PDA

View Full Version : PC-game Battlefield2 now a Miniature Tabletop?!

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
13-11-2006, 12:45
I just recently found out that coming next year's January there will be a Tabletop game in 28mm scale called BATTLEFIELD EVOLUTION.

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/series.php?qsSeries=47

Based upon the today's and near future battlefields this game will include European Task Force, the USMC, the Middle Eastern Coaliation Forces, the People Libariation Army (China) and British Forces.

All armies will be provided ALL vehicle, attack-helicopter and infantry choices which you know out of Battlefield2 (PC). They are all pre-painted and ready to be played out of the box.
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m185/Plasmasturm/Battlefield/bfeusmcarmy.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m185/Plasmasturm/Battlefield/bfeplat99battle.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m185/Plasmasturm/Battlefield/bfeplaarmy.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m185/Plasmasturm/Battlefield/bfemeaplabattle.jpg

Starting January the realeses will go on every month of the new year.

Developed is this game from the same guys who sell the Starship Troopers tabletop.

I am a really big Battlefield2 fan so I'm considering to buy myself some of the minis (and if the rules don't suit me right - I always can grab my Imperial Guard 40k Codex and do some own).

Have you heard of it too? Or do you even have more info on this topic?
Please share it with us.

baphomael
13-11-2006, 13:19
I just recently found out that coming next year's January there will be a Tabletop game in 28mm scale called BATTLEFIELD EVOLUTION.

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/series.php?qsSeries=47

Based upon the today's and near future battlefields this game will include European Task Force, the USMC, the Middle Eastern Coaliation Forces, the People Libariation Army (China) and British Forces.

All armies will be provided ALL vehicle, attack-helicopter and infantry choices which you know out of Battlefield2 (PC). They are all pre-painted and ready to be played out of the box.

Starting January the realeses will go on every month of the new year.

Developed is this game from the same guys who sell the Starship Troopers tabletop.

I am a really big Battlefield2 fan so I'm considering to buy myself some of the minis (and if the rules don't suit me right - I always can grab my Imperial Guard 40k Codex and do some own).

Have you heard of it too? Or do you even have more info on this topic?
Please share it with us.

Battlefield Evolution is not an official "Battlefield 2" tabletop game, I dont think. It just happens to share the name "Battlefield" and happens to have, pretty much, the same factions in the game too. Its similar to, but not the same as, battlefield 2.

As a point of note, the British arnt a seperate faction. At the moment they are the first main faction of the European Task Force. Later on they should be releasing units for other European nations.

wally
13-11-2006, 13:21
now if some one would be nice enuf to post some scale pics

Charax
13-11-2006, 14:27
I love Mongoose. They get cool licenses and do great things with them.

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
13-11-2006, 14:48
Battlefield Evolution is not an official "Battlefield 2" tabletop game, I dont think. It just happens to share the name "Battlefield" and happens to have, pretty much, the same factions in the game too. Its similar to, but not the same as, battlefield 2.

(....).

Yes, probably right. Anyway the idea is great-my friends and I actually decided to do something like this using a mix of WH40k and Necromunda rules, using ImpGuard as armies but now I guess we use this minis.

Pre-painted or not, a coat of primer and a few brush using hours later they can be altered in any way you want, don't they?

General Samuel of the 101
13-11-2006, 15:27
Is it not licensed,and has the same factions,soldiers and vehicles than BF2
i smell a Sue coming from EA........

Lainer
13-11-2006, 15:55
Is it not licensed,and has the same factions,soldiers and vehicles than BF2
i smell a Sue coming from EA........

So you have to get EA's permission to use american, chinese a and middle eastern forces in a game? 90% of the worlds conflicts are in theese regions. As long as they use real-life equipent and vehicles (and not equipment that EA have invented) they shouldn't be in any danger.

13-11-2006, 15:59
No,you dont have too
but having a name like Battlefield Evolution,and the same factions might Confuse people
something that IP Monsters like GW and EA does not like

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
13-11-2006, 16:32
No,you dont have too
but having a name like Battlefield Evolution,and the same factions might Confuse people
something that IP Monsters like GW and EA does not like

And even if - why worry? Personly I don't give a %&$§ if GW or EA don't like it. First of it - if they are worried to loose THAT much money (not that it would hurt 'em) why didn't they manage to bring out some tabletop-fan-kit?

Because they did not even think about it.

