PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Powers - Which Is The Best All-Around?

RedGob
06-07-2005, 13:21
Thinking of starting Chaos, problem is which one?

I just got done with an Ork force, which I loved converting/modelling, and have fun playing with.

Now I'm looking for another challenge. However, I also want one that will perform well on the tabletop.

Right now I can't decide between Nurgle and Slaanesh. Nurgle has some great modelling opprotunities, but is hard to play from what I've gathered. Slaanesh/Emperor's Children also has some potential, but I know little about how they perform on the table. So I'm opening up a discussion about the strengths and weaknesses of all the Chaos powers.

If your a Chaos player, which one have you had the most fun with? If not, which one has impressed you the most?

Xander-K
06-07-2005, 13:26
I reckon nurgle, altho they don't have much long range firepower, true grit makes bolter units viable, and toughness 5 makes your troops super-hard.

x-esiv-4c
06-07-2005, 13:37
Nurgle are the best all-rounds. The fact that you can have a squad of T:5 lads, infiltrating and suddenly dropped by a mob of plague bearers is very pleasing. True grit makes them a bitch to take down in CC and lets face it...Nurgles rot rules.

Karhedron
06-07-2005, 13:41
Having been on the receiving end of Emperor's Children I can vouch that they are quite effective. They are one of the less played flavours of Space Marine which makes them more interesting. Packs of daemonettes are one of the most effective combat units in the game. 6 of these lovely girls with Rending claws come in at less than 100 points. Nothing to be sniffed at.

They also have the advantage of being totally different to Orks when it comes to painting. Painting the browns and greens of Death Guard would be a bit similar to Orks imo.

Reinnon
06-07-2005, 13:51
i have to say EC.

the have the least amount of restrictions of all the cult armies and their special rules make them great in both range and close combat.

not to mention that their sonic weapons are just plain nasty

Yorkiebar
06-07-2005, 14:05
Tzeentch, purely because of the fluff.

malika
06-07-2005, 14:08
If you would play Word Bearers or Black Legion you had pretty much all of the best of each God IIRC.

Inquis. Jaeger
06-07-2005, 14:31
EC.

Siren Woowoo!! :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

grizzly ruin
06-07-2005, 14:54
Personally, I go undivided.

As for Pure Cult armies, ruleswise - I'd go with EC.

With DG a not too distant second.

EC can put out an impressive amount of firepower. But that's not what makes it so great, it's the fact that it's mobilefirepower.

Add to that the assault ability of daemonettes and daemonettes on steeds (not to mention actual EC squads and "hidden" lords with the Lash), and you've got a pretty effective force that can both shoot and assault well.

Fluffwise is all a matter of personal preference.

DigitsDavid
06-07-2005, 15:03
Play Word Bearer and field whatever demons you desire! Keep your opponent guessing as to what's going to spew forth next!

Puffin Magician
06-07-2005, 15:12
I'll have to also say that Slaanesh probably offers the best all-round army. Granted, they're not as tough as Death Guard, not as powerful as World Eaters, and not as ...expensive as Thousand Sons, but the Emperor's Children have a very scary mix of excellent shooting options as well as plenty of units capable of holding their own in an Assault.

Your basic 10-man [not Favoured, I know] Troop unit can dish out between 20 and 30 Storm Bolter shots, and with Warp Scream and Fearless they are still an effective combat unit.

I'd be contesting between Nurgle and Slaanesh too as they're both among my favourites, but Nurgle has quite a few limitations [no Fast Attack, Havocs can't have Heavy Weapons, etc] which might stop you from choosing the army because it's incapable of being flexible to your playing style.

Some guy (UK)
06-07-2005, 15:14
Can you have zombies in a nurle force, as im currently planing to make a squad of zombies, which should lead up to a very small nurgle force. i was inspired by WD 288 or 298 where in chapter approved there was a thing on how to make monsters and zombies. if i created those zombies, could they then be used in a nurgle force??
i voted for nurgle as they look really cool btw!!

C ya Some guy (UK)

Puffin Magician
06-07-2005, 15:16
A Lost and the Damned army can have Plague Zombies; if you want them in a Chaos Space Marine army, just count them as Plaguebearers.

x-esiv-4c
06-07-2005, 15:23
I'm not sure that Plague-zombies can be used in a Death-guard army, can anyone clarify this please?

grizzly ruin
06-07-2005, 15:27
A Lost and the Damned army can have Plague Zombies; if you want them in a Chaos Space Marine army, just count them as Plaguebearers.

That's the best idea really.

If you would play Word Bearers or Black Legion you had pretty much all of the best of each God IIRC.

