PDA

View Full Version : 2000 pt Tomb Kings

zaitsev
17-11-2006, 21:07
I wanted to try my hands at a new army and chose Tomb Kings. I like the rules for this army and made a list with all elements in. I wanted shooting,magic & combat and i think the list gives me all i want.

Liche High Priest
Hierophant
Golden Ankrha
Hieratic Jar
Cloak of the Dunes

Liche Priest

Liche Priest
Dispel Scroll

Tomb Prince
General
Great Weapon

20 Skeleton Warriors
Shield, Full Command

15 Skeleton Warriors
Bow

15 Skeleton Warriors
Bow

20 Tomb Guard
Light Armour,Shield,Full Command
Banner of the Undying Legion

1 Tomb Scorpion

1 Tomb Scorpion

3 Ushabti

1 Screaming Skull Catapult
Skulls of the Foe

Skulls of the Foe

1999 pts

DeathlessDraich
18-11-2006, 09:45
A good list that could work.
A few observations:
1) Your Tomb Prince has no armour save - against spells that can pick out characters like 'eadbutt or special shooting Longrifle etc it will be vulnerable.
2) Magic Defence could be improved further with 1 more Scroll
3) 15 Archers is an odd number - it will be reduced to 14 very quickly and if you're thinking of reforming it before it is charged, it will have just 1 rank for CR.
Either try units of 10 Archers to shoot and divert chargers/sacrificials or 20 archers - unusual but works for some.
4) At least 2 characters will be taking refuge in 1 unit of 20 Skeletons. Assuming the Prince goes with the Tomb Guard, where would you place your 4th character?
5) Consider 1 Swarm and 1 Scorpion instead of 2 Scorpions. 2 Scorpions are great but you need the points elsewhere.
6) No chariots?! This is going to be the slow defensive TK army. With 2 Catapults it will be very effective, terrain permitting.

Kaiser
19-11-2006, 23:49
I wanted to try my hands at a new army and chose Tomb Kings. I like the rules for this army and made a list with all elements in. I wanted shooting,magic & combat and i think the list gives me all i want.

Liche High Priest
Hierophant
Golden Ankrha
Hieratic Jar
Cloak of the Dunes

Liche Priest

Liche Priest
Dispel Scroll

Tomb Prince
General
Great Weapon

needs armor, and if he has a chariot then a flail is better

20 Skeleton Warriors
Shield, Full Command

15 Skeleton Warriors
Bow

15 Skeleton Warriors
Bow

lower the size of these units to make more 10-strong units

20 Tomb Guard
Light Armour,Shield,Full Command
Banner of the Undying Legion

why not a 2nd unit?

1 Tomb Scorpion

1 Tomb Scorpion

3 Ushabti- dis them

Skulls of the Foe

Skulls of the Foe

1999 pts

You need Chariots. chariots with Tomb kings/princes are the best offensive unit you have. Obviously this means get rid of the Liche High priest and instead get a tomb King.

As Defense several 10-strong units of archers are good. For line regiments 20-strong skeletons are great, but if you have the points turning them into Tomb Guard are better.

Ushabti are not that good. They are powerful but are rather slow and too costly. With the saved points you could get more units of archers, tomb guard, and chariots.

Anodai
21-11-2006, 20:32
take the casket of souls. your catapult(s) force enemies towards you. then the kasket kills lots of everything, and the archers use double shooting on everybody.

the kasket makes :) :) become :skull: :skull:

long the tiger
28-05-2007, 22:25
ushabti are good but they have 2 do multiple charges with them and add some chariots mate

bedurnk
29-05-2007, 00:12
take the casket of souls. your catapult(s) force enemies towards you. then the kasket kills lots of everything, and the archers use double shooting on everybody.

the kasket makes :) :) become :skull: :skull:

I find the Casket of Souls is more than often dispelled by leftover dispel dice. The main things I like about the CoS is it's minus 1 to all enemy casting rolls, and the fact that people are scared of it and save dispel dice, letting your other spells go as planned. And half the time, unless you're fighting something such as skaven or orcs and goblins, the casket won't do too much due to average leadership or higher leadership. It's overal okay, but I never liked it too much.

Amazing model, though.

Be Afraid
29-05-2007, 00:21
well, i agree with swap 2x 15 archers for 3x 10, also, i would drop ushabti for a casket

also, i dissagree with chariots, put simply, everyone seems to like them, but the best TK lists i have seen have none, infact, ive only ever seen one list with them in, and that got severly wopped

sun tzu
29-05-2007, 02:09
chariots are good but would not fit in the unit mix in this list.
They would be on their own as the only fast bit of the list.

mortetvie
29-05-2007, 07:46
You kind of need/want ushabti. They are incredible in combat and you WILL get in combat.

