PDA

View Full Version : I Dig Giant Robots

Damien 1427
20-11-2006, 12:32
It's true. I've something of a lifelong obsession with giant robots, so it's only natural I'd want to take this into wargaming. I've the rules to Heavy Gear (Not Blitz, though. No-one around here seems to sell DP9 stuff) and the demo rules for Classic Battletech, but I was curious if there were any other games of giant robot combat out there? Partially to try out, but also to give inspiration as I'm trying to write a ruleset of my own around mecha.

While we're at it, any decent miniature lines? Can't say I'm much of a fan of the Iron Wind Metals Battletech stuff, and I've a small collection of various Heavy Gear mechs in various states of paintedness. Again, just for inspiration and in this case possible purchase.

jazzdude78
20-11-2006, 15:53
CAV would generally be regarded as the other big robot game out there
reapermini.com for info
sadly v2 has been in limbo for a while now though it should still be dled for free from cavhq.com
Ogre is kinda part of that genre as well but has a generally small fanbase
Dirtside can support walkers as well (though in truth is like a realistic epic)
EDIT: forgot Ground zero games link (dirtside manufacturer the rules might still be free off the page)
http://www.gzg.com/

CyberShadow
21-11-2006, 10:46
Add another vote for CAV from me. The second edition is promised (yet again!) to be with us before Christmas. This has, for me, the best mini line out there for stompy robots. If it does ever see the light, it should do well with a strong rules set.

Damien 1427
22-11-2006, 10:25
Can't seem to find the CAV rules on their site, but I read the summary on Wikipedia and it seems alright. I can't say I agree with a card system, being someone who prefers to just use dice, but if I track down a copy I'll be willing to give it a whirl.

However, I cannot agree on the models. They just don't do anything for me. To be honest, the only "robot" models I genuinely like seem to be the Pig Iron War Droids and the Heavy Gear line.

'spose I could start fighting battles between my Minicons. Christ knows I've enough of the little blighters.

CyberShadow
22-11-2006, 13:53
The original CAV rules appear every now and again on EBay, as do the two Journals of Recognition (Janes Guide for CAV). The second edition is under wraps until release, but version 1.5 is downloadable from www.cavhq.com - although the second edition game has left this behind now. The there are data cards on www.mil-net.net which should give a hint at the coming rules.

If you like the Pig Iron War Driod, have you looked at the Heavy Gear stuff (DP9)?

Senbei
22-11-2006, 20:00
If you want practice with the new CAV rules... I've heard that Reaper's 'Warlord' game uses a similar set (bar in a fantasy setting).

Damien 1427
22-11-2006, 20:23
If you like the Pig Iron War Driod, have you looked at the Heavy Gear stuff (DP9)?

Read the rest of the sentence. :p

Also, the Mil-Net site doesn't seem to work for me. But thanks for the suggestions.

swordwind
22-11-2006, 20:38
At a stretch theres always Warmachine. Steampowered robots!

Damien 1427
22-11-2006, 21:02
At a stretch theres always Warmachine. Steampowered robots!

Tried to get into Warmachine three times. Just never clicked. Which is odd, as it combines my love of steampunk fantasy, giant robots, and straightforward combat.

Sleazy
23-11-2006, 07:50
the Marauder suits in SST are pretty sweet, just built a "Bigfoot", SST isnt really about that sorta thing but the models are generic enough to be used elsewhere (i'm surprised i havent seen any in IG armies yet).

jazzdude78
23-11-2006, 09:32
i'm surprised i havent seen any in IG armies yet

the plastics are ages fiddlier than anything GW made and are nowhere near as modifiable
and the light infantry while cheap arent that great either and with only 4 different poses the unit looks rather bland (GW pewter wise can have 10 guys all unique)

oh yea a shout out to AT-43 while prepainted and plastic they do have some relatively big walker type thingies out there

so does Rezolution as well

you could just start combining all your favorite robot sculpts into one army and then use a ruleset like defiance (by MJ12) or No Limits (free for dl http://www.wargamesunlimited.com/nolimits/index.html) or the now dead aetherverse (someones got it somewhere, try amazon)

Damien 1427
23-11-2006, 09:36
I think my problem with AT43 is that they are prepainted, and the larger mechs remind me of the Heavy Gear Striders (Which are by far the weakest models they produced). The powered armour that looks vaguely, vaguely Stealth Suit-esque is gorgeous though, and I really do hope they release those as regular, unpainted, kits.
Dunno about the rules, but if an English download of a starter booklet is around I'll give it a shot.

CyberShadow
23-11-2006, 10:45
Read the rest of the sentence.

I've a small collection of various Heavy Gear mechs in various states of paintedness

Nope... dont see it! ;) Sorry.

If you want practice with the new CAV rules... I've heard that Reaper's 'Warlord' game uses a similar set (bar in a fantasy setting).

This was initially true, and something that I very much disagree with. Reaper attempted to write second edition around their RAGE rules engine. This then evolved and each change seems to have taken it further away from the original RAGE concepts. The influence is still there, but I would not say that it is currently that similar.

Also, the Mil-Net site doesn't seem to work for me. But thanks for the suggestions.

Really? Works for me every time.

I think my problem with AT43 is that they are prepainted

Agreed. Totally.

You could also look at the forcoming Urban Mammoth Metropolis minis. You could use the rules and just drop the infantry squads.

erion
23-11-2006, 14:32
The cav rules are at CAVHQ (http://cavhq.reapergames.com), in the featured downloads section. You'll have to register to see them, but it's free.

And it's not a card system. It's entirely possible to play CAV withoout using the company-printed datacards.