PDA

View Full Version : [2000] Skaven - Clan Eshin

Wolf_Pack
17-11-2006, 03:37
Here's a list I am throwing up for the new year's tournament season, I'd like to know the opinion of other rat spawn on it.

Lords & Heroes

Master Assassin @ 335 pts
Smoke Bombs, Bands Of Power, Weeping Blade,
The Foul Pendant

Assassin @ 175 pts
Smoke Bombs, Warpstone Stars

Eshin Sorcerer @ 140 pts
Level 2 Caster, 2 Dispel Scrolls

Eshin Sorcerer @ 140 pts

Core

5 Night Runners @ 45 pts
Slings

5 Night Runners @ 45 pts
Slings

8 Night Runners @ 56 pts
Extra Hand Weapon

8 Night Runners @ 56 pts

25 Clanrat Slaves @ 50 pts

25 Clanrat Slaves @ 50 pts

Special

8 Jezzails @ 160 pts

8 Jezzails @ 160 pts

3 Gutter Runner Tunnelers @ 51 pts
Poisoned Hand Weapons

3 Gutter Runner Tunnelers @ 51 pts
Poisoned Hand Weapons

Rare

Eshin Triad @ 240 pts
Smoke Bombs

Eshin Triad @ 240 pts
Smoke Bombs

Total 1994
Models 108
Power Dice 6
Dispel 4

meowser
17-11-2006, 17:47
if you're going to forego UCoD, I'd take as many slave units as possible (4+), becuase 2 ranked units isn't enough if you.

8 is a bad unit size, you're just shy of the panic test bonus
NR should be 5, 7 or 9
Jezzails should be 5-6 or 9
2 triads and 2 assassins is overkill imho, maybe some globadiers instead of 1 triad?
and personally i'd like to have at least 1 tunneller unit @ 5, if not both

Not so sure if you'll ever get your BoP off w/ only 2 skitterleaps a turn... mebbe drop 2 scrolls for warpscroll or drop weeping blades + BoP for fellblade

and if you're going to take slaves you might as well take a couple small CR units for some weapons teams.

squeekenator
18-11-2006, 22:17
Ditch the slaves. UCOD is one of the main advantages of the Eshin SoC list.
Master assassins are best armed with the fellblade. Get him skitterleapt into the enemy general, then unload 4 S10, d6 wound attacks. The drawback of the fellblade is next to nothing when you consider that he's going to die anyway if he can't kill the enemy general in 1 turn. Also, bands of power are far too easy to dispel for your main method os successfully assassinating the enemy.
Slings suck. They cost nearly as much as another night runner, and they are just plain weak, because their only advantage over the much cheaper throwing stars is their range, and the move and shoot penalty on a unit that needs to move every turn is a killer. Personally, i prefer two hand weapons so my night runners can assassinate war machine crews, but throwing stars are good for harassing lightly armoured units while taking no damage in return.
Units of 3 tunnelers aren't going to do anything. The only thing they can kill is a war machine crew, and they wouldn't have great chances against that anyway. One unit of 6 would be a better way to go. That can pick off wizards, war machines and the occaisonal light cavalry unit.

Other than that, not bad. However, if you are going to use UCOD, replace the jezzails with something that doesn't require LoS. Maybe a warp-lightning cannon. Are they allowed in the eshin list? I've forgotten. Possibly a third triad, or more night runners, would be better.

Wolf_Pack
20-11-2006, 04:56
Other than that, not bad. However, if you are going to use UCOD, replace the jezzails with something that doesn't require LoS. Maybe a warp-lightning cannon. Are they allowed in the eshin list? I've forgotten. Possibly a third triad, or more night runners, would be better.

Triads are rare, so only 2 ^_^. The reason I have slaves is purely to bring some ranks to a side of the table if I need them. Also, since I will be using the jezzails for cavalry suppression, I won't be using the cover of darkness.

I'll give the fellblade a try.

I could be ditching a triad to raise the number of of tunnelers, but I will stick to 2 teams. this gives me more chance of one of them showing up.

What's the consensus of globadiers ? from what I can see, them are awful short ranged, and are likely to be charged after them droped in thier globes. One out of 4 will produce a wound also.

squeekenator
20-11-2006, 05:44
Triads are rare, so only 2 ^_^. The reason I have slaves is purely to bring some ranks to a side of the table if I need them. Also, since I will be using the jezzails for cavalry suppression, I won't be using the cover of darkness.

What kinda screwed up Eshin army are you running? Only 2 rares at 2000pts? Are you actually trying to be... legal? Omg, n00b...
Don't make fun of me, just because I'm stoopid.
Anyway, UCOD is a personal choice, I guess. I must say, it does set you apart from the other eshin armies. Makes yours a bit more individual.

Tutore
20-11-2006, 07:18
Well it´s an original army list, good luck! Aren´t 4 dispel scroll a little bit too many? You could increase slaves number instead.

Wolf_Pack
20-11-2006, 16:00
Well itīs an original army list, good luck! Arenīt 4 dispel scroll a little bit too many? You could increase slaves number instead.

