PDA

View Full Version : The end of Blisters? New GW packaging.

Brimstone
05-07-2005, 19:43
Posted on B&C by DPA who received his Gamesday marine in new wrap packaging.

This poses the question is this just for Gamesday or the start of a new type of packaging for blisters?

It's certainly more cost effective but may create problems for minis not of a regular size.

It also has far better shelf impact.

A flow wrapping machine to do this is pricey and unless it was done outside of GW as contract packing wouldn't make much sense for a single model.

http://www.pbase.com/brimstone/image/45766186.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/brimstone/image/45766189.jpg

Wez
05-07-2005, 19:48
Considering blister packs contain 'random' models, it seems a bit silly as you don't know what you're actually getting. You might get the same model 5 times, or you might get 5 different models.

I hope this packaging isn't replacing the blister packs.

-Wez

Lord Setra
05-07-2005, 19:50
hmm im not sure, this could have its advantages but then again i will miss the blisters if they get rid of them.

philbrad2
Does it come with bubble gum and a baseball card? :angel:

Oh well its was only a matter of time... the good old blister has been with us for more years than I've been playing.

Pity I like the blister. you could have a good looksee of the parts, and whether it was worth MOing them later - quite useful with the SM vets. Of course if there is anything missing in the pack you won't know until you get home and crack it open .... then have to go all the way back to the store to exchange it. One step forward... one step back.

I can honestly say I'm underwhelmed!

:chrome:

Brimstone
Considering blister packs contain 'random' models, it seems a bit silly as you don't know what you're actually getting. You might get the same model 5 times, or you might get 5 different models.

That's a good point I hadn't considered.

Would be a pain.

Would also stop you checking for damages and excessive flash

:(

Just for special models I hope

Bruen
05-07-2005, 19:52
Interesting but I hope GW don't do that across the board for two reasons:

1) No more free mixing trays made out of blister-fronts.
and
2) Less protection for miniatures which means more broken and bent minis.

Gaebriel
05-07-2005, 19:56
It's probably only for limited run-items. Remember the Zombie-Pirate sprues, lately? They came in a bag-like packing as well.

I inquired my GW-staff about those, and they said such packaging is only meant for models that will go to mail order-only soon, and not be part of the regular range.

It's possibly the same thing(?)

Aenarion
05-07-2005, 19:57
2) Less protection for miniatures which means more broken and bent minis.

I think that could be a problem with that new type packaging.

Insane Psychopath
05-07-2005, 19:59
Like many I am not sure on this. Just with randome models, there might be one that you hate & that you don't want only to get it, just apart from what it say, you don't really know what your getting.

Also on that note. Bliter where cool to make some terrain & for myself use to hold PVA glue when I go to glue the sand on to my model base. Also they where good for mixing paint

There are some plueies (sp) to it, but just I feel they do not need the change.

Sgt John Keel
05-07-2005, 20:00
Well, it's a step forward in the design area, but a huge leap backwards in question of the consumer relations.

I would really hate buying, for example one of the new HE heroes and see I got the White Lion one when I wanted the Longbow armed one.

If they take care of that problem though, I can't say I care much, although it do look less serious than the blisters.

/Adrian

The Inedible
05-07-2005, 20:07
While it'd be nice if the wraps were for special minis only, as shiny and flashy looking as they are they're probably not just meant to be seen by you and the Mail Order guys. This new wrap looks in line with the photoshopped boxes in my mind.

MisterHeavy
05-07-2005, 20:08
Yeah, this would be bad. Not only would I be unable to see which "random" model I'm actually getting, but I personally like to check the casting on a model before I buy it. Some casts have minimal mold lines. Other castings have huge mold lines that require heavy filing to remove.

mostholycerebus
05-07-2005, 20:08

That could very well be the point. Just like the collectable clix games, you have to keep buying to get the one model you need. Or, order from the already overpriced, soon to be raised, bitz order catalogue.

Pertinax
05-07-2005, 20:32
I trade with GW; and I have not heard anything about a repackaging deal.

t-tauri
05-07-2005, 20:40
I can't see them doing it for all minis unless some nut in marketing wants to try clicky style random boosters. :(

That would probably cut sales as Warhammer/40k are games about having specific models. Where I'd think it'll appear is on character models or maybe for blisters being sold through the independents where the flash packaging makes it more attractive as an impulse purchase.

