PDA

View Full Version : Forgeworld Newsletter #123

Puffin Magician
06-07-2005, 18:28
Today's Forge World Newsletter contains details on several new releases for both Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000, but our main feature is on our third big Imperial Armour book which is due to be released in the next few weeks. We also have some new experimental rules for a few of our 40K and BFG models for you to download and try out too.
Thx,

Ewen Little.
Forge World.

Huge new Imperial Armour book off to print!
For pretty much the last twelve months Warwick and Tony have been working on the latest in our range of large Imperial Armour books. "Imperial Armour Volume 3: The Taros Campaign" is not an encyclopaedia of rules and history about Tau armoured vehicles, oh no! To try to give you an idea of what you can expect from this huge 320 page book here is a brief synopsis: "When the Imperium discovers that the Planetary Governor of Taros has been illicitly trading with the alien Tau Empire, selling valuable mineral resources, the Imperium are forced to remove the traitor. The Tau respond in force and the desert mining world of Taros plunges into war. First the Space Marines, then Imperial Guard regiments from Tallarn, Elysia and Cadia move onto Taros. This book details the history of that war, the units involved, the strategies employed, the battles won and lost. Inside you'll find, in exacting detail, information on Tau vehicles, aircraft, their allies and the Tau Fleet. Also covered are new fighting machines of the Imperium. There is background, interior details, technical specifications, illustrations, colour schemes and rules for using all these vehicles and aircraft in games of Warhammer 40,000. Imperial Armour Volume 3 is heavily illustrated with 120 colour and black and white pictures, 110 full colour vehicle profiles, over 80 technical drawings, plus organisation charts, tactics and scenarios to add new depth to the Warhammer 40,000 universe. There are also army lists for the Elysian Drop Troops, the Tau forces in Epic and additions to the Tallarn Imperial Guard regiments and Tau forces in Warhammer 40,000. Appendices contain all the rules you will need to use Super-heavy vehicles and aircraft in your games, as well as detailing matters as Tau colour schemes, markings and aircraft variants." We believe that this book will be a great read for anyone with an interest in Warhammer 40,000. It isn't just 40K; there are also rules for Epic 40,000 and BFG in there too. On the link below we have a picture of the front cover of Imperial Armour Volume 3 and the contents page. In the next Forge World Newsletter we hope to be able to show you some of the pages from the book and to give you a release date.

Link:Click here to take a look. (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/imparm3.htm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Death from the Skies
Being a loyal Space Marine collector/sometimes player, I think I might have to give our resident Inquisitor a call because I must admit that I really, REALLY like Daren Parrwood's new Chaos fighter. The Hell Blade quite obviously comes from the same twisted family as the Hell Talon but I think it is just downright beautiful! Why? Could be how it manages to be sleek and jagged at the same time but the Hell Blade just ticks all the right "Must have one!" boxes in my head. For such a compact aircraft, 4 inches/100mm wide and 10 inches/250mm long, the Hell Blade will still pack a fair punch with two twin-linked autocannon, nearly the same firepower mustered by the Imperial Thunderbolt! Warwick should have some experimental rules ready for the Hell Blade soon so watch this space! The Hell Blade is available to pre-order now and orders will ship out from Monday August 1st.

Link: Take a look here. (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/hellblade.htm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let us pray!
From the simple roadside shrine on the road to Middenheim to the huge Fortress Monasteries of the Space Marines, churches and temples take many forms in both Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 so this next release will fit quite nicely in either universe. In its bare form the Warhammer Shrine could just as easily be dedicated to Sigmar and tended by Warrior Priests as it could be raised to the Glory of the Emperor and guarded by the monastic Dark Angels. The Warhammer Shrine measures in at a fraction under 12 inches/300mm long and 7 inches/180mm tall making it one of our largest pieces of terrain; certainly it will be a target of the foul enemy and must be defended! With the potential of this model we decided early in the project not to make it solely for one race or army, letting you decorate it using icons and statues as you like. Of course we couldn't resist making at least one add-on pack ourselves. Our pack of Bretonnian Reliquary Items transform the Shrine into a revered hall honouring The Lady includes woodcuts, gargoyles and statues. Of course this pack is available separately from the Shrine and can be used to adorn the walls of a Bretonnian fortress or any other grand Bretonnian building too! Released on Monday August 1st and sent out that week, the Warhammer Shrine and the Bretonnian Reliquary Items are both available to pre-order now.

