PDA

View Full Version : Baal is a what?

Icewalker
06-07-2005, 02:45
Just curious. I'm sure that many of you have played Diablo 2: LoD expansion set. I'm wondering, what in the h*ll is Baal modeled after? Some sort of mythical creature? Scorpion with 4 legs and 2 puny little arms? Please help me out here.

Strikerkc
06-07-2005, 02:49
Just curious. I'm sure that many of you have played Diablo 2: LoD expansion set. I'm wondering, what in the h*ll is Baal modeled after? Some sort of mythical creature? Scorpion with 4 legs and 2 puny little arms? Please help me out here.

As far as I know the good Baal is mentioned in some things, but I'm fairly certain the over all look was ripped purely from the minds of the designers.

Bubble Ghost
06-07-2005, 03:01
The name comes from a Canaanite god; it gets used a lot in contemporary pulp fantasy because he was specifically mentioned in the Bible as a false idol, which kind of makes him k3w1!!!11 I suppose. Appearance-wise Diablo's Baal isn't anything especially inspired that I'm aware of, it just kind of looks like Todd McFarlane threw up on a copy of Maya.

x-esiv-4c
06-07-2005, 04:08
Its what happens when designers hit crunch time.

Designer 1: "Oh *****, we're meant to finished making this game by Thursday"

Designer 2 (playing CS): "Wait....WHAT?!?!"

Designer 1: "crap crap crap....Think think think, ummm The final guy was going to be Ball right?"

Designer 2: "Baal..."

Designer 1: "Ball...Baal same damn thing, we need to give this guy powers!"

Designer 2: "Umm...how about lightening fire? No, diablo has that....What about...umm...Cloning?"

Designer 1: "Thats retarded....Really guy, thats just stupid"

Designer 2: "Yeah and easy to program...."

Designer 1: "Cloning it is!"

Ozorik
06-07-2005, 07:43
Ah the voice of cynicisim. He did have lighting fire though, it just came out in a V instead of a wave.. :angel:

He reminds me a bit of the boss in monsters inc but with stabby tenticles.

Kittah
06-07-2005, 08:04
Who cares? Diablo II and LoD are legendary and awesome to play :D

frog
06-07-2005, 17:31
baal was the carthaginian god of murder and war

Bubble Ghost
06-07-2005, 18:15
That was Baal Hamman (not 100% recollection on the spelling there), not just Baal, and he wasn't a god of war. The name Baal was incorporated into loads of gods in that general vicinity. It's the infamy of the Philistine one in the Bible that probably secures the name's usage today though...

Xavier
06-07-2005, 18:26
*starts playing d2 again*

*makes thread*

Anyone want to start playing d2 again :p

x-esiv-4c
06-07-2005, 18:27
Word. Hell yeah, love D2