Alpharius
05-07-2005, 20:42
Let's hope that T-Tauri is right and that GW isn't going towards a "Risk/Reward" random miniature thing...

That would be painful, and I have to think it would *not* lead to any increase in sales as people "chase" after a certain miniature...

plasmadaemon
05-07-2005, 21:07
The thing is, with blisters we have that much more resoures, firstly you have the polystyrene which can be very usefull for D.I.Y cases, secondly the plastic can be used to build quick drop pods (that is, glue 3 of them together so that they are facing outwards each other, and you got your basic drop pod shape).
The most obvious advantage of blisters is that you can see whats inside them, so you can check for broken parts/flash/model pieces.

And i honestly think if this packaging style starts, GW stores will look like they have horrendous amounts of chupa-chupes on their shelves.

Something like this (http://cabanedebart.free.fr/images/chupabart.jpg)

Ruskins
05-07-2005, 21:10
I doubt it would be too hard for gw to leave an unprinted area to make a 'window'.

wldside
05-07-2005, 21:16
While they do look nice I have to agree with everyone else in saying getting rid of blisters is a huge mistake. One of the main reasons I don't play any of the click-style games is that I don't like have to shell out tons of money on mini's I know for a fact I will never use. It's one thing if I choose to buy a single mini just because I think it's cool ( I think most of us have done this from time to time ) but it's quite another when I have to buy dozens of mini's I don't want just to get the one particular mini that I do want.

Malakai
05-07-2005, 21:24
I can't believe that GW would package all of their blister line into these little packages. This seems to me something that would-obviously-cause a huge customer relations disaster. It wouldn't take very long for them to start packaging their items in blisters again. Trust me guys, this was just a fancy package for a special GD model.

Malakai

t-tauri
05-07-2005, 21:28
Trust me guys, this was just a fancy package for a special GD model.

I agree entirely about the potential for another PR disaster, but I can't believe that the equipment for this packaging comes cheap. I have to think GW will get their money's worth by using it on a lot of miniatures.

Brimstone
05-07-2005, 21:33
I agree entirely about the potential for another PR disaster, but I can't believe that the equipment for this packaging comes cheap. I have to think GW will get their money's worth by using it on a lot of miniatures.

Unless as I said in my original post they had them contract packed and there are plenty of companies around capable of doing that.

Alpharius
05-07-2005, 21:41
Seeing as I deal with them a lot where I work, I have to second what Brim is saying: there are a LOT of companies willing to do this at prices that would amaze you...

So, don't let the potential required capital purchase make you think GW wouldn't do it...

Just hope that they won't as it wouldn't make a lot of sense...

Uh oh.

nurgle_boy
05-07-2005, 21:42
oh god, soon GW will start making 'random army booster packs'

i can imagine the kids if it happened

"come on grey knight hero in terminator armour!!..... awww.. not another servo skull..."

XaNder
05-07-2005, 21:42
Just a thought: metal miniatures are quite spiky... I think they could tear through such plastics easily enough. Especialy if the package they come in may move as it is not fixed in any way. (blisteers at least were designed to be stuck one atop another in a way that permitted only minimal movement chance.

Anyhow, from the other point of view, I can see GW printing the content on the package or letting a sethrough window in the package itself.

My 2c,
XaNder

Alpharius
05-07-2005, 21:45
If they are going this route, the see-through window would probably be the best solution.

It still wouldn't be as nice (or allow the miniature to be as visible as it is now), but it would at least let you see what you're buying!

Random "Booster" packs really don't have a place in the "GW Hobby", do they?

nurgle_boy
05-07-2005, 21:45
wait... with packagaes like that, shoplitfting would be easy....

go up to the packet, pull out a sharp knife, slit down one side, and just tip the mini discreetly into your pocket/hand....

i can see some thieving losers doing that....

plasmadaemon
05-07-2005, 21:52
wait... with packagaes like that, shoplitfting would be easy....

go up to the packet, pull out a sharp knife, slit down one side, and just tip the mini discreetly into your pocket/hand....

i can see some thieving losers doing that....

