PDA

View Full Version : New Brettonian army - test model

proximity
20-11-2006, 10:21
Hi there,

some of you may have remembered my speed painting an army for the last GT, well I figured I would get started on the next one now so im not caught in the same predicament!

Ive taken a little bit more time, however this is just a test model, so i have made a few shortcuts here and there with the over all painting time still being not overly high.

Baring in mind its late at night so the lighting is **** (it just doesnt get much more yellow than this :<), and the base isnt finished (need to wait for the PVA around the hair, and the water effects to dry, as well as paint the clump foilage), Id really appreciate any feedback/improvements I could make before I kickstart painting a whole army of these.

I intend to do the whole army pretty much in these basic 3 colours, whilst varying heraldy design/patterns. This is intended very much so to be a rank and file quality model, with (hopefully) better quality coming through the more special units and characters.

I'll try get a couple of decent photos to help with feedback tomorrow with a)real light and b)a finished base.
some better photos below, pva's had a chance to dry too.. if luke or someone else with photoshop skills wants to play with those a little, feel free ;D!
25/11/06 - 2 more nights converted up to form the back rank, beginning to paint these right now. Updates to follow
04/12/06 - Back Rank finished of the first knight unit, next rank converted, painting updates to follow shortly.
10/12/06 - 4 knights in total done, bases and movement tray finished - WIP on 2 more knights, expect update within the next few days.

http://proximity.orcon.net.nz/Figures/Brets/testbret0.jpg

http://proximity.orcon.net.nz/Figures/Brets/testbret1.jpg

http://proximity.orcon.net.nz/Figures/Brets/testbret2.jpg

http://proximity.orcon.net.nz/Figures/Brets/testbret3.jpg

Thanks,
Charlie

Luke
20-11-2006, 10:25
Very cool. I played with the first image a bit to make it lighter. Scheme is very nice indeed. I hate all these bright and cheerful bret armies. Considering the historical period they were based on I am happy to see you have captured the dark and worrying imagery perfectly.

Think it could do with a coat of matt varnish though, just to take the sheen off.

proximity
20-11-2006, 10:31
Indeed a matt varnish is on the cards, once I finish the base that is ;)

Figured I'd do it as a blog so that I have a bit of a progress diary as the weeks go by :)

alas, i did not realise topics are uneditable in this forum and planned to change the topic from "Test model" to its relevant state of progress as the army slogs on over the next couple of months :(!

Luke
20-11-2006, 10:36
Ask a mod to do it. I'm sure they will help out.

Toddums
20-11-2006, 10:55
Looks good!

tancrede
20-11-2006, 12:22
looks good to me too.
as said before, try to use some varnish on the decal.
for my own brets:
- coat of gloss varnish on the area where the decal must go,
- put the decal in his place.
- work on the heraldry with paints
- coat of gloss varnish
- finish with matt varnish

then, normally you won't see the decals anymore.

Zodiac
20-11-2006, 13:26
Very good, but it looks dipped. And something I would definately do, is make your own heraldry. Not a decal.
I would do this because:

1: decals are unoriginal.
2: decals are ugly when not applied perfectly.
and with about 60+ horses in a brettonia army, there will be a mistake somewhere. Dont you think? It might sound like a hell of alot of freehanding. But its not that much. I've done it for 60 ulric warriors, painting freehand wolves on the shields. Not too hard though.

Anvils Hammer
20-11-2006, 14:28
looks really nice,

Im envious, Im gonna have to wait atleast a few months before I get to buy a box of these guys and tech them up for my IG army.

proximity
20-11-2006, 18:12
Hmm, I'll try get some better shots up today after work, it definatly doesnt look remotely dipped (!), and alot of the current shineyness is because of the 2 giant lights I had pointing almost right at it, plus it still has a coat of matt varnish coming.

mrtn
20-11-2006, 23:13
I think it's looking good. :)

HolySanguinius
20-11-2006, 23:55
This might seem completely off topic to some, but as a NZer, Do you live in Christchurch? :p

Been to a Crusaders game recently?:angel:

proximity
21-11-2006, 00:22
This might seem completely off topic to some, but as a NZer, Do you live in Christchurch? :p

