PDA

View Full Version : Possible Woof elf silhouet?

Tulkas
02-04-2005, 20:16
Is this a new Wood Elf? I found it on the web and "Wood Elf" was the first thing that came to mind.

http://www.bigjoeduke.com/GamesDay2005Atlanta/DSCN0319.JPG

Akuma
02-04-2005, 20:24
Yes it is - it looks not so celtic as it should if you ask me btw it's from GD atlanta if i remember correctly

Baggers
02-04-2005, 20:42
Yeah that is a Wood Elf mini, what it looks like or what sort of unit it comes from is anyone geuss. My geuss is that it is the main plastic archer model.

Woodpecker
02-04-2005, 20:59
Yes it is - it looks not so celtic as it should if you ask me btw it's from GD atlanta if i remember correctly

Well, they better not look "Celtic", since the Celts relied on head on charge across the battlefield to carry the day, and never used missle weapons. ;) You are thinking of the Dark Ages anglo-saxons, my friend.

risK
02-04-2005, 22:03
Yes it is. As already stated, from the seminar at GD Atlanta.
But it has been posted in the Wood Elf Rumours thread on page 3...

Akuma
03-04-2005, 11:14
Well, they better not look "Celtic", since the Celts relied on head on charge across the battlefield to carry the day, and never used missle weapons. ;) You are thinking of the Dark Ages anglo-saxons, my friend.

No I'm realy thinking along the lines of north american indians :D

Festering Chantor
03-04-2005, 11:48
You are thinking of the Dark Ages anglo-saxons, my friend.
The Saxons was barbaric raiders from Germania, much similar to Vikings. In the Dark Ages the Normanns ruled the British Isles. The Woodelves do look a lot like Celts, or perhaps Pikts, mix that with American Indians and you got quite dark treehuggers. I love Warhammer.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, allways interested in learning something new.

Drabant
03-04-2005, 12:30
Hmm, I always thought they looked like... elves.

Festering Chantor
03-04-2005, 12:35
Hmm, I always thought they looked like... elves.
Thanks for clearing that up. :rolleyes:

Tulkas
03-04-2005, 16:06
Yes it is. As already stated, from the seminar at GD Atlanta.
But it has been posted in the Wood Elf Rumours thread on page 3...
Aha. Well I'm not a Wood Elf player, but I found this pic on the web and decided to show it, perhaps get someone who hadn't seen it all fired up. I'll try and get this thread closed.

Woodpecker
05-04-2005, 01:48
The Saxons was barbaric raiders from Germania, much similar to Vikings. In the Dark Ages the Normanns ruled the British Isles. The Woodelves do look a lot like Celts, or perhaps Pikts, mix that with American Indians and you got quite dark treehuggers. I love Warhammer.

You are probably right, they are more like American Indians. I was refering to the Saxons under the Normans, actually. I shouldn't have said Dark Ages.

Jedi152
05-04-2005, 08:10
I'm not too sure if i like this WE pic. It does look good apart from one thing.

The model is clearly wearing a helmet, and i'm just not sure if that fits in with my thoughts of what the new 'savage' image was...

But i will reserve judgement until i see the models themselves!

As i stated on the old Portent many times before, Warhammer is a fantasy game! GW can take influences from as many different cultures/armies as they like. It doesn't mean that they have to copy everything about that army, including tactics.

If you want historical gaming, then play warhammer historical.

Drabant
05-04-2005, 11:40
The model is clearly wearing a helmet, and i'm just not sure if that fits in with my thoughts of what the new 'savage' image was...

Sure it's a helmet? I think it looks like ye olde ranger hood.

Wraith
05-04-2005, 12:11
Looks like a helmet to me too.

Jedi152
05-04-2005, 12:44
Sure it's a helmet? I think it looks like ye olde ranger hood.
Ahahahhahhaa good spotting - it could well be a hood: Thus increasing my love for new WE...

Akuma
05-04-2005, 14:50
It's a hood but the model looks to similiar to old ones - no new Celtic feel and this pose it's lifted of VERY old elf scaout model - that was put into some mini mini adventurers tiny GW set - i think i have him somwhere ...

dragonmaster
09-04-2005, 17:21
looks cool, need to buy minis

Festus
10-04-2005, 09:48
Hi

I'd love to do just that :)
IIRC (this applies to all the following ;) )
The Saxons are indeed a Germanic tribe, closely related to the Saxons of Saxonia in Germany (not surprisingly, eh?), who moved west and arrived at the British Isles to defeat the Celts.
(As all Germanics did: they pushed the Celts to the outermost western corners of Europe: Ireland, Scotland, Hebrides, North of Spain, Britany...)

In the Dark Ages (the aera between the fall of the Roman Empire and the medieval Period (High Middle Age), sometimes called the Early Middle Age, and usually a term generally used with Wargamers, not so much with Historians), the Anglo-Saxons were quite happy on their little island, until the Normans came along in 1066 and conquered it with French/Frankish assistance. (quite late in the Dark Age, then).

The Danelaw was established considerably earlier, but did not encompass all of England, but only the Part in which the Danic invaders chose to build their realm after having had enough of raiding and pillaging, when they decided to settle down.

Greetings
Festus

Festering Chantor
10-04-2005, 09:56
I knew I got the time-thigh wrong... British history isn't my main field of competence... I you ask me about vikings though...