PDA

View Full Version : Hand Weapon / Enchanted Shield

kaldour
20-11-2006, 04:28
I have always played under the assumption that the hand weapon / shield bonus does not apply in situations where either the hand weapon or the shield were magical... but then I thought to look it up and I can't see why I thought that.

As I read it, the hand weapon / shield combo is a 'special rule' associated with hand weapons [p.56]. Since the rules for magic weapons state that "[m]agic weapons always ignore any special rules that apply to an ordinary weapon of the same type" [p. 121], I can see how this would not work... the magic sword is not a 'hand weapon', so the combo doesn't work.

Now, on the other hand, if one were to combine an ordinary hand weapon with an Enchanted Shield, as I read it, that WOULD result in an additional +1 to armour in close combat. I can't find anything to refute this.

Anyone help me out? Opinions?

Griefbringer
20-11-2006, 05:59
The issue has been debated here a couple of times already - the general opinion was that in 7th edition also magical shields qualify as shields for the "hand weapon and shield" rule.

Odieman
20-11-2006, 09:28
Cool I can then get a 2+ armour save on a warrior priest in combat for a measly 14 points :D.

Avian
20-11-2006, 10:00
Sure, but it will leave him with two WS4 S4 attacks. Not exactly what I would call terribly good.

T10
20-11-2006, 11:24
He's got better protection than most scroll caddies, though.

-T10

Badgobbla
20-11-2006, 12:11
Sure, but it will leave him with two WS4 S4 attacks. Not exactly what I would call terribly good.

That's still pretty good for 14 points imho.

NakedFisherman
20-11-2006, 13:30
Who cares what his armour save is if he can't do any damage? He's just taking up space and points.

It's cheaper to put him on a barded warhorse for the same armour save but with the possibility of actually doing damage as well (even if it's just with a great weapon).