Been to a Crusaders game recently?:angel:

haha, filthy cantabrians~! Nah im from Wellington, and didnt even think of the cantabury link, was more that i just painted an army of green, painting alot of yellow would make me cry, blue and black doesnt tend to gel too well in my mind so it left me with red and black.

proximity
21-11-2006, 04:34
Ahh there we go, cloudy day today so not the best light but this at least shows the colour a bit better.
Bigger versions of the pictures can be found here (http://proximity.orcon.net.nz/Figures/Brets/big_daylight1.JPG) and here (http://proximity.orcon.net.nz/Figures/Brets/big_daylight2.JPG). A coat of vallejo matt varnish to the sections that transfers were put on pre painting hid them completely :)

http://proximity.orcon.net.nz/Figures/Brets/daylight1.jpg

http://proximity.orcon.net.nz/Figures/Brets/daylight2.jpg

tancrede
21-11-2006, 06:04
man, this is really a very good looking knight! nice colours, nice painting.
now, i will wiat for the whole army and keep an eye on yout thread!

what kind of army will you do? full cav? lots of men at arms and paesants (like an historic medieval army)?
mine is a peasant army with small elite cav units...

proximity
21-11-2006, 06:37
Looking at about 65 peasents, and 39 knights or so (including characters).

tancrede
21-11-2006, 08:37
2000 pts or more ?
sounds good, but i wait to see your army list.

proximity
21-11-2006, 09:18
2250 (general tourny format over here nowadays).

Without going into too much specifics,

Lord with Questing Vow, Warhorse, Morning Star of Fracasse, Enchanted Shield, Gauntlet of the Duel, Virtue of Confidence

Paladin(bsb), grail vow, barded warhorse, virtue of duty

2 x Damsels with warhorses and 1 dispell scroll each

9 Knights of the Realm with musician and standard
9 Knights of the Realm with musician and standard
6 Knights Errant with musician and standard

24 Men at Arms with musician, standard and yeoman
10 Peasant Bowmen
10 Peasant Bowmen (Skirmish)

7 Questing Knights with musician and standard
4 Pegasus knights with musician
Grail Reliquary with 6 additional pilgrims

4 Grail Knights with standard, musician, Warbanner

truth be told i wrote the list while on the shitter at work today with a pen so id better double check it but it should come to bang on 2250 ;D! (cancel that, looks like im 20odd points over, so better make a few shavings, adding in your head for the lose : <)

tancrede
21-11-2006, 10:20
your knight regiments are very....curious, i think.

for me, you have too much knights, and not enough infantry/peasants

proximity
21-11-2006, 10:59
Mmm, the numbers look odd on paper, but 7QK becomes 9 with one damsel and the general, the GK goes from 4 to 6 with the other damsel and the BSB, meanwhile I highly suspect I'll enjoy painting 4-5 peasants alot more than painting one knight to the point where the army list changes based on that ;) 2 more horses prepped, working on a bit more senic of a base (combing 2 bases into one much like regiments, and for the rank infront of that will combine all 3, allowing me to do something a little more creative ;>).. just need to convert the poses with a bit of chopping and a little greenstuff again and hopefully I'll be working on two more ;)!

tancrede
21-11-2006, 12:23
7QK becomes 9 with one damsel and the general, the GK goes from 4 to 6 with the other damsel and the BSB,

:eek: argh !!!!! :eek:
too much points in 2 units, especially for tournament army !
you have nearly 1000 pts (i've made the addition) in this 15 minis (half of your army, man !), and they are easy to kill in spite of the blessing of the lady (which is not the best protection against all that your opponent will throw on this poor knights to gain all this points, and i know what i'm saying !).

so sorry, i doesn't change my mind: you have too much knights, not enough peasantry (and where are your mounted sergents ?! you can't go to war without them to flank the ennemy, kill the warmachines or protect your knights from missiles/spells).
next point is, with the new rules for 2 handed weapons for cav, the questing knights are not interesting to play anymore (but they are wonderful minis, i agree, that's why i will paint, but not playing them).