That will take around 20 seconds at least, and by that time a staff member will come up to you and ask you if you need help. :eyebrows:

Shoplifting from GW is easy anyway, our store hasn't got any cameras and the last rack of new releases is located about 3 feet from the bigass entrance, so er, you can literally 'walk' past the shop.

alterion
05-07-2005, 22:09
just think about those adverts for the chocolate footbalss with little footballers inside.. now for marines.. the song might have to be changed abit but ..

doktorziplok
05-07-2005, 22:36
i dunno, "random mini" may just be exactly what gw wants. let's take an eldar warlock for example. if i order one from mail order i can pay $10 to get a "random" one, however for an extra buck or two i get to specify which one i want. seriously, go to the online shop and check it out, you will pay a premium to have exactly what you want.

this could be a move to nudge indy sales down. you could go and buy a "random" space marine veteran from your local indy store, or get the specific one you want from mo...and heck, if yo're going to place an order you might as well get the rest of the stuff you need too.

aznsk8s87
05-07-2005, 23:51
oh god, soon GW will start making 'random army booster packs'

i can imagine the kids if it happened

"come on grey knight hero in terminator armour!!..... awww.. not another servo skull..."

That just cracked me up lol.

this could be a move to nudge indy sales down. you could go and buy a "random" space marine veteran from your local indy store, or get the specific one you want from mo...and heck, if yo're going to place an order you might as well get the rest of the stuff you need too.

Go to the B&C, check the Amicus Aedes section, and look for a stickied thread about prices and stuff; it's the only civil debate on the topic on that board.

Crazy Harborc
06-07-2005, 03:27
Considering the prices paid the minies should all be packaged in see though well protected heavy duty boxes. When in shipping boxes what will keep the bags on the bottom of the pile from being mashed by the weight of the stuff laying on top of them.

x-esiv-4c
06-07-2005, 04:16
Didn't they do something like this on the limited EoT zombie release?

athamas
06-07-2005, 07:41
the have done this with the zombie pirates!

Brimstone
06-07-2005, 07:47
They also did it for the LatD release.

May indicate a use for short run releases where it isn't worth going to the expense of generating printed materials unlike regular stock items.

f2k
06-07-2005, 07:51
I don’t really see the problem here…

The packaging in the blister packs has, AFAIK, always been random…

Also, how many blister packs do we actually use? Most regiments these days include a full command in the box, so no need for blister packs there.

Those regiments that are still metal would be the only ones to experiencing problems. And if GW comes through with the all-plastic core range plan (here’s to hoping that they do), then the problem will be even smaller because there’ll be no need for blister packs in the first place.

So, that only leaves characters to be packed in a blister pack. And if the new SM range is to set a new standard, then there’ll be few of these blister packs as well.

Darius Rhiannon
06-07-2005, 08:02
Maybe they should just make the packs entirely transparent.

Karhedron
06-07-2005, 08:40
Shoplifting from GW is easy anyway, our store hasn't got any cameras and the last rack of new releases is located about 3 feet from the bigass entrance, so er, you can literally 'walk' past the shop.
I have it even easier. My office is part of the same building as a GW store and we share the same secure car park. They always leave their back door unlocked since the car park is not open to members of the public. However I have a security pass meaning I could just wait until one of the staff is on lunch break and then stroll into the stock room by the back door.

Of course being an honest person I have never done this but every price rise makes the temptation that little bit worse. ;)

philbrad2
06-07-2005, 09:45
Didn't they do something like this on the limited EoT zombie release?

And the Lustria Zombie pirates. Basically got differing sprues and put them in the bags you normally get the ruins, battlefield accessories or jungle trees sprues in. Cheap and simple packaging and kit. Not a bad idea really.

:chrome:

Inquis. Jaeger
06-07-2005, 10:22
With the picture of this guy on the front, perhaps more individual packaging is called for? Perhaps they should just take loads of photos of models (if, like Marine Vets, Warlocks etc there are lots of different combinations) and put on the packaging the Eavy Metal painted model of EXACTLY what's inside?

Wraithlord
06-07-2005, 11:53
That, or a small Pic on the backside, which specific Model is in the Bag, and a generic Pic on the front just showing what type of Model is inside.

BloodiedSword
06-07-2005, 12:16
I can't see this being a success with normal minis. Even with blisters, anything long and thin is likely to be badly bent by the time you get it, and with these packets it's more likely to be even worse.

Plus, it just doesn't feel right to be getting minis out of a packet like that. Though... Ooooooh!

GW could start their own brand of cereal, and put a random packet like this in selected boxes!?