Just to clarify here, Word Bearers can use the daemons from any god, but may not use Marked units of anykind what so ever.

RedGob
06-07-2005, 16:23
Good replies. I'm suprised that no one has mentioned Iron Warriors yet, possibly because they are the Chaos army most mentioned in the same sentence as the word 'cheese' ?

Also, let me mention that the opprotunies for a good-looking army is as important as game performance, though any Chaos army is ripe for conversions.

Puffin Magician
06-07-2005, 16:37
Well I rather like the Iron Warriors because of their fighting style, but I don't believe they're the best all-round. Obviously they're more oriented towards shooting and I wouldn't bother to put many [if any] combat units into an Iron Warriors army, but that's just me.

They're only as "cheesy" as they player who writes the list, just like every other army.

RedGob
06-07-2005, 16:39
They're only as "cheesy" as they player who writes the list, just like every other army.

Good point. Don get me wrong, I don't believe in whining about cheese. I expect an opponent to make the most out of his list.

Kjell
06-07-2005, 17:06
The Emperor's Children (oh, such delicious irony ;) ) are not a bad choice. If I had the money to I'd collect them myself. Why? Because sonic weapons are so cool. The sonic blaster is quite good. For five points you basically get a bolter with assalt 2 or heavy 3. The blastmaster is nicely flexible as well. Thanks to their warp scream, EC are better than your average Marine up close, too.

Also, to the best of my knowledge, they are only considered unfair if you take the souped-up Daemon Prince and try to give it Siren.

... Wait. Aren't the minor psyker powers in the codex optional, or was this changed?

Xander-K
06-07-2005, 17:36
yea minor psyker power are optional you have to pay for them as upgrades, its stupid because you can't really take them without risk getting that pathetic siren power, they seriously need to do something about that power.

sephiroth87
06-07-2005, 23:31
The psychic powers in the chaos codex are optional to take, but your opponent cannot object to them being taken. They're allowed in any game.

As for armies, I think the one most ripe for conversion is the Lost and the Damned. Aside from being a VERY powerful army, you can convert every single thing in the army. Along with this, you can take units from Imperial Guard and chaos, which means that you have a huge variety of stuff to make your army with.

As for the type, most people play nurgle (almost all) and khorne lost and the damned armies. However, you don't see many tzeentch or slaanesh lost and the damned armies. With enough imagination, you could make a stunningly converted army with Slaanesh elements. Very fun, effective, and convertable...

The pestilent 1
07-07-2005, 00:06
i play a mostly infantry nurgle cult force.
with but one vehichle in my regular army (a defiler, oh how i loves my fidi:p )
and a daemon prince (how could i not tool the model that represents me with every killy thing available :rolleyes: )
i can honestly say, i lose almost every game ;)
but i have a damn good time seeing how many power-armour toting, imperial fools i can mush with my fourty two rapid-fired bolter shots.
not to mention the mess that two groups of seven plaguebearers make on.. anything.
(chaos lord? check. Ork warboss? check. Seer council? check. Tyrant? check.
C'TAN? oh yeah :evilgrin: )

Jal'knock
07-07-2005, 00:16
Slaanesh list is the best all round list IMO. Their lords are the best. Their basic foot troops give everyone aroun -1 Initiative so their aspiring champs are much more effective. Their vehicles are the same as any other and their daemons are excellent.

Sister_Sin
07-07-2005, 11:42
It really depends on what is meant by 'best'. Best overall, best at a certain thing, etc. I chose World Eaters, in part because my largest army is World Eaters, some 8 thousand points worth and counting.

They are easy to play, especially for newer Chaos players. Since they always charge the enemy setup is the biggest point at which tactical thinking comes in. You can do a few things during the fighting, but its limited unless your enemy makes a mistake. I don't use vehicles as a rule, save only in huge games and the single Land Raider is possessed anyway so no riders. Mostly though, it runs three dreadnoughts, two tricked out for CC and hordes of berzerkers. Sometimes bikers in large numbers, mostly not.

I win more than I lose with them, but the victories are always very close. I *always* have fun with them and they are more challenging than the other armies to my mind. So, for the best challenge, World Eaters work in my book.

Mileage always varies

Sister Sin

Dakari-mane
07-07-2005, 14:27
By defenition Undivided is the best allrounder. An undivided army can contain everything from the codex.

Inquis. Jaeger
07-07-2005, 15:01
Yes, but all-roundness doesn't lead to title 'best list'. I would say that EC or DG can pretty much do what the Unidivided list can do, but better and with a theme

Frodo34x
07-07-2005, 15:42
The psychic powers in the chaos codex are optional to take, but your opponent cannot object to them being taken. They're allowed in any game.Are you going to stop them from objecting?