Voronwe[MQ]
21-11-2006, 13:29
These are some very realistic knights; reminds me of 13th century danish knights versus Gotlandish peasant army (with the mercenaries and twon-people of Visby sitting on the wall and watching the farmers getting massacred.;) ) and sets the rule clearly for how knights should look.

proximity
21-11-2006, 23:30
Hmm, another list that tickles my fancy is:
5 mounted yeomen
5 mounted yeomen
4 pegasus knights with musician
Grail Reliquae with 6 extra pesants (ontop of the 6 provided and the reliquae taking up 6 slots, bringing the unit size effectivly to 18 bases)

trebochet
4 Grail Knights

24 men at arms with command
25 men at arms with command
10 archers
12 skirmish archers
5 Knights of the realm with standard and musician
6 knights of the realm with standard and musician
6 knights errant with standard and musician

-damsel with 2 dispell scrolls and warhorse
-paladin BSB with warbanner, on horse with virtue of duty
-Lord with Grail Vow, enchanted shield, Morning Star of Fracasse, Gauntlet of the duel, Virtue of Confidence
-Paladin with Morning Star, Shield, Virtue of Empathy. (on foot).

problem I have is though, that Im yet to play any games with or against brets, so i just dont know what works.

the questing knight figures i really love and want to paint up, so i think its quite likly theyll be in my army for that reason alone, although i dont think great weapons going down to only +1str when mounted is so bad, as the questing knights have 1 extra str over a knight of the realm anyway - theyre both str 5 on the charge, so considering how close their points are to a knight of the realm, i consider them still a worthwhile unit.

but yes, the list above with ~100 odd pesants does appeal to me :)

proximity
25-11-2006, 02:25
Hiya, bit of a brief update.. have started working on the rest of the unit now, back rank ready to be undercoated. Just bluetacked on shields/knight-to-mount/mount-to-base for now.
Sorry about the crappy pictures, managed to up end a milo into my G15 keyboard a little earlier (no more pretty blue lights :<) so am on my laptop currently : <

http://proximity.orcon.net.nz/Figures/Brets/dsc01574cy7.jpg

http://proximity.orcon.net.nz/Figures/Brets/dsc01575qg5.jpg

http://proximity.orcon.net.nz/Figures/Brets/dsc01578di6.jpg

http://proximity.orcon.net.nz/Figures/Brets/dsc01581tc9.jpg

Off i go a spraycanning now :>

Zodiac
25-11-2006, 10:10
I really like the dude who spears the guy on the ground.. you were inspired by the artwork I suppose? They dont look dipped now btw :D Sorry to have said that, probably bad lightning.

tancrede
25-11-2006, 10:54
really good idea, man, but still a lot of work to do!
i want to see more of your stuff, and i will keep an eye on this thread ('cause i always love bretonnians!)

proximity
25-11-2006, 11:37
WIP obviously, but here are the 2 riders from that piece.
http://proximity.orcon.net.nz/Figures/Brets/resizeddsc01582yx6.jpg

As for the inspiration, I managed to spend a whole day pretending I was working writing up ideas for how I would do each unit in the army etc. Without going too far into it, Im basing my army on a force that...origionally set out on retaking Mousillon, however theyre agenda is beginning to change as the land twists them. Theres a bit more to it but thats the general gyst of it anyway. The other thing im looking at is what happens to the questing knights who are not pure or selfless enough to make it to grail knights, but find perhaps a false lady of the lake :). Im looking at adding a dark twist to the army, without being undead or chaos. This particular unit was going to be riding down a small number of gouls whilst they were mid way through pulling a few bodies from the ground. In practice, theres just not enough room on the base to convey that in any great detail, but im seeing how much i can push it to slip units in.

A long way to go indeed, especially as once I have 2 or so units done, I'll also work on the display base I've drawn up the plans for. That and I have my second job which im liking showing up to less and less these days (raiding in world of warcraft..siiiigh). However im finding myself more and more motivated to paint these days, and now if i burn out on one project I can do a bit of work on the tyranid godzilla army i've just started before going back to this :).

ZAChos
26-11-2006, 00:06
Liking. It. Mate.

proximity
26-11-2006, 05:23
brief update, hopefully will get the shields done tonight and the mounts over the next couple of days.
http://proximity.orcon.net.nz/Figures/Brets/all3.JPG

sillywopper
26-11-2006, 11:57
Could you perhaps reveal some of your painting techniques?