And now - IF (nothing has been done in this direction so far) they bring the games's developer to the court then all they probably can do is having them doing a name change for their game.

Sure, I totally agree it is confusing how much similarity is ín the miniatures they will bring out compared to those in EA's pc game but as some others have said already, I think there is no way to stop a game having modern armies in the look of today's military forces of the world in it.

Or did EA sue the idea behind the FLAMES OF WAR tabletop because there is war on the table between axis and allied forces in a WW2 arena --hey I hear EA scream: "You stole it from Call of Duty1 + 2!! How dare you!"
Come on, really ??:D

baphomael
13-11-2006, 17:49
Or did EA sue the idea behind the FLAMES OF WAR tabletop because there is war on the table between axis and allied forces in a WW2 arena --hey I hear EA scream: "You stole it from Call of Duty1 + 2!! How dare you!"
Come on, really ??:D

Well, they might have had a bit of a problem if Battlefront called their game "Call of Duty: Evolution" instead, though.

13-11-2006, 18:06
i was putting GW as a Example,and what Baphomael spoke is true
now returning to topic
it me or everyday i see more prepainted wargames?

Pokpoko
13-11-2006, 18:58
Well, they might have had a bit of a problem if Battlefront called their game "Call of Duty: Evolution" instead, though.
i don't think you can even copyright the word "battlefield",not anymore than you can copyright words like "tomato" or "Europe":confused:
of course, if they do **** off the EA law division i'd be even more pleased:skull: (less so if said Division would sue them of course)

as for the game itself-you can kick amrikans in a miniature game with european army-a fitting response after buying fighter planes that took a week to fly over the atlantic:P

IG_Airborne_Ranger
13-11-2006, 19:10
Guys, GW suing other TT games for similarities in FICTIONAL objects,places, and story is one thing. But you can't copyright things based on REAL military hardware and armies. It's like saying Battlefield 2 ripped off Counter Strike because they both have M16 and AK47 rifles! I mean do you know how many different military video games from different game companies have blackhawk helicopters featured??

Seriously, this is just a case of common sense.

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
13-11-2006, 19:26
i was putting GW as a Example,and what Baphomael spoke is true
now returning to topic
it me or everyday i see more prepainted wargames?

Yeah. Seems to me, too. Like At-43 wich comes along with pre-painted minis as well. But that does not bother me, as I would still be able to paint them over anyway.

@ the guy who said "You cannot save copyrights of the word battlefield.
I checked my box of the pc game: Battlefield isn't cpoyrighted with a registered trademark but BATTLEFIELD 2 is "TM"ed, means a registered product (the word and the number behind in a row).:)

But what I would really be interested in: Would you folks play it? Or think for example in using the minis and develope some kind of own rules, to combine it for example with your existing 40k terrain and tables. Any replies to that?

Pokpoko
13-11-2006, 19:57
well, i guessed as much, that the phrase BF 194x/2/2142 would be copyrighted;)

as forthe game itself-if they sell it in my shop,and there are at least 3 more players, i will. the rules are supposed to be based on the existing SST ruleset, which is the best i'v used so far.
the terrain would be a bit of a problem if you prefer realism, since CoD ruins hardly fit the contemporary building style:D

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
13-11-2006, 20:09
well, i guessed as much, that the phrase BF 194x/2/2142 would be copyrighted;)

as forthe game itself-if they sell it in my shop,and there are at least 3 more players, i will. the rules are supposed to be based on the existing SST ruleset, which is the best i'v used so far.
the terrain would be a bit of a problem if you prefer realism, since CoD ruins hardly fit the contemporary building style:D

So do my friends and I. Well, ok CoD bulidings wouldn't suit it right but I guess you all have some rocks or hills, some trees and stuff, don't you?

Pokpoko
13-11-2006, 20:17
well, to be frank, no:D oh sure, there is this aquarium rock, two or three broken GW jungle twigs, but i generaly play at the shop, or using a "cost-efficient terrain system" AKA paper+scisorrs+pen to write what kind of terrain it is;)

but that's way too OT:D

Stingray_tm
14-11-2006, 16:04
Companies have been sued for stupider reasons, so let's see, if this game get's renamed to "Call of Honor: Battlefield of Duty" or something ;)

But i wouldn't care. I like the setting, but i don't like the modells. I outright hate the tanks.

If they get the Bundeswehr and the Leopard 2 right, i may reconsider, but until then, i pass.