Against some yes, but when you end up against a vampire count player, you never have too many. 4 dispel only stops a 3 dice spell. When you reveal the master assassin, you have to amke sure is unitwon't explode to magic missiles, and get him running off the board.

also, having the ability to completely shut off a whole magic phase is very nasty. Against a patient tomb king player, it makes the difference between getting that last urgency through and losing, or stoping him in is tracks and turn the tide. Same goes for the invocation of nehek. if you get a poor round against a vampire, make sure he doesn't lick himself back to full health.

DesertDirge
20-11-2006, 17:54
Slaves are worthless in this list.. and units of 3 gutter runners won't do anything.

But good luck... should be fun anyway.

Dasqueek-Master Assassin
20-11-2006, 18:27
Ive been playing eshin SoC since its release and may i say its still fun
give the MA the fellblade, smoke bombs and a taliman of protection. but dont send him after the general, send him at mages first, then big creatures ( minotaurs, ogres, giants) then at heros. he might kill the general, but the are usually pretty sound in the ward save department so probably not. but you can always try.
i would go for 2 dispel scrolls and 1 warp scroll. it is great against goblins, marauders, and the like if they choose to let it through. if they dont thats a few less dispel dice to worry about.
nightrunners should be 8 strong with two hand weapons and throwing stars. many opponents will simply ignore them, which is their mistake. you get a rear charge with one unit and a flank charge with the MA or a triad and they can kiss that unit goodbye.:evilgrin:
i personally would drop the slaves or if you NEED ranked units :wtf: then go with clanrats.:eyebrows:
I find that one unit of 10 jezzails i enough anti armor at 2000pts
tunnel teams need to be 5 rats strong with noting but 2 poisoned hand weapons. normally only use one unit but its your perogative
PWGs are ok but i like jezzails and triads for anti armor instead. the PWGs never seem to do anything for me
Hope this helps
Go forth and INFEST!!!:skull:

Wolf_Pack
23-11-2006, 00:16
give the MA the fellblade, smoke bombs and a taliman of protection. but dont send him after the general, send him at mages first, then big creatures ( minotaurs, ogres, giants) then at heros. he might kill the general, but the are usually pretty sound in the ward save department so probably not. but you can always try.

A good sound tactic here. I'll definitly try, but I also definitly won't grab a fellblade in that case. It's simply overkill and risky: Heroes and warmachine crews should hold up to a weapo causing D3 wounds. It would also give me some point to put towards a cloak of shadows, just in case it he ends up in the open to get shot.

Dasqueek-Master Assassin
24-11-2006, 04:03
you can try that, but i think your gonna find the blade much better. trust me it is most definatly not overkill.

Wolf_Pack
24-11-2006, 04:29
Ok, Here's a few changes I find interesting. I could drop a triad for a unit of clanrats and a ratling. I would still have left overs to bump up the tunneling teams.

I could drop the assassin for a cheiftain BSB ?

Here's what it would look like:

Lords & Heroes

Master Assassin @ 310 pts
Smoke Bombs, Weeping Blade, Tenebrous Cloak

Eshin Sorcerer @ 140 pts

Eshin Sorcerer @ 140 pts

Chieftain @ 124 pts
Battle Standard Bearer, Heavy Armour
The Foul Pendant, Sword Of Might

Core

5 Night Runners @ 25 pts

5 Night Runners @ 25 pts

8 Night Runners @ 56 pts
Extra Hand Weapon

8 Night Runners @ 56 pts
Extra Hand Weapon

8 Night Runners @ 56 pts
Extra Hand Weapon

25 Clanrats @ 210 pts
Full Command
Ratling Gun

30 Clanrat Slaves @ 64 pts
Musician

30 Clanrat Slaves @ 64 pts
Musician

Special

8 Jezzails @ 160 pts

8 Jezzails @ 160 pts

5 Gutter Runner Tunnelers @ 85 pts
Poison Hand Weapon

5 Gutter Runner Tunnelers @ 85 pts
Poison Hand Weapon

Rare

Eshin Triad @ 240 pts

Models 153
Power 6
Dispel 4

Dasqueek-Master Assassin
29-11-2006, 22:17
again i would advise against the use of block units, but thats just my eshin sense asserting itself

callum in hat
30-11-2006, 16:34
its too small. your units of night runners are just gunna get magik-ed/ shot to death

DeathlessDraich
01-12-2006, 14:11
DasqueekAssassin is absolutely right.

The crux of the SOC Clan Eshin is simply Assassins. - In order of importance:
Master Assassin (properly equipped), Eshin Triads and Skitterleap.
They will win the battle.
ALL the other units serve to distract the enemy nothing more. UCOD is vital and of course the element of luck that goes with it. Because of this, army composition shifts towards choosing Master Assassin, Sorcerers, Triads and Tunnellers as imperative while the choice of other units becomes relatively less important and a matter of taste.

It's character assasination that is important and gives you extra victory pts and that is what you should focus on - first remove magic users and then your Master Assassin hunts the other characters. Triads can take on any unit if you have 2 of them - I've seen Grail Knights destroyed with 2 Triad units. Keep your characters alive with your sorcerers in support and victory will be in sight!

Dasqueek-Master Assassin
01-12-2006, 16:41
thank you Deathlessdraich!
read my name- Dasqueek- Master Assassin. trust me i know what im doing.