:wtf:

Xander-K
06-07-2005, 12:32
did any of you posters actually read the entire thread? rather than worrying your socks off when you see the first post and type as hard as you can about how lame the new packaging is, please refer to post # 7

rkunisch
06-07-2005, 12:51
With the picture of this guy on the front, perhaps more individual packaging is called for? Perhaps they should just take loads of photos of models (if, like Marine Vets, Warlocks etc there are lots of different combinations) and put on the packaging the Eavy Metal painted model of EXACTLY what's inside?
That would be an interesting approach. The only question is, would this not be too expensive? GW is cost cutting everywhere (granted not on prices ;)), so individual packaging would be a huge step backward. If this is not a marketing ploy, it would be a really bad idea as it increases the need to store a lot of different packing material.

It looks nice, so much I can say. It may be a test to boost sales. Still, it would be really interesting to find some foil minis in there. :rolleyes: :p

Have fun,

Rolf.

Inquis. Jaeger
06-07-2005, 13:59
In response to -

did any of you posters actually read the entire thread? rather than worrying your socks off when you see the first post and type as hard as you can about how lame the new packaging is, please refer to post # 7

Post #7 -

It's probably only for limited run-items. Remember the Zombie-Pirate sprues, lately? They came in a bag-like packing as well.

I inquired my GW-staff about those, and they said such packaging is only meant for models that will go to mail order-only soon, and not be part of the regular range.

It's possibly the same thing(?)

I'm sorry, does this explain the be all and end all of this entire topic? Does this one post negate the need for any discussion whatsoever? Does it extrapolate and deconstruct every single meaning, nuance, thought, notion, idea, rumour or creative iota of possibility to do with this topic? No. So kindly keep your vitriol to yourself.

This post refers solely to the 'grab-bag' style packaging used on the 'collective' kits such as LATD and Zombie Pirates. It was mentioned as a possibility here as to maybe it was the same idea.

Xander-K
06-07-2005, 14:22
In response to -
I'm sorry, does this explain the be all and end all of this entire topic? Does this one post negate the need for any discussion whatsoever? Does it extrapolate and deconstruct every single meaning, nuance, thought, notion, idea, rumour or creative iota of possibility to do with this topic? No. So kindly keep your vitriol to yourself.

to be honest, most of this thread is "panic" and not exactly much debate, so yes it does pretty much debunk most of what has been said, it just seemed everyone ignored gaebriels comment as if it was fools talk and took the first post as stone fact that all blisters were to be abolished.

This post refers solely to the 'grab-bag' style packaging used on the 'collective' kits such as LATD and Zombie Pirates. It was mentioned as a possibility here as to maybe it was the same idea.
yes and he is saying that these bags will also be used for mail order purposes, you say it was mentioned as a "possibility" but then what is every post in this thread based on? possibilities, so you can't discredit it so easily with that logic.

To be honest what do you think is more likely

(a) GW turning all blister into cartoony looking packs, which are clearly very very unpopular and wouldn't help sales.

(b) use cartoony pack for certain special mail order models, as gaebriel suggested.

Inquis. Jaeger
06-07-2005, 15:13
to be honest, most of this thread is "panic" and not exactly much debate, so yes it does pretty much debunk most of what has been said, it just seemed everyone ignored gaebriels comment as if it was fools talk and took the first post as stone fact that all blisters were to be abolished.

No, the first post was not taken as stone fact. There has been much debate over 2 points -

a) Whether this packaging will replace blisters and
b) If it does, so, how effective it will be, as well as problems it might throw up.

This is all pure speculation at the moment, and just as much speculation as Gaebriel's post. No-one knows for sure, all we have is that photo. Therefore, speculation is all anyone can do, and criticising EVERYONE for doing what we are here to do - namely comment and discuss our opinion on this topic seems rather offensive.

Gaebriel's comment was speculation that this might be the same as a 'grab-bag'. Where is the evidence to back this up? There is none. It is pure speculation and theory, the same as everyone else. Why then, should we, as you so obviously do, choose to believe in this one theory and one theory alone? Are we not allowed to speculate on other reasons why this model is packaged thus?

Surely if you had wished to promote this theory by Gaebriel, you could have done it in a much more constructive way than criticising everyone else for not paying attention to what you think is right, and high-handingly pointing people to a single post 3 pages back that you seem to think makes everything else worthless? This seems very small-minded and critical, not to mention completely against the principles something like Warseer tries to promote - namely sparking creative debate in a friendly atmosphere and the constructive discussion of our hobby.

yes and he is saying that these bags will also be used for mail order purposes, you say it was mentioned as a "possibility" but then what is every post in this thread based on? possibilities, so you can't discredit it so easily with that logic.