Senbei
14-11-2006, 17:01
On the bright side...

http://www.miniaturescenery.com/SeriesPage.asp?Code=SH

CNC's "I can't believe they're not Orky" Buildings could make some passable Middle eastern buildings....

The Ape
15-11-2006, 11:12
EA could argue trademark infringment if they could prove that people would think that Battlefield Evolution is by the makers of Battlefield 2.

All Mongoose would have to do is change the name.

Trademarks and copyright are not the same thing.

firestorm40k
15-11-2006, 12:09
So long as I have the money, I will be getting this game and at least one of the factions. I'm not sure which; I might get the British & US Marines, just for the perversity of having GB fight the US... :p

The fact that the minis are pre-painted has swayed it in favour of buying it, as my current backlog of 40k/Epic/BFG armies would seriously put me off doing anymore.

It's the same with AT-43, which I really like the look of the miniatures and the sound of the background, the fact they're pre-painted is a bonus.

Outlaw289
28-11-2006, 03:36
too bad the tanks are badly scaled.

However, those troops would make great Veterans :D

Paddy
28-11-2006, 11:04
too bad the tanks are badly scaled.

Remember that the infantry are on bases, but the tanks are not. Just basing a 40K tank makes it look bigger, and I daresay the same is true with this.

swordwind
28-11-2006, 13:46
This thread reminds me of the guy way way back who throught the RTS Warzone 2100 was a wrestling game because of an earlier game called WWF: Warzone. By that line of thinking the estate of Robert Heinlein should sue Lucas because both products have Star in the name.

Hopefully they'll do what they said with SST and make prepainted to ship to stores and unpainted on the website.

Pokpoko
29-11-2006, 13:06
apparently in the next S&P(this friday)there will be the basic rules for BFE present.

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
29-11-2006, 16:33
apparently in the next S&P(this friday)there will be the basic rules for BFE present.

Err... really interested in this rules. Please, tell me what is S&P ?? (if necessary in a PM)

Pokpoko
29-11-2006, 17:06
oops.Signs and Portents, a free PDF mag produced by the Mongoose. all the past issues since 26 are availible here (http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/series.php?qsSeries=13)

Pokpoko
01-12-2006, 21:34
here's (http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/detail.php?qsID=1396&qsSeries=13)
the link to the mag containing the basic rules.

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
01-12-2006, 23:49
here's (http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/detail.php?qsID=1396&qsSeries=13)
the link to the mag containing the basic rules.

Just loaded my copy and read thru it... I don't know is it me or is that more or less like 4th edition 40k?? Except the LOS here is not just to a single model but to an area of 6inch around your target instead. Elseway its the same.

You roll for hit, you roll for wounds, you can do hits like "rending" hits, non-instant-dead targets may roll for armour.

Terrain makes hitting difficult similar like back in 2nd edition 40k.

But all in all it seems quite funny. Plus they show one new APC tank on the pics for China's army.

Pokpoko
02-12-2006, 11:06
s'cuse me?? there's no "TO HIT>TO WOUND" mechanics, it's all massed into the Target/Kill value, there is this little thing called reactions, the modles have actions instead of set "now move,bnow shoot,now assult" thing, there is distinctive lack of anything called assult phase or even resembling it...the units have saves and you roll to kill enemy models, and the game's in inches.yes, just like 40k;)

Scanno
02-12-2006, 13:59
Ah, so it's starship troopers with no bugs then?
Gotta download them rules later! And I'm in the middle of a BF2 craze at the moment. Think I've got a new army in the pipeline.

Pokpoko
02-12-2006, 15:58
Scanno-more or less. both SST and BFE are going to use the same "evolution" system, with differences(probably) only in the advanced rulebooks and in unit special rules. the EVO rules are basicly a cleared,clarified, geared-up rules that the SST uses now.

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
02-12-2006, 20:20
@Pokpoko:
Why? You roll against Target value. If its equal or higher, you've hit. If dice shows the equal or higher value of the Kill level it is removed instantly if the dice is lower as the Kill but equal/higher than Target, my enemy may attempt to save by his armour roll.

Ok-it is just one roll of dices. But I would still call that "to wound" :) The re-action sounds interesting. Something I miss in 40k..

