HQ choise so it would be possible to play an Harlequin army.

Arhalien
13-11-2006, 12:00
i can imagine a harlie codex, but it will be like the kislev army book
oooh free harlie codex w/ white dwarf oooh

Well that would be enough to make me buy that issue. :)

Gethzerion
13-11-2006, 13:19
I've spoken on many occasions with the managers at two of my local GW stores. Both of them, knowing my passion for the harlequin models have kept me well informed over the progression of the new models etc after their visits to GW HQ. As much as I would love this thread to be true, neither have reported any news on a new dex,supplement,CA or similar for the harlies. Nor have they seen any models that would not be fielded under the new Eldar Dex.

The new models will only be released (in a similar vein to the SoB Exorcist) in a boxed form (shown on GW website recently) with a limited number going to the stores before becoming mail order only.

Also, I have been told by more people than sense that there will be no more mini dexs/CA for 40K armies as GW cannot keep pace with the play testing, FAQ's etc for what they have let alone new stuff, so if the harlies do get a dex it will be similar to the BA/DA/SW for SM or not at all - this would also make them tourny legal.

Now, thats not saying that the design sketches etc could not completed for additional models should they be needed to pad out the range for a 'dex. If you look at the old trooper models, for something like 25-30 models there are only 5 or 6 individual models, the rest are diff weapon combo's. A single jetbike (mod'd canopy & top half of rider) 3 DJ's, 3 Solitaires, a handful of warlocks, a single ShadowSeer and G. Harlequin is hardly difficult to replace in the short term - assuming they cannot be mixed with exisiting models - I'm led to believe the new models are larger than the old ones?

Mr_Rose
13-11-2006, 13:48
Well that would be enough to make me buy that issue. :)
Ugh! A free White Dwarf with my harlequin codex? No thanks mate...

silveryfox
13-11-2006, 14:56
I wish they do an Imperial Armour with Harlies, Dark- and Craftworld Eldar. Forgeworld could do nice Harliequin models and Venom and lots of other things :)

self biased
13-11-2006, 15:26
There was some questions about this before.

GW has stated that if the Harlaquins do well (I assume retail wise) then they may get their own list in the future.

I don't know what they're going to do in regards to publishing the list. I suspect either a WD artical, or an internet release like the Catachan codex. (which would be my prefered method)

I don't know if there's going to be anything else on this.

hear hear. i thought this was more or less old news. granted, if the staffers had any touch with the fanbase, they'd know it would go over well.

Bregalad
13-11-2006, 16:04
A Harlequin army backed up by scouts, vypers and pathfinders is possible using the Eldar codex though.

Yes, and I will do that. But Solitaires are essential to old fluff and strategies. And Harlequins have no transport option in the new Codex. Also missing: Upgrading a whole unit, not only one Eldar to Mimes.

I'm led to believe the new models are larger than the old ones?

Just now, I only have two solitaires (rest on the way). The advancing one is the same scale as the new Ranger, the other one a bit smaller. Seems to depend. But as most new models are climbing or flying, it will be difficult to tell. Combining old and new model parts might help where possible (easy for jet bike riders, as new models have separate upper body!).

catdubh
13-11-2006, 16:12
Assuming they don't, whats the cost of 3 fully kitted out Harequin Squads (sorry I won't get the codex until this weekend, but I assume its a lot of points). In small games you won't have many points left to play with. So you could have a very Harlequin heavy army.

Slightly off topic can anyone tell me if Harlequins are fearless or just LD10? Many thanks

Tastyfish
13-11-2006, 16:39
Yes, and I will do that. But Solitaires are essential to old fluff and strategies. And Harlequins have no transport option in the new Codex. Also missing: Upgrading a whole unit, not only one Eldar to Mimes.

Just seems not quite enough to justify a new codex really, especially as the Harlequins are a troupe first and an army second (or third really). I can't see why they would have a transport vehicle really as masters of the webway, they don't particularly need one in Eldar armies either that much.

Solitaires I'll give you though, but I can't remember why they join up when the troupe goes to war. Thought they lived alone apart from when they joined up to play the part of the Great Enemy?