Link: The photos are just a click away... (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/shrine.htm)

Beware; Sniper!
As part of our "Imperial Armour Volume 3" releases we have some new Tallarn Desert Raider Snipers. The Tallarn Desert Raiders are renowned for their hit and run tactics. Tallarn troops are excellent marksmen and heavy weapons are not always conducive to their fighting style, some Tallarn infantry squads discard these and instead equip their best marksmen with a long las. This pack of three multi-part Tallarn Snipers is available to pre-order from today and will be sent out from Monday August 1st .

Link: Click here to take a look. (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/tsnipers.htm)

Let's try this!
As promised, we have a set of experimental rules for the new Space Marine Siege Dreadnoughts for everybody to try as well as a set for the BFG Eldar Haven Spire. There is also a rules update for some of our Tyranid monstrosities that will make them work a lot better in conjunction with the recently released Codex Tyranids.

Link: Click here to go to our Downloads section (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/downloads.htm)

Forge World on tour
The second half of the year will see Forge World attending even more shows around the world, giving you the opportunity to see our displays of painted models, ask questions and to buy any models you want. This Sunday, July 10th we will be in London at Alexandria Palace for Conflict London which promises to be bigger and busier than ever this year. Next we will be going to a new show, well new to us anyway, The War and Peace Show down in Kent. War and Peace is the world's largest military vehicle and collector's fair and last year there were over 3500 military vehicles on display. This five day show runs from Wednesday July 20th through to Sunday July 24th and there will be living history re-enactors, over 1000 trade stands and special events in the open air arenas. We are really looking forward to the War and Peace Show as there will be lots of things for us to see and do, one of which is to rumble round with our huge radio-controlled Baneblade! Of course we will have a large display of our newest and best models on show and lots of model kits available to buy. A few days later Forge World will be over in the US for Games Day Chicago on July 30th, our fourth and final US Games Day of the year. There we will have a large display and sales stand and later in the afternoon I will be judging Golden Demon entries, trying to find a winner for the coveted "Forge World Best of Show" trophy.

Link: Go to the Forge World Events section. (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/shows.htm)

New Pre-orders?
All of the models we have shown you today are available to pre-order now at our online store and of course you don't pay a single penny until we are ready to start shipping the orders out.

Link: Click here to go to our online store. (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/index.html)

I really wish FW would fix their idiotic formatting with all the weird symbols instead of exclamation points or quotation marks. Editing that is a royal pain!

Anyhow, reactions? I'm drooling over the ToC page... p208 has a Manta. Very intrigued as to what that means...

x-esiv-4c
06-07-2005, 18:30
I'm really surprised by the detail given about the Taros campaign, I was under the impression that Cadia wouldn;t be involved!

plasmadaemon
06-07-2005, 18:38
i really like those snipers, i think they have enormous amount of detail on them.

highmarshaldave
06-07-2005, 18:45
I'm really surprised by the detail given about the Taros campaign, I was under the impression that Cadia wouldn't be involved!

To be fair, I'd have been more surprised if they weren't. After all, everyone knows that Cadian regiments get around more than the proverbial ****.

Anywho, sweet assed models: both the snipers and the Hell-Blade fighter. The rules for the seige dread are prety ditsy. Which is good, since the model aint that bad either.

Now, if only they'd do those Black Templars Termy pads. . .

Dave out.

Ruskins
06-07-2005, 18:51
OH MY GOD MY POOR MONEY!!

i may as well empty my bank balance now.

*crosses fingers for tallarn officer + staff*

x-esiv-4c
06-07-2005, 18:51
Is that chaos fighter the 2nd or 3rd chaos aircraft they have now?

Brimstone
06-07-2005, 19:15
I'm really surprised by the detail given about the Taros campaign, I was under the impression that Cadia wouldn;t be involved!

