PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Dwarf Army - 2000pts

kermit
15-11-2006, 20:05
Wow, there seems to be lots of us making dwarf armies. I just hope that people aren't too burnt out to give me some advice! :D

The idea behind this army to to have smaller units with the Anvil of Doom. I just hope that I will be the one doing most of the charges!

--------------------

Runelord w/ Anvil - 315

Thane w/BSB, RoStone - 95
(To be put with the Longbeards)

Warriors w/shields, full command (20) - 205

Longbeards w/shields, full command, RoStoicism (19) - 268

Quarrellers (10) - 110

Thunderers (10) - 140

Miners w/full command (15) - 190

Miners w/full command (15) - 190

Bolt Thrower w/Engineer - 60

Bolt Thrower w/Engineer, RoPenetrating - 85

Gyrocopter - 140

Organ Cannnon - 120

Total - 1918 (82 points left over)
--------------------

Please let me know what you think, and how to improve this army!
Personnally I don't know if the Miners need the full command... but really I haven't used them yet in a game, so I don't know how they work with or without it.

Thank you,

kermit

Teach
15-11-2006, 20:19
Maybe make one unit into rangers ot get even a more scouty effect with the miners and chopter.

sever14
15-11-2006, 20:19
well for starters, your total points are 2029, not 1993. Second I would put at least of rune of stone on your BRB to make him last longer. Also drop the BoP from the engineers. If you are able to most of the charges, will you be able to break the enemy with a rank bonus of 2, more likely 1 if u lose one dwarf. I would say bump up the warriors to 20 and drop the other warrior unit, so youll have the longbeards and a warrior unit that has a chance to win CR. Also id drop a unit of miners and with those points and the points from the dropped warrior unit, take a couple more war machines or shooty units, possibly an organ gun or flame canon. With an Anvil army, i would drop the gyrocopter and take both a flame canon and organ gun, i like to have a lot of firepower to make enemies run.

Thargrund
15-11-2006, 20:24
ARRRGH! i dont know hopw many times i see people taking single dragon slayers with no basic slayers - DONT DO IT. anyway sorry for the outburst : ). i would say that even if you are obly keeping around to defend the anvil - thats alot of points just to defend it, and to be honest he wont last long against anything you need to be defending it against anyway. all good apart from that, liking most things however, if you are going to take a gyrocopter and you want to be charging then i would use this to stop enemy marching this means you can pick and choose where and how you want to hit the enemy, well a few of the enemy. miners are definately a good choice if you want to go on the offensive. I am glad that at least one of these dwarfs lists is trying to stick it to 'em : ).

kermit
15-11-2006, 21:04
well for starters, your total points are 2029, not 1993.
You are right... I will change the points! Thank you.

Second I would put at least of rune of stone on your BRB to make him last longer. Also drop the BoP from the engineers. If you are able to most of the charges, will you be able to break the enemy with a rank bonus of 2, more likely 1 if u lose one dwarf. I would say bump up the warriors to 20 and drop the other warrior unit, so youll have the longbeards and a warrior unit that has a chance to win CR. Also id drop a unit of miners and with those points and the points from the dropped warrior unit, take a couple more war machines or shooty units, possibly an organ gun or flame canon. With an Anvil army, i would drop the gyrocopter and take both a flame canon and organ gun, i like to have a lot of firepower to make enemies run.
All very good ideas... I will think about them and make some changes!

ARRRGH! i dont know hopw many times i see people taking single dragon slayers with no basic slayers - DONT DO IT. anyway sorry for the outburst : ). ....... if you are going to take a gyrocopter and you want to be charging then i would use this to stop enemy marching this means you can pick and choose where and how you want to hit the enemy, well a few of the enemy. miners are definately a good choice if you want to go on the offensive. I am glad that at least one of these dwarfs lists is trying to stick it to 'em : ).

So very sorry:( :cries: . I see your point about the dragon slayer... so I will drop him and take your other points into consideration!