IJW
13-11-2006, 17:45
Just seems not quite enough to justify a new codex really, especially as the Harlequins are a troupe first and an army second (or third really).
Harlequins supposedly don't distinguish much between war and the dance, seeing them as extensions of the same performance.

Shadowseer Crofty
13-11-2006, 18:09
I wish they do an Imperial Armour with Harlies, Dark- and Craftworld Eldar. Forgeworld could do nice Harliequin models and Venom and lots of other things :)

then they could also do exodites, allowing forgeworld to go as mental as they like on reptillian cavalry and monsters

self biased
13-11-2006, 18:41
perhaps we'll see a revamp of the Ulthwe Strike Force. it would be flavorful and apropriate.

Diomedes
13-11-2006, 18:49
A Codex Harlequins would be good, I had the Harlequins boxset back in the days of Rogue trader when they had just been released, back when you could get thirty plastic marines for a tenner (ahh the golden age)...Sorry getting a little misty eye there!

White dwarf had all the special rules and an army list in it and it was later reprinted in a compendium.

At the time everyone had IG and Marine armies as they were the ones you could get cheap boxsets of plastics for (along with squats) and as I was neutral in these little disputes I used them as a mecernary force and the opposing players would bid for my services with sealed bids.

Neither player knew which turn I would arrive on or who I would be fighting for when I got there.

Ahh happy days!

Sorry a little off topic, I doubt there will be a codex but it would be nice is what I was saying.

Iron Buddha
13-11-2006, 18:59
fluffwise the harlequin list also needs a webway portal, i mean, isnt that their thing? and i miss all the gadgets you could get in the old citadel journal list. but most of all we need the solitare back, and the harlequin jetbikes:D .

but until then I plan on making a harlequin themed army using the new eldar dex . It will use pathfinders and lugganoth gaurdians as troops, shining spears as harlie jetbikes, some dark reapers as deathjesters, then an autarch as the great harlie, and the avatar rules for the solitare. and possibly some vypers for venoms and a wraithlord as a solitare wraithlord (one of those old bits of unofficial/controversial fluff.)

Diomedes
13-11-2006, 20:48
I agree Solitare's rule!

Carnelian
13-11-2006, 21:29
then they could also do exodites, allowing forgeworld to go as mental as they like on reptillian cavalry and monsters

Exodites are the only [non-dark] eldar that are would turn me over to the pointy heads! Yeha! Big ****** lizards with primitive space elves on! Man that's so awesome . If forgeworld did the models you know they'd look so good.

cailus
13-11-2006, 21:44
Exodites are the only [non-dark] eldar that are would turn me over to the pointy heads! Yeha! Big ****** lizards with primitive space elves on! Man that's so awesome . If forgeworld did the models you know they'd look so good.

Dark Elves?

I have to say I will be highly irritated if a derivative Eldar Codex comes out before the Ork codex. We Ork players have been shafted by GW for long enough.

Bregalad
13-11-2006, 22:48
fluffwise the harlequin list also needs a webway portal, i mean, isnt that their thing? and i miss all the gadgets you could get in the old citadel journal list. but most of all we need the solitare back, and the harlequin jetbikes:D .

Yes, I forgot the long list of Harlequin gadgets that pimped up the individual Harlequin fighter, so you could have a 1500 points 22 minis army. And webway portals would be fluffy, too. Anyway, we still have the alternative to use Dark Eldar rules and do a Wych heavy army with Harlequin models. I have just bought
4 skimmers from Star Wars miniatures (see below) as alternative Raiders (almost exactly the same size!) for that purpose.

MAGUNRA3K
13-11-2006, 23:03

sorry but i have to pull you on this one , JES GOODWIN and only jes goodwin can do great eldar ,thats the law ,now lets not hear these words uttered in this forum again !

IJW
14-11-2006, 11:17
Well, the new Farseers and Rangers are pretty good, and they're sculpted by Martin Footitt.