I don't know where you got that idea, they have always been listed as involved.

http://www.pbase.com/brimstone/image/42162908.jpg

Is that chaos fighter the 2nd or 3rd chaos aircraft they have now?

Well the 2nd, the Hell Razer and the Hell Talon if you don't include the Dreadclaw.

Sildani
06-07-2005, 19:16
Second. Ther's also the Hell Talon.

I don't know about the Hell Blade... would I want a flying tuning fork in my army?

Vberg
06-07-2005, 19:23
All and all not a particulary impressive newsletter IMHO.

Taros campaign book sounds good but all and all i cant just get the inevitable 45 price tag out of my head. :( oh well if i wanted such things i would not have became a student.

The tallarns, barring the rough riders (just the actual riders mind) ive been disapointed with the tallarns. Especally those lasguns, finally a gun that looks as puny as the stats suggest ;) .

The helltalon dosent do the machines described in Dan Abnetts Double Eagle justice IMO.

The shrine is quite nice but at 75 who's going to buy it?

Yet again i seem to be in the majority so FW must be doing something right then.

my_name_is_tudor
06-07-2005, 19:23
I like that page 208 of the Taros book, inside the chapter on tau vehcles is marked 'Manta' ;)

boogle
06-07-2005, 19:24
as my Adobe is playing up again what are the dread rules and the rules for Gargantuan Nids?

thanks

Brimstone
06-07-2005, 19:28
Go the downloads section and CTRL F5 to update them, they should appear then.

That's what I had to do.

plasmadaemon
06-07-2005, 19:49
I like that page 208 of the Taros book, inside the chapter on tau vehcles is marked 'Manta' ;)

i think GW is ripping off Unreal Tournament now ;)

Looked at the hellblade again, and i think it's too long to fly properly.

boogle
06-07-2005, 19:51
actually managed to get it to work, nice rules BTW

x-esiv-4c
06-07-2005, 19:51
i think GW is ripping off Unreal Tournament now ;)

And I think titans are too tall to walk :)
This is the 41st millenium man, free your mind!

Brimstone
06-07-2005, 19:54
as my Adobe is playing up again what are the dread rules and the rules for Gargantuan Nids?

thanks

Sorry didn't read your post properly. :o

The Dread rules are the inferno cannon and assault drill which is a regular dread power weapon with a heavy flamer, plus a special rule for assaulting bunkers.

The nid rules are just clarification on the mass points and fearless although I haven't compared them yet.

It's a Chaos vehicle built in the Eye of Terror, I doubt the aerodynamic department is that large. ;)

rkunisch
06-07-2005, 20:03
This is a most impressive newsletter. :eek:

There is my hope shattered that the Necron Pylon might be included in IA3 (yeah, I know it does not really fit). I just hoped that I can skip the IA Update. :cries:

The shrine is quite nice but at 75 who's going to buy it?

Me, of course! :p It just fits perfect into the rest of the Warhammer village and it is not more expensive than the Coaching Inn...

Have fun,

Rolf.

sigur
06-07-2005, 20:13
Forgive my unknowingness brothers, but what is the Legio Ignatum? Never heard of them before. Are they the guys who set the pyres on fire, put the Promethium into the tanks and give you fire if you want to have a ciggy?

Seriously, are they constructing titans with flamers or what?

worldshatterer
06-07-2005, 20:28
Legio Ignatum are one of the titan legions .

Grand_Marshal_Kazan
06-07-2005, 20:44
[QUOTE=Brimstone]I don't know where you got that idea, they have always been listed as involved.
QUOTE]

I notice that there are no mention of the two space marine chapters on the content pages shown on the Forgeworld preview.

Voss
06-07-2005, 20:50
Hmm. The tallarn snipers are sweet models. Nice detail.

The taros book, I'm a little disappointed in. I was expecting more new units, most have been kicking around on their website for a while.
I'm surprised the Manta is only four pages- it is a titan-equivalent after all. (And so much more, since it doubles as a heavy bomber against spacecraft.)

Dreachon
06-07-2005, 20:53
I'm definetly gonna try to get my claws on one of those Hellblades.

Mr_Rose
06-07-2005, 21:45
I still want to know why there are pictures of what appears to be a Tau Manta dropship on the cover of IA III, as well as a line in the contents which indicates that the Manta will have rules...

