PDA

View Full Version : The Quatermass Experiment.

Baggers
02-04-2005, 20:32
So BBC4 showed the first live BBC programme in 20 years and they showed the Quatermass Experiment. Which is undeniably one of the best Sci Fi shows. What were your thoughts on it.

My thoughts were, that the acting was good, and it kept you watching more of the story as it progressed, though it felt just a tad rushed towards the end of the story.

I felt it was good that you only spotted the camera crew right towards the end as Quatermass exited after defeating the alien consious.

Lapsed Pacifist
03-04-2005, 10:56
Well I was a bit disappointed, I'm a big SF fan and heard and read a lot about Quatermass (it's a bit of legendary show in the UK), but never saw any of the originals (were they lost?).

Really the whole mixing of time periods, it might of been intentional stylistic thing but I don't think it worked they should of forked out to make it a period pieace or just updated the script a bit more, in the end it was just a bit of a muddle.

I'll give the actors there dues it must have been tough (the only one I noticed fluff it up was the one off Teachers who obviously forgot his lines at one point which was quite funny) but still it felt like they could've done with a few more rehearsals.

Overall, it suffered from the typical British SF problem of not having the budget to do the ideas justice.

Minister
03-04-2005, 12:30
My thought - the timing was terrible. For some reason they scheduled against Farscape and whilst Hornblower was on (He who bought the telly can override my choice, and I rather like Hornblower in any case), thus I did not see it.

Why can't they have the things I want to watch on at times which don't overlap?

Baggers
03-04-2005, 12:38
Well I was a bit disappointed, I'm a big SF fan and heard and read a lot about Quatermass (it's a bit of legendary show in the UK), but never saw any of the originals (were they lost?).

The orginal Quatermass Experiment like the BBC4 version last night went out live, and as video recording was in its infancy only two episode were actually recorded out of the six broadcast. However the Doctor Who restoration team (http://www.restoration-team.co.uk/) have lovingly restored the surviving episodes and the episodes from the other stories Quatermass 2 and Quatermass and the pit, for dvd release very soon, ie Tomorrow April fourth.

I'll give the actors there dues it must have been tough (the only one I noticed fluff it up was the one off Teachers who obviously forgot his lines at one point which was quite funny) but still it felt like they could've done with a few more rehearsals.

There were a few more mistakes, including a microphone boom coming into shot at one point, and when the scientist are running from the press conference to where the medical room, as the astronaught has escaped, you can see that David Tennant almost slips and falls to the gorund, though he manages to stay upright. And there is the camera visiable right at the end as Quatermass walks out of the infected Art Gallery.

Wintermute
03-04-2005, 14:21
I thought last night's Quatermass broadcast went very well.

I wonder how many people tuned into the show because of David Tarrant's involvement who is rumoured to be replacing Christopher Ecclestone as the Doctor?

Marsekay
04-04-2005, 01:37
I'm really confused.
Wasnt Quatermass an old old Film or 3
I remember seeing Quatermass and the pit late one night a few years ago.
Some old spaceship with hopping aliens on the moon in it or something.

Baggers
04-04-2005, 17:44
Orgianlly the BBC made all three shows as live six part serials. However in the sixites, Hammer made a film version of Quatermass and the Pit, and the Beeb also re edited the Quatermass and the Pit for two hour and a half long slots in the sixties.

Yes Quatermass and the Pit does deal with a chrashed spaceship

EDIT: Upon further research all of the Quatermass stories may have been made into films by Hammer.

Wintermute
04-04-2005, 18:06
EDIT: Upon further research all of the Quatermass stories may have been made into films by Hammer.

The last Quatermass story entitled just "Quatermass" was made as a four part tv series in the 1980s by ITV starrimg Sir Johnn Mills in the lead role.

We therefore have:

The Quatermass Experiment
Quatermass II
Quatermass and the Pit
and
Quatermass

Baggers
04-04-2005, 19:36
The last Quatermass story entitled just "Quatermass" was made as a four part tv series in the 1980s by ITV starrimg Sir Johnn Mills in the lead role.

I only learnt of about the final Quatermass show after I caught the end of the programme about the writter of Quatermass, Nigel Kneale. Apperntly its a bit crap and was only done because the ITV were facing a strike.

EDIT: Thanks Wintermute.

Wintermute
04-04-2005, 19:44
I only learnt of about the final Quatermass show after I caught the end of the programme about the writter of Quatermass, who name has momentarily escaped me now. Apperntly its a bit crap and was only done because the ITV were facing a strike.

Nigel Kneale is the name you're searching for.