Silly

Voronwe[MQ]
26-11-2006, 12:18
Really well done. It's good you like peasant units, since it is the most realistic (and funny! I've tried to use 1000pts peasants, represented by Battle for Skull Pass goblins, supported by the minimum number of knights of the realm you must have, represented with silver helms, against a friend's knights-and-one-skirmishing-archer-unit Bretonnia army. I got slaughtered, but it's funny neverethless. got to love Virtue of Empathy.) approach and doesn't make your knight's qualitative painting being fuzzied by just using knights. Good luck with the peasants!

EmperorsChamp01
26-11-2006, 13:16
Love the Jousting Knight. You guys make me want to do an empire Army!!! Damn you!

Voronwe[MQ]
26-11-2006, 15:03
Oh, and yes; excellent breaking lance effect through the ghoul!

proximity
26-11-2006, 23:24
Could you perhaps reveal some of your painting techniques?

Silly

Hmm, I was gonna ask if there were any specific parts of the model you wanted info on, but then realised that a)theres not alot to do at work today, and b) if i wind up stopping for a few weeks, im gonna forget how ive done something and have an inconsistent look when i come back to my army, so heres a brief runthrough each of the main parts.

Silver: Was going for a bit of a worn and rusted look, whilst theyre still polishing it with the typical brettonian arrogance, its by no means "out of the box". Started by painting tinbitz all over, heavy dwarf bronze drybrush, heavy boltgun metal drybrush, medium chainmail drybrush, light mithril drybrush.
Then mixed the following : Black ink, chaos black paint, brown ink, scorched brown paint, a very generous amount of water, and applied this all over.. slowly, ensuring no pooling occurs (this was why i didnt use inks at all for a number of years until coming across an artical by some french GD winner, about using inks a different way). The figure then got a light chainmail drybrush once again. Then to apply more direct looking rust, I mixed up a tiny amount of orange ink, brown ink, small amount of purple ink, and a bit of scorched brown paint, with ALOT of water, and applied this directly to the area around/between main joints, and also things like the mouth vent holes in the helmet. Finally, i went over and painted chainmail and then mithril highlights on the extreme edges of the armour here and there to show the more polished looked after side of it.

Gold: Most of the areas to be painted gold got caught in the silver crossfire, so have a bit of a silver base for the first stage to go on smoothly; Dwarf bronze painted directly. Then shining gold, painted all over, filling light recesses but leaving the bronze in the heavy recesses. Burnished gold leaving the light recesses, and as a first stage highlight. 50/50 burnished gold and mithril silver as the main highlight. On larger gold areas only, pure mithril as the extreme edge highlight, used very sparingly.

Red: Pretty standard, Scab red over black undercoat, red gore over this. Then blood red leaving the recesses. 50/50 blood red and blazing orange as a highlight, and blazing orange as the extreme highlight.
If it is a semi detailed area (eg the red on the knight himself, particularly the tunic/robe folds along the legs) this will finish it. If it is a large flat area (basically anything on the horse, and shields), im finding a need to do a 50/50 red gore/blood red mix between those 2 stages, and the blood red must be applied in 3 coats or so in layers watered down more than usual. Also, to help mask the blend lines better, im mixing half blood red half scab red to a wash, and lightly applying a few coats of this.

Black: exactly the same as the red, except stage 1 is chaos black, then about 80/20 chaos black and codex, then about 50/50, then 20/80, with the final highlight being pure codex on only the extreme edges.

Bone: Because I wanted a very clean light look to the bone, i took the following approach. Scorched brown, fully covered with 50/50 scorched/graveyard, so that a fully covering layer of graveyard can go on smoothly. Then desert yellow all over, this becomes the deepest recess. Kammando Khaki becomes the color that will take the place of moderate recesses, whilst bleach bone becomes the base colour and the minor recess filler. Bleached bone and white as the first highlight, a bit more white for the next highlight, and pure wite as the extreme edge here and there.

Browns: the brown used on most areas including the lance is just scorched earth-> 50/50 scorched/graveyard, graveyard as the base, desert yellow as the first highlight, kahki as the final highlight, applying as normal most places, and in a striped "hey look its wood, 'onest!" application to the lance.

Flesh: This was the first time ive had to paint human flesh in probably 5 or 7 years, so i kinda just guessed and am happy enough with it. Dark flesh, mixing up with vomit brown until pure vomit, then mixing from vomit to bronzed flesh, then mixing through to rotting flesh as the final highlight.