Because, y'know, it would be practically impossible to produce a 40K scale Manta; you'd have to be totally nuts to even think about trying it.
I reckon you'd also need to practice on something else just as big but less technically demanding, just to be sure you could even make molds that big... It'd have to be something huge like a castle or something.
And you'd already need to have an established design so that your sculptors don't come to you half way through the dsign process and start asking annoying questions like "how many wings does it have?"

In short, here's hoping :D

Vberg
06-07-2005, 22:26
I think the 40k fortress FW has made has shown that FW are perhaps begining to think bigger. So fingers crossed we may see yet another level of FW madness. This manta thing seems like one hell of a beast. Just to see it in any form of a model would be brilliant.

Sephiroth
06-07-2005, 22:34
I still want to know why there are pictures of what appears to be a Tau Manta dropship on the cover of IA III, as well as a line in the contents which indicates that the Manta will have rules...

It will. Read the first post in this thread, on the newsletter. IA III Covers Tau forces in 40K, Epic and BFG.

So, the Manta is likely for Epic.

Bruen
06-07-2005, 22:34
Because, y'know, it would be practically impossible to produce a 40K scale Manta; you'd have to be totally nuts to even think about trying it.
I reckon you'd also need to practice on something else just as big but less technically demanding, just to be sure you could even make molds that big... It'd have to be something huge like a castle or something.

You are so right - it would be madness for Forgeworld to try and produce such a big model considering that they have no experience producing large models :P

Oh wait! (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/fort.htm)

Seriously though I cannot imagine that it would be unfeasably large.

Looking at the Epic Manta model I would say its going to be around 3 foot across based on the Epic model being about as wide as 7 Hammerheads and 40k Hammerheads being 5 inches wide.

The killer is going to be the weight, resin isn;t light so this is going to be a beast of a model to move.

Flame Boy
06-07-2005, 22:53
Indeed. If they were ever to make a Manta in 40k scale you'd need you're own monotask servitor to lift it and it would probably collapse under it's own weight....

t-tauri
06-07-2005, 23:02
I think Tony Cotterell's comement when asked was something along the lines of the manta would need it's own garage.

Lord Setra
06-07-2005, 23:18
I want that book along with the other two books.

But it will cost so much, my poor bank balance can not take it.

StugMeister
06-07-2005, 23:29
Good to see they've got Epic rules for the Tau in there!

I like the HellBlade, kinda reminds me of one of the enemy ships from the old cartoon - GalaxyRangers!

Sgt John Keel
06-07-2005, 23:38
It will. Read the first post in this thread, on the newsletter. IA III Covers Tau forces in 40K, Epic and BFG.

So, the Manta is likely for Epic.

There are a separate section for the Epic Armageddon. Question is if the Mantas four pages contain rules or just background. How's the layout in the previous books?

/Adrian

just
07-07-2005, 03:02
[QUOTE=Brimstone]
QUOTE]

I notice that there are no mention of the two space marine chapters on the content pages shown on the Forgeworld preview.

I see no need to include anything other then a sentence about them being there. After all, their commad structure, colours schemes and vehicles are pretty much covered in IA II and Codex: Space Marines. No need to waste valuable pages on rehashing that material.

Ubik_Lives
07-07-2005, 06:08
Though they are 'wasting' pages on redoing the basilisk, bombard, and griffon from Imperial Armour Vol. 1.

Puffin Magician
07-07-2005, 06:52
The Basilisk and Griffon entries are indeed odd. There's already 6 pages in IA I about them and I really doubt that something completely new will be anywhere within their rules at all. Maybe just to fit the FW armour variants in there?

And hopefully this'll be the last incarnation of Warhound Titan rules we'll ever have to pay for [v1.pdf, IA Update '02, IA Update '04, now this...], although I'm curious to see what kind of fluff FW has written for the Titan Legion

The Manta would be a model on a scale nearly unheard of; within the realm of those large-scale trains that can pull a dozen kids around, with the same amount of ridiculous detail and sheer amount of material as an Ork Mega Gargant or Imperial Emperor Titan. It's less of a model and more of a detailed Hang Glider. I don't seriously think they'll ever make a model as it would be nearly 4' across and require a huge amount of model experience just to assemble and the expense would assuredly be a bank-breaker [~1000?].

