PDA

View Full Version : Fast Lizardmen Army

Slaaneshi Slave
15-11-2006, 13:42
I have recently put together a Lizardmen army, and its coming time to play my first game with it soon. I want the army to be fairly magic heavy and fast, so here is the 4,000 point list I have put together (with the models I have at hand).

+Lords+

2nd Gen Slann Mage Priest
Battle Standard, 100 Pts of Magic Items.
585 Pts

Saurus Oldblood
Mark of Itzl, Cold One, 100 Pts Magic Items, light armour, shield, one of the weapons (all 4 pts anyway)
299 Pts

+Heroes+

3 Lvl 2 Skink Priests
Scouts, 50 Pts Magic Items each
480 Pts

Saurus Scar-Veteran
light armour, shield, great weapon, 50 Pts Magic Items
143 Pts

+Core+

14 Temple Guard
Full Comd, 50 Pt Standard
337 Pts

20 Saurus
Full Comd
270 Pts

20 Saurus
Full Comd
270 Pts

25 Skinks
Scouts
Brave
175 Pts

25 Skinks
Scouts
Brave
175 Pts

+Special+

5 Saurus Cavalry
Jaguar Standard, Full Comd
250 Pts

3 Kroxigor
1 Ancient
194 Pts

10 Chameleon Skinks
1 Stalker
156 Pts

5 Terradons
1 Brave
185 Pts

+Rares+

Stegadon
235 Pts

3 Salamander Packs
195 Pts

+Total: 3949 Pts+

I know there is more than likely a lot wrong with this army, its my first time putting a list together for them (my main army is Slaaneshi Daemons, so this is completely new for me). Any advice would be appreciated.

I thought about buying another box of Saurus, then having 3 units of 15 instead of 2 of 20. Good idea? I know Lizardmen are Cold-Blooded, but I don't know how small units will fair, since I have only ever played WFB with Immune to Psychology and Daemons, so I am probably making some major mistakes.

Anyway, comments and critism more than welcome!

Thargrund
15-11-2006, 17:53
hi,
ill try to do my bnest with this:

+Lords+

Battle Standard, 100 Pts of Magic Items.
585 Pts
ok im persinaly a big fan of 2nd gen slaan so good choice, probaly better to list gear

Saurus Oldblood
Mark of Itzl, Cold One, 100 Pts Magic Items, light armour, shield, one of the weapons (all 4 pts anyway)
299 Pts
ok, again please list his gear, i presume he going with the cavalry

+Heroes+

3 Lvl 2 Skink Priests
Scouts, 50 Pts Magic Items each
480 Pts
ok good liking the priests

Saurus Scar-Veteran
light armour, shield, great weapon, 50 Pts Magic Items
143 Pts
please list gear
+Core+

14 Temple Guard
Full Comd, 50 Pt Standard
337 Pts
ok, you have to put your slaan here and youve only got 14 to keep him safe, imo 14 is not enough, 14 can be easily beaten, also need the banner please

20 Saurus
Full Comd
270 Pts

20 Saurus
Full Comd
270 Pts
good nice big units of saurus : )

25 Skinks
Scouts
Brave
175 Pts

25 Skinks
Scouts
Brave
175 Pts
skinks are good, however i think it would probaly be more productive to split them into 4 smaller units, 12/13 each, then you have more flexibility in how you use them

+Special+

5 Saurus Cavalry
Jaguar Standard, Full Comd
250 Pts
if you are putting your old blood here then i would strongly recommend having a few more just to make the unit more substantial

3 Kroxigor
1 Ancient
194 Pts

10 Chameleon Skinks
1 Stalker
156 Pts

5 Terradons
1 Brave
185 Pts

+Rares+

Stegadon
235 Pts

3 Salamander Packs
195 Pts

+Total: 3949 Pts+

On the whole a fairly strong list, lots of magic! : ). i like the saurus but you REALLY need more temple guard imo. Also you have 50 spare points to spend and thats a few temple guard any way!

Thargrund

Goq Gar
15-11-2006, 17:57
... Not NEARLY enough Saurus cavalry :D

Id say 3 units of 12 saurus cav. (Somewhere upwards of 1500 pts) as your main army. Flank it with SCORES of skink skirmishers.