Sildani
14-11-2006, 11:52
Aye, and Will Hayes has done marvellous things with Eldar vehicles for Forge World - the Scorpion II and Revenant are his work, based on Jes Goodwin's sketches. I think the Exodites, if any, would follow that pattern.

Tastyfish
14-11-2006, 11:55
Hadn't thought of the Exodites, I think FW could really do something with the concept there rather than 'elves on dinosaurs'. Who did the Knarlocs for the Kroot?

Sildani
14-11-2006, 12:34
That would be Daniel Cockersell.

Carnelian
14-11-2006, 14:59
Why do you need more than elves on dinosaurs? Come on man....DINOSAURS!!!!

leonmallett
14-11-2006, 15:10
So no-one in 6+ pages has given any solid rumour (well, as solid as rumour can be!). This thread is now pure speculation and wishlists isn't it really?

Bregalad
14-11-2006, 15:26
Hey, this is an Eldar thread. Normally we do 20 pages A DAY without any solid rumours ;)

carl
14-11-2006, 17:40
Hey, this is an Eldar thread. Normally we do 20 pages A DAY without any solid rumours

How true:p.

WokeUpDead
14-11-2006, 18:59
the 'pointy eared typing-horde of doom' ain't what it used to be.. ;)

Dosadi
14-11-2006, 19:09
Hey! I thought my rumour was pretty solid. You would too, if you knew my source. :p
Granted, I threw in some speculation at the end...but the first part is pretty bang on from what I've been told.:cool:

Dosadi

ghost21
14-11-2006, 19:13
ive heard there will be a harlie wd list but im unsure when that will be

id love there there to be exodites but i have been waiting alooong time for them to apear as have many people

Arhalien
14-11-2006, 19:13
If anyone's interested, that link in my first post gets you onto the 40k forums. Just a strange little point with no purpose.

luchog
14-11-2006, 23:36
the 'pointy eared typing-horde of doom' ain't what it used to be.. ;)

That's 'cause we got nerfed in the new codex.

Captain Micha
15-11-2006, 12:03
I say if the bt got their own dex then certainly we sowers of confusion and dancing deserve our own!

Hello Black Templar what special thing makes you super unique? "ummm. we cost more a mini so we are more balanced....sorta. than a typical marine?" hmmm so gw totaly undid our victory on Nimbosa for you? "yep" so nothing quirky like black rage? "nope. but we do have special prayers and rules for the emps champion" and I bought you WHY? "ummm because we are cool? Gw made us. we are space marines LOVE ME PLEASE I BEG YOU"

nuff said folks nuff said lol

Shadowseer Crofty
15-11-2006, 15:26
well said cap'n, indeed we do. GW say they don't want variant lists anymore as it gets confusing, so they scrap craftworld lists. whats the next codex released? dark angels. hhhmmm, i see a flaw with their excuse.

paddyalexander
15-11-2006, 15:38
Its simple enough to do a strongly themed Harliquin army using the Current Codex. I couldn't find my copy of the old Harliquin list but a soupped up Autharch(sp?) or farseer modeled as a harliquin Avatar or Solitare, 3 units of Harliquins, two units of CC Guardians painted appropraitely (these guys could be Harliquins in training) & whatever other units you deem appropriate/nessisary could represent a harliquin force.

ionfish
15-11-2006, 15:53
Crofty, what GW said they were eliminating were lists which relied on another codex for a lot of their content. Since the new Dark Angels book will be a fully-fledged codex in its own right, with no need to refer the Space Marine one, there's no inconsistency in their new approach. If you simply don't like it then that's a different kettle of fish altogether.

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
15-11-2006, 16:11
A Harlequin army is the only thing that would make me collect Eldar again personally so id love to see a Codex for them too :)

Shadowseer Crofty
15-11-2006, 17:39
Crofty, what GW said they were eliminating were lists which relied on another codex for a lot of their content. Since the new Dark Angels book will be a fully-fledged codex in its own right, with no need to refer the Space Marine one, there's no inconsistency in their new approach. If you simply don't like it then that's a different kettle of fish altogether.