I'm rather optimistic about it; I'll give it a shot eventually. It's not that big, after all.

Wiseman
07-07-2005, 06:56
i like the look of those snipers how much do they cost though? knowing forge world ill owe them my soul to order 3 of them

Brimstone
07-07-2005, 07:12
i like the look of those snipers how much do they cost though? knowing forge world ill owe them my soul to order 3 of them

4.00 each but you could have checked that by looking at the Forgeworld site.

boogle
07-07-2005, 09:00
Re the Bombard, this will be the 1st time that the rules have made it officially into print

highmarshaldave
07-07-2005, 09:25
The killer is going to be the weight, resin isn't light so this is going to be a beast of a model to move.

You're kidding me, right? Its about a third of the density of plastic. If it was wite-metal, then maybe. But resin, no.

Dave out.

Keravin
07-07-2005, 09:32
I really like the snipers. Might have to get some to convert for Tanith.

rockywuff
07-07-2005, 09:38
I love the hell talon's sleek look. And at only 40 ("only" considering it's a FW model..) I might pick one up just for the heck of it..

I'm expecting it to be a tad cheaper pointswise than the helltalon, probably around 100 points.. From the pictures it looks like it's armed with two reaper cannons, possibly long-barreled.. I can live with that. :)

alterion
07-07-2005, 09:47
heck i am impressed may consider a hellthingie.. excited by the manta .. been pondering oevr the one on the cover but i think that 's an epeic one..forgeworld prices are gettinhg more "reasonable" relative to some of their older prices but... 4 tau tanks inside= drool

Bruen
07-07-2005, 10:04
You're kidding me, right? Its about a third of the density of plastic. If it was wite-metal, then maybe. But resin, no.

Yeh but remember that most large plastic models are hollow because they are made from panels, while most resin models are solid.

I have a resin Barbed Hierodule and it ways a lot more than a plastic Land Raider even though they are about the same size.

my_name_is_tudor
07-07-2005, 10:56
I think there is some confusion amongst GW and here (and well everywhere) about the size of a manta, we only have a few things to go by:

1. a manta is 'the tau equivalent of a titan' to paraphrase - implying its big, but a warhound isn't that big...

2. the epic model is about the width of 5 or 6 devilfish - not very big at all, about 2 and a half feet 40k scale.

3. The BFG model is about the width of two baracudas nose to tail, I'm not sure how long a baracuda is - but im sure other people know.

But these cales do seem to sort of vary, and to add even more confusion, we get people from GW saying it 'will need its own garage', yeah if by garage you mean largish box...

Bruen
07-07-2005, 11:30
1. a manta is 'the tau equivalent of a titan' to paraphrase - implying its big, but a warhound isn't that big...

But remember that the Warhound is the smallest Imperial Titan, Emperor Titans are much much larger. I have no idea what their dimensions would be on a 40k scale but various sources talk about them having bastions on top where whole regiments of troops can stand and shoot at enemies around the titan. This strongly implies that Emperor Titans are really massive.

Plus there is the problem that equivalent in power or equivalent in usage does not necessarily mean equivalent in size.

3. The BFG model is about the width of two baracudas nose to tail, I'm not sure how long a baracuda is - but im sure other people know.

My 40k Barracuda is about 10" long as far as I can remember (I am at work).

Ubik_Lives
07-07-2005, 11:39
You also have to remember that those are the space combat version of the Barracuda. They'll be much larger than the atmospheric versions.

charlie_c67
07-07-2005, 12:42
Someone wanna tell me what the difference between the MkIV and MkV dread arms are? They look almost the same!

my_name_is_tudor
07-07-2005, 12:51
The Mk iv ones have a smaller shoulder panel bit, and the angled part of it is a concave curve, whereas the Mk v one isnt.