I'm afraid I don't understand what point you are trying to put across here. Gaebriel initially pointed out that a) 'Grab-bag' style bags were used for loose-sprue, collective kits. b) That such packaging is usually used for items that have a limited run in the shops and then go to MO order.

I wasn't seeking at any point to 'discredit' Gaebriel's post. It was a valid and informative post. All I was trying to point out was that Gaebriel mentioned it stating that this principle may possibly be used on this item - namely a limited run. This, as I stated, and as you agree, is a possibility. The entire point of my argument was that this entire thread is speculation and possibility, and you (and I mean you, Xander-K) cannot condescendingly discredit and deem worthless the entire thread apart from one post, just because you feel that that post has answered and completed the discussion on the topic, as you seem, weirdly, to be doing.

Samoth
06-07-2005, 15:42
Xander-K, (with no dis-respect to gaebriel) post # 7 was by no means the be all end all of this thread. I'm suprised you didnt cite pertinax's first post.

Cmon mate, two words. Red shirts (again, no disrespect, this is aimed at the... lack of authenticity in red shirt's rumours).

FlameKnight
06-07-2005, 15:46
What might also be a problem with the "random mini" thing, is that you'd get little children trying to feel the bag for which mini is in it, also increasing the chance that the mini gets damaged if it's the wrong one.

And don't think nobody would do this, when I started the hobby there were some kids who would tell stories of stealing blisters from GW.

The packaging does look pretty though, and I'd welcome it for limited run figures.

self biased
06-07-2005, 15:59
this might be a far-out idea, but has anyone considered asking someone in GW about this?

Ruskins
06-07-2005, 16:01
this might be a far-out idea, but has anyone considered asking someone in GW about this?

BURN THE HERETIC!

ObiWan
06-07-2005, 16:10
BURN THE HERETIC!

ROTFL!! That just made my day :p

self biased
06-07-2005, 16:17
excuse me for wanting to use occam's razor.

Inquisitor Samos
06-07-2005, 16:22
Don't take it personally: it's just the typical semi-sarcastic reaction to anyone suggesting that we should ask :eek: "Them" :eek: !

;)

Inquis. Jaeger
06-07-2005, 16:24
Reckon they're like Voldemort? They Who Must Not Be Named? :D

Cenyu
06-07-2005, 16:25
After all the section is called "Rumour Discussion"..... asking GW would spoil all the fun.

:p

chiaroscuros
06-07-2005, 16:28
just a thought... wouldn't most of the problems be solved by doing two things.

1. having a small clear vision panel on the packaging
2. having a two layer package system. essencially, i am envisioning a hard plastic shell with a hinged snap-together lid in the shape of the current blister shell. slip this inside the slick plastic bag and you get eye appeal, protection for the mini, and a great way to carry/store/organize small bits till you get around to the latest project.... and you can still use it for building drop pods or as a painting palette. heck, with nicely rounded edges, i can see carrying the odd model around in my pocket with it....

it costs a little more, but everyone is happy and it has the eye appeal necessary to sell at convenient stores and "walmart" type stores. and lord help us, it lets them selectively get rid of the vision panel to increase sales (but this is a terrible idea and i can't say enough negative things about it!!!)

my two bolter shells

gojira1
06-07-2005, 16:40
Call me negative. But I can see them using the trading game approach on this. By not letting you see what is in the package they hope to get people to buy the same thing over and over again just to get the mini thay originally wanted. Just like a pack of cards. :mad: :cries:

Inquis. Jaeger
06-07-2005, 16:44
That's not GW's style. They've always tried to ensure the customer knows what he's getting - online bitz etc

Sildani
06-07-2005, 17:08
1. having a small clear vision panel on the packaging

Well, then you'd have the problem of needing to manipulate the miniature through the bag to insure you see all of it through the (possibly) tiny window - make sure the stance, mold quality etc. is what you want to pay for. Then you have the problem of crinkled-up bag plastic from all the other customers that have done the same thing, and the possibility that a sharp bit has poked through.

Your second idea, though, has great merit.