I didnt realise that, I was thinking for the basic marines it would say 'See Codex: space marines'

Gekiganger
15-11-2006, 17:45
Don't usually come in the 40k threads but this caught my eye after seeing a document with this name on limewire last night. Obviously it won't be the same thing (Or if it is I'll stab a jigsaw for not downloading it).

Nothing much to add as this is the first I've heard of it (Not playing 40k for years means a Codex: Harlequins could have been out for ages as far as I know :p) but It would be interesting if they did bring one out, just like the old days when harlequin armies existed but this time...with kids (or even worse, emos) playing them... perhaps it isn't such a good idea.

ionfish
15-11-2006, 17:59
We've known for a while that any new marine codex would be a 'full' codex; for example, the Black Templars one doesn't refer to Codex Space Marines, even for those entries which are identical (I assume at least a couple are, although I don't have the codex myself).

elros
15-11-2006, 20:09
Problems with minidex's are as follows: Take up storage space for low turnover models. If they dont hit big, they wont hit at all, they need to be slightly underpriced to get people hooked, then moved back to normal terms.

My view: GW wouldnt normally go to so much bother creating such good models for only one unit in a lesser army. There was the beta codex put out, but due to lack of models nobody played it (apart from me). I can see a redraft of the PDF codex being worked on and given the same status as other PDF's (catachans - tourney playable), then build up the fluff and see how many Eldar players buy the models then create an alternative list.

So:short term = no paperback dex
long term = depends on sales and designer's feelings.

althathir
15-11-2006, 23:15
My view: GW wouldnt normally go to so much bother creating such good models for only one unit in a lesser army.

First of all "lesser army" seriously :wtf: (Im actually kidding). Secondly it's long been rumored, that they would also be able to be chosen in Dark Eldar armies also, so its more like a unit for two armies. As far as a Harlequin codex I really doubt that we will see one anytime soon. Also it would seem like it would create some confusion because a shadowseer in the eldar codex is more like a warlock, where as they are equal to a farseer in the fluff.

IJW
15-11-2006, 23:49
Harlequins originally had psykers called Warlocks and High Warlocks, so I don't see any problem with Shadowseers staying as unit upgrade Warlock-equivalents, and something like a High Seer being added as a Farseer-equivalent.

Voronwe[MQ]
26-11-2006, 14:11
Neither do I. Why should the Silent Dancers represent the Rhana Dandra? Perhaps I'm not too schooled in Eldar, but I thought that it was far more dependant on which patterns, cycles etc. in the dance for representing the Final Battle or whatevr it is called.

Bregalad
26-11-2006, 14:52
Silent Dancer? Rhana Dandra?
You are probably in the wrong thread, as both are not topic here. Rhana Dandra is discussed here:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57497
Don't know what silent dancers are (Solitaires?).

carl
26-11-2006, 15:07
Don't know what silent dancers are (Solitaires?).

I think he's talking about Mimes.

Voronwe[MQ]
26-11-2006, 15:41
No, they was mentioned in another thread which also discussed the dormant plans for a Codex: Harlequins and Codex: Exodites.

t-tauri
26-11-2006, 15:54
We're getting seriously off topic here. Let's keep this on the subject of a possible Harlequins codex and take background discussion to the appropriate forum.

t-tauri

The Warseer Inquisition

Flagg07
26-11-2006, 16:17
Here's a theory involving the Dark Eldar codex:

Perhaps the Dark Eldar codex won't focus entirely on the Dark Eldar. Perhaps it will be more about non-Craftworld Eldar with an emphasis on Dark Eldar but also include corsairs, Exodites and an expanded Harlequin list?

Just a theory...

By God I think you're on to something. Meaning, I think this would have been the way to go with DE's when GW 1st introduced them. Unfotunately, I don't think it will play out like that. We're stuck with S&M Eldar. Harleys in the DE Dex would be cool though.

Bregalad
26-11-2006, 17:35
Problem with Harlequins in a DE Codex is that 70% will then use Harlequins for Slave hunting, which is not appropriate.