Avian
07-07-2005, 13:23
Heh, that Hellblade looks like a pod racer from Star Wars Episode 1, without the pods.

philbrad2
07-07-2005, 13:39
It's a Chaos vehicle built in the Eye of Terror, I doubt the aerodynamic department is that large. ;)

Plus if you've read the Double Eagle book the Hell Razor/Talons are vectored thrust they dont need to rely on aerodynamics alone to keep them in the air. As well as arcane arts I'd imagine there's more than enough thrust to keep it in the air. A lot of modern fighters are not aerodynamically stable and need the onboard flight computers to keep them in the air, the F16 and Mig 29 are two such examples.

I LOVE the Hell Talon (damn I mean Razor:) )and have been waiting for it since the concept sketches emerged last year. Damn you Forgeworld I was psyking myself up to get a Bombard for my IW as a Basilisk stand in and you release this ... damn you all to hell!!!!!

Hmmm... like the Siege Dread rules too... DRILL... DRILL... WHOOSH -"Who ordered extra crispy??" :D

:chrome:

Sildani
07-07-2005, 14:28
The thing is, it doesn't look much like the Hell Razor concept art that FW released at some far-past Games Day... it looked more like a small Hell Talon, with a pair of angled air intakes directly beneath the cockpit, under the fuselage. In my opinion, that's what they should have stuck with.

It appears to be armed with two twin-linked autocannon - might that armament be too light? Does it have the ability to carry missiles? That would make it much better and more versatile.

Vberg
07-07-2005, 14:45
[puts on petulant little kids voice] The Thunderbolt totally owns anything chaos can throw at it. Its the spitfire of the 40k universe.

Cant beat the thunder bolt, especally in terms of the amount of heat its packing. I want one!

Sorry.

The boyz
07-07-2005, 15:50
Wow I really like those Tallarn snipers those minatures look well good.

Frodo34x
07-07-2005, 16:29
What sort of dimensions do the two Chaos fighters have? It doesn't seem to make sense that one is 40, and the other 95

charlie_c67
07-07-2005, 16:29
In reference to the discussion on FW newsletter #122....
Oh look! Another news letter with no new SM releases :rolleyes:

Anyway, do the MkIV dreads have different rules for them or is it all aesthetics?

alterion
07-07-2005, 16:52
2. the epic model is about the width of 5 or 6 devilfish - not very big at all, about 2 and a half feet 40k scale.
lol.. 2 and a half feet= small? in otherwrodds the width of half a gaming table..

philbrad2
07-07-2005, 17:44
What sort of dimensions do the two Chaos fighters have? It doesn't seem to make sense that one is 40, and the other 95

Well one is a 1 man fighter and the other is a fighter bomber and has a crew of 3 :rolleyes: (by your command... sorry of course it does lopok like a Cylon Raider ... :angel: )

IIRC the Talon is about 16" long I'd imagine the Razor to be about 12". BRIMSTONE bought one last year he'll tell you ...

Brimstone
07-07-2005, 17:55
I'm afraid it's in storage with the rest of my CSM army so I can't measure it.

The dimensions given by Philbrad look about right though, the HellBlade looks to be of a similar length but is nowhere near as wide.

Jahrael
07-07-2005, 18:07
Anyway, do the MkIV dreads have different rules for them or is it all aesthetics?

The MkIV is the resin dreads by Forgeworld and there is no rules differance but if you buy the MKIV arms for your GW dread you will have a tough time attaching it to the body. Hope that helps.

my_name_is_tudor
07-07-2005, 20:49
@alterion: 2 and a half feet is small when you consider someone said the manta would 'need its own garage', at that sort of width it would be nowhere near the largest FW model built.

Sildani
08-07-2005, 13:27
A while back, FW themselves said that a 40K scale Manta would have a wingspan of about 6 feet. You could play a full game, using the Manta as your table.

There's a lot of talk about the Manta and whatnot, but nobody yet has asked if the Tau will get a super-heavy tank like virtually all the other armies have. I think that's a bit of a void in the FW support for Tau.

charlie_c67
08-07-2005, 15:42
At present, don't forget they haven't released the Taros book yet so we don't know. There could be one in there. Also the Tau fluff is still reletively new so while IG and ork superheavies have had time to mature, the tau haven't as yet.