I feel that, in this case, the simplest explanation is the best one. GW contracted this packaging work out for limited runs. I doubt they give up on the blisters.

Xander-K
06-07-2005, 18:39
No, the first post was not taken as stone fact. There has been much debate over 2 points -

you really think so? give me some examples where the same point hasn't been repeated over and over for the first few pages, apart from gaebriels comment its all pretty much "oh noes they will destroy my lovely blister packs"

Brimstone
06-07-2005, 19:07
This poses the question is this just for Gamesday or the start of a new type of packaging for blisters? ]

Well the question was asked in my first post, unless someone has something in writing from GW stating that this is just limited run models there is nothing wrong with a bit of debate although I do wish people would stop and think about things before posting.

All debate is welcome although I'm none too impressed with the debate about the debate.

highmarshaldave
06-07-2005, 19:07
:wtf: Xander-K

It seems more probable that the "bag" is for limited runs or special presentations (Gamesday or campaign specials etc). The design is prety impracticle from a transport point of view; a merchendising point of view and a through and through customer service poin of view. If they do drop blisters, its possible we may see more individual packed models (as opposed to a blister of 2 or 3). That way they can have an image of the specific mini in the bag. In this way you know what you're getting (ie. kasrkin model number 2) as opposed to a random model, and the individual bag costs less.

In saying that, I think that blisters are the better idea over the whole range. They do offer more protection, are easier to store and have a number of uses ove a small bag. Sure they may not look as nice, but its whats on the inside that counts is it not?

Dave out.

boogle
06-07-2005, 19:26
yeah it if they went down this route it would mean that you wouldn't be able to check for missing bits, it would make sense though for MO/Special Edition models

Crazy Harborc
06-07-2005, 20:54
It only would figure too. Price hikes in the UK and USA...........THEN do something to cut packaging costs after the price hikes, partly to cover packaging costs.

The Inquisitor
07-07-2005, 04:46
I saw one of these 'bagged' deals containing the pirate zombie models they just came out with... I asked myself 'what are they thinking?!?!?' far too susceptible to damage, esp. for the price you are paying.... Are the zombies a spec. item?

Wiseman
07-07-2005, 07:02
dont like the new packaging, it looks fancier then blisters which measn a price hike.

Brimstone
07-07-2005, 07:10
dont like the new packaging, it looks fancier then blisters which measn a price hike.

I heard the GM had a cold which also means a price hike. :rolleyes:

Just because it's more "fancy" doesn't mean it's more expensive, flow wrapping is cheap to procure but like plastics the intial outlay is high but can be amortized over the number of blisters produced.

This is a discussion on packaging not prices.

Wiseman
07-07-2005, 07:52
I heard the GM had a cold which also means a price hike. :rolleyes:

Just because it's more "fancy" doesn't mean it's more expensive, flow wrapping is cheap to procure but like plastics the intial outlay is high but can be amortized over the number of blisters produced.

This is a discussion on packaging not prices.

no but knowing GW they will charge more for it. though i do like the look of the packaging

Karhedron
07-07-2005, 08:36
I saw one of these 'bagged' deals containing the pirate zombie models they just came out with... I asked myself 'what are they thinking?!?!?' far too susceptible to damage, esp. for the price you are paying.... Are the zombies a spec. item?
The Zombie pirates (like the LatD mized bag from EoT) is a special case. Sprues will not fit in blisters but the Zombie Pirates are only being offered in stores for a short amount of time (for the Lustria campaign). This means it would be too expensive to come up with fancy box art for them since the work would be taken off the shelves in 3 months time. The compromise is to use bags for these sort of special cases. This fits in with Gaebriel's post about only being for splash releases.

The boyz
07-07-2005, 15:46
They do look quite snazzy, but I must admit they dont look very sturdy for packaging, which could result in minatures being broken.

amedius
07-07-2005, 22:45
Well, it's a step forward in the design area, but a huge leap backwards in question of the consumer relations.

I would really hate buying, for example one of the new HE heroes and see I got the White Lion one when I wanted the Longbow armed one.

If they take care of that problem though, I can't say I care much, although it do look less serious than the blisters.

/Adrian

but what they may do is to put a picture of the exact model(s) on the front so you know what you are getting.

another problem is that when they have miss packs they will not be able to see if anything is missing in a blister before it is opened.

