PDA

View Full Version : Base Sizes

Mephistofeles
16-11-2006, 18:06
Ok, now I have a simple question, but I have to ask it since I have gotten so many contradictory answers. Here it goes:

Can I have any base-size I want for my models, as long as it is not smaller then their designated base-size? I.e. can I have a 25mm base for a model which "should" have a 20mm one?

This is mainly important to me in order to rank up cavalry-characters with rank&File-soldiers , so the question might also be, can a Character which should have a Cavalry-Base have a larger base, such as a 40*40mm base?

TheWarSmith
16-11-2006, 18:24
I'd say absolutely, with the exception of using it to exploit magic items/rules, such as amulet of chaos and stuff like that.

Festus
16-11-2006, 18:52
Hi

I'd say no. :)

A Model shall go on the base it belongs, there even is a base size chart (admittedly for 6th).
You will have quite a few oddities otherwise - not the least of which is the Berserker Blade.

Festus

TheWarSmith
16-11-2006, 19:06
well, the zerker blade is one of the items i was alluding to in terms of exploiting larger base sizes. But if the model has nothing that's "base size dependent, i'd say go for it.

Of course there is no official ruling, so it's all kinda iffy.

Mephistofeles
16-11-2006, 19:11
Ok, but "officially" it is okey, rules-wise and such?

On another note, I can assure you that I am not trying to exploit things here, I just have a Mounted BSB whom I want to stick into a unit of spearmen, which is a bit awkward with that base he's got.

If I mount him on a larger base, I will probably do some marking on the base to know from where to measure his "Effective Standard Distance" when it comes to determining re-rolls for BSB and the like. Would you think that was "okey" ?

Flame
16-11-2006, 21:27
No, he has a specific base size that he has to go on.

In the case of cavalry, it is 25*50mm. Nothing bigger, or smaller.

Crazy Harborc
17-11-2006, 00:27
Ya' know..... the larger his base the more enemy troops in BtB during HtH can direct their hits onto him;) As in 3 instead of just 2.....AND it's not a challenge, so he is stuck there....hack, hack, hack.

EvC
17-11-2006, 00:40
But if he is a vampire, per example, he mihgt have the Talon of Death, which causes S5 hits to all in B2B contact in his movement phase, so it can be abused...

feeder
17-11-2006, 04:28
What about my Gobbo Warboss on Gigantic spider? Cav or monster? What about my Great Squig?

Base size should be included as part of the model's description.

Ghazhkull Thraka
17-11-2006, 05:35
Unlike 40k, Fantasy has a strict basing rule dictated by a model's unit strength.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/warhammer/base%2Dchart/1/

Tutore
17-11-2006, 07:33
I would say no. I would rather accept a Silver Helm representing a chaos knight of khorne, because the base is more important than the miniature, in game terms.

T10
17-11-2006, 10:05
Unlike 40k, Fantasy has a strict basing rule dictated by a model's unit strength.

WFB 7th ed. has no such strict ruling.

-T10

TheWarSmith
17-11-2006, 18:01
I've said this quite a few times that if you were using items that affect models in B2B, then putting him on a larger base would be unacceptable, but how does putting your BSB on a 40x40 really affect the game. If anything, it's pure disadvantage for the player using the larger base.

Crazy Harborc
18-11-2006, 00:23
WFB 7th ed. has no such strict ruling.

-T10

Shouldn't somebody let GW know?? They should take down that PDF file.

WillFightForFood
18-11-2006, 02:39
I've said this quite a few times that if you were using items that affect models in B2B, then putting him on a larger base would be unacceptable, but how does putting your BSB on a 40x40 really affect the game. If anything, it's pure disadvantage for the player using the larger base.

Being on a certain base size is not purely disadvantageous or advantageous. Depending on how you're using the individual in question it may be beneficial. For a single model on foot that effectively increases the charge range nearly an inch (for a 20mm base on a 40mm base), which can and does make the difference between a failed charge and a successful one. In the case of a cavalry model on going onto a 40mm base it will increase the charge range by 15mm and increase the charge arc of the model. It could also effectively increase the terror range of an individual in the same manner. At the same time it does make you a larger target and increases the wheeling distance for a unit by making it wider.

Moreover, if you put a cavalry model on a 40mm base, and then put that individual in a unit of 20mm individuals that would be problematic for noncombat reasons. It has not been decisively settled as to how individuals with larger base sizes affect the unit formation. If you'll recall there was a rather long post about it in the rules forum here regarding cavalry bases in regular units.

If you get consent from your opponents to do so, that should be fine, but proceed with caution.

Yellow Commissar
18-11-2006, 02:44
I want to put my BSB on a regiment base. That would give me 24" + 100mm range for rerolls. That would be cool. Thanks for the idea!:wtf:

Griefbringer
18-11-2006, 08:26
Base size should be included as part of the model's description.

Back in the 3rd edition it actually was. I am still puzzled why they dropped it off with 4th edition (and haven't brought it back yet, it would be just a bit more text per army book).

Mephistofeles
18-11-2006, 09:34
Yellow Commisar: Yeah, real mature. I've allready written that the effectie range of the BSB would still be considered the same, with markings showing his "actual" base. If you have a problem with that, then write that instead, what you just wrote did not have any relevance at all.