N0-1_H3r3
03-12-2006, 10:18
@Pokpoko:
Why? You roll against Target value. If its equal or higher, you've hit. If dice shows the equal or higher value of the Kill level it is removed instantly if the dice is lower as the Kill but equal/higher than Target, my enemy may attempt to save by his armour roll.
The assumption in Starship Troopers was always that, given sufficiently advanced technology and sufficient ammunition, you will always hit eventually. Thus, the game dispenses with a separate roll to hit, and instead the shooting roll is all about whether or not you've actually done any damage.

Even if you see similarities, that's likely because the Starship Troopers system was developed by Andy Chambers, who wrote the last three versions of 40k. However, in practise, it feels very different - a lot faster paced, with fewer of those annoying rules that seem to make no sense whatsoever.

Nebëhr Gudahtt
03-12-2006, 12:22
I'd like to see a tabletop wargame that faces off the Copyright Whining Corporate Slaves against The Free Peoples of Pirateness.

Scanno
03-12-2006, 13:49
Hmm, read the rules, tis quite like SST, but that's a game I've always regretted not getting into. USMC force looking appealling at the moment, an abrhams supported by a couple of squads of infantry with some transports and maybe a Cobra would be a few evenings fun painting :)

IG_Airborne_Ranger
03-12-2006, 15:18
I just hope there will be special rules for each army/unit to represent their skills/training because from what I can read the ability to kill one's oppenent depends only on the weapon itself, I.E. it's range and deadliness.

Scanno
03-12-2006, 19:26
Yes, but each weapon is exclusively available to each faction, therefore the combined deadliness of user and weapon is taken into account in the stat.

Pokpoko
03-12-2006, 20:14
but(again, from what could be seen in those tiny scans in the article) all the basic guns we'v seen so far have exactly the same damage dice and rules. the euros and marianes have the cover bonus removal due to the Land Warrior?FISt, but that seems to be it.

and thanks god for that, i could see the flames rising over "USMC are teh Bestest! no, Chinese utilize training XYZ, so they clearly are better". i think that while a single marine may be better trained than a single frenchman, but in a game of squads and platoons it evens out-each squad has guys that shoot great,shoot worse, have terrible luck etc. so it realy evens out on the board.
of course i may be rambling about this, but i like that particular idea.

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
03-12-2006, 20:48
I recently found a shop over here in Germany that will sell the game for a good price. I guess I will buy myself a squad for two different countries each and maybe a battletank as well... just to have a try on the game first.

What I have read so far made me quite interested in the game. Looking forward how the "high standard pre-painted" minis really are in real live standing in front of me.

emperorpenguin
04-12-2006, 16:46
USMC force looking appealling at the moment, an abrhams supported by a couple of squads of infantry with some transports and maybe a Cobra would be a few evenings fun painting :)

They come pre-painted so no fun painting there! :p

Pokpoko
04-12-2006, 16:52
you can,like,repaint.you know, what you do with the minis you buy on ebay, and stuff:p.or add more details(i would, if i was playing the imperial,i mean, the US;) )

emperorpenguin
04-12-2006, 23:46
you can,like,repaint.you know, what you do with the minis you buy on ebay, and stuff:p.or add more details(i would, if i was playing the imperial,i mean, the US;) )

repaint camo schemes.... no thanks! :p

and same goes for the SST pre-paints, my skinnies are a lovely shade of yellow

colhodg
06-12-2006, 22:23
Figures look very nice and more like truescale than most metal moderns i've seen - tanks look interesting too - plastic? Great that they seem keen to further Andy Chambers 4th ed 40k that never was - it's a solid system with not a few fans.

Also interesting that this is the second sizeable 40k rival to announce a pre painted game release in the last month... will have to see how it sells before we can expect prepainted GW figs doubtful i imagine.

Tempting. If Mongoose consider a ww2 version i'll be there like a shot.

Pokpoko
06-12-2006, 22:46
according to the MGP forum-they alraeady are:D. i dunno however, if it's a personal project of one of the staff, or a fully supported "official" stuff.

Emperorpenguin-i was thinking more about the vehicles(i know, they are RW-painted, but i'm used to more..colorful models, so it nags me) than the infantry, especially since the inf. is imo very well painted(for me at least, i can't paint to save my life:D)

Scanno
07-12-2006, 10:31
I was going to do some sort of night-ops/swat scheme, in dark blues and blacks. The prepaints are nice, but I'd like to play with models, not toys (in a wierd, "I'm grown up, this is a mans hobby!" sort of way).

emperorpenguin
07-12-2006, 16:57
according to the MGP forum-they alraeady are:D. i dunno however, if it's a personal project of one of the staff, or a fully supported "official" stuff.