Base: the sand is graveyard->desert yellow ->kahki -> bleached bone. The clump foilage is catachan->camo->rotting flesh. As i wanted a bit more of a dead look to the grass, but needed the brighter contrast to make the base work, for the static flock i went out and bought some 'dead' brown grass flock. I then hand mix small amounts (a few pinches, basically shuffling it) with normal GW flock. once im happy with how its mixed up, just apply that as usual. The reids are some special hair that i bought rather cheaply, but im sure and old brush's bristles would be fine. For the marsh puddle I made the ridge out of greenstuff, then painted inside with a dark greenish mix of alot of different inks (basically greens and browns with a few paints too), then applied a layer of woodland scenics wet effects (this is usually just used to make ripples and whatnot and is very thick, but as i wanted a non flat look to it i used this, would not work for larger puddles though), and once it dried for good measure added a layer of gloss varnish.

Transfers: I think ive finally found a way of perfecting this. Im painting over the transfer whilst still on the sheet, and just building up the same way i did the bone as described above. Truth be told im ambidextrous, but not particularly good with either hand, so the fine detail here is really pushing me to my limits of control. After thats done, im cutting the transfer as close as i can to the picture, then applying this. Once the water has dried, I paint the colour of the edges over what is left. Usually a couple of coats of this. Once that's done, the whole area (generally a shield or shield shape) gets 2 or 3 coats of vallejo matt varnish. The result being i cant see where the transfer begins or ends, and it has the same shinyness/not shinyness as the rest of the area.

pretty sure thats everything, haha, talk about a wall of text.. probably more so for my future benefit than anything :P!

proximity
27-11-2006, 05:33
Wow at my photography :( again crappy weather so no good photo's, but am painting up the base now and will do the horses, but here are the finished knights :)

http://proximity.orcon.net.nz/Figures/Brets/resized_DSC01608.jpg

http://proximity.orcon.net.nz/Figures/Brets/resized_DSC01620.jpg

BodhiTree
27-11-2006, 05:38
Thanks for the guide on your metal, I was looking into something like that for my Raven Guard. Everything is looking very impressive. :)

sillywopper
27-11-2006, 11:13
hey,thanks for the elaborate guide!
it's nice to see an obviously experienced painter still using a lot of drybrushing...
I will be stealing some of your things:)

Fangs,
Silly

proximity
27-11-2006, 17:55
only ever for metal really :P and all the washes are to mask it ;)
painted the ghould and prepped the base last night , will finish it tonight and chuck up some pics :D

proximity
28-11-2006, 05:49
some WIP of the base, will finish it over the next couple of hours~.

The usual choices of too bad a yellow lighting, or two blue a lighting, with both being too dark. Ive really gotta a) get some decent lighting for photography and b) learn to use my camera a bit better ;>

http://proximity.orcon.net.nz/Figures/Brets/wipbase1.jpg

http://proximity.orcon.net.nz/Figures/Brets/wipbase2.jpg

http://proximity.orcon.net.nz/Figures/Brets/wipbase3.jpg

http://proximity.orcon.net.nz/Figures/Brets/wipbase4.jpg

proximity
28-11-2006, 07:41
gotta do reids and finish the water, before repainting the edges, but that wont look good until tomorrow, by when the horses will be finished with the whole piece... which of course is just a back rank of my "rank and file" troops i guess, *shrug*.
the next rank will be 3 bases joined together so that should allow a bit more flexability with what goes on the base, hopefully carrying acrross the idea of riding down some ghouls in a graveyard that the marshlands are slowly reclaiming :)
http://proximity.orcon.net.nz/Figures/Brets/resized_DSC01651.jpg

sillywopper
28-11-2006, 08:29
sweet,love the idea of merging three bases together to get a kind of mini diorama.......(yoink!idea stolen:angel: )

mrtn
28-11-2006, 20:50
...The usual choices of too bad a yellow lighting, or two blue a lighting, with both being too dark. Ive really gotta a) get some decent lighting for photography and b) learn to use my camera a bit better ;>

Or c) learn to manipulate your photos in Photoshop or similar. :)

Still looking good. ;)

HolySanguinius
29-11-2006, 02:17
This is a little OT (alot actually) but could you post a link to your autumnal wood elves? I'm thinking of doing a force.