WhatsHisName
26-11-2006, 20:40
something tells me with the release of the new eldar codex with the haliquins in says that they wont have a new codex purly for harliquins.IMO

martin

Sergeant Tanthius
27-11-2006, 05:03
Perhaps Harlies in the DE codex will have the rule that they can't use the Slave hunting rule/can't be used in those scenarios or they can have the rule that they can only be used against chaos? Pure speculations.

I hope by the time they make C: DE they could make C: Eldar Outcasts instead, containing Exodites, Harlies, pirates and DE. It's just a dim little hope...:cries:

static grass
27-11-2006, 08:38
Problem with Harlequins in a DE Codex is that 70% will then use Harlequins for Slave hunting, which is not appropriate.

I don't think the harlequins give a flying Mon-Keigh about imperials or any other xenos. The dark eldar are eldar and fight the same fight as the craftworld eldar. Okay so their methods are completely different... but seen from the harlequins point of veiw which is more likely to succeed? Buying off slaneesh with the souls of xenos or by trying to resurrect the eldar god of the dead? Never the less the goal is the same to save the eldar from slaneesh. So I think the Harlies are just as likely to help both in their impossible objectives.

So I believe that Harlies are completely feasible in a DE codex.

Voronwe[MQ]
27-11-2006, 11:50
something tells me with the release of the new eldar codex with the haliquins in says that they wont have a new codex purly for harlequins.

Or rather that there will not be a release of it in this edition.

John Vaughan
05-12-2006, 14:28
I certainly hope they dont release them. I fought a mock version of them, and they annihilated my SM army. They may be sissy looking compared to the marines, but they are hard core! :confused:

UltimateNagash
05-12-2006, 14:39
I certainly hope they dont release them. I fought a mock version of them, and they annihilated my SM army. They may be sissy looking compared to the marines, but they are hard core! :confused:

Well, I doubt anyone has any sympothy for you - and saying they look sissy isn't a good idea.
I'm thinking GW might release one after all the basic Codex updates - then they can deviate and do the odd stuff.

Arhalien
05-12-2006, 14:45
Ykes, I thought this thread had died without a trace.

Kriegsherr
05-12-2006, 18:56
Perhaps Harlies in the DE codex will have the rule that they can't use the Slave hunting rule/can't be used in those scenarios or they can have the rule that they can only be used against chaos? Pure speculations.

I hope by the time they make C: DE they could make C: Eldar Outcasts instead, containing Exodites, Harlies, pirates and DE. It's just a dim little hope...:cries:

And croneworld eldar... please :)

Seriously though, I rather have them make a codex for one of these subcultures of eldar right than a mixed codex that noone could care less about.

I mean... DE need a complete revamp of their miniatures. IF the ork boyz are redone like rumours make us believe... then every single miniature in the DE line has deserved the same treatment.

Exodites.... there are no miniatures around that would lend themselves for conversions, and GW seems not to be willing anymore to supply armylists for converters... so another complete army to do.

Harlies... one unit doesn't makes an army. Nor do two units, or three. And as said, the armylists for converters are a thing of the past.
Army number three to do, minus the standert troops choice (or maybe this would belong even more in the fast-attack section).

Croneworlders... okay, I admit, almost everyone is bashing the idea of mutated chaos eldar of slanesh, and they seem to share a lot of similarities with dark eldar, so I will probably never get them :p

All in all to much stuff to do this edition, the next one or that after.

We must be happy if they finally decide to redo the dark eldar. After all, it seems GW is not even happy with their theme and (very rare) background... and we all know what fate such armies face sometimes ;)
Harlies could just have been added to the current eldar codex to silence the harlie fans for a moment. Or make their demands for their own codex less viable....

Bregalad
05-12-2006, 20:57
Croneworlders... okay, I admit, almost everyone is bashing the idea of mutated chaos eldar of slanesh, and they seem to share a lot of similarities with dark eldar, so I will probably never get them :p

Read C.S. Goto novels, any of them. You will be one of the few persons enjoying them ;) Every second Eldar in there is a Slaanesh follower, esp. on his pet craftworld Kaelor (stort story Tears of Blood in "Tales from the Dark Millenium" and the forthcoming novel "Eldar Prophecy").

carl
05-12-2006, 21:16
C.S.Goto is the reason so many people hate the idea of Croneworld Eldar. He's bassiclly butchered the concept badly from what i can tell. with obvious results. See my sig for a funny quote about Goto made on these forums:p.

