PDA

View Full Version : What sort of game is Man'o'War?

ReDavide
19-11-2006, 08:24
One of my local Indy retailers has a Man'O'War boxed set on its clearance shelf.

Should I?

MordrekDaMean
19-11-2006, 08:36
yes... and give it to me for christmas.... please...

but seriously... check how much its goin for on Ebay... i saw an auction go up to $300 once....

WholeHazelNuts
19-11-2006, 09:51
What sort of game?!

Only one of the best GW games there was!

Naval combat, with damage depicted on targetting and damage templates. Magic rules, flyers the lot.

Excellent system and one that all us oldies wish they'd reprint or make new minis for. Highly recommend it! So get it while you can!:) ;)

Torgaddon
19-11-2006, 18:32
You must buy this game. It is that simple.
Hope you can find the supplements 'Seas of Blood' and 'Plague Fleet' too.

Daemon king Mad Dog
19-11-2006, 19:27
brilliant.

Reabe
19-11-2006, 19:54
One of my local Indy retailers has a Man'O'War boxed set on its clearance shelf.

Should I?

Damnit, man! That's Man O' War you're talking about! Even if you don't like it, you can always sell it on Ebay for twice the price you've paid for it!

sigur
19-11-2006, 20:21
Definitly buy it. Even it you don't play this seemingly very nice game (never actually played it, but I got the games mechanics explained to me and saw the stuff from the basic box+ the expansions once) you can sell it on ebay for mucho money.

McBain
21-11-2006, 15:16
Man 'o' War is to put it simply the game of the gods.... how i miss my bretonian fleet, i should really buy one again as i love it so much....

baphomael
25-11-2006, 23:13

Should I?

My god. Buy it. NOW
Dont open it. Man'o'war is only one of the most saught out OOP games there is. Its like gold.
No, its more valuable than gold.
That retailer really doesnt know what he's sitting on, does he?

And to qoute the epic and mighty band of the same name,

"Man'o'war! Born to live forever more..."

mark_logue
23-12-2006, 08:02
Just imagining someone rushing around Seattle Indy retailers trying to beat you to it and resell on ebay.

ReDavide
23-12-2006, 08:20
Nope... one of the staff just happened to lay his own box on the clearance table. :(

Mephistofeles
23-12-2006, 18:40
Oh, too bad. That would have been one seriously sweet deal.

Still, try to get hold of it, seems to have been a sweet game (although I was to small to play when it was around).

Daemon king Mad Dog
23-12-2006, 22:02
Dang...Unlcuky...

Diomedes
23-12-2006, 23:20
As has been said its an excellent game, I was working in GW Manchester when it got released, we opened a copy and set up a game for our games night.

Their were four of us working at that store and I don't think any of the customers got a look in! we just played it all day!

Shame it wasn't for sale after all.

spevna
24-12-2006, 13:23
It is wicked good.

I think they over did it with some races (sea faring Skaven????) but it is fun to play. You have ships, submersibles, flyers, magic, boarding actions.....the works.

Catferret
25-12-2006, 22:42
It was a great game. I leant my Dwarf fleet to a friend who wanted to learn how to play then he moved away not long after and didn't return my models. Needless to say he wasn't my friend after that...

Morgrad
28-12-2006, 00:26
I love Man'O'War! Too bad I haven't played it in over a decade and none of my friends ever got into it...... Is it actually worth that much?

I have it and both expansions sitting in my workshop (read: place where I store all the crap I don't have room for in my house - workshop is not actually used for work at this point........)

It's all crammed into one box and it's a little beat up, but I'm pretty sure it's complete. I even have my empire fleet in there!

Mayhaps I'll look at ebay and see what's what. Hehehehehe.

Morgrad
28-12-2006, 01:00
OK - I dug around, and here's what I have:

Man O' War, Sea of Blood, and maybe Plague Fleet. Did PF have its own rulebook? It's all in the Sea of Blood box mixed up willy-nilly (though mostly unpunched), and I can't tell at a glance if I have Plague Fleet or not.

I also have an Empire fleet consisting of:
1 Greatship
6 Wolfships
12 Wargalleys (plastic)
3 big-cannoned ships of some kind
3 wee-little mortar ships
3 griffon-riders

I also have 5 assorted sea-monsters.