Back OT the knights are looking really good. Are you planning to leave the last rank as 3 seperate models for casualty removal?

proximity
29-11-2006, 04:00
This is a little OT (alot actually) but could you post a link to your autumnal wood elves? I'm thinking of doing a force.

Back OT the knights are looking really good. Are you planning to leave the last rank as 3 seperate models for casualty removal?

Not quite. The 3 front rankers will be seperate for banner capture/champion dying in a challenge etc,
but with the bank rank being 1 model and 2joined seperatly, and the second rank being 3joined, i can make any combo. (if 1 dies, take the single, if another dies, put back the single, take the double, if another dies - take the single and double , if 4 die, take the 3 and a 1.. etc).

my WE wernt so much autumn as just generic-i-need-to-paint-these-in-a-hurry colours :<
I never did take propper photos of the dragon, these are about as good as i have for now.
http://proximity.orcon.net.nz/Figures/Wood%20Elves/GTarmy/resized_DSC01663.jpg
http://proximity.orcon.net.nz/Figures/Wood%20Elves/GTarmy/resized_DSC01666.jpg

There are a whole lot of pictures in various directories here though : http://proximity.orcon.net.nz/Figures/Wood%20Elves/

HolySanguinius
29-11-2006, 04:27
Thanks alot for that.

What prize did you get at the GT? I can't quite remember.

Do you think that dragons are worth it? Any other tactical tips I should know about?

I really like the musician impaling the ghoul, its a nice touch and the bases look awesome. I'll be at Fields next year with my dwarfs (fingers crossed) and if you make the pilgrimage to Auckland I might see you there.

proximity
29-11-2006, 04:47
Nah, dragons really not worth it, it was just a big points sink so i didnt have to paint more models ;)
'Eavy Metal was the award i got, and this armys for the GT next year so will be there :) Although in saying that, if I finish early enough to also finish my Tyranid army by then, I'll take which ever one looks better. I know a couple of others (including the owner of that fantastic wood elf army that got best army) from wellington that are allready prepping armies for the painting and best army awards next year so heres hoping the bar is really gonna be raised and a higher level of competition each year is a really good thing.

HolySanguinius
29-11-2006, 05:33
I understand how the casualty removal works, just wondering what system you were using.

Look forward to seeing more progress.

Are there any must have wood elf units in your opinion? I don't really like the treeman model, but the rules and fluff makes me want to take one. Same goes for dryads.

I will definately have wardancers, way watchers and warhawk riders, the models are just too cool.

Lord of Skulls
29-11-2006, 10:17
Your Knights are looking excellent, and have really made me want to get started on my own;)

Also, I took the liberty of playing around a little with one of your pictures in the G.I.M.P.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a202/Lord_of_Skulls/resized_DSC01651edited.jpg

Is that closer to the real colours?

proximity
29-11-2006, 11:21
I should finish the piece friday night (so about 48 hours from now, work and wow getting in the way :p), so will take some proper lighting photo's then, and will edit out any retardo lighting.

Went and got stuck into a campaign tonight with my wood elves, figure might get a couple more games in before i sell them to do the next 2 armies properly, so not alot got done tonight.

http://proximity.orcon.net.nz/Figures/Brets/resized_DSC01677.jpg
http://proximity.orcon.net.nz/Figures/Brets/resized_DSC01682.jpg

ZAChos
29-11-2006, 20:32
I want to do a brett army now.

I really do.

proximity
02-12-2006, 05:33
just about finished the last horse for that base, but has been a busy few days so have got hardly any time in >_<
at least the sun came out today, allowing me to show what the colour actually looks like:
http://proximity.orcon.net.nz/Figures/Brets/resized_lanced.jpg
http://proximity.orcon.net.nz/Figures/Brets/resized_lanced1.jpg

BodhiTree
02-12-2006, 16:25
The whole thing looks fantastic. The dynamic pose and even the spurting blood are spot on for me.

Astador
02-12-2006, 16:42
Looking good! making me want to buy and paint some Bret.s up!

proximity
03-12-2006, 03:55
Back rank all done, working on next rank right now. Depending on the space, im hoping to have a goul pulling a body out of a grave as part of the base, i suspect there will not be space to do this however.

http://proximity.orcon.net.nz/Figures/Brets/Backrank1.jpg

[edit] have taken all the mold lines off, and have done a few minor greenstuff changes to add a bit of difference, willget a photo or two up tomorrow before i start painting :)

proximity
03-12-2006, 22:37
Im at work so cant really browse around looking for it at the moment, but i remember once upon a time owning/seeing figures that have their lances not in their hand, but kinda in a leather sling / brace on their side. If anyone stumbles across this post, and remembers the figure/how it was done, this is something i'd quite like to replicate, so any information would be much appreciated, otherwise im just gonna have to wing it.