Thats my advice

pcgamer72
15-11-2006, 18:01
First off, I would strongly recommend decreasing the size of those Skink units by a lot. I think units of 10 are great. There is almost no way you are going ot be bale to Scout a unit of 25, at least on most tables. Plus, they are only LD 5, so one panic test can kill off the rest of that big unit fairly easily. I would recommend 4-5 units of 10, with 2 of htem having Scouting.

Charmeleon Skinks- I really don't like these guys. Regular skinks are nearly as good and cost much less. I think if you break up the unit sizes like I mentioned before, that you could remove these guys and spend those points elsewhere (possibly to get those 5 extra Saurus if you decide to go with 3x15.)

JSOD? Heh, the Jaguar Saurus is a favorite of many people, you might wanna consider making your Scar-Vet into one.

I'm a big fan of Saurus with spears, but I know that a lot of people aren't. I always found them to be much more productive with them though.

Slaaneshi Slave
16-11-2006, 17:11
Thanks for the advice so far, its been very helpful. I'll write a complete list soon with all the wargear.

But going from the suggestions here, I should be buying anothertwo boxes of Saurus Cavalry (bringing me up to 24 total, enough for a two units of 12 (with more to be added later), and another box of Saurus Warriors, so I can take 3 x 15 warriors.

Then split down my Skinks into 5 smaller units (using the Cameleon Skinks as normals) of roughly 12 each.

Use the Skinks to slow the enemy, the Saurus to pin the enemy, then smash them with the cavalry, while the other units harrass enemy cavalry and war machines.

Sound good?

Thargrund
16-11-2006, 17:28
Thanks for the advice so far, its been very helpful. I'll write a complete list soon with all the wargear.

But going from the suggestions here, I should be buying anothertwo boxes of Saurus Cavalry (bringing me up to 24 total, enough for a two units of 12 (with more to be added later), and another box of Saurus Warriors, so I can take 3 x 15 warriors.

Then split down my Skinks into 5 smaller units (using the Cameleon Skinks as normals) of roughly 12 each.

Use the Skinks to slow the enemy, the Saurus to pin the enemy, then smash them with the cavalry, while the other units harrass enemy cavalry and war machines.

Sound good?

Now your talking!

Remember that the cavalry should be 2 ranks 5 plus 2 extras, this means you can take 2 casualties without losing a rank. I think that when youve done this you will have a very sound list all you have to do then is get the feel of it on the field, and try and come up with a tactic for different opponents.

Slaaneshi Slave
16-11-2006, 17:38
I was also planning on giving the Slann the Plaque which gives the 2+ ward save. Since this only works at range, is it worth the points? If anything threatens him in melee it means most of his Temple Guard are dead, so he is buggered either way.

I wanted a unit of 20 Temple Guard, but the shop didn't have the fourth box. :(

Adept
16-11-2006, 17:40
Remember that the cavalry should be 2 ranks 5 plus 2 extras

:eek:

So thats 245 points (for the second rank and two extras) in order to keep +1 Combat Resolution? Absolute waste of points. It's cheaper and more effective to take two units of five with full command.

Arhalien
16-11-2006, 17:42
I was also planning on giving the Slann the Plaque which gives the 2+ ward save. Since this only works at range, is it worth the points? If anything threatens him in melee it means most of his Temple Guard are dead, so he is buggered either way.

I wanted a unit of 20 Temple Guard, but the shop didn't have the fourth box. :(

Terrible. Abosutely terrible. I think that one of the fatal flaws of the whole Warhammer game system is the reliance on little models to represent what is happening. The whole game would be so much simpler and more elegant if the models were removed and the whole thing was worked out simply with dice and good memory. In fact, why not remove all physical aspects of warhammer altogether and work it out using pure probability! :wtf:

Random musings aside it is annoying when you don;t have the models that you want for a particular unit.

Slaaneshi Slave
16-11-2006, 17:50
Thats why the D&D system is so strong, it doesn't rely on anything being moved around a table. Anyway, thats way off topic for a warhammer forum. :p

Thargrund
16-11-2006, 18:01
And the award for the most random post ever goes to: (opens slip)
ARHALIEN! well done

Fantasy would seriosly suck without the models imo : )

Please can you post a revised list slaaneshi slave - i really like the tactics you want to use :) and i want to see how you have ammended your list and all of your sparkly wargear for your heroes :D

Thanks!

