PDA

View Full Version : Common goblins...what's the point?

stormfalcon
17-11-2006, 16:48
Ok, I want to include some smallish goblin blocks (~25 w/musician) between and slightly behind my orc infantry blocks (or maybe slightly in front since they don't Waaagh! as readily). Their role will be mostly to provide flank charges agains units the orcs engage.

Assuming that's a reasonable tactic, here's my problem. I've got quite a few spear and shield common gobbos from before the most recent army book came out, assembled and ready to go. They would certainly work in this role but, as we all know, they went up in price. In fact, I can't think of a reason why I shouldn't just use night goblins (even if I don't want fanatics) in this role (especially since they can use nets). It seems like night goblins can do the job of common goblins perfectly well, only cheaper.

So...is there any reason to use common goblins other than I want to (and I already have the models)?

Thanks for the feedback

GAWD
17-11-2006, 16:57
The common infantry gobbos are in worse shape this edition. But, they're still really useful in tandem w/NG nets. You can have a unit w/spears that has a 5+ armor save, and w/some ng buddies, that armor save will stick w/the nets. Or, you can just have them running around w/a 4+ AS and ng buddies reducing the strength of enemy attacks.

It shouldn't be too hard to get commons and ngs to team up on a unit, splitting frontage, so the trick to making decent use of commons is teamwork.

Still, I'm not bringing anywhere near as many as last edition.

Alex
17-11-2006, 21:01
Those spear-armed 5+ save common gobs cost 5 points each. I would never field them for that cost. I could still see myself using the 4+ save ones for 4p each though... but only if I lacked points or models to do a proper Orc unit.

Tutore
18-11-2006, 04:45
The common goblin may still be useful for the 4+ armour. They were toned down.

DeathlessDraich
18-11-2006, 10:11
IIRC they have a higher LD than NG.