ZAChos
03-12-2006, 22:55
The models you're thinking about are old metal knights. some of the knights who had swords in hand had their lances slung at their sides. Shouldn't be too hard with a bit of clipping, some green stuff and some brass rod to replace cut bits of lance.

Kotobuki
04-12-2006, 16:31
The 5th Edition Grail Knight Champion (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=9947020302001&orignav=301116) had just such a set up. Those legs are far smaller than the current batch of models though.

proximity
04-12-2006, 18:07
Yeah i was just looking at how it was done so i could make a greenstuff sling :> thanks for the pic tho, alot of help.

Kotobuki
05-12-2006, 05:32
Here's a bit of a closeup of the model. Really, the lance just has a chain attached to the bottom of the handguard and the belt. And there may be a ring attached to the stirrup that the base of the lance sits in. It could just be that the lance has a gold ring as decoration, I'm not sure.

proximity
11-12-2006, 05:14
Havnt fallen off the face of the earth ;)
heres a quick update. A couple of comission on in my spare time slowing progress, i dont normally do comissions so its a bit..shaky territory for me ;)

http://proximity.orcon.net.nz/Figures/Brets/dec1101.jpg

http://proximity.orcon.net.nz/Figures/Brets/dec1102.jpg

http://proximity.orcon.net.nz/Figures/Brets/dec1103.jpg

http://proximity.orcon.net.nz/Figures/Brets/dec1104.jpg

cheaky
11-12-2006, 06:56
That's awsome :) The knights look alive!

proximity
11-12-2006, 08:24
Oh also, if an admin could change the title of this thread to something more appropriate for it now being the blog of a whole army, and not just a test model that would be much appreciated :)

Erestor
11-12-2006, 09:11
There is some seriously nice work here.

I'll be watching for more. Shameless Idea Thief that I am

m3ntor
11-12-2006, 09:38
These are really great. Love the colour scheme and positioning and everything. Once you get going how long does it take you to finish a knight?
Keep up the good work.

proximity
11-12-2006, 09:46
Its taking alot longer as i cant really 'get going' generally :( but, for 1 knight - probably about 45 minutes for all the metal, 1 hour for all the black and red, 1 hour for all the browns, 45 mins for the various bone parts, half an hour for any other detail, and 1 hour for the transfers. So all up probably around 5 hours for a knight. Out of that time though, probably a good hour is spent procrastinating, and all up im finding it hard to go for more than an hour at a time on them. I believe all the people now who say that once they got started on the knights they hated it ;(.
We'll see when it comes to the rest of the army however.

m3ntor
11-12-2006, 09:57
Well that sounds fairly reasonable, and is somewhat encouraging. Although, I am spending roughly the same amount of time painting a single guardsman, so I know where you're coming from.

mrtn
11-12-2006, 18:04
Nice way to keep a theme! The similar heraldry makes them look like part of a big family. :)

As to changing the thread name, I'm sure the Admin isn't reading every thread. ;) PM a mod to get it changed.

proximity
11-12-2006, 18:15
I was more hoping one might one day stumble upon it, as i imagine they get a bit bombarded with annoying pm's from people ;) theres certainly no urgency

tancrede
11-12-2006, 19:28
i said i will keep an eye on this thread, and i'm here!
if all your army is at the same level, it will be really amazing.

Paulus
11-12-2006, 23:27
Really nice work!

I love army's like this where you can see that someone has put so much effort into giving every mini character, eventually when I ever finish an army I hope to follow your example.

HolySanguinius
12-12-2006, 08:21
Very nice. I continue to lurk expectantly.

liamrob
12-12-2006, 08:33
I normally don't like WHFB but once i've seen some of these excellent brettonian dudes i just wanna go buy and paint some.

I've heard the rules are a lot harder and complicated to 40k tho is this right or is it just a lie???

Otherwise keep up the excellent work.