PDA

View Full Version : Chariots in Pairs?

IronNerd
15-11-2006, 04:36
Another question from the noob. I've been told that you should either take 2 chariots or no chariots. Is it really that much better to take them in pairs? Why is this the case? Let me know what you think. Thanks

pcgamer72
15-11-2006, 05:05
The general consensus is that you need multiple chariots because it negates some of the randomness of them. If you have two, then you are more likely to get 6+ impact hits, plus the added attacks from the riders. With 2 chariots, you have a much much better chance at breaking a unit on the charge instead of getting stuck in combat (something chariots obviously aren't made for.)

Personally, I'll bring only one chariot and stick it on ranged unit duty (archers, thunderers, quarrelers, etc...) I also find that a single chariot can do just as well if you pair it with a flying character or another fast moving unit.

Iziuth
15-11-2006, 13:31
I ussually use two chariots. THe main reason is that if I used one it gets shot to bits (my regular opponents play dwarfs and empire). If I take two then at least one of them has a better chance of surviving, also as I play chaos and beast of chaos it doesn't cost me any special or rare slots. If it would I doubt I would take any chariots.

Slaaneshi Slave
15-11-2006, 14:10
I'm not an advocator of Chariots at all. I've had four of them charge my Chosen Warriors in a single turn, only to be cut down or run down by the warriors. :p

Avian
15-11-2006, 14:32
With the silly S7+ auto-destruct rule, if facing an army with a number of S7+ war machines, it is best to either take no chariots (and save the points for something else) or a lot of chariots (to make sure some will be left to reach the enemy). Take only a few chariots in this case and you are just handing the opponent easy VPs.

warlord hack'a
15-11-2006, 15:40
I always field at least two chariots, used to be two wolf ones and one orc one, but with the new O&G book with no longer two wolfchariots for one special choice I swapped to two boar ones and one wolf. For the 60 or 80 points they cost me they pack a LOT of punch adn also they give my mailny footsloggin army a lot of flexibility: one chariot on the flank can easily turn (it's free!) to face a threat, don't try that with a block of 25 boyz.

IronNerd
15-11-2006, 19:17
So with all these wonderful opinions on chariot-eering, here's another question. My current plan includes one chariot and 2 spear chukkas, and I want to fill the last special slot with another chariot or 2 more chukkas. The chukkas look like they would be good for cavalry, but the chariots add some more speed. Whatcha' think?

Shaitan
16-11-2006, 08:33
In general I would prefer to have 2 chariots and 2 Chukkas over 1 chariot and 4 Chukkas. If Chariots charge in pairs there is the possibility of breaking a ranked unit. Further they are nice support units for your infantry charges and/or cavalry charges.

But actually the choice depends on the rest of your army....

Avian
16-11-2006, 12:04
So with all these wonderful opinions on chariot-eering, here's another question. My current plan includes one chariot and 2 spear chukkas, and I want to fill the last special slot with another chariot or 2 more chukkas. The chukkas look like they would be good for cavalry, but the chariots add some more speed. Whatcha' think?
Basic rule of thumb for an O&G army: Everything counts in large numbers. Ergo, if it's not in large numbers it doesn't count.

One Wolf Chariot is not enough. If you take any, take two (or more).

T10
16-11-2006, 14:25
You need to take them in pairs because of the strange madness that overcomes all Warhammer players when they see a chariot: They just *have to* find a S7+ attack and kill it with.

There's something about the happy feeling you get by whacking the thing to bits - a result disproportionate (is that even a word?) (well, it is now) to the effort. Somehow, killing a chariot with a single hit justifies shooting virtually anything else instead. :)

-T10

MarcoPollo
16-11-2006, 16:24
just because you take 2 chariots doesn't mean you "HAVE" to use them in pairs. I am usually disapointed when I don't use a chariot tandem in pairs and split them up. But, there is something to be said for having them used on separate flanks. If I feel that my opponent is faster than me, I know that my flanks will be threatened. But, usually if he is faster he will also be lighter, so a single chariot against light cavalry/flyers can keep them off the flanks. If the opponent brings a big monster (Dragon etc) then I Usually keep them paired up and patrolling the areas where I definetly do not want the dragon to go. But, If I am faster, I keep them around for the end game. I see them like "rooks" in a chess game. Their movement is restricted a little at the beginning of the game. But, with their long charge range and nasty impact hits, they can turn a game at the end, especially when you opponent has forgot about them lurking behind a hill or forest.

Shaitan
17-11-2006, 08:28
In my Chaos army I often play with either 2 or 3 big infantry blocks (Marauders) and 2 chariots.

