PDA

View Full Version : 2250pt Empire List (Infantry heavy)

szlachcic
12-11-2006, 20:19
I have always wanted to start an Empire army and finally with the upcoming release of the new book (and some wonderful models) I am actually going to start building one. I really like the whole "steam-punk" aspect and wanted to have some sort of machine cult (yes, slightly borrowed from 40k, but that is where the similarities will end) that is on the rise. Basically the army is led by the leader of the cult (warrior priest) and he has converted a lesser known noble to his cause. The noble uses his private army to serve as the core of the army and is himself the battle standard bearer to show his devotion to the cause. Originally I wanted to do some sort of religious themed army, but this was more appealing to me so I basically combined a religious theme with a Nuln-esqe, gunpowder theme. I compilied this list using the points that are thought to be in the 7th Edition Empire book so some things may not be right when it comes out. I just wanted to get a rough outline to get started.

Warrior Priest - General, HW, HA, Enchanted Shield, Van Horstman's Speculum
Leader of the "cult", basically used to buff units and challenge big nasty characters

Captain - BSB, Armor of Meteoric Iron
Help keep infantry from breaking, armor is there to increase resiliance in combat

Battle Wizard - lvl 1, Dispel scroll, Wizards Staff
Will use the metal lore or fire lore, and will use the staff to have a good chance of casting the base spell every turn

Master Engineer - Repeater Handgun, Doomfire Ring
Used to help support artillery, and protect it from fast cav. He is mainly in the list to support theme

25 Halberdiers - Full command
Detachment - 10 Free company

25 Spearmen - Full command
Detachment - 10 Free company, 5 Handgunners

25 Swordsmen - Full command
Detachment - 10 Free company, 5 Handgunners

10 Handgunners - Marksman

20 Flagellants - PoD
I wanted one of each type of melee state troop in the list so that I didn't just have the same unit over and over. I am not sold on the detachments but I definately want the free company to represent new followers to the cult. I just wanted small units of handgunners to support the gunpowder aspect, but they aren't meant to be terribly effective. Under the new rules apparently a unit of Flagellants counts as Core if you have a Warrior Priest. These are representing the more fanatical followers of the cult

5 Pistoliers

5 Outriders

Great Cannon
I did not want to use any knights since I thought they would break the theme and therefore went with the cavalry that carried gunpowder weapons. I also love the new models for the Pistoliers and the Outriders so they were an obvious choice for my list. The cannon is self explanitory

Helstorm Rocket Battery

Steam Tank
This part of the list is probably the most experimental portion as I don't really know the true rules and points for the Rocket and the Tank in the new book. I do like how they fit with the theme though

Like I said this is based off the new rules so it is likely to change, but I just wanted to see what people think. I have some extra points to spend if the points I used were accurate so I can add a few little options here and there (like engineer items) but that will be about it. Any commments would be appreciated.

PMTN
14-11-2006, 19:40
Okay we don't have the book yet but this is my opinion on what you should do if you want this type of army (according to last codex and expected new codex rumours)

Altodorf is the best for this type of army as it holds the school of engineers. A religious leader doesn't really fit but it could work.

Mine is a engineer army that is suprisingly remenicent of this. I would advise simply putting guns etc on knights if you want to use them and that goes with any unit, a unit of 6 knights will be such an advantage tactically.

RIght if you want to go for cheese i have sculpted an engineer onto a back of a griffon, and in conjunction with a gun line and steam tank well you can see how my games end up. But as i would usually get shouted at ect for using such an obviously stupid army. I would get rid of the warrior priest and go for an elector count on foot, the leadership will be a life saver, keep the BSB as he is, just go for two straight dispel scorlls on you wizard (although that a personal choice). Master engineer place him on a horse put him in your pistolers with the Speclum on him then flank charge the heaviset unit u can find.

I would go for swordsmen but each to his own (plus halbadiers are excellent fluff), the detachments i usually never go for 5 men sqauds of handgunners they will do little/no damage, usea a 5 man unit of free company march them infront of your main units put them at an angle then flee them = perfects flank charge on their unit.

Flaggelants will ofcourse now be rare without the preist i would smallen the size of the unit anyway and have 6 across 2 ranks (12men).

You need another cannon turst me on this.

Steam tank, im not sure whats going to happen with the new rules but hmmmmmmmmm im preety sure they r either going to up the points or down the power. With present rules plz put a mortar or something original (the no guns version would suit the warrior priest theme of crazy mechanised zealots) on it beacuse even i know the hellblaster is above the lvl of evil.

RIght hope this helps

szlachcic
14-11-2006, 21:06
Okay we don't have the book yet but this is my opinion on what you should do if you want this type of army (according to last codex and expected new codex rumours)

Altodorf is the best for this type of army as it holds the school of engineers. A religious leader doesn't really fit but it could work.

I like the idea of some sort of "steam" priest, but I will definitely be looking at an Elector count as well to give a boost in leadership.

Mine is a engineer army that is suprisingly remenicent of this. I would advise simply putting guns etc on knights if you want to use them and that goes with any unit, a unit of 6 knights will be such an advantage tactically.

RIght if you want to go for cheese i have sculpted an engineer onto a back of a griffon, and in conjunction with a gun line and steam tank well you can see how my games end up. But as i would usually get shouted at ect for using such an obviously stupid army. I would get rid of the warrior priest and go for an elector count on foot, the leadership will be a life saver, keep the BSB as he is, just go for two straight dispel scorlls on you wizard (although that a personal choice). Master engineer place him on a horse put him in your pistolers with the Speclum on him then flank charge the heaviset unit u can find.

I really don't want to use knights and since this is a themed army I am not worrying to much about how much certain units are worth. I also don't want to go with a gun line since I have heard they are boring to use, and I hate being on the recieving end of one. I like your idea with the engineer, and in the new book I could give him the mechanical steed to increase the power of the charge.

I would go for swordsmen but each to his own (plus halbadiers are excellent fluff), the detachments i usually never go for 5 men sqauds of handgunners they will do little/no damage, usea a 5 man unit of free company march them infront of your main units put them at an angle then flee them = perfects flank charge on their unit.

Flaggelants will ofcourse now be rare without the preist i would smallen the size of the unit anyway and have 6 across 2 ranks (12men).

You need another cannon turst me on this.

I really want to have a diversity of foot soldiers so that is why I do not take swordsmen exclusively. I might drop the 5 man Handgunner detachments but we will see. Again, they are there more for theme reasons and not really to do massive amounts of damage. I think I am going to need more than 12 Flagellents under the new rules as they are no longer toughness 4 and you have to sacrifice some for the special rules (except unbreakable, which I assume they still have). I will have to see what I can do to fit in another cannon, but with some trimming it shouldn't be too hard.

Steam tank, im not sure whats going to happen with the new rules but hmmmmmmmmm im preety sure they r either going to up the points or down the power. With present rules plz put a mortar or something original (the no guns version would suit the warrior priest theme of crazy mechanised zealots) on it beacuse even i know the hellblaster is above the lvl of evil.

RIght hope this helps

The Steam Tank is only offered in the plain version under the new rules I believe and will act more like a very hard chariot. It is the same points as the old one. It shouldn't be looked at as cheesy though since they got rid of all of that hull point mess. Thanks for all of the comments!