Darkness
08-07-2005, 11:57
They can't exactly put a picture of the exact model on each pack unless they were hand-checked beforehand. For example, what about Killa Kans with their different weapon options, or even the blisters of Ork Grots? There is no way they could package them so you knew what was inside each and every one, and nor would you know whether the models are even correct, if they have horrible mold lines, or if they are damaged.

I sincerely hope this is a one-off special character blister pack - the current ones are perfect as they are. This new one makes the model look like a toy, where you would expect a free lollypop inside, which is just ridiculous - the current blisters let you know what you're buying, and make the hobby look serious.

Darkness
08-07-2005, 13:47
Sorry to double post, but I did make the previous one about 2 hours ago...

Have been given word from my GW's Manager* that this packaging is for Limited Edition models only. It is apparently not cost efficient to put the one-off models in blister packs, and it is quicker too to put them in these 'bags' than it is to put them in a standard blister pack too.

So in other words, they are not here to stay, only for Limited Edition one-off models where it would be cheaper to put them in the bags than in the usual blister packs.

*By GW Manager I do not mean the standard "I know nuffin'" GW Manager. The GW Manager I speak of used to work at Head Office and visits there regularly, before anyone claims "It's a GW Manager, what do they know?"

BloodiedSword
08-07-2005, 21:14
Sounds kinda logical.. plus limited edition models tend to be all the same, i.e. no option of different combinations of bits, so you'd know exactly what was in each one.

Crazy Harborc
09-07-2005, 02:45
Nice to know it's only for limited eds. Hey, in my book, first class prices deserve first class packages to be sold in.

magos_mechanicus
09-07-2005, 20:40
What will I make all my windows out of if they replace blister packs? I ain't paying for clear plasticard!

Duymon
09-07-2005, 21:12
The whole point of blisters is so that you can inspect the model(s) before you buy it. If a model has a casting flaw and such, you pick another one up.

As for the random models...jesus I hope they don't put them in bags. It would make getting what you want alot more painful. For example, the veteran blisters for SM. Imagine how much trouble you'd go through if you wanted the power-axe guy and..say..the beaky and you wanted the sickle-clip SB. It's bad enough looking at all the blisters for it, it'd be worse to have to buy tons of these bags >_<

portentjunkie
10-07-2005, 05:56
The whole point of blisters is so that you can inspect the model(s) before you buy it. If a model has a casting flaw and such, you pick another one up.

Actually, the point of blisters is cheap packaging and no need for artwork on the package. That's why blister packs and clamshell packaging is always so popular, less time and cost involved.

evil
10-07-2005, 19:55

I hope this packaging isn't replacing the blister packs.

-Wez

I agree entirely, I hope they keep the blisters I want to be able to see what I'm paying large amounts of cash for

ttfn

Crazy Harborc
11-07-2005, 03:32
I strongly suggest opening boxes and or non-see thru bags at/in the store be it indie or GW store. I know people who have had "problems" getting a replacement for damaged and or part is missing minies.

highmarshaldave
11-07-2005, 14:10
Isn't that generaly frowned upon? I've had no issues with the GW replacement system here in the UK (its open to soooo much abuse).

Dave out.

Hymirl
11-07-2005, 19:28
Random model buying? Hey, for GW's next great idea (yet another price rise aside of course) they can indroduce models that are randomly better than their otherwise idential counterparts, like the foil covered terminator! And the highly limited edition golden gretchen!

On a more serious note, blister packs are great both for GW and for users when buying the models in terms of identifcation and protection of the model and also as a multitude of secondary uses from mini paint mixer trays, foam for drybrushing and the always loved model window fodder. Hurrah for the simple blister pack.

boogle
11-07-2005, 21:08
also when i worked for the company we were told that blister packs are a good anti theft device as they are a distinctive shape and rattle with the model inside

cpl_hicks
11-07-2005, 22:05
from the looks of the package, it dosent look that flexiable, maybe some kind of strengtaning in the bottom of the package, could also be made from a stronger, less foiled package than what you get the card and gum things in

also blista packs arnt that random, the most randomness you get is a gun held in a differat position, these new designs would be good, if what you see on the front and the back are the same as whats inside, if you look closely at the image you can see, a painted version of the model on the back aswell as the way it can be constructed, much like the cardboard boxes used to hold troops/craft etc