All of the models are unpainted.

Everthing else is in very good shape, and I'm assuming I have all the counters, given that they're either unpunched or in little baggies. I was apparently very organized when I boxed it up years and years ago.

OK fellow Warseers - what do you think all that's worth, ballpark?

Messiah
16-01-2007, 07:41
Its what got me started so many years ago. And its brilliant!

Wonderdog
16-01-2007, 11:35
I'll give you a tenner for it :D

Court Jester
22-01-2007, 04:03
I agree the game is good. However lets not overlook the fact that certain fleets were totally un-balanced and the damage templaters were at best, cumbersome. And finally the relliance on tokens for EVERYTHING was just silly.

I still love it though.

Wonderdog
22-01-2007, 09:03
Yeh, MoW is seriously chit heavy... which is pretty, but a bugger to keep track of! The fact that no two damage tracks are the same size is also annoying :D

A nice dice based approach to crew status would be nice, and certain fleets could really use a little balancing (bretonnians etc) but overall the game is definately one of the most elegant GW have ever produced.

#Wonderdog

Jonny Shoreboy
25-01-2007, 11:20
Man o War is a fantastic game, but can be quite expensive to start collecting now. As has been said they are sort after on e-bay and some people are willing to pay big money for it.
The starter box comes with a few ships but you'll quickly need to start buying fleets, and these don't come cheap...

I have all three box sets, a massive Brett fleet, massive High Elf fleet (my favourite fleets in the game) and a dwarf fleet. Also have the 12 ships that came in the original box set. This collection would probably be worth quite a bit(if I ever wanted to sell).

Great game, just be aware of the costs invovled before you rush out and start collecting..

Slekith
25-01-2007, 13:26
get It Now.

Wonderdog
25-01-2007, 13:41
Fortunately you dont need lot of models for a decent sized fleet in MoW (a dozen ships is a lot) The biggest hassle is getting and printing all the rules, cards, counters etc.

Of course, if someone where to do a MoW "Players edition"...

Silvereye
26-01-2007, 13:45
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if fan made printable ship counters were ever created and realeased to the internet?

Gorgrim
26-01-2007, 22:06
I have the game and as said it is tiresome using all the chits and eventually something happens and the chits go flying (like so many wargames). What I have done now is to visit the wonderful Mr Dog's site and print out the fantastic Empire and Bretonnian templates and laminated them. Now everything is recorded using a black, blue and red dry-ease pen.

Fantastic! No more chits.

Just waiting for some other fleet templates, now.

As for the ship counters, I did the same. Found the dimensions of the ships and scaled an image from the net for each to the required size and printed them out. laminated them, cut them out and I was ready to rock and roll.

Doesn't look as good as playing with the correct miniature, but hey at least we are playing it.

KTG
10-02-2007, 04:50
Hands down Man O' War is GWs best game ever, and probably one of the best table-top games ever made. If I saw one on half price I would buy it out of principle even though I already have everything.

On the flip side, you really need the expansion sets to get the most out of the game. The starter set really comes up lite, but it should suck you into spending a ridiculous amount of money on Ebay.

the1stpip
23-02-2007, 20:05
I paid about fifty quid for my Empire fleet, but they are chjeaper as they are more common.

Try getting a fleet from plague fleet, ships can fetch £20 - £30 per squadron.

I have two fleets, but again I struggle to find anyone to play against, I have only played once in five years...

Col_Stone
24-02-2007, 11:29
i paid £70 for the basic box, managed to get an 2 dragonships 4 eagleships and 6 hawk ships for about£ 20, and tamtaram a sealed sea of blood box for £25.. is that a bargain or what!!!
sad thing is i don't really feel like opening the SoB-box:/
the boring part now is finding an opponent, not too many MoW-players in sweden:(

Montford981
27-02-2007, 22:13
Fortunately you dont need lot of models for a decent sized fleet in MoW (a dozen ships is a lot)

Which may have been a reason for GW canning it IMHO.:(

gruubii
28-02-2007, 02:39
I want to get the Plague Fleet and Sea of Blood, expantions pretty badly (mostly so I can apply a little bit of designing magic to reduce 80% of the counters) and keep the fun of the game and play it with some folk, great game.