Emperorpenguin-i was thinking more about the vehicles(i know, they are RW-painted, but i'm used to more..colorful models, so it nags me) than the infantry, especially since the inf. is imo very well painted(for me at least, i can't paint to save my life:D)

It's Old Bear's project at the moment, but if BF:Evo is a hit I expect it'll get the official backing

I certainly can't paint camo to save my life! I'm happy with the pre-paint stuff. But for SST:Evo the chances of the Skinnies being in the same yellow as my current ones are very slim.......
So I'll have to strip the Venerable Marauder when it finally gets released!

FearFrost
08-12-2006, 04:58
Here is a question.

Is the turn a full "I move and shoot and do everything with my army, then you move and shoot with all of your army" kinda deal?

Or is it "I move activate a unit and do its stuff, you activate a unit...repeat"?

Ive never played SST, so Im a bit confused.

Scanno
08-12-2006, 10:51
Fearfrost, it is. There's an "I do all my stuff, you do all yours" system, with a twist. Each unit can do 2 actions (move, shoot, or ready, which you need to do to use certain weapons, or to get a shooting bonus). If there's an enemy unit within... 10" (I think) at the end of the action, they can react by either moving or shooting themselves, but can only shoot the unit who provoked the reaction. Units can always react if they're shot at, but can only react once per turn.

Pokpoko
08-12-2006, 11:06
plus, they can react to shooting from further than 10",iirc(well,if you can still see the target after they finished the action i guess:D).
anyway-the link to rules has been posted on the 2nd page, go read now;)

FearFrost
08-12-2006, 18:06
Fearfrost, it is. There's an "I do all my stuff, you do all yours" system, with a twist. Each unit can do 2 actions (move, shoot, or ready, which you need to do to use certain weapons, or to get a shooting bonus). If there's an enemy unit within... 10" (I think) at the end of the action, they can react by either moving or shooting themselves, but can only shoot the unit who provoked the reaction. Units can always react if they're shot at, but can only react once per turn.

Sweet, thanks for the clarification.

plus, they can react to shooting from further than 10",iirc(well,if you can still see the target after they finished the action i guess:D).
anyway-the link to rules has been posted on the 2nd page, go read now;)

Thanks! I did read it before I posted that, but it wasnt clear enough at first glance, hence me asking :)

emperorpenguin
08-12-2006, 19:14
Pics of more upcoming releases are available

British Warrior and Command Section
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/product_images/full_size/eftfbacommandscene.jpg

Fedayeen
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/product_images/full_size/bfemeafedayeenscene.jpg

Technicals
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/product_images/full_size/bfemeatechnicals.jpg

Scanno
08-12-2006, 21:40
Love the warrior, and the command section makes me think the brits might be a better choice than the yanks, fantastic models. The technicals are a bit... new looking. I've never seen anything on the news with brand new SUVs with m60s on the back, it's always a 15 year old toyota or something similar.

Brandir
03-01-2007, 21:45
Looks like Mongoose have been well, caught with their pants down:

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24386

They posted some pictures of these pre-painted models and they looked absolutely terrible. Trust me on this one, as Mongoose seem to have removed the offending images from their web site and forums. But the release minis look completely crap especially when compared to the pre-production and merchandising pics we have seen in this thread.

A bit of a jolt for Mongoose, especially when they were bragging on how the pre-production models were the same standard as the production models.

I wonder how thsi will affect sales?

erion
03-01-2007, 22:05
Well, mongoose has decided to release the sub-par models. If this goes badly for them it could impact the company very seriously. My understanding is that they've basically hung the future of their miniature games on this undertaking.

nanite
04-01-2007, 07:32
Mongoose's deleting dissenting threads really pushed me over the cynic-paranoid line.

Ever notice how nothing that ever goes wrong at mongoose is their fault? It's always a miscommunication/editor/sculptor/bad pictures/chinese new year that caused the problem.

Once these things happen often enough, it just starts to smell fishy, ya know?

erion
04-01-2007, 14:47
Well, I certainly won't be buying into BF:EVO at this point.

SST is sour for me as well, mostly because they put everything on hold to run after the next big thing (BF:EVO) and never delivered on some models that were in the original rulebook.