Everything is technically 'opponents permission only', as you do not have to play against someone if you do not want to.

sephiroth87
07-07-2005, 16:02
It was in response to the question about whether they're allowed in games. I should have said that they were legal, not objectionable. It's the same situation where some special characters are legal to play in any list, but others need your opponent's permission to use.

malisteen
07-07-2005, 17:27
Black Legion is the best of all worlds. Sure you could emperor's children and get a 13 point discount on each squad you take. Or you could play black legion and instead have access to obliterators to compliment your mobile infantry firebase.

Black Legion is great, undivided chaos space marine troop squads are the best value for the point in the list, and it's nice to have all the options laid out in front of you.

Of course, In lacking the limitations of other Legions, Black Legion also lacks a built in sense of direction, so it can be harder to figure out what you're doing at first.

But the truth is, chaos is chaos, so they're all pretty bloody powerful, and you should choose according to which models/color schemes you prefer.

Kjell
07-07-2005, 23:11
It was in response to the question about whether they're allowed in games. I should have said that they were legal, not objectionable. It's the same situation where some special characters are legal to play in any list, but others need your opponent's permission to use.
I checked the codex, and apparently Chaos Sorcerers are officially allowed to use a set of optional rules.

Say... Are the general minor psychic powers printed in the 4th ed. book?

UnRiggable
08-07-2005, 00:57
i dont know wich one this is, but the ones that look like egyptian (gold/ blu stripes) look the coolest

Icewalker
08-07-2005, 02:23
My favorite is World Eaters. The easiest (and the one I hate most) is EC. They are most well belanced and are a bitch to kill in almost any respective. They get a lot of shots on the move (come on; all their weapons are assault weapons) and do very well in close-combat. I hate them becuase of the models. I don't hate women, but I believe that it's kind of wrong. I use Tzeentch. A very clean (in a sense) army. I like Nurgle, but lack of heavy weapons annoys me.

Reinnon
08-07-2005, 06:52
i play thousand sons, but the fact of the matter is i wouldn't recommend em for a first time player, as they are fairly difficult to win with.

ReDavide
08-07-2005, 07:45
Just to clarify:

The Chaos minor powers printed in the Cult sections are fully legal parts of the Chaos codex.

The general minor powers printed in Chapter Approveds are optional.

Xavier
29-07-2005, 00:11
Nurgle or Slaanesh

Both have their strengths, but I'd say slaanesh is better for my style of play

I dont like khorne at all so, wont say them although the list is an ok list and while I love tzeentch the 40k list doesn't do them justice

fubukii
29-07-2005, 01:36
Iron warriors rock so i sai undivided.

DonIzz
29-07-2005, 07:12
I say EC but they've already been explained.
I think Undivided comes in second, but only because of Black Legion and Iron Warriors.
IW have all their Ordnance and Obliterators, while BL have flexibility and potentially 6 Havoc Squads, three of them marked.

Yorkiebar
29-07-2005, 07:15
(with spelling/grammar corrected)

I dont know which one this is, but the ones that look like Egyptians (gold/blue stripes) look the coolest.Thousand Sons (Tzeentch).

useless
29-07-2005, 08:33
i hink emperors children are quite good because of there deamons and sonic weaponary

sanctusmortis
29-07-2005, 18:12
Nurgle usually instantly gets the "cheesemeister" label. I've never seen them used in a balanced way, ever.

I love the Thousand Sons. Love them. Them and Word Bearers make the Chaos book for me.

Kjell
29-07-2005, 22:17
Just to clarify:

The Chaos minor powers printed in the Cult sections are fully legal parts of the Chaos codex.

The general minor powers printed in Chapter Approveds are optional.
But, Chaos Sorcerers can pick general minor powers at a points cost of 10 points instead of 15 points. I've checked, and in the codex it doesn't say anything about those powers being optional. Yes, in the WD where they are printed it says that theya re optional. But not in the CSM codex.

I am still a bit puzzled by all this.

Catterjee
30-07-2005, 09:09
I'll toss in another vote for Slaanesh. Its a great list overall.

bertcom1
30-07-2005, 09:38
I dont know about absolute effectiveness, but I like my Word Bearers.

I think they make a great opposition for my Sisters.
Sets up great backstory as to why the armies are fighting, when my friends and I swap armies around.

Sisters vs Word Bearers - has to be one of the bigger grudge matches in 40k.
Fanatic Nuns of the Emperor against Devoted Servants of Chaos.

Its good imagery as well, the Canoness reads teachings from the Book of St. Lucius to inspire the Sisters, while the Dark Apostle utters counter-arguments to inspire the Word Bearers.