Darkness
08-07-2005, 16:32
I'm off to the War and Peace show on the 20th July, and I'm hoping that Forge World will have Imperial Armour 3 there. If so, I shall most definitely flick through the pages and will ensure to get some piccies of artwork, etc. - Unfortunately, cant get pics of rules for quite obvious reasons :D

philbrad2
08-07-2005, 16:54
Write up on the newletter for the Taros book does say it covers rules for 40K/BFG/E:A as the Tau Epic rules haven't been published elsewhere (to my knowledge) I suspect the Manta in question is the Epic one not a 40K sized behemoth.

Axel
08-07-2005, 16:59
And hopefully this'll be the last incarnation of Warhound Titan rules we'll ever have to pay for [v1.pdf, IA Update '02, IA Update '04, now this...], although I'm curious to see what kind of fluff FW has written for the Titan Legion

Hopefully they will finally come up with rules that justify the point sink that such a titan represents. At the moment the Titan is fluff, but not competetive.

Regarding the Manta... I would rather welcome a Leviathan. Forming a mobile regimental base it would work nicely with the newest GHQ published in the WD, and it should be more in the range of a Thunderhaw size- and pricelike. Better yet, give us both...

Xisor
08-07-2005, 17:47
Hmm I wonder, a Leviathan Army Carry-case from FW? Fully made outside and game-usable if necessary, but with as hollow interior 'nicely layered' and foamed so as to actually allow it to carry a regiment or two :D

Xisor

Bruen
08-07-2005, 17:56
Hmm I wonder, a Leviathan Army Carry-case from FW? Fully made outside and game-usable if necessary, but with as hollow interior 'nicely layered' and foamed so as to actually allow it to carry a regiment or two

Thats a sweet idea, but I wonder if resin is tough enough to withstand this kind of abuse.

Darkness
08-07-2005, 18:18
Simple answer? No.

Axel
08-07-2005, 20:24
Hmm I wonder, a Leviathan Army Carry-case from FW? Fully made outside and game-usable if necessary, but with as hollow interior 'nicely layered' and foamed so as to actually allow it to carry a regiment or two :D

Looking to the Epic sizes, a Leviathan seems to be only slightly larger then a Baneblade, at least on the ground. He is higher, though, but I doubt that even a full platoon can fit in, given its armament and command tasks.

For the carry-case idea we could use that other, much larger command vehicle whose name currently escapes me.

Puffin Magician
09-07-2005, 01:43
The Leviathan is much larger than a Thunderhawk. Not so much so in dimensions but quite a bit larger in mass.

As for the Manta? I also think [well, know] that the "big enough to need a garage" is bogus, as I've measured photographs of the Manta with Devilfishes, and compared the width and scale to that of a 40k Devilfish. By my guess the wingspan is a bit shy of 4', and here (http://photobucket.com/albums/v124/Puffinmagician/Tau/?action=view&current=Tau_Manta.jpg)'s a drawing that needs a big reworking but is basically the way I want it.

The BFG model is about the width of two baracudas nose to tail...
BFG scale is about as reliable as Rumours from a GW Redshirt. Battleships aren't in scale with Cruisers, Frigates aren't in scale with Capital Ships or Fighters, [who aren't in scale with each other either, compare a BFG Thunderhawk to a Cobra Destroyer and you'll see what I mean!], and don't bother about the Planetkiller/Blackstone Fortresses/Ramilles.

Looking to the Epic sizes, a Leviathan seems to be only slightly larger then a Baneblade, at least on the ground. He is higher, though, but I doubt that even a full platoon can fit in, given its armament and command tasks.
That was the old Epic, where the Capitol Imperialis, along with the Leviathan and it's sister-landships [Cyclops, Colossus] were miniscule compared to what they should've been, and the models around them. IMO the Leviathan should be about 20" in length, far larger than the barely-10" Baneblade. It is physically possible to fit 100 infantry inside the hull.

For the carry-case idea we could use that other, much larger command vehicle whose name currently escapes me.
I presume you mean the Capitol Imperialis (http://www.netepic.org/GALLERY/albums/album40/imggraCapitolImperialis5.jpg), which is about 48" long if scaled properly... maybe a suitcase rather than a carry-case?