Maybe if they get things sorted out for Age of Conan, I'll give them a second look, but since that game has totally dropped off the Radar at the present time I don't hold out much hope.

Rykion
04-01-2007, 15:17
I will still probably pick up the rulebook, but the pricepoint is too high for the poor quality paint jobs. Mongoose Publishing has a long history of quality/quality control problems. They shouldn't have been caught with their pants down again. Even a small company should've had their own employee at the factory doing quality control before the product shipped.

erion
04-01-2007, 15:34
Apparently they've also begun deleting inidividual posts which question the quality of the models from within other threads.

On the mongoose boards, where moderation is unkown.

That's the beginning of the end, kids.

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
04-01-2007, 15:39
:shock:

I have watched the minis recently and I agree - they are below any fast painted TTstandard.... they are $411+y :eyebrows:

Really thought about purchasing but that lack of quality changes everything.

jazzdude78
04-01-2007, 16:30
Im pretty sure this is one of the sets of offending pictures
and looking at those says theyre no better than the SWM Ive bought (all one boosters)
and for the price theyre asking AT-43 seemingly wins this one hands down

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22241

somehow I think I forgot the link so edited

Pokpoko
04-01-2007, 19:03
yyh. said it, and will again-i'm seriously thinking of re-starting 40k after this little fskup, because unless they work a miracle and the SST minis will be far better than this in quality terms i can't see snowman's chance in hell for the games to really catch up...a spectacular failure, by all means:(

Scanno
05-01-2007, 14:25
That p[ic has disappeared too :(
Really want to see these things, did anyone download one?
I was planning on repainting mine anyway though...

Sorry for the double post, just found comparison photos: here (http://www.frothersunite.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9535&start=0) and the new ones look absolutely awful, even the sculpts have gotten worse! They look like toy soldiers you'd gt in a bucket, not miniatures! I won't be paying $30 for a squad of them anyway!

edit: oh, the mongoose website hass been updated with the new photos, the men look like they're melting, and the tanks seem to be constructed mostly of mould lines.

erion
05-01-2007, 15:03
Some Mongoose fanboy is over on their forums encouraging people to buy the shoddy minis as a sign of good faith in the company.

I couldn't help but wonder exactly why mongoose was deserving of good faith when it comes to their tabletop games? There has not been a single release from them for SST (and now BF:EVO) which has not been plagued by some combination of delay, bad sculpts, poor casting quality or bad miniature design. Some of the models from the original core book are still vaporware 20 months after the rules released.

Brandir
05-01-2007, 15:30
I have just noticed something; do Mongoose think that all UK and US soldiers will be white by 2015?

IG_Airborne_Ranger
05-01-2007, 17:14
I have just noticed something; do Mongoose think that all UK and US soldiers will be white by 2015?

Please, I'm not white myself but we DON'T need to bring the race issue in this discussion again. I say 'again' because it's already been discussed for a while over at mongooses forums. It has mostly to do with the fact that these minis are being pre painted in massive assembly line numbers. If you're offended by the lack of diversity then either paint the skins yourself or don't buy the models but please don't start up any accusations of racism here. It's bad enough we've got ****** soldiers that don't even LOOK human let alone human's of a certain ethnic background.

jazzdude78
05-01-2007, 18:06
Some Mongoose fanboy is over on their forums encouraging people to buy the shoddy minis as a sign of good faith in the company.

I couldn't help but wonder exactly why mongoose was deserving of good faith when it comes to their tabletop games? There has not been a single release from them for SST (and now BF:EVO) which has not been plagued by some combination of delay, bad sculpts, poor casting quality or bad miniature design. Some of the models from the original core book are still vaporware 20 months after the rules released.

Yknow the mongoose fanbois say that crap every time something goes bad with the minis that totally isnt mongooses fault :rolleyes:

erion
05-01-2007, 19:02
And I always say right back that it has to be nobody but Mongoose's fault. They're the ones who ultimately make the decision to release the product which isn't up to snuff. Just as they've now done with BF:EVO.

Spacemunkie
05-01-2007, 19:14
Paint quality on the Mongoose stuff is utter nadgers. How on earth do they expect to attract anyone to their games with the garbage sculpts and paintwork they knock out?

Saw the AT-43 starter box the other day - the walker jobbies are the best pre-painted things I've seen and the infantry are more than servicable. Rackham seem to be showing the way in pre-paints...

erion
05-01-2007, 19:39
Nadgers -- That's a new one for me... :)

As long as nadgers = bad, I agree.