also i dont think that it would cost to much, im not sure but there might be specific rules/laws that define how much cardboard
((made from wood made from trees) for all the americans out there :P), could be used, a standard blista pack has a probebly a 1 inch by 2 inch peice of cardboard, with the foam and the plastic blista, thats going to cost quite a bit on natual materials and processing and other costs, while a machine that simple flow raps would in comparision i think be quite cheep, most companies uses this kind of packaging cause it reduces the amount of materials used, also i think that it would take less storage space, cause it could be stored on a large role, which is then fixed to the machine, while the blista packages would have to be stored in boxe(the foam/formed plastic take up some space)

i also dont really see what the problem is with the size of models, the package bage could simple be made larger, the fragility of the items as well might not be a problem, just look at crisps/chocolate bars, they are flow rapped and most times ou dont get them damaged,

the shop liffting thing might be a problem, but if you think of the sound a crisp package makes, then you might have some idea of how this package might sound

Crube
11-07-2005, 22:12

the shop liffting thing might be a problem, but if you think of the sound a crisp package makes, then you might have some idea of how this package might sound

If the new style packaging does end up cheaper, then i reckon on security tags in each pack.

Actually, having seen first hand the staffing levels needed to pack minis in blisters, an automated packingmachine, although an expensive initial investment, would probably be a more cost effective way of packing minis.

Still doesnt mean to say I like it though....

Crazy Harborc
12-07-2005, 02:26
I see nothing wrong with opening a box/bag/blister AFTER it's paid for. I have seen buyers at the local GW and at various indie stores in (four states) do the same. I started doing so after "problems" a couple of years ago.

The problem was solved....thanks to my receiving help from the credit card issuing bank :D I found out the merchant had a track record of problems. Buy with a credit card and you will be helped out with legit problems (in the USA anyway) that can't be resolved with a store/merchant/owner. ;)

twisted_mentat
12-07-2005, 03:46
they could always be made of CLEAR plastic...you could see whats inside easily..

highmarshaldave
12-07-2005, 10:00
That'd make it more difficult to see what was printed on 'em! unless it was a clear bag with a double-sided, printed, backing. But after doing that, why not just stick with blisters?

Dave out.

my_name_is_tudor
12-07-2005, 15:35
It could always be a clear bag, screen printed all white/black on the back side, with the front side clear apart from an illustration of the finished model in one corner, and the name all fancy like across the top,

this way you would have a window in to see the parts, as well as all the fancy colour photography GW could ever want.

Gopher2084
12-07-2005, 20:57
I like the idea of blisters. You are able to buy 1 model and know what it looks like, and what comes with it. I do not want to buy extra models to add the 1 extra that I needed. That would be a wast of money.

Master Fulgrim
13-07-2005, 01:19
Well, there is a point, nobody spoke of it: The transportation of the minis!

I worked for UPS as a loader some time ago and i had often enough boxes dedicated for my hometown-GW in my hands. The normal blisters are stable enough to survive the transportationprocess. But the loading and sorting of packets is a rough process, because it must go very quick. And with these new bags many figures might become damaged during loading. So, even if GW tries, they will go back to Blisters after a short time ;) .

Fulgrim

Crazy Harborc
13-07-2005, 02:10
GW will decide based on cost effectiveness.........NOT based upon customer satisfaction. I doubt that GW will "go back" before all the "trial packaging" is used up.

Malakai
13-07-2005, 02:35
Please people, you are worring over nothing. GW will not replace blister packs I assure you. This is a Games Day special and that's all.

Malakai

spud
13-07-2005, 03:26
GW isn't Wizkids, and Warhammer isn't Mageknight. So no, that won't be the new way to package GW miniatures. It's just a special thing for games day. More than likely there will be some printed fluff about the marine on the back, which would necessitate the need for a larger package.

EnDo
13-07-2005, 20:14
that sounds right. i think that the staff would know better than to switch to opaque packaging.

Cheers, Dan.

Wolfe
03-08-2005, 19:37
It looks cool but since some blisters have random models unless they make them transparent or they specify exacly what models are in there then i dont think it will satisfy costomers becuase they will not know what they are paying for.

erion
03-08-2005, 20:14
I may have posted this before, but I work for a company that does all kinds of special promotional packaging for all kinds of different companies. This kind of thing is done to order in specific quantities all the time for everything from movie-tie-in candy bars to special edition drink boxes. It's done by contract for a very specific price for a very specific unit count, and is likely being written off as a promotional expense.