The set-ups I generally use are as follows:

MMMMMM CC CC MMMMMM MMMMMM CC MMMMMM CC MMMMMM
MMMMMM CC CC MMMMMM or: MMMMMM CC MMMMMM CC MMMMMM

Deploying them in this way works very nice.
- The space in front of the (slow-moving) infantry is threatend by the fast chariots.
- The chariots can't be flanked (wich is deadly for most chariots).
- A combined charge of an infantry unit together with a chariot is always a possibility.
- A combined charge of 2 chariots is in most cases possible

smileyface
19-11-2006, 15:17
Chariots don't do quite enough damage to win most combats, so they work best when you pair them up with something else. Personally, I like to pair them with units that have some static combat res - so cav with a flag or infantry, however they can also pair with other chariots and it works fairly well.
The other thing they can do in pairs is bait and flee - when facing dingle rank cav or other units that a single chariot can beat. Advance one chariot into charge range while keeping the other out of it. If the enemy charge the first chariot, flee and then charge with the second. If they don't charge the first chariot, charge with the first chariot.

Sandals
19-11-2006, 15:41
try tag teaming a goblin chariot with a giant - spectacular results!

eldrak
19-11-2006, 19:45
While on the topic of chariots...

I wonder if anyone is deploying their chariots sideways to get an extra 2.5cm move?

sigur
19-11-2006, 20:18
Sure, I assume people who spend MUCH time reading the rulebook and trying to find loopholes and possibilities to abuse the rules would do so.:rolleyes:

MarcoPollo
20-11-2006, 21:37
Sure, I assume people who spend MUCH time reading the rulebook and trying to find loopholes and possibilities to abuse the rules would do so.:rolleyes:

As I am sure that someone with over 2000 posts isn't looking for loop holes either :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Iziuth
21-11-2006, 12:34
Another question for all the charitos heads:D

Which chariot is the best. Personally I think the beast chariot is one of the best, it's relatively cheap, causes a reasonable amount of damage and is core. What do you guys think??

Sandals
21-11-2006, 16:26
used to be gobbos without a doubt, but now they come singley rather than in twos per special...
i'd go one of 2 ways. first, chaos warrior chariot. hard as nails, core choice, can be marked, probably the only chariot that can win in round 2 of a combat!
second, possibly HE. VERY fast, 2 for 1 special, skilled crew (with bows i think) but IIRC str 4? or is it no scythes? something makes them more rubbish than they should be!

Shaitan
22-11-2006, 08:05
I would go for the Beast Chariots. I play a Mortal army but I am including Beast Chariots as Marauder Chariots in my army. They are just great!

When you want some übercool-chariots, you should go for the Chaos Warrior Chariots with Mark of Khorne. They cost many points though....

Da GoBBo
22-11-2006, 10:18
for 90 points you have a goblin chariot with big boss --> us 5. This only takes a hero slot these days. Since the greenskins can have good magic protection now with out a shaman, it´s affordable to have warboss, bs bearer and two goblins with a chariot and still have 4 special slots left :D I really like their magic though, so don´t know if I´ll ever do this with me standard list.

guess I still vote for goblin chariots, for bein awefully cheap.

Voltaire
22-11-2006, 10:24
The ability to defend yourself without a mage is something I look forward to with a great smile.

I use Chaos Chariots in tandem. I will be purchasing a third sometime in the near future however, and converting him to carry an Exalted Champion with a Beserker Sword - thats the way chariots really rock!

Iziuth
27-11-2006, 07:53
I for one play regularly against empire and dwarfs (with hills). So I never field a chaos chariot since it is 120 pts and probably gets killed in the first turn anyway. The S7+ autokill rule really sucks.
Any suggestions how to get the most out of the chariot.

Voltaire
27-11-2006, 08:43
Play terrain to your advantage as well as using them as a deterrent. Watching people um and ar about not being sure whether or not they should charge because they see a chariot is great fun. Even more fun is slamming them into an opponent and then telling him you have the Beserker Sword...if you're Chaos.

Shaitan
27-11-2006, 09:04
I for one play regularly against empire and dwarfs (with hills). So I never field a chaos chariot since it is 120 pts and probably gets killed in the first turn anyway. The S7+ autokill rule really sucks.
Any suggestions how to get the most out of the chariot.

When facing an army with (a lot of) S7+ artillery it is often best to leave your chariots at home.

Sandals
27-11-2006, 16:05
if you have that choice. i play with one list no matter what. if it has chariots in, they play vs str 7+ war machines as all the rest does. does mean other things have a chance to shine.... :D

Da GoBBo
27-11-2006, 19:14
yup, that's why I like goblin chariots. It hurts like hell, thus can't be ignored, and I couldn't care less about a measly 60 points.

skabradisdead
29-11-2006, 01:47
Hey guys...

Long time Lurker... new to fantasy...

I would really like to do an all chariot army... I really don't know much about the game but the idea of marauder chariots in mass charging across the plains just kicks ass... How I know that Marauder chariots do not exist so I was thinking like 15 beastmen chariots made to look like marauder chariots with marauder horsemen, a cheiftain in a chariot, and some hounds. Is this a really bad idea? Cheesey?