I will go off and make some changes and change the army list above to represent this.

Thank you again! Please keep it coming.

Edit: Changed the army list. I do have some questions:

1. Do the miners need command?
2. If I can work it to get Thorek in, should I? Or is he too much of a point sink?
3. With only one unit of warriors and one longbeard... do I have enough stuff on the board? Or will the Anvil even this out?

Thank you!

Thargrund
15-11-2006, 21:35
1. Do the miners need command?
2. If I can work it to get Thorek in, should I? Or is he too much of a point sink?
3. With only one unit of warriors and one longbeard... do I have enough stuff on the board? Or will the Anvil even this out?

Thank you!

Its me again!!!

1) well, that all depends: if you want (which i presume you do) to use the miners as stand in 'shock troops' then i think they will fare alot better in combat if you payed the few extra points to get then the rally bonus, the +1 resolution and the drawn combat break - then i believe they will be alot better

2) OK, Thorek is not popular, if you want to not play many games then sure, however if you do decide to spend to 600 odd points then you get what you pay for - HE IS GOOD! but generaly a no from me.

3) Yes, that is a question i think you may have enough but that is ONLY IF you maintain a coherent force - i.e you need to make sure that your miners turn up / get into the enemies **** at the same time you are hitting them with your other units then it will work. if you fail to strike together then the enemy will just pick the parts apart and if that happens your screwed.

and for 82 points you can get another bolt thrower : )

Hope my second lot of help was of any use :p

kermit
15-11-2006, 22:03
2) OK, Thorek is not popular, if you want to not play many games then sure, however if you do decide to spend to 600 odd points then you get what you pay for - HE IS GOOD! but generaly a no from me.

and for 82 points you can get another bolt thrower : )

Hmmmm... things to think about.

I have read elsewhere that Thorek is rather :cheese: , but how much competitive would this army be with him? This army is for a championship at my local store and I am not known for playing :cheese: so I thought it would be fun to crank it up!

As for another bolt thrower... I only own 2... should I look at adding more to some units or even try to find points for a cannon?

Thargrund
16-11-2006, 16:36
hi again : ),

Well if your opponents dont mind you going over the max then it will definately be worth getting a cannon, but if they do mind then you may have ti take some thing out, maybe get rid of the rune of penetrating on the bolt thrower, plus i suppose the cannon would be give a bit more heavy firepower, take out some chunks of those big nasty units :evilgrin: !

Rikkjourd
16-11-2006, 20:39
Well if your opponents dont mind you going over the max

This army is for a championship at my local store

I think they will mind! Don't encourage people to break the rules you sneaky git! =P

Thargrund
16-11-2006, 20:46
OH DEAR! i am terribly sorry my liege, its just that 8 points, blimy! anyway im not very strict like this and im running a tourny soon, and im not going to be to annoyed if someone is 2 or 3 points over, flipping heck. How the hell am i meant to know what the people in his store are like and how strict they are :confused:, the people at my store for example dont give a ratsarse :wtf: !

sorry for any offense anyway, just pm me if you want air your views to me :)

kermit
16-11-2006, 22:36
I have never pushed that envelope yet. I pride myself on getting exactly the right number of points... but I have never been able to quite do it in Fanatasy.

I really like my cannons... last time I played with them, I took out an average of 4 Ogres per turn! It was great!

Hit & Bounch = 4 hit
4 Hit + 5&6's = 4 Dead Ogres!

Hmmm... so much to think about...

Would you drop a Bolt Thrower for a Cannon? Or do you find the two Bolt Throwers better?

Thank you everyone!

sever14
17-11-2006, 13:40
What you could do is drop the rune of penetrating on the bolt thrower which makes you have 82+25=107 pts. Then take a cannon with run of reloading and put a rune of fire on a bolt thrower to make it have magical attacks. Then you have 2 bolts, a cannon, and an organ gun. Nice. Just a thought.

kermit
17-11-2006, 15:11
sever14: I like your thinking...

I will play around with that!