PDA

View Full Version : Poll for screeners

Martyr
17-11-2006, 15:49
Just a quick poll for my information, I have noticed in my own games that beast herds seem to be a bit better screeners than the warhounds, some say screamers are good as well though costly. What would you all rate each at?

beastgod
17-11-2006, 16:00
I would say herds becuse -1 to hit and can screen a long line and is cheap...
Another unit thats good is actully furies becuse they dont run as screamers but cheaper.... anb becuse they dont run they dont give units behind panic...

just my thoughts....

Mephistofeles
18-11-2006, 18:33
Well, that depends on what you are willing to pay. Screamers and Beast herds are a lot more expensive then warhounds. Warhounds are good screeners simply because they are so cheap.

I would say Warhounds. In fact, does beastherds really block LOS, I though you could see through skirmishers?

Martyr
18-11-2006, 18:59
Skirmishers do block LoS, in reality they wouldn't I know but they do according to the rules.

-Martyr

Mephistofeles
18-11-2006, 19:12
I thought the rules said that as long as you can draw Actual LOS though skirmishers, you can also fire through them. But there you go, I was wrong, sorry for that.

In that case, Beast Heards are the best screeners, but also much more expensive then hounds. The big difference is that beastheards can actually fight well...They are better.

Von Wibble
19-11-2006, 15:01
Can you vote all 3??

Screamers can also assassinate wizards who think chaos' lack of missiles make it safe to leave units, as well as war machines. Hounds can count flank charges and have some speed to them. Hounds in flank + chariot can deal with a surprisingly high number of units.

Beastherds as screens meanwhile can move through terrain, are -1 to be hit and can win combats.

My opposing army is most frequently chaos. Only in all khorne (for example) armies would I not see all 3 units taken. All can screen. All can fil another role in addition. What more do you need?

Wings of Doom
19-11-2006, 17:29
Screamers can also assassinate wizards who think chaos' lack of missiles make it safe to leave units, as well as war machines. Hounds can count flank charges and have some speed to them. Hounds in flank + chariot can deal with a surprisingly high number of units.

None of that is screening, which is what you should be voting for... I voted Beatheards. They are almost as fast as hounds, much cheaper than screamers, are the cheapest cash-wise, are skirmishers, are (or at least should have) higher unit strength and leadership so are less likely to panic than hounds, and I think thats about enough reasons to take them.

Von Wibble
19-11-2006, 18:26
My point is that each unit can fill a number of useful roles for only a few points. Thus all should be taken. Why should a unit be taken focusing on just one strength? Look at how it will cope in games where screening is not required also.

Strictly looking at screening ability for points the beastherd is the best. But then again, it uses a special choice and not a core chioce.

popisdead
19-11-2006, 23:03
You can stretch out 10 beastmen wisder than 10 warhounds, and less likely to panic and die just as easily (less so after the first 5 ;).

However you can redirect a charging unit with a herd as you can with a warhound. I'd take two units of hounds and a crappy herd set to only die.

Injun
20-11-2006, 16:48
...I'd take two units of hounds and a crappy herd set to only die.

That is actually what I do most of the time. It's always great to see the faces of the enemy when they turn tail and run from a unit that is fielded to die and nothing else, tying their unit up long enough for my Knights and Horsemen to finish the job.

Thank you all for the votes, it seems as though the Beast Herd is winning marginally with 51.85%, and the hounds are nipping their heels at 44.44%, which leaves the Screamers a feint sound in the distance with a 3.70%.

It makes sense to me that the Beast Herd would be the screeners of choice. The main advantage points of the herd is the fact that they can win combat, fight in 2 ranks (if the Ungors actually make it to the enemy line with the Gors), they skirmish/raid so enemy gun lines are at a -1 to hit them, theres more of them so they don't break as easy (plus they dont flee due to the loss of the Ungors).

The Hounds are cheaper per model and faster on foot, that's about the only advantage.

The Screamers I think are better suited for harrassment then screening, due to their high cost and their abilities are suited more toward the former. Slash the enemy unit, land on its flank slash the next, rinse and repeat. Then run what's left of your herd to their line, once they die (and if you dont have a horsemen unit or knights ready for flank) move in your Chosen Knights for the finishing touch.

Again, thank you for your votes. The poll is still up so please, those of you who haven't voted and added to the convo, don't be so shy

-Martyr

P.S - I forgot I signed in with this old account I never used lol sorry for the confusion.