Sergeant Tanthius
06-12-2006, 04:43
Exodites.... there are no miniatures around that would lend themselves for conversions, and GW seems not to be willing anymore to supply armylists for converters... so another complete army to do.

Harlies... one unit doesn't makes an army. Nor do two units, or three. And as said, the armylists for converters are a thing of the past.
Army number three to do, minus the standert troops choice (or maybe this would belong even more in the fast-attack section).

Exodites = Lizardmen (Eldar + Woodelves)

As for Harlequins they were in the citadel journal in the last edition, and was a legal, but not tourny approved, army with the "codex" downloadable on GW web.

Croneworlders are rarely seen and even rarer fought, the only race that really cares about them is Chaos and Eldar...Exodites and Harlequins often encounter Imperial forces due to colonisation of Eldar Maiden Worlds and Exodite Worlds.

EDIT: Rarely seen and even rarer seen... What was I thinking?

Kriegsherr
06-12-2006, 09:40
Exodites = Lizardmen (Eldar + Woodelves)

As for Harlequins they were in the citadel journal in the last edition, and was a legal, but not tourny approved, army with the "codex" downloadable on GW web.

Yeah I know... I would be very happy if the "unapproved" "chapterapproved" armylists return.
I mean, kroot mercs, feral orks, harlies and other stuff... they were not really playtested and could generate quite insane over- or underpowered armies, but they were quite fun to play with or against.

Sadly as far as I see it, GW won't do anything like that in the near future. For more and for less understandable reason. True, the lack of playtesting was an issue. But I think its more a problem that their newest shiney toy isn't promoted by such an armylist (okay, harlies would make sense at the moment ;). And of course, that their GamesDev Team is understaffed.

So I think, IF they do any list in the future, it will have the format of a full blown codex. THAT means it must be enough different from existing armies and enough fleshed out in terms of possible choices to deserve a full blown codex.
and of course, it'll take a looong time until all marine codices are done ;)

Voronwe[MQ]
06-12-2006, 11:46
Read C.S. Goto novels, any of them. You will be one of the few persons enjoying them ;) Every second Eldar in there is a Slaanesh follower, esp. on his pet craftworld Kaelor (stort story Tears of Blood in "Tales from the Dark Millenium" and the forthcoming novel "Eldar Prophecy").

I suppose the 'prophecies' will be like some game-like predetermined-by-fate way of showing a lot of Eldar dying...

Semi-jokes and semi-sarcasms aside, I looks forward to this novel. Novels not dealing with fights and the surroundings of the fights all through is very interesting, and from what I've heard (or at least interpreted from what I've heard) it will be a novel more like 'Shira Calpurnia' and less like 'Dawn of War'.

If anything, Goto's spirit is actually the right, but I hope he doesn't let himself be restricted by deadlines etc and gives it a whole lot of thought and interesting new ideas.

Lotharion
06-12-2006, 15:16
I have considered doing a current eldar dex army themed as an Harlequin army. Shakes out something like this:

autarch = Great Harlequin; Farseer = High Warlock; Jain Zar = Solitaire
Harlequin troupe= harlequin troupe
Storm Guardians = Mimes (the downside is they have to take a leadership test or be trapped in invisible boxes.. lol)
Shining Spears = harlequin bikers
Vypers = harlequin vypers (there's no "old" equivilant, but there weren't vypers back then...
I never thought Venoms were appropriate, so no sub-out there... Dark reapers could be passable Death Jesters though obviously w/ the wrong weapons.

Having said all that, the rfeason I'm posting on the RUMOR thread is b/c I havne't found anything yet hinting to the release date of the new Harlie troupe models. Anyone know?