Slaaneshi Slave
16-11-2006, 18:05
As soon as I get home I will get to writing up a new list. I need to limit myself a bit though on points, or else I will just end up buying thousands and thousands of points and never having enough time for a game. I already have 4,000 points worth not painted (on top of my other unpainted WFB and 40k armies...), so I don't want to go TOO mad. :p I'll get back to you a little later on tonight.

Slaaneshi Slave
16-11-2006, 22:11
Here is the updated list. I decided to drop down to one unit of 12 cavalry, since they are so damn expensive.

+Lords+
Battle Standard, Divine Plaque of Protection, Plaque of Tepok, Rod of the Storm.
585 Pts

Saurus Old-Blood - This guy is going with the Cavalry
Light Armour, Great Weapon, Shield, Spawn of Itzl, Blessed Spawn of Sotek, Cold One, Blade of Revered Tzunki, Glyph Necklace.
312 Pts

+Heroes+
lvl 2 Skink Priest
Scout, Cloak of Feathers, Dragonfly of Quicksilver.
155 Pts

lvl 2 Skink Priest
Scout, Charm of the Jaguar Warrior, Dispel Scroll.
155 Pts

lvl 2 Skink Priest - This one will be on the Stegadon, for that little bit of extra Ld
Sacred Stegadon Helm.
140 Pts

+Core+
12 Skink Skirmishers
Scouts, Brave.
89 Pts

12 Skink Skirmishers
Scouts, Brave.
89 Pts

12 Skink Skirmishers
Brave.
77 Pts

12 Skink Skirmishers
Brave.
77 Pts

10 Skink Skirmishers
Brave.
65 Pts

15 Saurus Warriors
Full Comd.
210 Pts

15 Saurus Warriors
Full Comd.
210 Pts

15 Saurus Warriors
Full Comd.
210 Pts

15 Temple Guard
Shields, Full Comd, Sun Standard of Chotec.
345 Pts.

+Specials+
12 Saurus Cavalry
Full Comd.
470 Pts

3 Kroxigor
Ancient.
194 Pts

5 Terradons
Brave.
185 Pts

+Rares+
Stegadon
The Skink Priest will sit here.
235 Pts

3 Salamander Hunting Packs
195 Pts

Total Pts: 3998
Total Lords: 2
Total Heroes: 3
Total Core: 9
Total Specials:3
Total Rares: 2

So what is the verdict? It looks a lot better than my first list to me, but what do you old veterans think?

Adept
17-11-2006, 01:54
So what is the verdict? It looks a lot better than my first list to me, but what do you old veterans think?

I still think a unit of 12 Saurus cavalry is a ridiculous investment. Your second rank costs 210 points, if arranged 2 x 6, and only gives you a +1 rank bonus. Drop the six extra models, take the Warbanner for the unit, and save yourself 185 points.

Failing that, take two units of five, both with full command.

Thargrund
17-11-2006, 17:05
Hi again,

Yeah that is looking alot better like the wargear youve given the heroes nothing too bad there. however, on the issue of cavalry 12 is a vig investment BUT it will hit hard, if you play the cards right. MIght be advantageous to have a unit of perhaps 5 cavalry as a unit for flank + rear charges etc. YOu could take 3 from that big unit to have 1 unit of 10 (including the lord) and a reserve unit of 5 to take advantage of any openings. just a thought though and im sure it will work as it is :)

Adept
18-11-2006, 05:29
on the issue of cavalry 12 is a vig investment BUT it will hit hard, if you play the cards right.

Thats the thing. It won't hit any harder than a unit of five with the Warbanner. With two units of five, you can hit almost twice as hard, at the same time in different places. It's exponentially more effective.

Slaaneshi Slave
18-11-2006, 15:29
Splitting the unit into 2 small units of 5 gives me more tactical flexability, but makes them so much more fragile. I had thought about doing that, then taking a unit of mounted Skinks as allies (Dogs of War) as a nice fast flanking unit. But I have the Teradons for that, so do I really need a unit of fast cav?

Wings of Doom
18-11-2006, 16:08
Although Terradons are more manouverable and skirmish, feigned flight is (IMO) too good an opportunity to overlook, especially if you were going to use the Skink Regiment of Renown, although they are quite expensive.

Slaaneshi Slave
18-11-2006, 17:46
What is the feigned flight rule? I don't have the book for the Regts of Renown, only Lizardmen, Hordes (nothing to do with this I know..) and the rule book. Can you either explain the rule or tell me where I can find it? Many thanks. :)