Not To mention Mongoose is Recommending you buy two infantry squads and a tank to get started, which is like $85 per army. So you're out $170 to show the game to a friend if you follow their recommendations. As opposed to $80 including terrain for AT-43.

Wintermute
05-01-2007, 20:15

If you're offended by the lack of diversity then either paint the skins yourself or don't buy the models but please don't start up any accusations of racism here.

There is nothing in Brandir's post which I consider to be racist. If there was I would, at the very least, delete the post.

If you are not happy with a post, report it. Do not accuse or attack the poster yourself.

Wintermute
The WarSeer Inquisition

IG_Airborne_Ranger
05-01-2007, 20:23
There is nothing in Brandir's post which I consider to be racist. If there was I would, at the very least, delete the post.

If you are not happy with a post, report it. Do not accuse or attack the poster yourself.

Wintermute
The WarSeer Inquisition

Sorry sir, won't happen again. It's just that I know such posts (innocent or not) can lead to pointless arguments. I was just trying to point this out.

colhodg
06-01-2007, 02:07
I generally like what iv'e seen of mogoose's products but I think they'll struggle to get gamers converted with these.

disappointing.

nanite
06-01-2007, 06:27
I will still probably pick up the rulebook, but the pricepoint is too high for the poor quality paint jobs. Mongoose Publishing has a long history of quality/quality control problems. They shouldn't have been caught with their pants down again. Even a small company should've had their own employee at the factory doing quality control before the product shipped.

The rulebook is mostly useless since there's no unit stats. You need to buy the minis to get the unit cards.

This may not be the plan anymore, though.

Pokpoko
06-01-2007, 09:04
according to the statement in one of the topics on MG forum it IS the plan. no stats in the book.which is well, a mistake imo...

Brandir
06-01-2007, 09:08
Maybe Mongoose are planning on releasing packs of stat cards?

Wing Commander
06-01-2007, 11:24
Nope, the plan is that you´ll need to buy at least 1 set of their miniatures to get the stat cards! That way they sell more miniatures.
We have some preview samples of the range which, admittedly, aren´t as bad as the recent screenshots but also aren´t anywhere so good as the original pictures.
The response we´ve had from the non painters is "pretty good, I´d buy that", and from the painters "awful!". I guess those that don´t have the time / talent / aptitude for painting don´t mind that they´re not the best as the response appears to be "good enough".

Stingray_tm
06-01-2007, 11:47
That whole situation is ridiculous and will hurt Mongoose a lot.

I had some interest in Battlefield Evolution, but with this "quality" of prepainted models there is now way i would buy any of them. And the idea of buying the rules and then using other models doesn't work either. Hey even with great models i would never buy a product where i can't design an army list without buying every single model. And what about rules for my opponents? Am i supposed to buy models for armies i don't even play?
Nonsense!

erion
06-01-2007, 12:43
I'm still stunned at the people who are saying this isn't Mongoose's fault, but the manufacturer of the minis.

Mongoose is still ultimately responsible for product quality. The quick change from "we won't sell these" on Wednesday to "they aren't bad at all" On Thursday is proof enough of that for me.

Rykion
08-01-2007, 14:53
The rulebook is mostly useless since there's no unit stats. You need to buy the minis to get the unit cards.

This may not be the plan anymore, though.
Hiromoon, who can be found on the Mongoose forums, has posted his version of the stat cards on the net. Mongoose is aware of them and hasn't asked him to stop, so I'll use them. I would probably use the rules for Sci-Fi gaming, and only use unit stats as a starting point.

Pokpoko
08-01-2007, 17:13
uum...you know that there will be SF version of the rules, right?it's called Starship troopers, and the EVO version will follow the same basic rules:D

swordwind
08-01-2007, 21:04
uum...you know that there will be SF version of the rules, right?it's called Starship troopers, and the EVO version will follow the same basic rules:D

Its like the people who were making a World War 2 mod for Battlefield: Vietnam :D

Rykion
09-01-2007, 16:55
Sure do. I already have Mongoose's original Starship Troopers rules. No reason to wait for the new version to make a generic Sci-Fi game when I can use Battlefield Evolution.

Starship Troopers might be Sci-Fi, but there is a lot more Sci-Fi than just Starship Troopers.