John Vaughan
17-12-2006, 22:27
I'm still trying to understand how people are crazing over such silly looking deadlies. I laughed at them when I fought them, and they were my doom. I can't bear to look at them, they just don't belong on the battlefield, with the funny checker pattern and whatnot.

Hermanesq
17-12-2006, 22:30
Having said all that, the rfeason I'm posting on the RUMOR thread is b/c I havne't found anything yet hinting to the release date of the new Harlie troupe models. Anyone know?

Easter, iirc the local manager correctly

Chris

Captain Micha
17-12-2006, 23:13
I am weak guys lol
I just bought the classic line harlies due to gw saying "no harlies before xmas" I got the shadow seer and the High avatar (the one in blue and black you know the nice looking one lol) What I am going to do with them I dunno given that those will be my only two dar minis for quite a while. (thinking the shadowseer will be my farseer and that the high avatar will be my autarch.

marv335
17-12-2006, 23:20
i've got a box of about a dozen harlequins somewhere with a solitaire and a couple of death jesters, and i don't even play eldar. you know how you pick things up over the years....

must try and dig them out.

Alaryel
20-12-2006, 16:00
I don't know if it is fresh news but in GW france you can find the way the harlequins box and blister wil be realesed :

http://fr.games-workshop.com/40k/eldars/galerie/harlequins.asp

-Arlequins (box of 6 models)
-Troupe master (blister)
-Shadowseer (blister)
-Deathjester (blister)
-Harlequins with harlequins kiss (blister of 2)
-Harlequins with fusion pistols (blister of 2)

Bregalad
20-12-2006, 18:48
It is fresh news, thanks. There are two pics missing still ;)

Sergeant Tanthius
21-12-2006, 03:01
Thank God they are selling the kiss-quins in blisters as well as box sets. i freaked out when I saw the description on the AUS site. It seemed like they are selling a useless DJ to every 5 harlequins I need.

The two missing pics are the Shadowseer and the Master. They are in the rumor roundup section. It feel great when I'm the one who gets these kinda pics and info in my area. :D

BTW, is there a fan 4th ed Harlie list floating around? I've heard of one but never seen one.

BTBTW, Would it be possible to influence GW game-dev team by sending these fan-dices?

Alaryel
21-12-2006, 07:40
It is fresh news, thanks. There are two pics missing still ;)

The page is not "ready" yet. (In fact, there is no link to the page)
I just found it by testing some adresses :)

Bregalad
21-12-2006, 10:08
That will teach them ... :p

carl
21-12-2006, 10:23
Well it IS a .asp address:p.

FarseerUshanti
29-12-2006, 21:04
Not sure if has been told here, but the release date for some portion of the new Harlequins is April 14th. I got this from some friends who live in the U.K. plus here is a link to a poster reporting the same info.

It is down towards the bottom of the page posted by Reborn.
link (http://www.40konline.com/mos/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=861&topic=127329.0)

konradkurze
30-12-2006, 18:29
I play chaos but as soon as the harlies are released im geting three squads of them. A harlie codex would be much needed annd appreiceated .

Jon_Irenicus
30-12-2006, 18:44
I would love to see Harlequins released on the 1st of April.

Captain Lysander360
31-12-2006, 17:09
a harlequin codex wouldnt be badbut there would be few troops to feild becoz there high points cost

UltimateNagash
31-12-2006, 18:20

I'll make one for then if you like :D

Sergeant Tanthius
01-01-2007, 23:33

Wouldn't that be ironic...:D

Oh well, at least we have a set date to look at.

Caleidoscope
03-01-2007, 11:00
i am making my own harlequin theme army. I dug up my old Harlequins back from the start of the nineties (my first 40k army actually) and i'm spicing them up with some pathfinders and two of the new Wraithlords (i luuuuv plastic) and some bikes. I took the Necron God and and turned him into the Laughing God as my Avatar ('e's perfect for that) a lot of colours and *puff* you got a harlequin army - but still - a Codex would be nice.

Happy New Year

Messiah
03-01-2007, 17:50

Hear hear!

