PDA

View Full Version : Calvary hero inside infantry...rank bonus?

Toddums
23-11-2006, 08:05
If you have a mounted hero inside an infantry block (leading in the front), do you get a rank bonus if you have 20 men in the infantry block? Sorry if this has been debated before..

Toddums
23-11-2006, 08:17
wooops, should have posted in the rules section. sorry

warlord hack'a
23-11-2006, 09:45
well it depends on how wide your block is ;-). but to answer your question: yes, you get the rank bonus as if the rear end of the cavalry mount (horse, boar, wolf, cold one etc.) is a seprate model: it takes up two infantry places so it counts as a troper in the 2nd rank, doesnt make things more difficult than they are really (and do remember: a character on mount has Unit Strength 2 so remember that when calculating outnumber bonuses etc.)

Toddums
23-11-2006, 09:47
Thanks hacka, I was just curious because I swear I read a huge thread about it a few months ago. There were tons of arguements and it was confusing; it made me cry.

Milgram
23-11-2006, 09:51
well... this is normally handled like this (and I do so as well), but RAW would be that the second rank is placed BEHIND the cavallry hero, not around. as it looks stupid and makes no sense, it is played with common sense. :)

T10
23-11-2006, 11:49
The rules allow us to mix models with different base-sizes in the same unit.

They fail to instruct us to treat larger bases as being the equivalent of one, two or four infantry models for purposes of determining ranks and files. Each model occupies one "space" in the unit.

This can result in some awkwardly arranged units.

Personally I prefer aesthetics to rules-compliance in this case and suggest you arrange the unit as neatly as possible.

It is still possible to *calculate* the appropriate number of ranks, which should satisfy most.

-T10

showmydog
26-11-2006, 00:07
The mounted character only counts as one base (and model) for the purposes of determining ranks.
And as Milgram said 'the second rank is placed BEHIND the cavallry hero'
which clarifies it wonderfully.
Thanks,

IronNerd
26-11-2006, 00:55
Although I guess it's not a super important issue (unless you only have one extra rank) I have to disagree with some people here. The way I read, it says "...formation is at least 5 MODELS wide...", so I would say the mounted character counts in both ranks. Like I said, kind've a technicality, but that's how I see it.

Gorbad Ironclaw
26-11-2006, 08:08
As said, they completly failed to say how larger models work inside units. The best guide would be to use the old 6th ed rules for it, and just count them as the number of models they displace.

warlord hack'a
26-11-2006, 08:44
I agree, it is such a natural thing to just line up your models as a block (making a cav model count in two ranks) and I think that if the rulesmakers indented it otherwise they would have made some explanation on how to make the 2nd rank line up behind the hind of the horse or other cav mount. Since there is not one picture in the rulebook showing this formation and it would not only look stupid and be unrealistic but it would also complicate matters as your unit gets deeper in this way I say make one block and be done with it.

So Showmydog, show me the rules where it says otherwise.

DeathlessDraich
26-11-2006, 09:47
As said, they completly failed to say how larger models work inside units. The best guide would be to use the old 6th ed rules for it, and just count them as the number of models they displace.

Or Chronicles 2004 has good pictures too. All that was needed was for the rules' writers to transfer this to 7th ed.
Do you think they failed to do so, so that they could then sell a Chronicles 2007?