If anything, I suggest taking some carrion instead of 1 scorpion to march block-march locking is a godsend for a shooty army as yours. Also, a casket isn't really advisable in small games like this (anything under 3k I don't take one). An extra catapult is usually better.

bedurnk
29-05-2007, 13:20
also, i dissagree with chariots, put simply, everyone seems to like them, but the best TK lists i have seen have none, infact, ive only ever seen one list with them in, and that got severly wopped

I've seen units of chariots be game winners. You just haven't seen a good chariot using general, apparently. They've done a great deal of good battle under my command.

That Guy
29-05-2007, 20:10
Tomb Kings work by soaking up charges with some of the best anvils in the game (Skellies) and then smacking the opponant with it's hard hitters (Ushabti, Chariots, and to some extent Heavy Horsemen). I think you need more heavy hitters. Add Chariots or heavy horse. Two Tomb Scorpions is a little overkill. Take some Carrion instead; they're fantastic.

Tomb Guard are one of hte most over-rated units in the game. They're too expensive to be a good anvil and don't hit hard enough/aren't manouverable enough to be a hammer. They suffer all the same problems as other elite infantry only they're not as killy. Most importantly, the fact that they're expensive US 1 models means that by using them you make it harder for yourself to outnumber your opponant, which is THE BIGGEST KEY TO VICTORY for a TK army.

That all being said, maybe the advice about is just a style thing, so best of luck to you.

Esco Thomson
29-05-2007, 20:19
Tomb Guard are one of hte most over-rated units in the game. They're too expensive to be a good anvil and don't hit hard enough/aren't manouverable enough to be a hammer. They suffer all the same problems as other elite infantry only they're not as killy. Most importantly, the fact that they're expensive US 1 models means that by using them you make it harder for yourself to outnumber your opponant, which is THE BIGGEST KEY TO VICTORY for a TK army.

That all being said, maybe the advice about is just a style thing, so best of luck to you.

I totally disagree with your points about Tomb Guard. They can be quite maneuverable with the Icon, and a unit of 20 in reality is only a bit more than a block of HW/Shield Skeletons. The increased Toughness, Strength, and KB seemingly make up the difference in my mind anyways.

Mad Makz
30-05-2007, 13:12

This would be true if not for one fact - Tomb Guard can be raised back. You raise back 6 Tomb Guard in a 24 strong unit across the course of a game and they are basically costing you only 75% of what you paid for them, PLUS they are sticking around and killing things, and they die considerably slower than Skellies in combat because of their toughness 4.

I wouldn't take a unit much less than max size very often though, because you need to be able to raise back to large enough numbers to win the war of attrition - but many very competitive TK armies have used Tomb Guard to great effect. They work VERY WELL as an anvil, they just need to be well supported by decent hammer units so they aren't stuck in a protracted fight for too long.

If you are planning on simply grinding down the enemy with a more static defensive line then Skeleton's work better i agree, because you can take more units, equip them with bows etc. But Tomb Guard can be very good - However I would also never pass up giving them the Icon of Rakaph (unless I was taking more than one unit) - It makes them a very real threat that can control a large area of the board.

CarlostheCraven
30-05-2007, 16:10
Hi

I will try to keep this to minor tweaks...

I would re-equip the high priest with the Collar, the Cloak, and the Staff of Ravening - you maintain your defense and manuevrability while improving your magic phase overall.

The prince could use a defensive toy of some sort - the ankhra is my prefered choice but we need to free 45 points...

The Combat Skellies are too small and the archers are too big - one block of at LEAST 25 is required, IMHO - drop 5 archers from each unit (80 pts) and buy 5 more skelies and give them light armour (65 points, leaving 15) - why raise lightly equiped skellies when you can raise armoured ones at the same rate?

The Tomb guard - I would want 25 and perhaps the icon of Rakaph for manuevrability. However you could bank on your opponents thinking that you have the Icon, until you reveal your actual banner. (especially in a tournament setting battling against a new foe).

If you drop a scorp for a swarm that frees up 40 points and it still does a good job of taking out war machines for you. you have 56 points free at this point - that is either the golden Ankra for the prince and a skeleton or 4 tomb guard.

Or you could drop skulls of the foe, which are fantastic in general, but for a tournament with high numbers of immune to psych armies/units - VC, Tomb Kings, Daemonic Legion, Khorne, Slaanesh, you could perhaps spend the points more efficiently. At 96 points free that buys you the ankhra and 4 tomb guard. I think that improves the resilience of your army quite a bit.

Also, chariot armies only rock consistently in gaming groups that do not have a large number of St7 units/models in the armies being played. In a tournament situation, I think they are a very risky bet.

Cheers,
Carlos the Craven

Maelx
30-05-2007, 16:47
I'm thinking seriously about my current army loadout and how to change it - perhaps I need more archers.

I think i'm going to be doing some list building when i get home this evening...