Zzarchov
03-01-2007, 18:25

Couldn't the exact same sort of things be said about Grey Knights, Assassins and the Inquisition in General?

Hell, even the space marines could really fit into that category.

You don't play 40k to play the "most common" battle, otherwise we'd all play Orks and Imperial Guard. You play to have the battle you'd like to see fought. So an all Harlie list is fine.

IJW
03-01-2007, 18:30
Not to forget that Harlequins are the ones who make no distinction between war and performance - and we're getting a bit off-topic here...

Sergeant Tanthius
04-01-2007, 00:28
That's because there IS no rumour for Harlequins...

Oh well. Is there any possibility of sending GW a fan-dex to get it approved?

IncrediSteve
04-01-2007, 00:37
About as much possibility as your colon exploding in the next 45 seconds.

LostTemplar
04-01-2007, 11:50
*Explosion heard in the background* Whoops, couldn't resist.

Regardless, the Harlequins are stupidly rare, and I'd bet they are even rarer than daemon Hunter Grey Knights.

So no Dex, though I reckon the Harlequins would have been better represented in the form of a Daemon Hunter Eldar Codex choice, ie, one that coudl be added to an Eldar Army if you had the Daemon Hunters codex.

Sergeant Tanthius
04-01-2007, 22:40
Sigh...oh well. Such is GW's policy.

Fluffwise they aren't rare. They come out as often as Dark Eldar actually. GW just did the same thing they did to you-know-what...:p

Gah! so much talk but still no Harlies codex.

taedore
05-01-2007, 02:58
Honestly, do what I do, use proxies or write your own and get your friends approval. I don't play in competitions can't stand the rules, hell I just collect and paint and then use cover to my advantage in what few games I play.

Still no losses, so I guess cover is a good thing, oh yeah and tactical deployment and re-deployment, yeah that weird thing of hitting your oppenent when he really doesn't want to be hit.

Kriegsherr
05-01-2007, 09:50
Couldn't the exact same sort of things be said about Grey Knights, Assassins and the Inquisition in General?

Hear hear again.

An Inquisitor expansion for Harlie warbands and maybe some 52mm miniatures would be great... This is the scale where harlies really would come into action and it could do their insane tech and psi-powers much more justice (just look at how insane marines are in =I=)

Messiah
05-01-2007, 11:02

Seriously, space marines do not fit that bill. But youre right about the others. Kinda bothers me too when Grey knights come to every battle a friend of mine plays.

Kriegsherr
05-01-2007, 12:54
Seriously, space marines do not fit that bill. But youre right about the others. Kinda bothers me too when Grey knights come to every battle a friend of mine plays.

yeah, especially as they are specialists that are held back to battle Demons whenever and whereever they appaer... its a big waste of resources when grey knights are thrown against xenos, and I think there are not many reasons why GK would defend an imperial world against something other than demons instead of just retreating to the nearest imperial stronghold and let the MIB (Marines in Black ;)) or the Witchhunters (or some imperial army for a change? :)) do their work.

But then again, as an opponent you should maybe once or twice use the demon rules in codex DH to actually give him a reason to fight against your army? I mean, they put in that rules for exact this reason, so that the GKs opponent can use the army of his choice even though the GKs only come for a fight when they can own some poor demon.

Iyou are playing Eldar as your Avatar suggests, why not use the same (the Avatar that is) against him? Its a very good reason for an imperial player to field the demon hunters, as Avatars are seen as greater demons by the ordo malleus (or at least by the Inquisitors that don't know any better and don't believe what some eldar-friendly heretics tell), and they are treated exactly like demons in Codex DH. I assume that its quite likely that the GK are called when an Avatar is giving the imperial army problems during a longer war. And some greedy Inquisitors that always wanted to gater some forbidden informations about the Avatar for a long time will be following them ;)

Like someone else in this thread said: the games you play are not about the most likely encounters, but they are about the encounters that are most interesting for both opponents. Even if this encounters are highly unlikely (like tau fighting other tau). There is always a reason to make if work fluffwise, it sometimes just needs some agreements among the players.