PDA

View Full Version : Mounted Characters in Infantry Units

IronNerd
22-11-2006, 19:35
First, I understand this is legal (I'm new at the Fantasy stuff), correct? Assuming so, is it a commonly done thing. My specific example is my Orc Warboss. By putting him on a boar he gets +2 armour and the boars attack too. Additionally, he could break away from the unit and charge something by himself, which I could see being potentially usefull. So, how many people do this? Does it work?

Thargrund
22-11-2006, 19:58
1) yes its legal
2) not very common
3) not very good unless you havent got the mnodels to put him in a cavalry unit
4) pointless of you are going to give him the extra movement and not use it
5) imo just no, please : )

Morgrin
22-11-2006, 20:07
I can't recall if that rule was changed in 7ed, but in 6th ed that meant that he could be singled out as a target even inside the unit.

luckyguy
22-11-2006, 20:10
It was changed in 7th. I believe models in a unit can not be targeted unless they are US 5 or greater.

Thargrund
22-11-2006, 20:10
i havent really read up on this, because it never applies tome or my opponents, but thats another reason NOT to use this tactic :)

Mephistofeles
22-11-2006, 21:04
They cannot be singled out anymore.

I use this for my Battle Standard Bearer, just to give him the extra save which I would like him to get by magical protection but cannot give him.

It's good for armour save purposes, bur not for much more actually. The extra move might feel "potentially usefull" but it rarely is.

Da GoBBo
22-11-2006, 21:25
Indeed, still a very valid use of yer boars and I think we will see a lot of this. Ye need all the armour ye can get.

Latro
22-11-2006, 21:49
Let's see ...

- it gives extra armour
- it gives an extra attack (in some cases even multiple attacks)
- it pays for itself by replacing additional models in the unit
- it gives the character a longer charge-reach
- it can give a unit several fear-benefits
- the character can't be targeted inside the unit like in previous edition

... all in all a very viable option.

samw
22-11-2006, 22:23
Yep. The reason you don't see it is nothing to do with effectiveness, it's simply because most people haven't adapted their armies from 6th yet, where this was a major liability. In addition, for those who have the majority of their troops on 20mm bases it can mess up the look of them a tad. I suspect we will see rather a lot of this soon, it makes things like demonic mounts far more attractive.

Snotteef
23-11-2006, 00:22
I always mount my Warboss and put him in an infantry unit. Why wouldn't you? +2 Armor save and an extra attack (which strikes at S5 on the charge) is just too good to ignore.

Shaitan
23-11-2006, 11:39
I always mount my characters in infantry units.

The main reasons for this are....
- +2 armour save (Sorcerers with a 2+ save are very nice)
- The extra movement gives the character the oppurtunity to jump to an other unit when it has to.

Forces Unknown
24-11-2006, 21:08
Its also a pretty cool look, the leader on horseback with his regiment of regular soldiers on foot swarming around him. It clearly marks the character out as someone of status!

Move Fast Hit Low
24-11-2006, 21:31
why?

just why?

woytek
24-11-2006, 22:25
why?

just why?

there are plenty of arguments given...

TKitch
24-11-2006, 23:39
A Mount for a character (steed) is what? 20ish points with Barding?

You give your character +2 Armor (not magical, so you can give it to a magical BSB) and reduce the number of models in the next rank by 1. That saves 10-20 points, depending on the model. So, yeah. What's the issue?

Nothing wrong with it. AND you can give him a lance now, for +2S on the charge.

szlachcic
25-11-2006, 03:01
I love how people say this is stupid just because they think it has no tactical value. Some people play for fun and therefore will like to include things in their army that they think look good or will be fun. In my new Empire army I will definitely be mounting my Elector Count on a warhorse and placing him in an infantry unit. It just looks neat, plus it gives a better sense that he is actually marshalling his troops. Not to mention some of the other advantages the others have listed.

Tate
25-11-2006, 04:14
In summary

Pros:
Extra Armor Save (+1/2)
Extra Movement to charge out or join another unit
Extra Attack
Takes up the space of one trooper
Spear/Lance gives strength bonus
Army specifics (like cold ones passing on immunity to fear)

Cons:
Only +1S with a great weapon
Army specifics (like cold ones passing on stupidity)

The other cons relating to targeting with missiles or magic are no longer around in 7th. The model still gets its look out sir roll if there are 5 rank and file models in the unit. All in all, a very good option for several characters (not all).

Da GoBBo
25-11-2006, 10:25
Yup, but does a cold one also pass on their immunity of fear to the unit? Thought this was only the case for the rider.

Latro
25-11-2006, 11:12
Yup, but does a cold one also pass on their immunity of fear to the unit? Thought this was only the case for the rider.

Page 78 of the rulebook answers all your questions :)

showmydog
26-11-2006, 00:04
It does sound like a good idea, the given advantages are quite convincing.
But im not entirely comfortable with the look of it. (20mm bases) and the idea of my empire characters not standing shoulder to shoulder with their comrades.

Lord Of The Night
26-11-2006, 01:11
i think that the pro's outway the cons and intend to do so with my warboss

Da GoBBo
26-11-2006, 11:13
And don't forget spellcasters. The need for protection within a unit is greater than last edition. This has their abvious disadvantages but when mounted, it's easier to leave the unit and go for cover.

javaguru
27-11-2006, 04:25
I've been using the new rule heavily in my VC army as characters can't be targeted and can move as a fire brigade to support endangered areas...very nice.